post #22471 of 22485 Old Today, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
My sub amp hasn't been turned on in at least a couple weeks so I know what you are talking about.

Do you eq the bass hot or just run them flat, I can't remember?
Boy, you two have me thinking. Get the 215s and ditch the dual S2 subs and 212s. My eyes tell me no way the 215s can keep up with dual S2s or dual OS but it sure sounds like some of the die hards on this forum say the 215 are sub like if you feed them enough juice. I love trying new stuff and this has me wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22472 of 22485 Old Today, 09:57 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
My sub amp hasn't been turned on in at least a couple weeks so I know what you are talking about.

Do you eq the bass hot or just run them flat, I can't remember?
They are level matched using my Integra (actually -4db for each sub channel and the center 215's lfe is also mixed into the L&R towers) and I still have a moderate bump in the FR down low where it is really needed as measured at the LP.

popalock likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #22473 of 22485 Old Today, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 572
That's moderate? ;p

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #22474 of 22485 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@popalock,

Last night we damaged on of kcnitro07s lms5400 drivers. The surrround came unglued and started flapping. So we played with the other one most of the night, it is so much less capable than the ported captivatator because of type of box alignment it is ridiculous..
It sounds great, but man the tapped out volume difference is huge between the two. We had the driver tapping a bit metallically as we inched up the volume responsibly, and backed down. MLV? - 17db with the sub 6dB Hot on the Ironman jericho scene. I told him he needs to dump the sealed cabs and go to a big ported cab, cause the lms5400 driver is superior to a captivatator driver and the box alignment made the vast difference.

Doh

I might have to pull a notnyt, sell my eight sealed cabs and make big low ported monster boxes for my eight ultimax after that pitiful output demonstration.

Amp was a bridged crrown xls-5000. We discovered in testing the epx-4000 is weaksause compared to the crown xls-5000. Both amps bridged to four ohm mono. Like 6dB different in headroom, and more compression on the epx-4000 bridged. The epx-4000 couldn't put a hurt on the lms5400 driver, the crown easilky could.

All that playing meant I didn't get my eight sealed finished, a task for today.

You gotta love big ported cabinets!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3 (2).jpg (109.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3 (13).jpg (143.8 KB, 19 views)
Frohlich likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #22475 of 22485 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I'm planning on building out some monster ported boxes for the new HST drivers. As soon as this craziness around the house dies down, I want to holler at Nick for a couple of those bad boys. 15-17hz tune would be plenty for me.

Man once again you guys out east have all the fun! ......LOL

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #22476 of 22485 Old Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
215RT update.

We watched The Incredible Hulk last night (first time I watched the entire movie ) at -12MV ... and the Sound Canon scene was very bit as good as with dual OS's. in many ways, the bass now is better as it is so clean. It is kind of like when I had quad JL Fathoms but with much better extension and overall output. For fun (after the wife left the room) I re-ran the sound canon scene at ref level and they had more to give.

When you consider that these speakers are great mains (2 channel or HT) and can also do subwoofer duty, they are an amazing value. Of course, they will not suffice for the most LFE hungry.

I've done that demo scene with a local guy and bottomed out both 215's easily at reference with my house curve when playing them full range.... I can't figure out how you and carp can watch movies with just them and watch at reference with house curve with stuff like that. Mine are begging for mercy at reference. I guess the fact that my room is not sealed must be the difference because I'm always reading these types of posts and wondering WTF? lol

Man I wish I had a sealed room!

On another note, I also gotta say it's a good thing Nick is bringing back the HST, they looked to preform very well, although personally they are the ugliest drive thats ever been made LOL It's all personal preference but the 24's look awesome ( minus the cheezy black ring around the basket) and the surrounds on HST are so far beyond awful lol. The regular SI18 looks much better. Although I think my favorite looking driver is the new UM18.... thats one sexy driver!
Archaea likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #22477 of 22485 Old Today, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Boy, you two have me thinking. Get the 215s and ditch the dual S2 subs and 212s. My eyes tell me no way the 215s can keep up with dual S2s or dual OS but it sure sounds like some of the die hards on this forum say the 215 are sub like if you feed them enough juice. I love trying new stuff and this has me wondering

They won't keep up with a pair of orbit shifters, It is NICE having the bass integrated to the mains, and I can see the appeal there, and I don't want to take anything away from the 215RT - it's an AMAZING speaker!!!! but in all fairness - they are just two ported medium excursion 15" drivers in a big ported cab. I've heard them at their limits and frankly I know one of my ported 2011 captivator subs has more in the tank than one of the 215RT towers for bass duty based on my real world experiences with both (based soley on the fact that my Behringer EP4000 could not bottom out my 2011 captivator ever, even without a high pass filter (HPF) --- regardless of source media (even war of the worlds pod emergence scene) and taking the amp all the way to solid hardly blinking clip lights, but desertdome's Cherry 800 watt monoblock amps were able to cause the 215RT drivers stress without a HPF in place at the dlbeck grand opening. Put the proper HPF in place (any type of ported enclosure needs to be used with an HPF if you are going to run the drivers hard) and the 215RT will take quite a bit more power with epic results! Once the HPF was put in place at the dlbeck meet all was fantastic! So this observation takes nothing away from the 215HT, but if we are truly being transparent here - assuming one is an over the top bass hound like a few of us in this thread - I'd conclude JTR subwoofers (or equivalent) still have their place in tandem with the 215RT.
Frohlich and N8DOGG like this.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

Last edited by Archaea; Today at 11:06 AM.
post #22478 of 22485 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
You gotta love big ported cabinets!

EPIC!

VERY NICE

Tooo late - but could you have aimed the ports forward??? I LOVE the air movement from my ported caps - as do most of my guests!!!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #22479 of 22485 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Oh yes, I agree you have to have subs. When watching a blockbuster action movie there is no way I would not have the subs on, same with doing demo's of course.

With a inuke 6000 I can get to over reference with heavy bass scenes but that's with the bass flat, no boost.

I think an interesting comparison would be dual Caps vs. the 215's. I know Jeff says they are = as far as bass output goes but I'd bet that the Caps would win pretty handily.

I would say that (completely subjective) that my 215's put out the same levels of bass that my passive Caps did when they were powered by a single ep4000, so obviously not maxed out. That would mean the Caps have around 6 more db's if you power them with the CV 5000 or the big Crown that Jonathan has.

I could be totally wrong of course, just guessing from all the experiences I've had.
Archaea likes this.
post #22480 of 22485 Old Today, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
EPIC!

VERY NICE

Tooo late - but could you have aimed the ports forward??? I LOVE the air movement from my ported caps - as do most of my guests!!!
I could but I would need to redesign the box and I really don't feel like build four more cabinets right now...lol

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #22481 of 22485 Old Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think if I were on a suspended floor like Rob I too would not need subs ever. Also don't forget he has 3 and I have 2.
post #22482 of 22485 Old Today, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Missed this post. Personally if I were to make any subwoofer change it would be to go to Orbit Shifters from my sealed subs but I don't need anymore headroom so I'm good.

Haha, it's full circle/grass is always greener thing. People going to sealed, then to ported, then to horns, and then a guy with horns (Rob) goes to full range no subs, etc.
post #22483 of 22485 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think if I were on a suspended floor like Rob I too would not need subs ever. Also don't forget he has 3 and I have 2.
I'm sure room setups greatly affect things like you mention carp. Rob has three and is in a sealed room on a suspended floor, you can Nate are running two 215's on concrete floors and from the sounds of things Nates room is large and open.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #22484 of 22485 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, it's full circle/grass is always greener thing. People going to sealed, then to ported, then to horns, and then a guy with horns (Rob) goes to full range no subs, etc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg circle of life.jpg (191.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png keep-calm-it-s-the-circle-of-life.png (31.4 KB, 0 views)
carp likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
post #22485 of 22485 Old Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I'm sure room setups greatly affect things like you mention carp. Rob has three and is in a sealed room on a suspended floor, you can Nate are running two 215's on concrete floors and from the sounds of things Nates room is large and open.

Suspended floors are an experience unto itself.......I have beefiest TJI's available 16 OC with 3000 lbs of sand on front stage and still floor deflection on heavy bass scenes are darn right scary!

Who needs buttkickers.....
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page