Official JTR speaker thread - Page 727 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21781 of 26599 Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,609
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Just a heads up to the JTR crowd. I'm going to be putting some speaker pairs up for sale in the classifieds shortly. Figured I'd give the peeps here an advance notice. Anyone with an interest just pm me.

Going in stages. Danley's first, then JTR's as soon as budget permits .
What are you changing to?

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21782 of 26599 Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
This is about as close as you'll get to information about a home theater version of the Danley SM60f. Sounds like they have a prototype but need to develop a new cabinet mold, which will likely take some time, more or less depending on priority level of the project.

DIY Danley Noesis?

If my initial listening of a single Cat12 is any indication...my journey may be over long before the new Danley's come out.
Thanks.

So, what's your detailed impression of 212 vs Cat12?
rcohen is offline  
post #21783 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,285
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
What are you changing to?
You had to ask! Should be a straight jacket...

I have had a very long internal battle over this decision. Each way I turned it seemed I was faced with compromises or design and performance unknowns.

I decided that I don't want to settle on compromises or unknowns.. Although I know there is no perfect speaker, I've decided I will go with a speaker that is exceptionally engineered, tested objectively and comparatively in the most rigorous speaker testing facility in the world, meets my criteria for exceptionally dynamic output with a continuous clean output rating of at least 105+ dB at a listening position of 24 ft.(120+ dB peaks at 1M), world class clarity, resolution and imaging at ANY volume, 20Hz - 40kHz frequency response, active design and DSP tunable to my space for exceptional sound, and accepted and used by top music and movie industry mixers and professionals as reference speakers.

The only problem is I haven't listened to it yet .
dgage and jlpowell84 like this.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 08-06-2014 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Correction of specs
Gooddoc is offline  
post #21784 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Thanks.

So, what's your detailed impression of 212 vs Cat12?
Coach and I will have a thread comparing the Cat12s to the 215RM/RTs as well as my 212s. The Cat12s are at Coach's house with the 215s right now and then I'll move them to my house to compare against the 212s.

I think Gooddoc just described my speaker in the post between ours.
rcohen likes this.
dgage is offline  
post #21785 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,285
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I think Gooddoc just described my speaker in the post between ours.
I get the impression you're thinking that's a hypothetical speaker . It's not. it's an actual speaker I intend to buy. I've been obsessed by this speaker for a while now but until recently couldn't (wouldn't ) commit my wallet to it.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 08-06-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #21786 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I get the impression you're thinking that's a hypothetical speaker . It's not. it's an actual speaker I intend to buy. I've been obsessed by this speaker for a while now but until recently couldn't (wouldn't ) commit my wallet to it.
???


TMI not to reveal the speaker.
jlpowell84 likes this.
countryWV is online now  
post #21787 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Good morning JTR brothers. Haven't been on AVS since the Spring. Spent the summer hacking it up at golf courses and lugging the family around for vacation. It's heading into fall and my addiction for college football and HT is coming back. Looking forward to catching up and seeing what everyone is up to.
carp likes this.
Frohlich is offline  
post #21788 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,716
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Good morning JTR brothers. Haven't been on AVS since the Spring. Spent the summer hacking it up at golf courses and lugging the family around for vacation. It's heading into fall and my addiction for college football and HT is coming back. Looking forward to catching up and seeing what everyone is up to.
Welcome back Frohlich!

Been a HUGE Summer in more ways than one.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #21789 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,285
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
???


TMI not to reveal the speaker.
It's like The Ring. Precious...

I'm hesitant to discuss other speakers in owners threads. Even if I am an owner.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #21790 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Welcome back Frohlich!

Been a HUGE Summer in more ways than one.
Sounds like somebody bought some new toys. I don't want to rehash on this thread but shoot me a PM if you have some time. Would love to know what summer Santa brought ya
Frohlich is offline  
post #21791 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Trust me the tradeoff is well worth it. A good PJ and screen will give you a fantastic picture. It will not quite equal the plasma but you will never go back. Just make sure you are conserving brightness and sharpness by choosing a good pairing of PJ and screen. I mean don't go too big with the screen unless you plan to buy an absolute light canon which can cost more. You may or may not want/need a screen with gain to maintain foot lamberts. The Sony ES55 looks like the best thing going right now but you can buy a used Panny 8000 for probably a lot less (I don't know how much really). Make sure that your room is a black hole. Ambient light is the absolute KILLER for a front projection system.
I agree 100%. I have a Samsung plasma on the BR wall where I view nearly nothing as I fall asleep, a 65VT50 in the LR where my wife watches girlie programs, a 55F8000 LCD on the office wall for news and sports, and a 65VT60 in the FR for sports. Since building my theater, ALL movies are viewed there with no exceptions. A Seymour 138" diagonal XD and a Sony 600ES 4K PJ provides the view and a 7.2 set of JTRs makes it come to life. Yesterday I finished black velvet surrounding the screen ceiling, floor, and side walls. When the lights go down there is nothing but picture. Yee haw.

With catering and a portapotty I could live there!!!!

September 4th marks the first Packer pre game and I'm have a tailgate party. Guess where all the men will be?
Archaea and jlpowell84 like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #21792 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
50 inch Panasonic ST. It was the middle of the 5 models with the VT and GT above it in 2012.
Then i would absolutely upgrade the display. As others have said, you have a pretty good setup right now. I think that you would get the biggest bang for your buck upgrading your display. Projectors are great, but if you don't want/can't go that route, you can still find the 64 in Samsung f8500. I have the Panny zt 60 and it is the best display that I have ever seen, but the Samsung is not far behind. In fact, a lot of people prefer it to the Panny and I can see why.

hogues is online now  
post #21793 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 994
The Vizio P series full array local dimming LCD's should be coming out next month and might well be worth waiting for.

http://www.vizio.com/p-series

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #21794 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Yea I took forever to decide between the panny and Samsung but finally just bought the Samsung 65 since was cheaper. It's the best panel I've ever owned and gets the least amount of viewing since its in the bar room. The only noticeable difference I could see in best buy magnolia between the pan and Sam were blacks but I'd say both are top 5 panels every made.
hogues likes this.
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #21795 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Bassfeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK & Asia
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by mhdiab

Well quite a few people run 4ohm speakers with the SC-05 / SC-07 but it is not officialy rated for it. Now different speakers spend different amount of time down at 4ohm - don't know the technical terms for putting that correctly so that is why I was asking for some specific JTR input.

I think I might go ahead and buy them and just be mentally (and financially) ready to get an amplifier if they start clipping.......

EDIT: I couldn't see if the Triple 8's are rear or front ported - maybe that is a given for you guys that are a bit smarter but not for me. The distance to the back-wall is a concern for me


Front ported. My first instinct tells me not to put any speaker against a wall but I've noticed some guys have done just that with their Triple 8's and they love 'em. That said, I still haven't noticed someone that was unhappy with any JTR product.

As for amps, I'm not at all sure of your budget or if you need two or three channels of amplification, but you can get some really nice two channel pro amps for pretty cheap.




I was unhappy with my JTR and moved up to the Danely SH50 and never looked back since then. Sold the JTR to an American feller on eBay. I am now selling my Danley speaker system not because im unhappy with it but am planning to move out into a smaller home in a new neighbour hood which has easy access to work. Otherwise I don't think I would ever part from them.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
Bassfeen is offline  
post #21796 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Yea I took forever to decide between the panny and Samsung but finally just bought the Samsung 65 since was cheaper. It's the best panel I've ever owned and gets the least amount of viewing since its in the bar room. The only noticeable difference I could see in best buy magnolia between the pan and Sam were blacks but I'd say both are top 5 panels every made.
Off topic but I should comment anyway. VT50, VT/ZT60, F8500, and the last couple Kuro generations are the best of the best. You really can't go wrong. We learned a year ago that the Panasonics can be calibrated near perfectly up to about 50 foot Lamberts output making them okay for daytime viewing as well as 30-32 FtL reference night.

This is the family room 65VT60 I was talking about. For a FR it's a good setup and includes a PSA XS30 sub with it's twin 15" drivers. There are a couple of ceiling speakers for 5.1. Too bad it's only used for sports now but the front projector/JTR combo trumps the hell out of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0619.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	199553

If I were to purchase a flat panel today it would be the F8500. However, the upcoming Vizio P series and especially the R series which will come a few months later "might" wind up being better.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #21797 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,109
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post
I was unhappy with my JTR and moved up to the Danely SH50 and never looked back since then. Sold the JTR to an American feller on eBay. I am now selling my Danley speaker system not because im unhappy with it but am planning to move out into a smaller home in a new neighbour hood which has easy access to work. Otherwise I don't think I would ever part from them.
I would think the $4K Danley SH50 (passive version) might be a nice upgrade from a $1200 Triple 8LP.

Sorry you have to sell them ...

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
RMK! is online now  
post #21798 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoJer (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Good morning JTR brothers. Haven't been on AVS since the Spring. Spent the summer hacking it up at golf courses and lugging the family around for vacation. It's heading into fall and my addiction for college football and HT is coming back. Looking forward to catching up and seeing what everyone is up to.
I was wondering where you were. Sometimes a little break from AVS is a good thing, especially for the wallet.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #21799 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I was wondering where you were. Sometimes a little break from AVS is a good thing, especially for the wallet.
I hear ya. I always come to AVS with the best of intentions to just educate myself and chat with the boys and it always turns into an "upgrade" cycle...since my stuff is already 12 to 18 months old
Frohlich is offline  
post #21800 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
First thing, the talk about the sony es55 is good, but you guys should also be considering the jvc4910. I am tossing it on a very lossy screen right now, from close to 16 feet back, and a 138" 16:9 image and it leaves nothing additional to be desired. Most incredible picture I have ever seen!!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
It's like The Ring. Precious...

I'm hesitant to discuss other speakers in owners threads. Even if I am an owner.
I don't think most would object here. This is almost as much of a community of fantastic fanatics than owners at this point Heck, I haven't owned JTR for years now, but I still hang around

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #21801 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,607
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I don't think most would object here. This is almost as much of a community of fantastic fanatics than owners at this point Heck, I haven't owned JTR for years now, but I still hang around
+1 - I'm just a lurker that chimes in with an oohhh or an ahhh from time to time.
Reddig likes this.
Gorilla83 is offline  
post #21802 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,609
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Then i would absolutely upgrade the display. As others have said, you have a pretty good setup right now. I think that you would get the biggest bang for your buck upgrading your display. Projectors are great, but if you don't want/can't go that route, you can still find the 64 in Samsung f8500. I have the Panny zt 60 and it is the best display that I have ever seen, but the Samsung is not far behind. In fact, a lot of people prefer it to the Panny and I can see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
The Vizio P series full array local dimming LCD's should be coming out next month and might well be worth waiting for.

http://www.vizio.com/p-series
Yea Buzz, I took a good look at those after you mentioned them to me awhile back. How are the blacks supposed to be on those? I have read that all of these new UHD TV's are all lcd/led and have black level issues and horrible lit up letterboxes on the movie 2:35:1 ratio. I read quite a bit in a thread mark herringer I think is is name (imagic is username) and all the purists said it is a tough time for videophiles because quality is going downhill and the blacks on theses lcd/led new tvs were bad. You would know though. Plus N8 said there are some good ones out there...

Anyway jedimastergrant got me thinking quite a bit today about a DIY AT screen and a decent PJ like the JVC RS45 range. I have been thinking today how my center is a Triple 8 LP and I could build a system/bracket that spaces the screen away from the wall to fit the T8 in the TRUE center position. I could also build into the screen holding frame a decoupling system for my nasty dual Submersives. I am opposite of a concrete slab so...I could do about a 95-115 ballpark diagonal screen. I think the immersion factor may win it for me. As a few said going for LCR 228 Noesis is really tempting but...Also how are the fans on projectors? Are they loud? What would an opinion be for the closest tolerable physical distance to the MLP?

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #21803 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,609
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Also mentioned in one of the PM's I got was selling my dual submersives and being able to build a couple good ported subs like JBrown's monsters and then sell the Triple 8's and get 228 Noesis. That could be swung by just wheeling and dealing and then still do the PJ and screen setup! But I was given a great deal on the Submersives from a GOOD friend and I am not entirely comfortable at this point just selling them away. Besides I feel the dual submersives are the cornerstone of my system currently. But it spurs thoughts nonetheless...

plus ported subs would eliminate single digits and low teens which could be looked at as a plus for PJ and screen movement worries...

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-06-2014 at 12:59 PM.
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #21804 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Yea Buzz, I took a good look at those after you mentioned them to me awhile back. How are the blacks supposed to be on those? I have read that all of these new UHD TV's are all lcd/led and have black level issues and horrible lit up letterboxes on the movie 2:35:1 ratio. I read quite a bit in a thread mark herringer I think is is name (imagic is username) and all the purists said it is a tough time for videophiles because quality is going downhill and the blacks on theses lcd/led new tvs were bad. You would know though. Plus N8 said there are some good ones out there...

Anyway jedimastergrant got me thinking quite a bit today about a DIY AT screen and a decent PJ like the JVC RS45 range. I have been thinking today how my center is a Triple 8 LP and I could build a system/bracket that spaces the screen away from the wall to fit the T8 in the TRUE center position. I could also build into the screen holding frame a decoupling system for my nasty dual Submersives. I am opposite of a concrete slab so...I could do about a 95-115 ballpark diagonal screen. I think the immersion factor may win it for me. As a few said going for LCR 228 Noesis is really tempting but...Also how are the fans on projectors? Are they loud? What would an opinion be for the closest tolerable physical distance to the MLP?
Fan noise on the Sony 55 is very minimal. I don't ever recall a time that I was sitting down and watching something and thought "boy, that projector is loud." This is true even sitting directly below the projector (about 28" clearance).
Archaea and jlpowell84 like this.
dlbeck is online now  
post #21805 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Fan noise on the Sony 55 is very minimal. I don't ever recall a time that I was sitting down and watching something and thought "boy, that projector is loud." This is true even sitting directly below the projector (about 28" clearance).
dlbeck, last time I read AVS in the Spring you were 70% done but just saw your avatar and went to your build thread. I know I am late to the party but it turned out flipping awesome!!! Great job.
Archaea likes this.

Last edited by Frohlich; 08-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Frohlich is offline  
post #21806 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,149
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Yea Buzz, I took a good look at those after you mentioned them to me awhile back. How are the blacks supposed to be on those? I have read that all of these new UHD TV's are all lcd/led and have black level issues and horrible lit up letterboxes on the movie 2:35:1 ratio. I read quite a bit in a thread mark herringer I think is is name (imagic is username) and all the purists said it is a tough time for videophiles because quality is going downhill and the blacks on theses lcd/led new tvs were bad. You would know though. Plus N8 said there are some good ones out there...

Anyway jedimastergrant got me thinking quite a bit today about a DIY AT screen and a decent PJ like the JVC RS45 range. I have been thinking today how my center is a Triple 8 LP and I could build a system/bracket that spaces the screen away from the wall to fit the T8 in the TRUE center position. I could also build into the screen holding frame a decoupling system for my nasty dual Submersives. I am opposite of a concrete slab so...I could do about a 95-115 ballpark diagonal screen. I think the immersion factor may win it for me. As a few said going for LCR 228 Noesis is really tempting but...Also how are the fans on projectors? Are they loud? What would an opinion be for the closest tolerable physical distance to the MLP?
We won't know how good they are until we get our meters and eyes on them. That's why I said "might". All we're asking for are Kuro/Sharp Elite blacks AND VT60 calibration ability. "If" it happens it'll be the TV to buy despite typical degraded off angle viewing.

If you can incorporate a FP I'd say do it in a heartbeat for movie viewing. With a high end audio system there is no comparison despite lousy blacks. In flies in the face of the well known fact that contrast ratio is the most important picture quality aspect. The immersion effect overrules the "rules".

My last FP theater was 20-25 years ago and was nothing special due to low screen luminance and standard def material. My new theater, however, with both excellent picture and sound has made a believer out of me.

I can't hear the fans on my Sony and have no other experience.

Distance is dependent on screen material and viewing angle. AT screens need a little room but I can get very close to my XD with it's mini holes. There are varying ideas re: viewing angle, THX, etc. Personally I believe you can nose up to a flat panel, see where too close begins, and calculate the angle from there. Then translate to a big screen. My front row is 11' from a 120" wide 16:9 screen and I could go closer by a couple feet with no problem. My second row is about 16' and I find that not as pleasurable.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #21807 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Also mentioned in one of the PM's I got was selling my dual submersives and being able to build a couple good ported subs like JBrown's monsters and then sell the Triple 8's and get 228 Noesis. That could be swung by just wheeling and dealing and then still do the PJ and screen setup! But I was given a great deal on the Submersives from a GOOD friend and I am not entirely comfortable at this point just selling them away. Besides I feel the dual submersives are the cornerstone of my system currently. But it spurs thoughts nonetheless...

plus ported subs would eliminate single digits and low teens which could be looked at as a plus for PJ and screen movement worries...
Then DO IT! Focus on the projector situation first, then focus on the screen later. If I were you:

1) Budget for great projector vs good PJ (Looking in the $1800-$2500) assuming your screen could be less than $100 all-in
2) See what comes of your speaker sales and work on improvement of the front stage.
3) Come back and look at a "real" Projection screen. It will improve that much more, but in the between time you may decide you want to go bigger, smaller, or to a different format, and the good news is, you are only out $100 bucks. By this point in time you will have the best grasp on what format and size screen you really want. I remember when I built out my 106" screen and thinking, "There is no way I would ever need bigger." Well, I moved from that about a year later up to 126" and now am at 138" and spent quite a bit of money during the process to get here. Now I am tossing the jvc 4910 which would be one of the "great" projectors onto a $60 screen and no one would know the difference between it and a $5,000 firefox screen if I didn't tell them...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #21808 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Tom from PSA posted this on Facebook. Amp sale. Others available One Day
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...uestid=1014927

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...wer-amp?pfm=sp


--
Thanks for the link!! Bought two 1000's, don't need them right now but I am sure I can find a use for them!
raynist is online now  
post #21809 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,285
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
First thing, the talk about the sony es55 is good, but you guys should also be considering the jvc4910. I am tossing it on a very lossy screen right now, from close to 16 feet back, and a 138" 16:9 image and it leaves nothing additional to be desired. Most incredible picture I have ever seen!!!!
Holy smokes! I have one sitting in a box in my basement. I guess I should finally buy a screen and actually use it!




Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I don't think most would object here. This is almost as much of a community of fantastic fanatics than owners at this point Heck, I haven't owned JTR for years now, but I still hang around
Yea, true that.

The mystery speaker is(drum roll).......

The JBL M2 Master Reference Monitor

Although this is not news to many if my pm box is any indication
countryWV likes this.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #21810 of 26599 Old 08-06-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoJer (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks for the link!! Bought two 1000's, don't need them right now but I am sure I can find a use for them!
Always nice to have an amp or two laying around.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off