AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

??? Moving to Catalysts or Genelecs?

No, I plan on being buried with my JTR HT speakers.

What I meant was I'm getting new Triple 12's for the LCR's and new Orbit Shifter subs for the VLF's. I'm hoping for a marginal SQ improvement with the Triple 12's and that would get me to the level of the Catalysts.
post #2163 of 21241 Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
RMK is overdosed with JTR product. In the end, I can imagine your room with walls of JTR speakers and sub.

After following this thread for a year, I'm ready to pull the trigger for 3 x Triple8HT.
post #2164 of 21241 Old 05-20-2010, 03:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

??? Moving to Catalysts or Genelecs?

Is this really what the next step up is? I havent heard of too many people swapping the JTR's for a catalyst. These are the two brands I am considering now and Im wondering if its really worth the extra expense when the JTR's are getting so many great reviews.
post #2165 of 21241 Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

Is this really what the next step up is? I havent heard of too many people swapping the JTR's for a catalyst. These are the two brands I am considering now and Im wondering if its really worth the extra expense when the JTR's are getting so many great reviews.

Catalysts and Genelecs are active speakers (built in amplification). JTRs are passive. Hardware wise, you can weigh their cost based on having to amplify the JTRs.

Not sure if the Catalysts sound better or not, but at more than three grand per speaker, you could buy a lot of JTR stuff. Genelec is perhaps even more for a given output, but my experience with their stuff is that they sound absolutely sweet. Their 8" offerings also offer a lot of dynamic range.
post #2166 of 21241 Old 05-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

No, I plan on being buried with my JTR HT speakers.

What I meant was I'm getting new Triple 12's for the LCR's and new Orbit Shifter subs for the VLF's. I'm hoping for a marginal SQ improvement with the Triple 12's and that would get me to the level of the Catalysts.

Is Jeff modifying your current Triple 12s or are you getting brand new ones?

Are you selling your Captivators?
post #2167 of 21241 Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Is Jeff modifying your current Triple 12s or are you getting brand new ones?

Are you selling your Captivators?

I am getting new Triple 12's due to the cabinet depth being 2.5" less deep on the new models and my needing the space behind the AT screen. My Triple 12's are sold and going to the same person who bought my Danley TH-SPUDS.

The Captivators (and Crest CC4000 Amp) will be sold but I haven't advertized them yet.

Brand loyalty has never been a trait of mine but when you find something that works for you … it’s kind of a no-brainer. Once you experience a home theater with an audio system capable of the SQ and big dynamics of this class of loudspeakers, there is no going back. Whether it be Seaton, Danley, Genelec, JBL or JTR (I’m sure there are others) if you have a reasonable room and adequate power, I believe that the actual performance deltas are rather small and the resultant sound very satisfying.
post #2168 of 21241 Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:

I am getting new Triple 12's due to the cabinet depth being 2.5" less deep on the new models and my needing the space behind the AT screen. My Triple 12's are sold and going to the same person who bought my Danley TH-SPUDS.

I hope you found a good home for your original Triple 12's. Those speakers started a revolution!

Jeff may one day want to buy those back and put them in a glass case at JTR company HQ.
post #2169 of 21241 Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffe67 View Post

I hope you found a good home for your original Triple 12's. Those speakers started a revolution!

Jeff may one day want to buy those back and put them in a glass case at JTR company HQ.

They are going to a new owner who brought his wife to the demo. Normally not a good idea but in this case, she liked the big JTR sound as much as he did. Like many of us, he is coming from hifi speakers (Vandersteen Model 5's) and although the Vandys are great speakers for music they were less satisfying for HT use.

If anyone wants to hear a full 9.2 JTR system (including a pair of the new Orbit Shifter subs), I'm hosting an AV GTG on June 12th. Details are in the AV Meets section of this forum.
post #2170 of 21241 Old 05-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minpin View Post

Very nice Leffe. I keep looking at your old Center channel compared to the T12 - and cracking up. Poor little guy!

Minpin - This one is for you:

Old center vs. New

I continue to be really impressed with these speakers. We watched Crazy Heart last night and there is a large SPL difference between scenes where there was dialogue and the live performances. The audio was great, the live performances put you right in the audience.

Any suggestions for a center stand? I need the center raised about 6 inches. I'm looking for something that looks nice, is cheap and has some way for me to tilt it up a little.
post #2171 of 21241 Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Minpin - This one is for you:

Old center vs. New

I continue to be really impressed with these speakers. We watched Crazy Heart last night and there is a large SPL difference between scenes where there was dialogue and the live performances. The audio was great, the live performances put you right in the audience.

Any suggestions for a center stand? I need the center raised about 6 inches. I'm looking for something that looks nice, is cheap and has some way for me to tilt it up a little.

2 In. x 6 In. Dimensional Lumber available at your local orange store (home depot) or whatever big stores around
post #2172 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 AM

I have not been able to use my dedicated room for almost a month. I can't wait until I can start listening to my JTR speakers again. I use an HK AVR as a processor. My AVR was acting up so I sent it in for exchange. The replacement AVR that I received had a defective IR sensor so I had to send it back also. UPS delivers my replacement tomorrow. I hope there are no problems with this one.
post #2173 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Need some help. Making a change due to finances and need to raise some money but I want some other owners opinions.

I want to raise money BUT if I can get better sound then I am willing to be flexible. I'll post what I was thinking and how much I will end up with in the bank (also selling 1 other amp I have and that is figured in)

1. Sell one quintuple and buy a Triple 8 - $1300 in bank
2. Sell 1 quintuple and the credit I have with Jeff - Go phantom Center with 2 quints - $1800 in bank
3. Sell all three quintuples and get 2 triple 12's run phantom center - 1600-$1700 in bank.

I generally sit about 7 feet back, few inches off dead center, from 3 speakers that are about 6 feet apart from inside left to inside right. I tend to be very sensitive to directionality so phantom center is a challenge for me to accept but if you guys think it might be fine then I'll try,
post #2174 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

Need some help. Making a change due to finances and need to raise some money but I want some other owners opinions.

I want to raise money BUT if I can get better sound then I am willing to be flexible. I'll post what I was thinking and how much I will end up with in the bank (also selling 1 other amp I have and that is figured in)

2. Sell 1 quintuple and the credit I have with Jeff - Go phantom Center with 2 quints - $1800 in bank
3. Sell all three quintuples and get 2 triple 12's run phantom center - 1600-$1700 in bank.

I generally sit about 7 feet back, few inches off dead center, from 3 speakers that are about 6 feet apart from inside left to inside right. I tend to be very sensitive to directionality so phantom center is a challenge for me to accept but if you guys think it might be fine then I'll try,

many people have stated that the center made a big improvement over phantom center. i sold a t8 to someone, he used it with t12's and said there was a big improvement in soundstage with the center speaker.
post #2175 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

You could always disconnect your center and set up your system to use a phantom center to see if the results are acceptable to you. However, I seem to remember that you are moving, so your new space might be different from your existing setup. Also, if I remember correctly, your LCR are all relatively close to each other, so you may experience different results when you get there.

I would be weary of going from a full Q8 LCR, to a phantom center. In most instances, I'm sure you will notice a difference.
post #2176 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

You could always disconnect your center and set up your system to use a phantom center to see if the results are acceptable to you. However, I seem to remember that you are moving, so your new space might be different from your existing setup. Also, if I remember correctly, your LCR are all relatively close to each other, so you may experience different results when you get there.

I would be weary of going from a full Q8 LCR, to a phantom center. In most instances, I'm sure you will notice a difference.

Things changed and I got pushed out of the family business (very shady, had a lot of money taken from me) and I am now stuck without a job and no prospects so I am not moving and need to raise money.
post #2177 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I have been wanting to give JTR speakers a try for awhile now. My room is 15'x23' and is not a dedicated HT room. Use of my system is 70/30 movies/music. I currently have 3 Aperion 6T towers across the front and 4 5Bs for surround with a SV PB13 Ultra. I use a Denon 3808ci and have the 100 dollar update and use Audyssey and then use a SPL meter to set the speaker volume. My 3 fronts are powered by a Emotiva XPA 3. Really I think it sounds great as is BUT....I want to purchase 3 JTR speakers across the front. I am debating on which ones the triple 12s or triple 8s. Would I be missing a lot if I went with 3 8s in that size of room? They would need to be on a stand as I would want the speaker at ear level. I enclosed a photo of my front stage just to give you a idea. Thanks for the suggestions.
LL

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #2178 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I have been wanting to give JTR speakers a try for awhile now. My room is 15'x23' and is not a dedicated HT room. Use of my system is 70/30 movies/music. I currently have 3 Aperion 6T towers across the front and 4 5Bs for surround with a SV PB13 Ultra. I use a Denon 3808ci and have the 100 dollar update and use Audyssey and then use a SPL meter to set the speaker volume. My 3 fronts are powered by a Emotiva XPA 3. Really I think it sounds great as is BUT....I want to purchase 3 JTR speakers across the front. I am debating on which ones the triple 12s or triple 8s. Would I be missing a lot if I went with 3 8s in that size of room? They would need to be on a stand as I would want the speaker at ear level. I enclosed a photo of my front stage just to give you a idea. Thanks for the suggestions.

In your scenario either the 888s or the Triple 12s are going to be a HUGE upgrade dynamically over what you have now. Your current speakers are 91 db sensitivity and are a 2 way using 2) 6.5" mids and a 1" tweet. 888s are 98db sensitivity are a 3 way using 8" midbass and midrange. Your XPA 3 is gonna sound vastly more powerful. I have and Adcom 5503 which only puts out 50 more watts and 4ohms than your amp and my previous speakers were around 90db sensitivty and I was constantly seeing the clip lights on the amp when I would get on it. Once I hooked up the 888s I never seen those lights again. I'm currently using 888s for my L and R and a Triple 12 LF for center duty so I'm familiar with both.
post #2179 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Browninggold,

I agree with gpmbc, you have a good sub to cover the VLF that allows the T8's to be crossed at 80-90Hz. That should put you right where you want to be and, the T8's won't overpower the space like the T12's would.
post #2180 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Browninggold,

I agree with gpmbc, you have a good sub to cover the VLF that allows the T8's to be crossed at 80-90Hz. That should put you right where you want to be and, the T8's won't overpower the space like the T12's would.

I agree that the T8's will work well for him, but I was surprised that you think the T12's will be overpowering in a 15' x 23' room. Is this based on the assumption (most probably correct) that the room is not treated?
post #2181 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

I agree that the T8's will work well for him, but I was surprised that you think the T12's will be overpowering in a 15' x 23' room. Is this based on the assumption (most probably correct) that the room is not treated?

I went from the T8s to T12s in a similar sized room as brown_____ and I can agree that the T12s definitely pressurize the room more (but in a good way). Overpowering the way that I want them to. The improvement for me was in the midbass region. I had two MFW-15s and felt that they were not blending the way I wanted to with the T8s. So I went to T12s and sold the MFW-15s for two DTS-10s.
post #2182 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

So everyone is on the same page I would be good to go on T8s and do not get the T12s? Thanks for the replies so far. I would definately order stands for the T8s, would I need them for the T12s, if I ordered them? I would probably go with T8s with my sv sub. This HT hobby is fun-always choices.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #2183 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I ultimately went with the T12HT's myself, but I have no doubt that I would be very satisfied with the T8HT's. The fact is that both the 12's and the 8's require a capable sub.

In most circumstances in most residences, I think the biggest difference you will notice between the two is setting your crossover to 80Hz instead of 60Hz.

If anyone is curious as to whether the T8HT is up to the task, watch this Growler Duo youtube video. The single T8HT is handling everything above 80Hz.

An LCR setup with the T8HT's ought to get it done, in your living room/theater, or a football field.
post #2184 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

My overpowering comment was based upon the speaker placement in the room photo. If he place T12's in the same location, it would be a bit crowded up front. The physical size of the Triple12's is an issue and the lack of treatments would also be a factor.

That said, the T12's are perfect in my room and it is only a bit bigger.
post #2185 of 21241 Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the video Leffe67, T8s would work well in my room paired w/ my sub. Of course RMK makes a good point also that is why I went with 3 6Ts across the front. I hate to miss out on something.

post #2186 of 21241 Old 05-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

I just paid for 3 x T8s. Going to replace my B&W 603S3 speakers in 11' x 20' dedicated HT room. Also getting the DIY kit for eD A7s-650 as primary sub and my current DD-12 will be located to the back of the room as secondary sub.
post #2187 of 21241 Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 AM

post #2188 of 21241 Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Didn't see this ads.... Ouch.
post #2189 of 21241 Old 05-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Got my AVR (processor) back today. I am back up and running. My downstairs set up is a very good family room set up, but it just can't match my dedicated room. It is nice to be back listening to my JTR's.
post #2190 of 21241 Old 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

So everyone is on the same page I would be good to go on T8s and do not get the T12s? Thanks for the replies so far. I would definately order stands for the T8s, would I need them for the T12s, if I ordered them? I would probably go with T8s with my sv sub. This HT hobby is fun-always choices.

The T8s will definitely be enough in that room. You would probably not need stands for the T12's. You could also consider doing what I did, moving the coaxial of the T8 to the top position, raising them up slightly and angling them towards your ears. If you did that you could lower your TV a little so it is closer to eye level.

Either way you go, you will not be dissapointed. Once you experience the effortless dynamics of the JTR's you will be grinning ear to ear every time you turn on your system.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page