AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  Groto 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#14,941 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232049

I'm going to go a slightly different route like what beast did. I'm going to tryout some Beyma drivers and build a little higher end surround like this

Looks like it'll cost just under a grand to make a pair.

OR you could man up...sell your fancy AT screen and use the funds to get JTR surrounds

#14,943 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232049

I'm going to go a slightly different route like what beast did. I'm going to tryout some Beyma drivers and build a little higher end surround like this

Looks like it'll cost just under a grand to make a pair.

We heard these yesterday as LR. Sounded great.

#14,945 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232184

Never seeing used S8s for sale says a lot towards how satisfied the owners of them are. The components are only as good as the XO and that is where Jeff has NO equals.

Chris

Chris, while I agree with you for the most part there's no reason to believe the Beyma surrounds wouldn't sound great too. Beast is having MTG90 make some custom crossovers for his surrounds after the latest GTG.

If I can get 95% of the performance of Slant 8's for less then half the price which are only going to be used as surrounds, I'm sold 100% on them.

#14,948 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24231940

IMHO, transcuders get old pretty quick and not as good as two or more very good subs, which is a much better investment for the long term.

That was sort of my thought too as I have room on my amp for a 4th LMS 5400 but would have a heck of a time fitting a 4th in my room. I was intrigued by Archea (I think) speaking highly of the Crowson transducers because they go down to 15 Hz. But not at $400 a piece. I could potentially spend a little (ok a lot) more and do two dual-opposed infinite baffle manifolds on the left side of my living room.

#14,949 ·
I'm looking for input on my HT. I'm rebuilding it and I've had Paradigm Studio 80's (V2) for mains and a CC for the center channel.

I really like the sound but I'm wondering if the dispersion on these are too wide for HT and should I be looking at something like the JTR Noesis 228 for LCR?

Has anyone here heard both or switched from one or the other?

#14,950 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232337

I'm looking for input on my HT. I'm rebuilding it and I've had Paradigm Studio 80's (V2) for mains and a CC for the center channel.

I really like the sound but I'm wondering if the dispersion on these are too wide for HT and should I be looking at something like the JTR Noesis 228 for LCR?

Has anyone here heard both or switched from one or the other?

Jeff I have owned many Paradigm reference speakers over the years (Studio 20, 100, servo 15, Sub 15,etc..) I have a soft spot for paradigm in my heart. That being said, the JTRs are much better for HT for dynamics. They can really give you that high quality movie theater sound and my Paradigms never sounded good towards reference...they would start to sound harsh. The JTRs are also easier to drive for any amp since they are more efficient. For music, it probably would be a lot closer but I would still give the edge to JTR. I wonder if it would be possible for you to get a demo...I know we have many forum members from Canada, I just don't know if any of them are close to you.

#14,951 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232261

Chris, while I agree with you for the most part there's no reason to believe the Beyma surrounds wouldn't sound great too. Beast is having MTG90 make some custom crossovers for his surrounds after the latest GTG.

If I can get 95% of the performance of Slant 8's for less then half the price which are only going to be used as surrounds, I'm sold 100% on them.
There was no hidden jab or slight toward any other speaker or situation.

My post was as simple as the words they say. The costumers who have purchased the S8 seem to be satisfied. I'm basing this off there is almost never any used ones for sale Nor read a negative comment.

I hope positive comments on JTR speakers are still welcome on this thread.

This past summer I had Matt (MTG90) design and build me 4 custom XOs for my DIY project. He did me a favor I could have never done on my own for a great price.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=257.0

Chris

#14,952 ·
I'm watching the northeast GTG very closly right now. I've been tempted to go for the 228's, but I need time to decide. My HT room is 13x10. Are the 228's too big for that room or can I make them work? Tempted by the SEOS too. I am making a trip up island at the end of the month to visit tuxedocivic and learn some things about these types of speakers.

#14,953 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232198

We heard these yesterday as LR. Sounded great.

Dang I wish I could have stayed later to hear the beyma's. The 24" SI that Beast also brought in free air at +3 reference level (perhaps even higher) was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232266

Care to go into a little more detail on how they sounded? was there anything there to compare them with?

There were Klipsch, DIYsoundgroup (cheap thrills) and Danely Sound Labs on tap last night. The Danley's were pretty awesome in my view. Can't say they were better than Carps 212's or Archaea's 228's.

#14,954 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232537

Jeff I have owned many Paradigm reference speakers over the years (Studio 20, 100, servo 15, Sub 15,etc..) I have a soft spot for paradigm in my heart. That being said, the JTRs are much better for HT for dynamics. They can really give you that high quality movie theater sound and my Paradigms never sounded good towards reference...they would start to sound harsh. The JTRs are also easier to drive for any amp since they are more efficient. For music, it probably would be a lot closer but I would still give the edge to JTR. I wonder if it would be possible for you to get a demo...I know we have many forum members from Canada, I just don't know if any of them are close to you.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm really beginning to lean towards the 228's. I love my Paradigm's, but I might move them to a spot more for music.

Follow up: Would you go Triple 12/8's again in the front or would go Noesis 228's? What is the major difference in the designs in terms of sound quality for HT?

#14,955 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232569

There was no hidden jab or slight toward any other speaker or situation.

My post was as simple as the words they say. The costumers who have purchased the S8 seem to be satisfied. I'm basing this off there is almost never any used ones for sale Nor read a negative comment.

I hope positive comments on JTR speakers are still welcome on this thread.

This past summer I had Matt (MTG90) design and build me 4 custom XOs for my DIY project. He did me a favor I could have never done on my own for a great price.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=257.0

Chris

Cool build... While checking out the crossover, something just popped into my mind. See the white cables connecting the crossover parts? They are tiny...

So, my question then is, why would a bigger gauge speaker cable matter at all, when at the end of the road, they actually have to go thru tiny cables within the crossover??? It's like having a 6 inch water pipe that then connects to a 1 inch pipe... the water isn't going to flow any faster than a 1 inch pipe can allow...

So, putting 2 and 2 together, wouldn't this prove that 'big, monster' cables are all frauds????

Or, could i possibly be missing something?

#14,956 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/14800_100#post_24206063

I think the Captivator ported subs are neck and neck or best the very best of anything I've ever heard of any alignment or cost. I'm not a big believer that less than say 15hz even matters. I've heard nothing yet to sway me. Popalock's room demo with sixteen 18" subs this Friday night will decide if I can honestly continue to say that. If you can't impress me with ULF subsonic frequencies with sixteen 18" subs in a 1500 cubic foot room - then I don't care anything about ULF below about 15hz. We shall see.

So what are your thoughts?

#14,957 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232888

Cool build... While checking out the crossover, something just popped into my mind. See the white cables connecting the crossover parts? They are tiny...

So, my question then is, why would a bigger gauge speaker cable matter at all, when at the end of the road, they actually have to go thru tiny cables within the crossover??? It's like having a 6 inch water pipe that then connects to a 1 inch pipe... the water isn't going to flow any faster than a 1 inch pipe can allow...

So, putting 2 and 2 together, wouldn't this prove that 'big, monster' cables are all frauds????

It is not exactly the same as pipes. Part of the equation for resistance is distance. Having a thin wire for a short run is not a problem, but if you have a 25 foot speaker cable, you want something a little bigger. So when you take into account the distance the 3" thin wire may offer less resistance than the 25 foot thick wire. Beyond having adequate gauge, there is no need for fancy cables.

#14,958 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15000#post_24232888

Big cables are for distance. The longer the run the bigger the cable (12gauge) is needed.

I think that is what your asking.

Chris

#14,959 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15030#post_24232932

It is not exactly the same as pipes. Part of the equation for resistance is distance. Having a thin wire for a short run is not a problem, but if you have a 25 foot speaker cable, you want something a little bigger. So when you take into account the distance the 3" thin wire may offer less resistance than the 25 foot thick wire. Beyond having adequate gauge, there is no need for fancy cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV  /t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/15030#post_24232933

Big cables are for distance. The longer the run the bigger the cable (12gauge) is needed.

I think that is what your asking.

Chris

Ah, ok, so, beyond a 12 gauge or a 16 gauge (depending on distance), you don't really need anything bigger... also, would bigger gauge cables within the crossovers matter? even in those short distances? Those seem really, really tiny to me.. I can't imagine, for instance 500 watts of power going thru them.. . or, 2000 watts, for instance the 212s can take...