Official JTR speaker thread - Page 731 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #21901 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Hope you weathered the storm OK and thanks for the arrival photos. Looking forward to more pics and your impressions.

I am more impressed with the 215's with each listen. Last night it was an hour of Hi Rez music and then the Noah film streamed via Vudu. I simply could not be happier with the sound of these amazing speakers. They are dialed in and the bass perfectly integrated. The sound stage is huge with incredible detail. Noah takes advantage of the surrounds and effects are perfect (you are going to love the S8's). The only thing on my agenda as far as upgrades is maybe some in-ceiling speakers and a new processor for Atmos. I know Jeff is working on some in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and that will be the way I go, if I go ...

I can't imagine the system sounding better and my recent visit to an Atmos Theater was further confirmation of that.
I love to read about happy system owners! It's awesome and a goal we're all striving for! I still can't believe you pulled the system off without subs. You've made a believer out of me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21902 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
JTR packing! Impressive! Same like when my four S2's was shipped. Two 215RT, one 215RM, and 4 Slanted 8's. From Wisconsin all the way to Hawaii.. Not a single scratch! Mind some of the photos. Don't know why after uploading my vertical pictures AVS photo uploader makes them landscaped.. Oh well more pictures will come after I set them up.
Nice, glad they arrived safe. That had to cost a mint.
post #21903 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, is anyone using the Dirac enabled minidsp DDRC-22? Looking for some feedback on system integration and use.
post #21904 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Thanks RMK.. I'm really looking forward to hooking up and listening to these speakers. The fun part is done atleast (carrying them up). I probably hook them up straight from the receiver for now till my amps arrive. I'll start hanging the slants too. And as soon as I get them dialed in with the S2's. I'll open my house to people who wants a demo of a Full JTR setup on this island. I might be the only JTR owner in Hawaii. I have a few peeps can't wait to hear them. That's heavily in pro audio. And some heavily into HT. After the setup, I just need my grilles.. Lol.. Jeff still owe me grilles for my speakers..

Quote:
Hope you weathered the storm OK and thanks for the arrival photos. Looking forward to more pics and your impressions.

I am more impressed with the 215's with each listen. Last night it was an hour of Hi Rez music and then the Noah film streamed via Vudu. I simply could not be happier with the sound of these amazing speakers. They are dialed in and the bass perfectly integrated. The sound stage is huge with incredible detail. Noah takes advantage of the surrounds and effects are perfect (you are going to love the S8's). The only thing on my agenda as far as upgrades is maybe some in-ceiling speakers and a new processor for Atmos. I know Jeff is working on some in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and that will be the way I go, if I go ...

I can't imagine the system sounding better and my recent visit to an Atmos Theater was further confirmation of that.

Last edited by rhed; 08-09-2014 at 05:06 PM.
post #21905 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Rhed, you have one of the best JTR systems in the world BTW...

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #21906 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
I just need my grilles.. Lol.. ..
You need to get your grill??

LMAO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gold grill.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	205769  
post #21907 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Rhed, you have one of the best JTR systems in the world BTW...
Thanks bro.. Definately not the best. But different style system. As everyones system is unique and different. I like how everyone's has their own styles. Rather, diy or id. It's just a fun hobby. But, can't wait till you visit down this side again bro. Hit me up when you do.
Still one of my favorite videos btw jlp.. Wait don't you have the Tripp 8's? Nice
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4
post #21908 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
You need to get your grill??

LMAO
Exactly what I meant..lol! Nice
post #21909 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Thanks bro.. Definately not the best. But different style system. As everyones system is unique and different. I like how everyone's has their own styles. Rather, diy or id. It's just a fun hobby. But, can't wait till you visit down this side again bro. Hit me up when you do.
Still one of my favorite videos btw jlp.. Wait don't you have the Tripp 8's? Nice
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qWznxY4CmI4
Yea we will be back for sure at some point...Think we might budget another Hawaii trip from this years bonus...Yea my T8's are great dynamic speakers. Not the best as we know they don't have a BMS 4593 CD but still handle anything you throw at it very well and no distortion! I am happy for what I have into them...Now on to that PJ setup! My mind has been rolling like crazy for a few days now just running through scenarios of the DIY AT screen, PJ stand and the 100" screen at 9ft...I am seeing the PJ throw calculator may be my friend in dictating what PJ I end up with in that my throw distance will be right at about 10.5 ft

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-09-2014 at 06:35 PM.
post #21910 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Red congrats on Gettng the speakers in house. I know you have waited a while. I am sure it will be worth the wait and can't wit to hear your impressions. By the time you come out for Axpona I will have the set up I want you to come check out. Glad you weathered the storm bro. Now turn it up.
post #21911 of 29375 Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Red congrats on Gettng the speakers in house. I know you have waited a while. I am sure it will be worth the wait and can't wit to hear your impressions. By the time you come out for Axpona I will have the set up I want you to come check out. Glad you weathered the storm bro. Now turn it up.
Ib, I can't hardly wait to hear your system. Especially the 3 OS and the 212's with the LG power plant.. One word! Nice! Btw,hit me up when you and the family are here in Hawaii on vacation too. But don't plan on coming between August and November. That's our hurricane seasons.. Lol
post #21912 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Thanks RMK.. I'm really looking forward to hooking up and listening to these speakers. The fun part is done atleast (carrying them up). I probably hook them up straight from the receiver for now till my amps arrive. I'll start hanging the slants too. And as soon as I get them dialed in with the S2's. I'll open my house to people who wants a demo of a Full JTR setup on this island. I might be the only JTR owner in Hawaii. I have a few peeps can't wait to hear them. That's heavily in pro audio. And some heavily into HT. After the setup, I just need my grilles.. Lol.. Jeff still owe me grilles for my speakers..
I'm due grills too but will never use them even if they were out from behind the screen. These speakers just look right sans grills.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #21913 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Just a quick question...Where is the best place to look for DIY AT screen material?
Also here, scroll down for DIY fabric:
http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #21914 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would like a demo on the Island I will be there in 36 hours, but I need to stay for 2 weeks
post #21915 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
I'm due grills too but will never use them even if they were out from behind the screen. These speakers just look right sans grills.
I agree. I had my grills on for a little bit when I first got them but I took them off and they are staying off.
post #21916 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Ib, I can't hardly wait to hear your system. Especially the 3 OS and the 212's with the LG power plant.. One word! Nice! Btw,hit me up when you and the family are here in Hawaii on vacation too. But don't plan on coming between August and November. That's our hurricane seasons.. Lol
.I'll take you up on that when I get the family out to Hawaii. Surfing all day and JTR's at night, now that's a perfect vacation/

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #21917 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:

Interesting, I had no idea Jeff was working on some in ceiling speakers. I am curious about Atmos as I have never heard it in the theater. I will say my previous set-up had Audessey DSX wides and while some people seem to love it, I was indifferent to it. I tried turnign it off and on and sometimes it sounded better and sometimes it didn't..seemed very movie specific. Like you, if I went with Atmos and ceiling speakers, I would likely stick with JTR since the rest of my 9 speakers are JTR
post #21918 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Lol.. Btw, these just arrived yesterday. Right before our Hurricane passing. Perfect timing.
Congrats on the awesome set-up. I remember you coming on the boards last year and asking questions about JTR and now you are all in with a killer set-up. Make sure to post some updated pictures once you get a chance.

BTW, as others have said, glad the storm didn't hit you hard and that you and your family are safe. Saw some clips on the TV and it looked scary.
post #21919 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Interesting, I had no idea Jeff was working on some in ceiling speakers. I am curious about Atmos as I have never heard it in the theater. I will say my previous set-up had Audessey DSX wides and while some people seem to love it, I was indifferent to it. I tried turnign it off and on and sometimes it sounded better and sometimes it didn't..seemed very movie specific. Like you, if I went with Atmos and ceiling speakers, I would likely stick with JTR since the rest of my 9 speakers are JTR
Ironically, I sold my Slanted 8 height speakers because I didn't think they added much using DSX. Wides were supposed to provide more impact vs Height speakers via DSX.

There is quite a bit of hyping of the Atmos format. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos, the Dolby demos were fun but the actual movie effects were (IMHO) unremarkable. Still, 4 ceiling speakers might make surround sound even better.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #21920 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ironically, I sold my Slanted 8 height speakers because I didn't think they added much using DSX. Wides were supposed to provide more impact vs Height speakers via DSX.

There is quite a bit of hyping of the Atmos format. When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy in Atmos, the Dolby demos were fun but the actual movie effects were (IMHO) unremarkable. Still, 4 ceiling speakers might make surround sound even better.
When I was building my room, I decided to put my low voltage boxes that hold my speaker wires on the ceiling so I could convert them from sides and rears to in ceiling speakers when and if the time comes for Atmos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2103.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	206737  
RMK! likes this.
post #21921 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Frolich.. Um, I don't know if running into this thread was a good thing. If I haven't, I'd probably saved me a whole bunch money...lol! You guys on this thread are just bad people! " oh, nice system rhed!" Under your breath.. " go and spend more!" Jeff ..." He,he, now I got all these guys on the forum on the 215 zone.. I think it's time to introduce the 218's! Hahaha!" We'll atleast that's what I think that's what's going on with this thread..lol.. No regrets though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Congrats on the awesome set-up. I remember you coming on the boards last year and asking questions about JTR and now you are all in with a killer set-up. Make sure to post some updated pictures once you get a chance.

BTW, as others have said, glad the storm didn't hit you hard and that you and your family are safe. Saw some clips on the TV and it looked scary.
post #21922 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Yesterday two of my friends came over unannounced on their sports bikes. One hadn't seen my theater before, Kevin. The other friend, Nelson, had seen my theater at the other house. It was Nelson's idea to drop by because they were in the area. Kevin, was gawking at my eight sealed cabs lining the front (with no drivers yet). The other guy who has seen my theater before has a couple LMS-5400 in a sealed enclosure and said I was going to need that many sealed Ultimax to keep up with his pair of LMS with a coy smile.

Kevin wanted to know what all the fuss was about my theater. I asked him what he wanted to see and he said whatever. I threw in This is It, and played a couple tracks at reference, and then the Scuba Steve demo disc. Kevin was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He asked me to cue up some Bob Marley and started dancing in his seat. After the demo he said how could you possibly need more bass than those two subs? He said that sounds incredible Jonathan. He also was blown away by the air movement of the Captivator ports - giggling out loud during the Iron Man Jericho missile scene. He exclaimed he couldn't believe how much air those drivers and ports moved in the room! he felt like he was part of the explosions!. He said I need to talk to your boss because obviously he's paying you too much money. I laughed and said he probably spent more on his crotch rocket outside than I spent on my front JTR 228HT soundstage and pair of passive JTR subwoofers. He kind of frowned and said I bet that's right.

Nelson, the friend who is familiar with my equipment has Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of LMS-5400 in a small theater room. After the demo he said how does yours sound soooo good? How do you have that much bass? Then he said, and I quote -- "All I need to figure out is how to make my setup sound like that!"

Jeff P. - Thanks for making such a superb product!
rcohen, asoofi1, countryWV and 2 others like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 08-10-2014 at 08:42 PM.
post #21923 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yesterday two of my friends came over unannounced on their sports bikes. One hadn't seen my theater before, Kevin. The other friend, Nelson, had seen my theater at the other house. It was Nelson's idea to drop by because they were in the area. Kevin, was gawking at my eight sealed cabs lining the front (with no drivers yet). The other guy who has seen my theater before has a couple LMS-5400 in a sealed enclosure and said I was going to need that many sealed Ultimax to keep up with his pair of LMS with a coy smile.

Kevin wanted to know what all the fuss was about my theater. I asked him what he wanted to see and he said whatever. I threw in This is It, and played a couple tracks at reference, and then the Scuba Steve demo disc. Kevin was grinning ear to ear the whole time. He asked me to cue up some Bob Marley and started dancing in his seat. After the demo he said how could you possibly need more bass than those two subs? He said that sounds incredible Jonathan. He also was blown away by the air movement of the Captivator ports - giggling out loud during the Iron Man Jericho missile scene. He exclaimed he couldn't believe how much air those drivers and ports moved in the room! he felt like he was part of the explosions!. He said I need to talk to your boss because obviously he's paying you too much money. I laughed and said he probably spent more on his crotch rocket outside than I spent on my front JTR 228HT soundstage and pair of passive JTR subwoofers. He kind of frowned and said I bet that's right.

Nelson, the friend who is familiar with my equipment has Wharfedale Diamonds and a pair of LMS-5400 in a small theater rom. After the demo he said how does yours sound soooo good? How do you have that much bass? Then he said, and I quote -- "All I need to figure out is how to make my setup sound like that!"

Jeff P. - Thanks for making such a superb product!

Sweeet. Confirmation like that makes this stuff so rewarding. I don't build or upgrade for my guests approval, but on the other hand it is very gratifying to get confirmation that it kicks ass.
Archaea likes this.
post #21924 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

How about using 215RM (or a single 15 if Jeff gonna design it) as Atmos ceiling speaker? I'm sure we need the thunder to sound from the sky, not from a subwoofer placed on the floor.
post #21925 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Sweeet. Confirmation like that makes this stuff so rewarding. I don't build or upgrade for my guests approval, but on the other hand it is very gratifying to get confirmation that it kicks ass.
Dammit. That's why I can't find a speaker I like. I've been going about it all wrong...focusing on guests that think Bose are good.

But glad you had a good time and have such a nice system you can enjoy all the time. I really do want to hear some Captivators one day as I've been so focused on sealed. Nick should be sending me a HS24 in a week or two so 4000w on that and 12000w on 3 LMS-5400s in a 14x17open living room may not move a lot of air but I think I'll be able to hit 7-8 Hz way above reference...not that I plan to do that...often.
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #21926 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Coach said something similar when he went to see the latest Transformers on Atmos. Say what you will about these summer blockbusters but they are exactly what I'd expect to leverage Atmos the most. If these summer blockbusters aren't pushing Atmos potential, what movies will?
post #21927 of 29375 Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
How about using 215RM (or a single 15 if Jeff gonna design it) as Atmos ceiling speaker? I'm sure we need the thunder to sound from the sky, not from a subwoofer placed on the floor.
Humm ...

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #21928 of 29375 Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48

You want ceiling subs&atmos, no problem look at these bad boys.

PeterV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	207298  
RMK! and wilfredent like this.
post #21929 of 29375 Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can i ask the Height of the Slot Port opening is on the 215's. Saw a video of how much air is coming out , im suprised there is no chuffing.
post #21930 of 29375 Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
Can i ask the Height of the Slot Port opening is on the 215's. Saw a video of how much air is coming out , im suprised there is no chuffing.
The Port is 15"X2.75" (WXH) and there is no discernible port chuffing.
randyc1 likes this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page