Official JTR speaker thread - Page 728 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6585Likes

Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Interesting, I had no idea Jeff was working on some in ceiling speakers. I am curious about Atmos as I have never heard it in the theater. I will say my previous set-up had Audessey DSX wides and while some people seem to love it, I was indifferent to it. I tried turnign it off and on and sometimes it sounded better and sometimes it didn't..seemed very movie specific. Like you, if I went with Atmos and ceiling speakers, I would likely stick with JTR since the rest of my 9 speakers are JTR
Ironically, I sold my Slanted 8 height speakers because I didn't think they added much using DSX. Wides were supposed to provide more impact vs Height speakers via DSX.

There is quite a bit of hyping of the Atmos format. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos, the Dolby demos were fun but the actual movie effects were (IMHO) unremarkable. Still, 4 ceiling speakers might make surround sound even better.

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Ironically, I sold my Slanted 8 height speakers because I didn't think they added much using DSX. Wides were supposed to provide more impact vs Height speakers via DSX.

There is quite a bit of hyping of the Atmos format. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos, the Dolby demos were fun but the actual movie effects were (IMHO) unremarkable. Still, 4 ceiling speakers might make surround sound even better.
When I was building my room, I decided to put my low voltage boxes that hold my speaker wires on the ceiling so I could convert them from sides and rears to in ceiling speakers when and if the time comes for Atmos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2103.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	206737  
RMK! likes this.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Thanks Frolich.. Um, I don't know if running into this thread was a good thing. If I haven't, I'd probably saved me a whole bunch money...lol! You guys on this thread are just bad people! " oh, nice system rhed!" Under your breath.. " go and spend more!" Jeff ..." He,he, now I got all these guys on the forum on the 215 zone.. I think it's time to introduce the 218's! Hahaha!" We'll atleast that's what I think that's what's going on with this thread..lol.. No regrets though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Congrats on the awesome set-up. I remember you coming on the boards last year and asking questions about JTR and now you are all in with a killer set-up. Make sure to post some updated pictures once you get a chance.

BTW, as others have said, glad the storm didn't hit you hard and that you and your family are safe. Saw some clips on the TV and it looked scary.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Yesterday two of my friends came over unannounced on their sports bikes. One hadn't seen my theater before, Kevin. The other friend, Nelson, had seen my theater at the other house. It was Nelson's idea to drop by because they were in the area. Kevin, was gawking at my eight sealed cabs lining the front (with no drivers yet). The other guy who has seen my theater before has a couple LMS-5400 in a sealed enclosure and said I was going to need that many sealed Ultimax to keep up with his pair of LMS with a coy smile.

Kevin wanted to know what all the fuss was about my theater. I asked him what he wanted to see and he said whatever. I threw in This is It, and played a couple tracks at reference, and then the Scuba Steve demo disc. Kevin was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He asked me to cue up some Bob Marley and started dancing in his seat. After the demo he said how could you possibly need more bass than those two subs? He said that sounds incredible Jonathan. He also was blown away by the air movement of the Captivator ports - giggling out loud during the Iron Man Jericho missile scene. He exclaimed he couldn't believe how much air those drivers and ports moved in the room! he felt like he was part of the explosions!. He said I need to talk to your boss because obviously he's paying you too much money. I laughed and said he probably spent more on his crotch rocket outside than I spent on my front JTR 228HT soundstage and pair of passive JTR subwoofers. He kind of frowned and said I bet that's right.

Nelson, the friend who is familiar with my equipment has Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of LMS-5400 in a small theater room. After the demo he said how does yours sound soooo good? How do you have that much bass? Then he said, and I quote -- "All I need to figure out is how to make my setup sound like that!"

Jeff P. - Thanks for making such a superb product!
rcohen, asoofi1, countryWV and 2 others like this.

I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread

Last edited by Archaea; 08-10-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yesterday two of my friends came over unannounced on their sports bikes. One hadn't seen my theater before, Kevin. The other friend, Nelson, had seen my theater at the other house. It was Nelson's idea to drop by because they were in the area. Kevin, was gawking at my eight sealed cabs lining the front (with no drivers yet). The other guy who has seen my theater before has a couple LMS-5400 in a sealed enclosure and said I was going to need that many sealed Ultimax to keep up with his pair of LMS with a coy smile.

Kevin wanted to know what all the fuss was about my theater. I asked him what he wanted to see and he said whatever. I threw in This is It, and played a couple tracks at reference, and then the Scuba Steve demo disc. Kevin was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He asked me to cue up some Bob Marley and started dancing in his seat. After the demo he said how could you possibly need more bass than those two subs? He said that sounds incredible Jonathan. He also was blown away by the air movement of the Captivator ports - giggling out loud during the Iron Man Jericho missile scene. He exclaimed he couldn't believe how much air those drivers and ports moved in the room! he felt like he was part of the explosions!. He said I need to talk to your boss because obviously he's paying you too much money. I laughed and said he probably spent more on his crotch rocket outside than I spent on my front JTR 228HT soundstage and pair of passive JTR subwoofers. He kind of frowned and said I bet that's right.

Nelson, the friend who is familiar with my equipment has Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of LMS-5400 in a small theater rom. After the demo he said how does yours sound soooo good? How do you have that much bass? Then he said, and I quote -- "All I need to figure out is how to make my setup sound like that!"

Jeff P. - Thanks for making such a superb product!

Sweeet. Confirmation like that makes this stuff so rewarding. I don't build or upgrade for my guests approval, but on the other hand it is very gratifying to get confirmation that it kicks ass.
Archaea likes this.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

How about using 215RM (or a single 15 if Jeff gonna design it) as Atmos ceiling speaker? I'm sure we need the thunder to sound from the sky, not from a subwoofer placed on the floor.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Sweeet. Confirmation like that makes this stuff so rewarding. I don't build or upgrade for my guests approval, but on the other hand it is very gratifying to get confirmation that it kicks ass.
Dammit. That's why I can't find a speaker I like. I've been going about it all wrong...focusing on guests that think Bose are good.

But glad you had a good time and have such a nice system you can enjoy all the time. I really do want to hear some Captivators one day as I've been so focused on sealed. Nick should be sending me a HS24 in a week or two so 4000w on that and 12000w on 3 LMS-5400s in a 14x17open living room may not move a lot of air but I think I'll be able to hit 7-8 Hz way above reference...not that I plan to do that...often.
jlpowell84 likes this.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Coach said something similar when he went to see the latest Transformers on Atmos. Say what you will about these summer blockbusters but they are exactly what I'd expect to leverage Atmos the most. If these summer blockbusters aren't pushing Atmos potential, what movies will?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
How about using 215RM (or a single 15 if Jeff gonna design it) as Atmos ceiling speaker? I'm sure we need the thunder to sound from the sky, not from a subwoofer placed on the floor.
Humm ...

Opinions are not facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 68

You want ceiling subs&atmos, no problem look at these bad boys.

PeterV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	207298  
RMK! and wilfredent like this.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can i ask the Height of the Slot Port opening is on the 215's. Saw a video of how much air is coming out , im suprised there is no chuffing.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
Can i ask the Height of the Slot Port opening is on the 215's. Saw a video of how much air is coming out , im suprised there is no chuffing.
The Port is 15"X2.75" (WXH) and there is no discernible port chuffing.
randyc1 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
RMK! Thanks for the option I never thought of...

Long time, no report.

The more I use the system the more I like the Rane RPM 88 solution for mixing, and EQ. It's all balanced (input/output) and sits between the SSP and amp so will work with any source. The problem is it is discontinued, has fan noise and only runs on Win XP which are pretty serious issues. The good news is I got one used for $400. It is a one step solution and Jeff has one and knows how to set it up properly so you might consider keeping an eye out on ebay.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a RPM 26z which I will test with Win7 soon. Dragnet runs but I haven't connected the box yet. Did you try the instructions in the FAQ to get it to work? See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dragnet windows7.png
Views:	33
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	207705  
RMK! likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
What is the 215RM? Does anyone have pictures or specs on it? I assume it's a center compliment to the 215RT's which I'm now considering. I was all set to be happy with 212HT's but all you 215 owners are slowly convincing me to go 215's but I can't do 3 like some of you.

Nabs17
Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2711 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I absolutely love my Falcon screen, my only regret was not going with a 2.35:1 scope screen to start with as now I'm considering selling my 16:9 screen to go to a scope screen!...lol
Just remember, if you are room width limited, go 16:9. If your are room height limited, go scope....You will get to go wayy bigger.
carp, Gooddoc and RMK! like this.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Just remember, if you are room width limited, go 16:9. If your are room height limited, go scope....You will get to go wayy bigger.
This will totally show my PJ inexperience but...JBrown why do you wish you would have gone scope? Also if you have a 2:35:1 screen size how does that work with normal 16:9 videos like TV or shows or some 16:9 movies? Does the video height just stay the same and not quite as long vertically? I am guessing you get some light reflection from the screen with a 2:35:1 format on a 16:9 screen? I think I have read guys building covers for screens. Either way I can still fit my JTR T8 LP behind the screen.

Also curious what some of you think about his. I have a window on my TV wall that is stuffed with insulation and covered with a big black fabric I tacked on the wall to give the appearance of cosmetic symmetry. If I sat the T8 LP in the window cutout, which would allow me to have the screen that much closer to the wall rather than sticking out further, the CD would be 6 inches higher than the L&R T8 HT mains which sit on top of each Submersive on the L&R sides. The T8 HT mains on the Submersives are near perfect ear height while sitting. They might be and inch or two low. I know it's best to have them all the same. So would this be an issue? Defeat the purpose of getting all front three the same height? If so I will shoot for exact CD height across front three.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
What does it sound like when an AMP clips?

When running LFE to my mains and playing World of the Worlds at reference I get a weird crackling feedback from my tweeter.

Goes away if I lower the volume.

I know what it sounds like for woofers, it sounds like a chirping type sound when the amp clips. As far as clipping the highs I have no idea, but I think it would make sense if what you heard was clipping? Not positive though. Hopefully nothing is wrong with that compression driver - was it only doing it on one speaker? I would connect the wire that was going to the "bad" speaker to one of the others and see if you still hear the bad sound.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Happens in all three as to why I think it is the amp.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
What does it sound like when an AMP clips?

When running LFE to my mains and playing World of the Worlds at reference I get a weird crackling feedback from my tweeter.

Goes away if I lower the volume.
That is strange but it sure sounds like clipping. Running LFE to the mains is going to cause the LCR's to consume a lot of power. How do they sound @ ref with a 60-80Hz crossover? If they sound fine with the crossover then the amp is clipping.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Happens in all three as to why I think it is the amp.
That would sure seem to be the amp if it's all 3.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Trying right now!

So it only really happens when routing LFE to the mains.

Happened once but for a super breif second on full range no LFE.

and never if I crossover at 80hz.

Sounds like am amp issue?

Last edited by SOWK; 08-11-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
What amp are you using?
Parasound A31
Old 08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Trying right now!

So it only really happens when routing LFE to the mains.

Happened once but for a super breif second on full range no LFE.

and never if I crossover at 80hz.

Sounds like am amp issue?
Yes it does.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes it does.
Guess you have an excuse to get Jeff's recommended JTR speaker then right?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nate, I want to know how this sounds on your earthquake machine

BTW I was reading a review on the 55ES and a negative was listed as lag time for gamers lol. I am sure it was a comparison to an ultra fast monitor...
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Any recommendations for a 3 channel amp under $2000?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Señor Member

LCR 215RT's need some serious power to drive them to ref or above. My W4S amp (1100wpc) would very likely have been sufficient but having sold my subs, I didn't want to have to worry about it.

These full rangers can be something special but as always it's horses for courses.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any recommendations for a 3 channel amp under $2000?
If you want to save a lot of money you could get an Inuke 6000 to power the mains and an Inuke 3000 (bridged) to power the center.

With that amount of power I can go to around +8 or +9 with music and +4ish with heavy hitting bass movie scenes at the listening position with all the bass and LFE going to the 215's before ever seeing any kind of clip light at all. I can go louder and don't hear any bad sounds but I didn't want to hurt the amp.

The 6000 did give me audible hiss, Archaea could not hear it at my LP but I could just barely. With the 3000 I hear no hiss at all. You may not hear any hiss though since your avr or pre/pro is undoubtedly better than mine.

Now, if your amps are in the room you won't want to do that since the fans or loud but you could do a fan mod if you can't put the amps in another room - I'm doing the next room method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
taboola here