post #22591 of 24724 Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
True. My electromagnetic flux would distort your $hit bro...

I would pause the party and try to tweak just to get it sounding better to my ears. Otherwise, I it would literally drive me nuts the entire movie. For some reason random little stuff like that makes my blood boil, but if something big was to go wrong, it wouldn't bug me as much... Kinda weird, I know.

Maybe I just need to drink more...
Yep, the margaritas were the salve that kept me from diving into the problem. Well, that and that fact that I had already seen the movie 3 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I agree. We all gathered Sunday night for the AMZSPM2 and I stopped it 10 minutes into it and level matched the LCR as the dialog in the center was killing me. I was getting some dirty looks from the crowd because of the pink noise, but had to be done. Of course I fell asleep 10 minutes later, but it sounded much better for that 10 minutes.
Yes, those damn HT chairs put me to sleep even when the movie doesn't.
dgage likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22592 of 24724 Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 268
RMAF 2014 - A little background: Last year I contacted JRiver Media Center and offered to host a room at RMAF 2014. They were interested and said to go for it. Of course a room needs speakers. I contacted Jeff and he was interested in bringing a new speaker design he was working on. As we now know, that turned out to be the 215RT. The rest of the equipment/gear is all stuff that I'm bringing.

I've got the following so far:
  • Amps: 3 Digital Amp Company Cherry Monoblocks and 1 Cherry Jr. stereo amp for a total of 5 channels
  • Power: Torus RM 2.5 Power Isolation Unit
  • DAC: Lynx Aurora 16 Thunderbolt
  • Source: HTPC - I'm building a new Windows one with a motherboard that supports Thunderbolt, Linux NUC
  • Control: Ipad, Android Phone, iPhone, tablet, laptop, and keyboard
  • Monitor: 27" LCD
  • GIK Acoustics Room Treatments: two Tri-Traps, two 244 bass traps, two 242 acoustic panels

I also want a MacBook with Thunderbolt port.

The complaint I see most often about rooms at shows is that the acoustics are terrible and no treatments are being used. I hope this room can be treated to let Jeff's speakers sound the best. I may be able to borrow some more GIK Tri-Traps (4) and diffusors (2) from a local friend. Chris Seymour/Seymour AV has offered an AT screen, but then I need to get a projector. The AT screen would fit between the mains, but cover the center speaker.

How would you setup the room?
Anyone want to design a flyer and banner for the JTR Speakers 215RT?

JTR Speakers will be just down the hall from Wilson Speakers and GR Research.

Here is the room size:
RMK!, Reddig and jlpowell84 like this.
post #22593 of 24724 Old 08-26-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I know this isn't an exact science but bare with me here, but take a look at the data-bass measurements on the latest PSA XS15se sub. It basically uses the same driver as a SubM HP and puts up pretty good numbers, but is only powered by a 550watt amp. So if we were to by theory double the wattage to 1100watt that would add +3dB and if you were to say add a second driver also with 1100watts you'd gain about +6dB for a total of +9dB. Which would roughly have the same output as the 2400watt SubM HP. So take a look at the numbers of the XS15se and compare them to the UXL-18 and it's down about 9-10dB's compared to the UXL.

So I would have to think an UXL-18 would be very close in output to the SubM HP, but again that's just a shot in the dark....lol

What theeeeee heck?

Are we playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon?
post #22594 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
RMAF 2014 - A little background: Last year I contacted JRiver Media Center and offered to host a room at RMAF 2014. They were interested and said to go for it. Of course a room needs speakers. I contacted Jeff and he was interested in bringing a new speaker design he was working on. As we now know, that turned out to be the 215RT. The rest of the equipment/gear is all stuff that I'm bringing.

I've got the following so far:
  • Amps: 3 Digital Amp Company Cherry Monoblocks and 1 Cherry Jr. stereo amp for a total of 5 channels
  • Power: Torus RM 2.5 Power Isolation Unit
  • DAC: Lynx Aurora 16 Thunderbolt
  • Source: HTPC - I'm building a new Windows one with a motherboard that supports Thunderbolt, Linux NUC
  • Control: Ipad, Android Phone, iPhone, tablet, laptop, and keyboard
  • Monitor: 27" LCD
  • GIK Acoustics Room Treatments: two Tri-Traps, two 244 bass traps, two 242 acoustic panels

I also want a MacBook with Thunderbolt port.

The complaint I see most often about rooms at shows is that the acoustics are terrible and no treatments are being used. I hope this room can be treated to let Jeff's speakers sound the best. I may be able to borrow some more GIK Tri-Traps (4) and diffusors (2) from a local friend. Chris Seymour/Seymour AV has offered an AT screen, but then I need to get a projector. The AT screen would fit between the mains, but cover the center speaker.

How would you setup the room?
Anyone want to design a flyer and banner for the JTR Speakers 215RT?

JTR Speakers will be just down the hall from Wilson Speakers and GR Research.

Here is the room size:
I would like to come just to see the JRiver set up.
post #22595 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
So I know quite often guys ask for recommendation for surrounds other then JTR's that will work well with JTR mains. A lot of times JBL 8340 pro stuff is what people recommend, well I think I have found another excellent suggestion for guys to use. Reaction Audio's CX-10 10" coax speakers, they list them as an LCR speaker but it could easily be used as surrounds. I was actually a little shocked to see the components used in this speaker too, after talking with Jeremy from RE I discovered that they are using a compression driver that closely resembles the Radian 475pb http://radianaudio.com/product/745pb/ and the 10" driver is basically the http://www.usspeaker.com/radian%202210-1.htm and has a $150 custom crossover in it, all for only $599ea shipped. This appears to be an excellent price given the components the RE is using.

And to top it off after a few back and forth PM's with Jeremy, he's going to build me a surround speakers using the Radian 5208C 8" coax. http://radianaudio.com/wp/wp-content...2/5208C-e-.jpg which is a very nice coax. He's going to build me a slanted style ported cabinet with a magnetic grill cover in a satin black paint finish like the subs they build. They will be sized right around 13"x13" and at top 9" deep and I've asked for a 20 degree slant. Pricing is basically $500 shipped. Seems very reasonable and I'll have the first pair that they are building.

Like I said just thought I'd let you guys know because I know how many times guys post questions about what surrounds would work well with JTR mains because they can't afford to buy the S8's or Slant 8's like myself.
Your post got me really excited about this project. I assume that's $500 per speaker. Is he open to doing more after your set? Keep us posted...this maybe my next purchase...can't quite swing the full price of the slant 8's but would like to look for an alternative to my JBL 8340a's.

Thanks very much for sharing this awesome discovery.
post #22596 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Your post got me really excited about this project. I assume that's $500 per speaker. Is he open to doing more after your set? Keep us posted...this maybe my next purchase...can't quite swing the full price of the slant 8's but would like to look for an alternative to my JBL 8340a's.

Thanks very much for sharing this awesome discovery.

Yes $500 per speaker and he will be offering this speaker for other people to buy after my set. I know how you feel, I would love nothing more then to buy two pairs of Slant 8's for my room too. But just can't justify spend that much, after all this is a hobby and not my only one I understand why the Slant 8 is priced the way it is though, as it uses a very high quality coax that costs around $500ea and then you figure in a cost of probably a $150 for a custom crossover, speaker cabinet and putting a finish on it. Plus Jeff needs to make money, so certainly not trying to say they aren't worth that. Just that I can't afford it and I think I've found an excellent alternative for guys looking to spend a little less.

I should have a sketch up of it by next week, anyone that's interested can pm me and I can send them some more details.
post #22597 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 80
There should be a coax surround speaker shootout.
Reddig likes this.
post #22598 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
There should be a coax surround speaker shootout.
We kinda did. My slanted 8's. Beastaudio Beastclops and Sibuna's Eminence 8's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	232209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	232217  
Reddig likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-27-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #22599 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We kinda did.
Apologies for my lousy search skills.
Are the results posted somewhere?
post #22600 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not sure. It would be the in the NE GTG Heavy weight GTG results thread if there is anything. Not really a shootout, just opinions. The real show was down stairs.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 08-27-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #22601 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Found this in another thread. Might fit the bill for the JTR crowd

(September 10-13) the miniDSP Home Theater Series of 8-channel HDMI audio processors for home theater with Dirac live digital room correction:
http://www.minidsp.com/ht-series/nanoavr-dl

This is the PRELIMINARY manual (version 0.2 dated tomorrow):
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/nanoAVR%20DL%20User%20Manual.pdf

Last edited by Frohlich; 08-27-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #22602 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Found this in another thread. Might fight the bill for the JTR crowd

(September 10-13) the miniDSP Home Theater Series of 8-channel HDMI audio processors for home theater with Dirac live digital room correction:
http://www.minidsp.com/ht-series/nanoavr-dl

This is the PRELIMINARY manual (version 0.2 dated tomorrow):
http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/nanoAVR%20DL%20User%20Manual.pdf
Yea, slick little unit for sure. I am contemplating getting one of the open DRC's with the dirac stuff to be able to use the EQ for all sources. Dirac by all accounts seems to be one of the most versatile DSP engines out there. Trinnov is another good one but there is no good implementations of it at this time for less that something like $10,000....heh, NOPE.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #22603 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea, slick little unit for sure. I am contemplating getting one of the open DRC's with the dirac stuff to be able to use the EQ for all sources. Dirac by all accounts seems to be one of the most versatile DSP engines out there. Trinnov is another good one but there is no good implementations of it at this time for less that something like $10,000....heh, NOPE.
Do any of the open DRC's eq 8 channels like the HDMI on does?

I looked quickly but I looked like they were only 2 ch.
post #22604 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Yes $500 per speaker and he will be offering this speaker for other people to buy after my set. I know how you feel, I would love nothing more then to buy two pairs of Slant 8's for my room too. But just can't justify spend that much, after all this is a hobby and not my only one I understand why the Slant 8 is priced the way it is though, as it uses a very high quality coax that costs around $500ea and then you figure in a cost of probably a $150 for a custom crossover, speaker cabinet and putting a finish on it. Plus Jeff needs to make money, so certainly not trying to say they aren't worth that. Just that I can't afford it and I think I've found an excellent alternative for guys looking to spend a little less.

I should have a sketch up of it by next week, anyone that's interested can pm me and I can send them some more details.
I was one of those guys asking about cheaper options for surrounds (considering the JBL 8350s). So I really appreciate the heads up regarding the CX-10s. And I know this is the JTR thread, but I think it's important to throw those alternatives out there for folks like me, who want to put as much of their budget as possible into JTR LCRs. And I might just bite the bullet and end up getting S-8s for surrounds. But I'm definitely going to reach out to Jeremy and see what the CX-10 has to offer.

jbrown, please keep in the loop regarding how your custom CX-10s pan out and thanks again.
post #22605 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
I was one of those guys asking about cheaper options for surrounds (considering the JBL 8350s). So I really appreciate the heads up regarding the CX-10s. And I know this is the JTR thread, but I think it's important to throw those alternatives out there for folks like me, who want to put as much of their budget as possible into JTR LCRs. And I might just bite the bullet and end up getting S-8s for surrounds. But I'm definitely going to reach out to Jeremy and see what the CX-10 has to offer.

jbrown, please keep in the loop regarding how your custom CX-10s pan out and thanks again.

I started a Reaction Audio thread in the speaker section, just out of respect for Jeff and my awesome JTR's I'll try to keep all of the chat over there. I'll post details of my surrounds over there, right now I'm just waiting to get the sketches from Jeremy on them.

Oh and my surrounds won't be based on the CX-10, that speaker uses a Radian 5210 coax, the speaker I'm going to get will use the 8" coax 5208C.
cranster likes this.
post #22606 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM

Liked: 8
Quote:
I started a Reaction Audio thread in the speaker section, just out of respect for Jeff and my awesome JTR's I'll try to keep all of the chat over there. I'll post details of my surrounds over there, right now I'm just waiting to get the sketches from Jeremy on them.

Oh and my surrounds won't be based on the CX-10, that speaker uses a Radian 5210 coax, the speaker I'm going to get will use the 8" coax 5208C.
Good to know a thread was started. I'd previously only seen the Reaction Audio subwoofer thread. Thanks!
post #22607 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Hey no worries There are no "self elected thread police" here Sometimes it's just easier to ask then search for several minutes. I ask away in other threads. If someone wants to get grumpy because they have seen the same question asked many times, and sigh when they see it again, then perhaps they need a break from AVS anyway!

What CD's are in Sibuna's surround speakers there in that pick? Those Volt's?
NWCgrad likes this.
post #22608 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Do any of the open DRC's eq 8 channels like the HDMI on does?

I looked quickly but I looked like they were only 2 ch.
Yea, just two...I have one for my dual submersives. Recently remembered how it takes the noise out. I am thinking about adding a nanoavr in addition so I can EQ my speakers. I want to try and experiment with pulling the 2-4k region down a little and a little mid bass bump. Try and get a nice response like Brandon has. Can you post your graph again Beast? I want to save it for a target model. I would do a simple image search but I don't know how on the new AVS and have asked elsewhere only to get the silence treatment :/
post #22609 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Hey no worries There are no "self elected thread police" here Sometimes it's just easier to ask then search for several minutes. I ask away in other threads. If someone wants to get grumpy because they have seen the same question asked many times, and sigh when they see it again, then perhaps they need a break from AVS anyway!

I don't know the specs on them, but he has tweaked them and they sound better. I seen them a few weeks ago. He put a nice stained finish on them. He was running them outside later in the evening with a T amp and cell phone for music. A little background music while the fellas were finishing up sub cutouts with the CNC.
post #22610 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

It is funny how different parts of AVS have such different personalities.
post #22611 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

With Dolby Atmos, all these surround speakers get really pricey. They should sell them for a discount in an 8-pack (4 surround + 4 ceiling speakers).
post #22612 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With Dolby Atmos, all these surround speakers get really pricey. They should sell them for a discount in an 8-pack (4 surround + 4 ceiling speakers).
That is why some people think it is going to fail. Just to get started you have to replace your AVR.
post #22613 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Funk Audio now has their new amp that I was telling you guys about listed on their webpage.
http://www.funkaudio.ca/store/p6/Fun...4kW_x2_M1.html

Nathan brought two over to the GTG that I hosted, it was a really nice amp!
post #22614 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Quote:
Funk Audio now has their new amp that I was telling you guys about listed on their webpage.

Is that 4800W RMS at 4ohms?
post #22615 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
Is that 4800W RMS at 4ohms?

Yes, Nathan also describes these amps as very easy on your breakers. We were running two of them on a dedicated 15amp breaker power his 18.2 sub at the GTG that I hosted and we never had any issues with tripping the breaker.
post #22616 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

So with this new nanoAVR DL coming out, will it allow you to PEQ all of your speaker channels too or does it only allow you to use dirac live room correction?

I want to get something soon to measure and PEQ each speaker for the flattest response possible in my room but don't really know what I should get or if I should wait
post #22617 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 319
The nano with Dirac looks extremely interesting. 599$ with the full licence isn't to bad as long as it works well. Only bad thing is lack of HDMI 2.0....

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #22618 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Went from 50 inch to 100 inch Much better. Gonna send back the sample Ben Q1070 and roll with an LCD Epson 8350 for the time being. Black levels are an immediate distraction but overall it is very worth it I basically took the mounting brackets that bolt to the back of a flatscreen and made my own attachments for the back of the screen. And it just hangs where the Panasonic used to be. Pictures are just horrible. I am gonna literally throw this old pos in the trash. I should just add on to the Amazon basket...But I always feel this camera distorts size perspective. To me the screen looks small in that pic but it's quite big. Coulda fit slightly bigger in but then heights would be void as it sits out away from the wall about a ft. Anyway now its time to fine tweak, calibrate and start rolling the movie nights for friends. We have a list to go through
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3792.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	232817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3794.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	232825   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3791.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	232833   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3790.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	232841  
carp and beastaudio like this.

Last edited by jlpowell84; 08-27-2014 at 10:46 PM.
post #22619 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know the specs on them, but he has tweaked them and they sound better. I seen them a few weeks ago. He put a nice stained finish on them. He was running them outside later in the evening with a T amp and cell phone for music. A little background music while the fellas were finishing up sub cutouts with the CNC.
Man I wished I lived near other AVS junkies like myself. Lots of exposure and fun! And of course all the cool stuff you get to hear!
post #22620 of 24724 Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

I have a pair of SpeakerPower SP2-8000, which put out 4000w into 2 ohms on each channel for just a little more than that amp (contact Seaton). With the SpeakerPower you don't get the DSP control so that is one negative. The Funk Audio amp looks to be real nice and to me the SpeakerPower have proven themselves so two good options for similar cost depending on your needs...more control or more power. Thanks for sharing.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page