Official JTR speaker thread - Page 745 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 6576Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,777
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
After carefully putting t-nuts in all eight subwoofer enclosures tonight, which took a few hours, (drilled 64 holes incrementally larger till I hit 1/4, then painted around the holes, shop vacing the drills mess out of the cabs, then drove in each of the t-nuts with no sub in place, backing out each bolt after the t-nut was tight - - - it occurred to me that some may think there are too big of profit of margins on DIY stuff. (in relation to the recent conversation about a new ID product based on the ultimax driver in this thread) After spending several hours, on multiple days, and not even getting the drivers in there yet...my opinion - no way.

Before tonight, I'd already spent multiple hours; unboxing the cabs, shopping for parts both online and at home depot, putting the feet on the boxes, unboxing and quality checking the eight subs by running 20hz sine waves through them one at a time in free air for a short bit.
I still have stuff the cabs with polyfill, assemble and mount the back plates with ring terminals and spade connectors, cut 10 gauge wire, wire back plates, wire subs, put subs in boxes, bolt subs into box.
So - - - I've still got a lot of time to sink to finish this project - then if you are selling them, you've got to box them back up too and get them shipped out.
All while answering e-mails, questions, sales related and warranty related, having a presence on the forum - etc.


The job of 'making' a subwoofer takes more time and energy than many people think about --- including myself!





All those T-nuts make my real nuts hurt just from looking at them! I don't think anyone was talking about profit margins... as in saying they were to high.... just what it would cost someone to build the same basic design with the same parts. Thats the whole point of DIY, making something just as good for cheaper! if it wasn't cheaper, no one would do it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
jparker36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
After carefully putting t-nuts in all eight subwoofer enclosures tonight, which took a few hours, (drilled 64 holes incrementally larger till I hit 1/4, then painted around the holes, shop vacing the drills mess out of the cabs, then drove in each of the t-nuts with no sub in place, backing out each bolt after the t-nut was tight - - - it occurred to me that some may think there are too big of profit of margins on DIY stuff. (in relation to the recent conversation about a new ID product based on the ultimax driver in this thread) After spending several hours, on multiple days, and not even getting the drivers in there yet...my opinion - no way.

Before tonight, I'd already spent multiple hours; unboxing the cabs, shopping for parts both online and at home depot, putting the feet on the boxes, unboxing and quality checking the eight subs by running 20hz sine waves through them one at a time in free air for a short bit.
I still have stuff the cabs with polyfill, assemble and mount the back plates with ring terminals and spade connectors, cut 10 gauge wire, wire back plates, wire subs, put subs in boxes, bolt subs into box.
So - - - I've still got a lot of time to sink to finish this project - then if you are selling them, you've got to box them back up too and get them shipped out.
All while answering e-mails, questions, sales related and warranty related, having a presence on the forum - etc.


The job of 'making' a subwoofer takes more time and energy than many people think about --- including myself!






And this is exactly why I 'overpay' for Mark or Jeff to make subs for me. In the latest round, I just ordered a master/slave of those dual 18 terraforms Mark showed here. I wish I had the know-how and patience to learn do build these things myself, but I just don't. Maybe someday when I retire or something....

Last edited by jparker36; 08-22-2014 at 06:48 AM.
jparker36 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
mikela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Hi folks,

I am getting ready to launch out on a SBA theater 10x16x23. I have Danley SM60Fs for the LCR. I am wondering if the JTR Single 8HT-lp or Single 8HT would be a good match for surrounds/atmos in terms of timbre matching?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated,
Mike
mikela is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,219
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Hi folks,

I am getting ready to launch out on a SBA theater 10x16x23. I have Danley SM60Fs for the LCR. I am wondering if the JTR Single 8HT-lp or Single 8HT would be a good match for surrounds/atmos in terms of timbre matching?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated,
Mike
Yeah they would pair well. If I would have kept my SM60F's, they would have been mated to my 4 slanted single 8's. I have to ask and it is probably simple and I am missing it, but what does SBA stand for.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,286
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Archaea, what is your screen material? AT I remember from your baffle wall pics.

I am gonna go easy and not do an elaborate AT living room setup. Mostly I lost my motivation for all that construction lol! So since that I am considering this material. It was recommended as the best "cheap" material for DIY screens. Better than Spandex but loses AT ability obviously. 1.1 gain.

http://www.amazon.com/Carls-FlexiWhi...AP50Z90N78EM7P
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,223
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yeah they would pair well. If I would have kept my SM60F's, they would have been mated to my 4 slanted single 8's. I have to ask and it is probably simple and I am missing it, but what does SBA stand for.
Super Bad Azz..this is the JTR thread son!!!!
Frohlich is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
mikela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yeah they would pair well. If I would have kept my SM60F's, they would have been mated to my 4 slanted single 8's. I have to ask and it is probably simple and I am missing it, but what does SBA stand for.
Single Bass Array as opposed to Double Bass Array

Double Bass Array (DBA) - The modern bass concept!

FoLLgoTT's build: 18 x Peerless XXLS12

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-...ts-inside.html
mikela is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 10,751
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Archaea, what is your screen material? AT I remember from your baffle wall pics.

I am gonna go easy and not do an elaborate AT living room setup. Mostly I lost my motivation for all that construction lol! So since that I am considering this material. It was recommended as the best "cheap" material for DIY screens. Better than Spandex but loses AT ability obviously. 1.1 gain.

http://www.amazon.com/Carls-FlexiWhi...AP50Z90N78EM7P
Na dude, you want A-T. Get that center channel where it wants to go....where it NEEDS to go
jbrown15, Reddig and asoofi1 like this.
beastaudio is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,534
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Na dude, you want A-T. Get that center channel where it wants to go....where it NEEDS to go

Couldn't agree more, I just wish I had done it right from the start instead of having to go through the hassle of selling my old screen and taking a $300 lose!...lol
jbrown15 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,223
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Couldn't agree more, I just wish I had done it right from the start instead of having to go through the hassle of selling my old screen and taking a $300 lose!...lol
All the cool kids have AT screens
Frohlich is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
drpete12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi Guys,

just got my triple 8 lps for surrounds. ceiling height is 9 feet. any recommendations on placement height (side note the different woofer is mounted in the upper most position) I can flip this if I have to. Just not sure if I want it really high or slightly above ear level. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
drpete12 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Point Source
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 10,751
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2702 Post(s)
Liked: 2148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
All the cool kids have AT screens
You said a lot about yourself right there.
COACH2369 likes this.
beastaudio is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,755
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Ehhh still not worrying too much about not having an AT screen. I don't want to lose light and the sound from my center is still damn good as is. I've been in a ton of AT rooms now and while I love them I don't feel like I'm losing a ton in my room, in fact I prefer my setup to many, mostly because I like a massive screen and most are smaller - and the fact that the sound of the 215's do it for me.

Seriously guys, I think I'm done buying HT stuff for a long time. I'm so happy with everything right now there just isn't any reason. I haven't had the itch for so long now (haha, relatively speaking).


Still.... I guarantee someday I'll have an AT setup. I think I'll do it all at once down the road - AT, 4k, Atmos. Until that's all figured out I'll be content with my current setup.

It will be fun to live vicariously through you guys as I'm sure you will all have ^ before I do.
NWCgrad likes this.
carp is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,219
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ehhh still not worrying too much about not having an AT screen. I don't want to lose light and the sound from my center is still damn good as is. I've been in a ton of AT rooms now and while I love them I don't feel like I'm losing a ton in my room, in fact I prefer my setup to many, mostly because I like a massive screen and most are smaller - and the fact that the sound of the 215's do it for me.

Seriously guys, I think I'm done buying HT stuff for a long time. I'm so happy with everything right now there just isn't any reason. I haven't had the itch for so long now (haha, relatively speaking).


Still.... I guarantee someday I'll have an AT setup. I think I'll do it all at once down the road - AT, 4k, Atmos. Until that's all figured out I'll be content with my current setup.

It will be fun to live vicariously through you guys as I'm sure you will all have ^ before I do.
I go back and forth on the subject myself. I wish I would have done an AT, but I decided against it and went with the fixed. I just did not have the space. I think the AT screen is very cool and sounds great, but it is something I can live without. Someday in the new house. The one thing I may upgrade on very soon is a masking system from Carada. I am not sure if I can add it to my current screen or if I have to buy a new screen. It is super cool. I wish I would have looked at it a bit more, but that is another day. I have my hand full right now anyway. I have to upgrade my roof

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-22-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Sorry guys but I didn't get a chance to do measurements for the ongoing saga "Where's Dgage's Midbass". Maybe tomorrow.

I may not have the midbass nailed down but I think I have the subbass covered. I present to you a pair of SI HST-18s and a pair of HS-24s. Should be fun to play with over the next few weeks and compare the HST-18s to my LMS-5400s. In the smaller attached pictures, I compare a quarter to the HUMONGOUS foam surround on the HST-18...damn impressive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140822_16_37_33_Pro.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	224929   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140822_16_38_51_Pro.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	224937   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140822_16_38_58_Pro.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	224945   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140822_16_39_09_Pro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	224953  
dgage is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,534
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Has Nick decided to finally offer the HST-18's? Man that would be cool if he did.
jbrown15 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Has Nick decided to finally offer the HST-18's? Man that would be cool if he did.
I think he's real close to bringing them back, just finalizing details. There were many of us hounding him and he finally relented. He had no choice but to give the people what they want.
dgage is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 19,384
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I'll throw this out there....anyone have a pair of slant 8hts they looking to sell... I am in the market.


Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
FS SMX Scope Screen for $700 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...een-700-a.html
FS ISCO III (sold pending payment) http://www.avsforum.com/forum/218-di...hht-stand.html
rboster is online now  
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Sorry guys but I didn't get a chance to do measurements for the ongoing saga "Where's Dgage's Midbass". Maybe tomorrow.

I may not have the midbass nailed down but I think I have the subbass covered. I present to you a pair of SI HST-18s and a pair of HS-24s. Should be fun to play with over the next few weeks and compare the HST-18s to my LMS-5400s. In the smaller attached pictures, I compare a quarter to the HUMONGOUS foam surround on the HST-18...damn impressive.


once these get pounding the walls may cave in and then room boundary will be a moot point!! They look impressive. What amp will you drive these with? Sealed, ported? Can those 18's work in a horn? OMG!
lbrown105 is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,049
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
once these get pounding the walls may cave in and then room boundary will be a moot point!! They look impressive. What amp will you drive these with? Sealed, ported? Can those 18's work in a horn? OMG!
A pair of SpeakerPower SP2-8000 amps will drive each subwoofer with 4000w at 2 ohms.

They will be sealed cabinets and I'll have to play with cabinet size and DSP to determine what size I'll end up with. Much fun to be had.

Good point on the room boundary. That is indeed one way to get rid of that annoyance and I was thinking about expanding the room anyway. Do you think the insurance company has destruction by subwoofer as a check box on their claims worksheet? LOL!
countryWV likes this.
dgage is online now  
Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 6,286
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Na dude, you want A-T. Get that center channel where it wants to go....where it NEEDS to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Couldn't agree more, I just wish I had done it right from the start instead of having to go through the hassle of selling my old screen and taking a $300 lose!...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
All the cool kids have AT screens
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ehhh still not worrying too much about not having an AT screen. I don't want to lose light and the sound from my center is still damn good as is. I've been in a ton of AT rooms now and while I love them I don't feel like I'm losing a ton in my room, in fact I prefer my setup to many, mostly because I like a massive screen and most are smaller - and the fact that the sound of the 215's do it for me.

Seriously guys, I think I'm done buying HT stuff for a long time. I'm so happy with everything right now there just isn't any reason. I haven't had the itch for so long now (haha, relatively speaking).


Still.... I guarantee someday I'll have an AT setup. I think I'll do it all at once down the road - AT, 4k, Atmos. Until that's all figured out I'll be content with my current setup.

It will be fun to live vicariously through you guys as I'm sure you will all have ^ before I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I go back and forth on the subject myself. I wish I would have done an AT, but I decided against it and went with the fixed. I just did not have the space. I think the AT screen is very cool and sounds great, but it is something I can live without. Someday in the new house. The one thing I may upgrade on very soon is a masking system from Carada. I am not sure if I can add it to my current screen or if I have to buy a new screen. It is super cool. I wish I would have looked at it a bit more, but that is another day. I have my hand full right now anyway. I have to upgrade my roof
Well AT in my living room is a bit of a challenge but can be done. I placed the order for the non AT material but it didn't ship out...Easy to cancel...hmmmm...can change that for spandex...
jlpowell84 is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,908
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Has Nick decided to finally offer the HST-18's? Man that would be cool if he did.
90mm of xmax coming at ya!!!
Archaea, jbrown15 and Gorilla83 like this.
popalock is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,179
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
@popalock ,


Last night we damaged on of kcnitro07s lms5400 drivers. The surrround came unglued and started flapping. So we played with the other one most of the night, it is so much less capable than the ported captivatator because of type of box alignment it is ridiculous..
It sounds great, but man the tapped out volume difference is huge between the two. We had the driver tapping a bit metallically as we inched up the volume responsibly, and backed down. MLV? - 17db with the sub 6dB Hot on the Ironman jericho scene. I told him he needs to dump the sealed cabs and go to a big ported cab, cause the lms5400 driver is superior to a captivatator driver and the box alignment made the vast difference.

Doh

I might have to pull a notnyt, sell my eight sealed cabs and make big low ported monster boxes for my eight ultimax after that pitiful output demonstration.

Amp was a bridged crrown xls-5000. We discovered in testing the epx-4000 is weaksause compared to the crown xls-5000. Both amps bridged to four ohm mono. Like 6dB different in headroom, and more compression on the epx-4000 bridged. The epx-4000 couldn't put a hurt on the lms5400 driver, the crown easilky could.

All that playing meant I didn't get my eight sealed finished, a task for today.
jbrown15 and NWCgrad like this.

I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Archaea is online now  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,755
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@popalock ,


Last night we damaged on of kcnitro07s lms5400 drivers. The surrround came unglued and started flapping. So we played with the other one most of the night, it is so much less capable than the ported captivatator because of type of box alignment it is ridiculous..
It sounds great, but man the tapped out volume difference is huge between the two. We had the driver tapping a bit metallically as we inched up the volume responsibly, and backed down. MLV? - 17db with the sub 6dB Hot on the Ironman jericho scene. I told him he needs to dump the sealed cabs and go to a big ported cab, cause the lms5400 driver is superior to a captivatator driver and the box alignment made the vast difference.

Doh

I might have to pull a notnyt, sell my eight sealed cabs and make big low ported monster boxes for my eight ultimax after that pitiful output demonstration.

Amp was a bridged crrown xls-5000. We discovered in testing the epx-4000 is weaksause compared to the crown xls-5000. Both amps bridged to four ohm mono. Like 6dB different in headroom, and more compression on the epx-4000 bridged. The epx-4000 couldn't put a hurt on the lms5400 driver, the crown easilky could.

All that playing meant I didn't get my eight sealed finished, a task for today.


Did he leave the 5400's at your place?

Remember, a lot of the reason the Cap has no problem with scenes like the Iron Man one you played is because they aren't playing the low stuff, meanwhile the 5400 is struggling because it has to play it.

I bet when you get all 8 of your Dayton's setup you will have enough output and headroom that you won't feel like messing with selling the cabinets and going ported.

Also, you will need so much more space for subs. The cabinets will all have to be at least twice the size right? Do you have room for that?

You could go 4 drivers in huge cabinets and then sell the other 4 drivers but you would be taking up the same or more space than you already are with 8 sealed and the output would be similar so there wouldn't be much benefit.

If you have room for 8 massive boxes and need the output then it makes sense.
carp is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,179
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Yeah he left both here, but only one works now.
Its under warranty and he'll have to send it in. We were not being irresponsible, we were inching up the volume a dB at a time or so until we saw blinking clip lights with the ironman jericho scene with that scene on repeat.
Luke Kamp might come by today too. Carp, come on over when you can.

Yeah for 3 hours of sleep.

I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Archaea is online now  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 7,755
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
That sucks man, that 5400 driver scares me - I've seen too many horror stories.

I'll check with Luke, maybe I'll pick him up this afternoon. Take a nap.
carp is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 480
I'm planning on building out some monster ported boxes for the new HST drivers. As soon as this craziness around the house dies down, I want to holler at Nick for a couple of those bad boys. 15-17hz tune would be plenty for me.
carp, Archaea, jbrown15 and 1 others like this.
Gorilla83 is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,908
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yeah he left both here, but only one works now.
Its under warranty and he'll have to send it in. We were not being irresponsible, we were inching up the volume a dB at a time or so until we saw blinking clip lights with the ironman jericho scene with that scene on repeat.
Luke Kamp might come by today too. Carp, come on over when you can.

Yeah for 3 hours of sleep.
Warranty? Meaning he bought them from parts express less than 45 days ago? Evenso, I think he might be looking at a $489 miatake.
popalock is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,908
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 1653
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yeah he left both here, but only one works now.
Its under warranty and he'll have to send it in. We were not being irresponsible, we were inching up the volume a dB at a time or so until we saw blinking clip lights with the ironman jericho scene with that scene on repeat.
Luke Kamp might come by today too. Carp, come on over when you can.

Yeah for 3 hours of sleep.
Warranty? Meaning he bought them from parts express less than 45 days ago? Evenso, I think he might be looking at a $489 miatake.
popalock is offline  
Old 08-23-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 9,179
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Warranty? Meaning he bought them from parts express less than 45 days ago? Evenso, I think he might be looking at a $489 mistake.


We looked it up and think he's okay.


Warranty is 1 year on manufactures defect which includes surround glue. I honestly do think in this case it was a defect. It never bottomed out (his EPX 4000 watt amp bridged can't even do it), and it started making the air flutter sound way before the other one started tapping out by a soft clinking at max excursion. We thought it was a air leak with one of the screws, but after taking the driver out (and stripping out one of his cab holes trying to make it tighter - his doing not mine) we figured out the surround had come loose of the metal frame.


He's had them for less than a year, cause he just bought them early this spring.


Those LMS-5400 drivers are BEASTS in person. The motor structure makes my 50 lb ultimax 18's look like toys. Ridiculously heavy trying to put in the box.

I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
I will not hoard audio gear
Archaea's FS Thread
Archaea is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
taboola here
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off