Official JTR speaker thread - Page 727 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #21781 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Yea I took forever to decide between the panny and Samsung but finally just bought the Samsung 65 since was cheaper. It's the best panel I've ever owned and gets the least amount of viewing since its in the bar room. The only noticeable difference I could see in best buy magnolia between the pan and Sam were blacks but I'd say both are top 5 panels every made.
Off topic but I should comment anyway. VT50, VT/ZT60, F8500, and the last couple Kuro generations are the best of the best. You really can't go wrong. We learned a year ago that the Panasonics can be calibrated near perfectly up to about 50 foot Lamberts output making them okay for daytime viewing as well as 30-32 FtL reference night.

This is the family room 65VT60 I was talking about. For a FR it's a good setup and includes a PSA XS30 sub with it's twin 15" drivers. There are a couple of ceiling speakers for 5.1. Too bad it's only used for sports now but the front projector/JTR combo trumps the hell out of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	199553

If I were to purchase a flat panel today it would be the F8500. However, the upcoming Vizio P series and especially the R series which will come a few months later "might" wind up being better.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21782 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post
I was unhappy with my JTR and moved up to the Danely SH50 and never looked back since then. Sold the JTR to an American feller on eBay. I am now selling my Danley speaker system not because im unhappy with it but am planning to move out into a smaller home in a new neighbour hood which has easy access to work. Otherwise I don't think I would ever part from them.
I would think the $4K Danley SH50 (passive version) might be a nice upgrade from a $1200 Triple 8LP.

Sorry you have to sell them ...

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #21783 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Good morning JTR brothers. Haven't been on AVS since the Spring. Spent the summer hacking it up at golf courses and lugging the family around for vacation. It's heading into fall and my addiction for college football and HT is coming back. Looking forward to catching up and seeing what everyone is up to.
I was wondering where you were. Sometimes a little break from AVS is a good thing, especially for the wallet.
post #21784 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I was wondering where you were. Sometimes a little break from AVS is a good thing, especially for the wallet.
I hear ya. I always come to AVS with the best of intentions to just educate myself and chat with the boys and it always turns into an "upgrade" cycle...since my stuff is already 12 to 18 months old
post #21785 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1457
First thing, the talk about the sony es55 is good, but you guys should also be considering the jvc4910. I am tossing it on a very lossy screen right now, from close to 16 feet back, and a 138" 16:9 image and it leaves nothing additional to be desired. Most incredible picture I have ever seen!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
It's like The Ring. Precious...

I'm hesitant to discuss other speakers in owners threads. Even if I am an owner.
I don't think most would object here. This is almost as much of a community of fantastic fanatics than owners at this point Heck, I haven't owned JTR for years now, but I still hang around

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #21786 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I don't think most would object here. This is almost as much of a community of fantastic fanatics than owners at this point Heck, I haven't owned JTR for years now, but I still hang around
+1 - I'm just a lurker that chimes in with an oohhh or an ahhh from time to time.
Reddig likes this.
post #21787 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Then i would absolutely upgrade the display. As others have said, you have a pretty good setup right now. I think that you would get the biggest bang for your buck upgrading your display. Projectors are great, but if you don't want/can't go that route, you can still find the 64 in Samsung f8500. I have the Panny zt 60 and it is the best display that I have ever seen, but the Samsung is not far behind. In fact, a lot of people prefer it to the Panny and I can see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
The Vizio P series full array local dimming LCD's should be coming out next month and might well be worth waiting for.

http://www.vizio.com/p-series
Yea Buzz, I took a good look at those after you mentioned them to me awhile back. How are the blacks supposed to be on those? I have read that all of these new UHD TV's are all lcd/led and have black level issues and horrible lit up letterboxes on the movie 2:35:1 ratio. I read quite a bit in a thread mark herringer I think is is name (imagic is username) and all the purists said it is a tough time for videophiles because quality is going downhill and the blacks on theses lcd/led new tvs were bad. You would know though. Plus N8 said there are some good ones out there...

Anyway jedimastergrant got me thinking quite a bit today about a DIY AT screen and a decent PJ like the JVC RS45 range. I have been thinking today how my center is a Triple 8 LP and I could build a system/bracket that spaces the screen away from the wall to fit the T8 in the TRUE center position. I could also build into the screen holding frame a decoupling system for my nasty dual Submersives. I am opposite of a concrete slab so...I could do about a 95-115 ballpark diagonal screen. I think the immersion factor may win it for me. As a few said going for LCR 228 Noesis is really tempting but...Also how are the fans on projectors? Are they loud? What would an opinion be for the closest tolerable physical distance to the MLP?

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
post #21788 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Also mentioned in one of the PM's I got was selling my dual submersives and being able to build a couple good ported subs like JBrown's monsters and then sell the Triple 8's and get 228 Noesis. That could be swung by just wheeling and dealing and then still do the PJ and screen setup! But I was given a great deal on the Submersives from a GOOD friend and I am not entirely comfortable at this point just selling them away. Besides I feel the dual submersives are the cornerstone of my system currently. But it spurs thoughts nonetheless...

plus ported subs would eliminate single digits and low teens which could be looked at as a plus for PJ and screen movement worries...

For sale: Ben Q W7000 Projector W/four pairs of 3D glasses, Denon 4520 AVR, Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB, Silver Ticket 92" Fixed frame Aluminum PJ Screen. PM for any interests :)

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-06-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #21789 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Yea Buzz, I took a good look at those after you mentioned them to me awhile back. How are the blacks supposed to be on those? I have read that all of these new UHD TV's are all lcd/led and have black level issues and horrible lit up letterboxes on the movie 2:35:1 ratio. I read quite a bit in a thread mark herringer I think is is name (imagic is username) and all the purists said it is a tough time for videophiles because quality is going downhill and the blacks on theses lcd/led new tvs were bad. You would know though. Plus N8 said there are some good ones out there...

Anyway jedimastergrant got me thinking quite a bit today about a DIY AT screen and a decent PJ like the JVC RS45 range. I have been thinking today how my center is a Triple 8 LP and I could build a system/bracket that spaces the screen away from the wall to fit the T8 in the TRUE center position. I could also build into the screen holding frame a decoupling system for my nasty dual Submersives. I am opposite of a concrete slab so...I could do about a 95-115 ballpark diagonal screen. I think the immersion factor may win it for me. As a few said going for LCR 228 Noesis is really tempting but...Also how are the fans on projectors? Are they loud? What would an opinion be for the closest tolerable physical distance to the MLP?
Fan noise on the Sony 55 is very minimal. I don't ever recall a time that I was sitting down and watching something and thought "boy, that projector is loud." This is true even sitting directly below the projector (about 28" clearance).
Archaea and jlpowell84 like this.
post #21790 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Fan noise on the Sony 55 is very minimal. I don't ever recall a time that I was sitting down and watching something and thought "boy, that projector is loud." This is true even sitting directly below the projector (about 28" clearance).
dlbeck, last time I read AVS in the Spring you were 70% done but just saw your avatar and went to your build thread. I know I am late to the party but it turned out flipping awesome!!! Great job.
Archaea likes this.

Last edited by Frohlich; 08-06-2014 at 12:25 PM.
post #21791 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:

We won't know how good they are until we get our meters and eyes on them. That's why I said "might". All we're asking for are Kuro/Sharp Elite blacks AND VT60 calibration ability. "If" it happens it'll be the TV to buy despite typical degraded off angle viewing.

If you can incorporate a FP I'd say do it in a heartbeat for movie viewing. With a high end audio system there is no comparison despite lousy blacks. In flies in the face of the well known fact that contrast ratio is the most important picture quality aspect. The immersion effect overrules the "rules".

My last FP theater was 20-25 years ago and was nothing special due to low screen luminance and standard def material. My new theater, however, with both excellent picture and sound has made a believer out of me.

I can't hear the fans on my Sony and have no other experience.

Distance is dependent on screen material and viewing angle. AT screens need a little room but I can get very close to my XD with it's mini holes. There are varying ideas re: viewing angle, THX, etc. Personally I believe you can nose up to a flat panel, see where too close begins, and calculate the angle from there. Then translate to a big screen. My front row is 11' from a 120" wide 16:9 screen and I could go closer by a couple feet with no problem. My second row is about 16' and I find that not as pleasurable.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #21792 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1457
Quote:
Also mentioned in one of the PM's I got was selling my dual submersives and being able to build a couple good ported subs like JBrown's monsters and then sell the Triple 8's and get 228 Noesis. That could be swung by just wheeling and dealing and then still do the PJ and screen setup! But I was given a great deal on the Submersives from a GOOD friend and I am not entirely comfortable at this point just selling them away. Besides I feel the dual submersives are the cornerstone of my system currently. But it spurs thoughts nonetheless...

plus ported subs would eliminate single digits and low teens which could be looked at as a plus for PJ and screen movement worries...
Then DO IT! Focus on the projector situation first, then focus on the screen later. If I were you:

1) Budget for great projector vs good PJ (Looking in the $1800-$2500) assuming your screen could be less than $100 all-in
2) See what comes of your speaker sales and work on improvement of the front stage.
3) Come back and look at a "real" Projection screen. It will improve that much more, but in the between time you may decide you want to go bigger, smaller, or to a different format, and the good news is, you are only out $100 bucks. By this point in time you will have the best grasp on what format and size screen you really want. I remember when I built out my 106" screen and thinking, "There is no way I would ever need bigger." Well, I moved from that about a year later up to 126" and now am at 138" and spent quite a bit of money during the process to get here. Now I am tossing the jvc 4910 which would be one of the "great" projectors onto a $60 screen and no one would know the difference between it and a $5,000 firefox screen if I didn't tell them...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #21793 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Tom from PSA posted this on Facebook. Amp sale. Others available One Day
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...uestid=1014927

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...wer-amp?pfm=sp

--
Thanks for the link!! Bought two 1000's, don't need them right now but I am sure I can find a use for them!
post #21794 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
First thing, the talk about the sony es55 is good, but you guys should also be considering the jvc4910. I am tossing it on a very lossy screen right now, from close to 16 feet back, and a 138" 16:9 image and it leaves nothing additional to be desired. Most incredible picture I have ever seen!!!!
Holy smokes! I have one sitting in a box in my basement. I guess I should finally buy a screen and actually use it!

Quote:
Yea, true that.

The mystery speaker is(drum roll).......

The JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor

Although this is not news to many if my pm box is any indication
countryWV likes this.
post #21795 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks for the link!! Bought two 1000's, don't need them right now but I am sure I can find a use for them!
Always nice to have an amp or two laying around.
post #21796 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
dlbeck, last time I read AVS in the Spring you were 70% done but just saw your avatar and went to your build thread. I know I am late to the party but it turned out flipping awesome!!! Great job.
Yeah Frohlich - you were my first poster on the thread - wondered where you disappeared to
post #21797 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Holy balls!!! 20,000! Man those look nice, has anyone heard them?
poolratt and Gorilla83 like this.
post #21798 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Quote:

Depends on the port tune of the cabinets, I can hit single digits with my four subs. Now I know four monster cabinets isn't ideal for most but they work for me. I have extremely solid output down to 10hz, probably more then dual SubM HP's would even put up and for less then 3 grand, kind of hard to argue against that if you can live with big cabinets.

I was also going to sell my 228HT's and build something, but the more I think about it the more I think I'm crazy to do that!....lol
post #21799 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Holy cow Frohlich, I thought you feel off of the face of the earth. You haven't posted for a long time.
post #21800 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Holy balls!!! 20,000! Man those look nice, has anyone heard them?
I seen that they are listed at 6K a piece, still allot of coin. I am going to see if I can invite myself for a demo.
carp and NWCgrad like this.
post #21801 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I seen that they are listed at 6K a piece, still allot of coin. I am going to see if I can invite myself for a demo.
That's without amplification or the DSP processor. It's an active design, so those are necessary components.
post #21802 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Holy cow Frohlich, I thought you feel off of the face of the earth. You haven't posted for a long time.
This guy on this forum kept tormenting me about getting an AT screen so I went to Tibet for a few months to find the true meaning of HT. I saw a few Yeti but didn't find the inner HT peace I was looking for
dgage, beastaudio and jlpowell84 like this.
post #21803 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
The mystery speaker is(drum roll).......The JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor

I have read lots of great things about the M2's. The guy who runs AIX swears by them.

Would love to hear a set someday.

post #21804 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I have a JVCRS1x that I haven't listed on classifieds but would let it go to an AVS member wanting to step into the big screen ht experience. I know it's a few years old but if not worried about 3D then would be a good first pj and save money for speakers, subs, screen,etc...
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #21805 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Holy smokes! I have one sitting in a box in my basement. I guess I should finally buy a screen and actually use it!

Yea, true that.

The mystery speaker is(drum roll).......

The JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor

What, someone was actually interested ...

Opinions are not facts.
post #21806 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
What, someone was actually interested ...
Your disinterest was notable
RMK! likes this.
post #21807 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
This guy on this forum kept tormenting me about getting an AT screen so I went to Tibet for a few months to find the true meaning of HT. I saw a few Yeti but didn't find the inner HT peace I was looking for
There will be no peace without transparency ... acoustic that is ...

Opinions are not facts.
post #21808 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
+1 - I'm just a lurker that chimes in with an oohhh or an ahhh from time to time.
+2

I love this thread and all the cool fellas that post here. I'm always lurking around.
dgage and jlpowell84 like this.

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #21809 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL.... okay I'll try to lay off of the AT screen comments...lol

No it's funny, you get so use to certain forum members posting daily that when they don't for a while you almost wonder if everything is okay with them. For example steve nn hasn't posted in a LONG time and he would post daily and at least once a week we'd shoot pm's back and forth just shooting the sh!t, I haven't heard from him since April so no I genially worry a little that something has happened too him. It's strange, I don't really know anyone on this forum personally but if guys like Archaea, Carp, RMK and all of the regulars went like a few months without posting you start to wonder if something bad happened to them.
dgage, Archaea, NWCgrad and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jbrown15; 08-06-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #21810 of 30526 Old 08-06-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
This is great news. I don't have any PJ experience at all and want to cover all the possibilities. I could possibly build a custom shelf to house the PJ just behind the couch. Not too fond of it there since the room is open behind the couch into a little dining area. But it would work.

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page