post #22621 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Yes, Nathan also describes these amps as very easy on your breakers. We were running two of them on a dedicated 15amp breaker power his 18.2 sub at the GTG that I hosted and we never had any issues with tripping the breaker.
That's quite impressive.

By the way, unless there are negative reviews, this new NanoAVR DL will be my next upgrade. I'll also need to replace my Anthem AVM20 pre pro with one that has HDMI and XLR outputs for around $400. Hopefully, Atmos will launch some options my way in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22622 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Hey no worries There are no "self elected thread police" here Sometimes it's just easier to ask then search for several minutes. I ask away in other threads. If someone wants to get grumpy because they have seen the same question asked many times, and sigh when they see it again, then perhaps they need a break from AVS anyway!

What CD's are in Sibuna's surround speakers there in that pick? Those Volt's?
The Denovo DNA-150

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial...-volt-kit.html
post #22623 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Funk Audio now has their new amp that I was telling you guys about listed on their webpage.
http://www.funkaudio.ca/store/p6/Fun...4kW_x2_M1.html

Nathan brought two over to the GTG that I hosted, it was a really nice amp!
Did you get to play around with the dsp? I'm just wondering if it's user friendly and how configurable it is. The amps looks to have plenty of power, but there are other amps I might purchase before this if going strictly for the power specs. That said, I'd really like for sub amp to include built-in dsp. That's what makes the inuke amps so appealing. Thanks for linking to these.
post #22624 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
That is why some people think it is going to fail. Just to get started you have to replace your AVR.
Yeah, I think that is the hard part. New AVR, new speakers in the ceiling (hard to run for most people..including me), new amps, new software,etc. We are die hards here compared to most folks and if we think it is kind of pain to upgrade to Atmos then average Joe won't be willing to do it. I think it will stay a niche market.
post #22625 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Yeah, I think that is the hard part. New AVR, new speakers in the ceiling (hard to run for most people..including me), new amps, new software,etc. We are die hards here compared to most folks and if we think it is kind of pain to upgrade to Atmos then average Joe won't be willing to do it. I think it will stay a niche market.
Yep, I said it will be a 1%'s market, to start anyway. Allot of the diehards have most of this stuff laying around anyway, but most people are bothered by even adding an amp. I can see these top firing 5.1 systems selling, but that is not Atmos, I don't care what the people say that have heard it. The 1%'s will do Atmos right. It will probably catch on, but not for a long time. Eventually people will upgrade up to a new AVR and it will be be an option like 3D. It will certainly be like 3D, some will use it, some won't.
Reddig likes this.
post #22626 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
That's quite impressive.

By the way, unless there are negative reviews, this new NanoAVR DL will be my next upgrade. I'll also need to replace my Anthem AVM20 pre pro with one that has HDMI and XLR outputs for around $400. Hopefully, Atmos will launch some options my way in the near future.
Keep in mind that it only works on PCM and doesn't do any surround decoding. You'd have to do that in a PC w/JRiver or BluRay player (if it supports that). You might be better off getting it all in one package, like with the XMC-1 (+ 40% discount card).

If you use a PC, you could just use software Dirac Live. One benefit of the software is that you can it in 2 rooms. Also, it supports sample rates up to 96 kHz.

One big benefit of the nanoAVR, though, is that you could use it for more sources (BluRay player, game console, etc) especially combined with an HDMI switch box, if you need more than 2.

The price for that nanoAVR w/Dirac looks very attractive, though, especially if you don't want to upgrade your pre-amp. The main downside is the 7.1 channel limit. Dirac isn't supposed to be used before a matrix mixer, and I've tried that, and I didn't like the results. If 7.1 works for you, it sure sounds great, though.
post #22627 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep, I said it will be a 1%'s market, to start anyway. Allot of the diehards have most of this stuff laying around anyway, but most people are bothered by even adding an amp. I can see these top firing 5.1 systems selling, but that is not Atmos, I don't care what the people say that have heard it. The 1%'s will do Atmos right. It will probably catch on, but not for a long time. Eventually people will upgrade up to a new AVR and it will be be an option like 3D. It will certainly be like 3D, some will use it, some won't.
I agree that it's a niche thing, but I don't know if it will be as bad as you're saying.

If future receivers have the extra channels built-in, and it just takes a couple Atmos-ready speakers, I'm not sure why that has to be so much harder than surround speakers. As far as adoption goes, it could end up being close to surround sound, once the industry pushes it everywhere.

3D has other problems (wearing glasses, darker video, motion sickness), but the industry certainly did their best to push it.
post #22628 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Man I wished I lived near other AVS junkies like myself. Lots of exposure and fun! And of course all the cool stuff you get to hear!
It is pretty cool. They are out there, you just have to find them and drive a little. You have the guys in B.C ? I would be right up there with Joe and the gang if I was in the Pacific Norwest.
post #22629 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
I agree that it's a niche thing, but I don't know if it will be as bad as you're saying.

If future receivers have the extra channels built-in, and it just takes a couple Atmos-ready speakers, I'm not sure why that has to be so much harder than surround speakers. As far as adoption goes, it could end up being close to surround sound, once the industry pushes it everywhere.

3D has other problems (wearing glasses, darker video, motion sickness), but the industry certainly did their best to push it.
If you have been around these forums long enough I am sure you have read the "My wife won't let me get a big sub" or the "The speakers are ugly" If guys are not allowed to have a sub in the house, how are they going to wire 12 speakers. How many times have you heard some not getting a speaker because it needs an amp ? I'm not being disrespectful, it is just what you read. Like I said as AVRs move on and people buy new ones it will be an option and it will grow, but really it will be who takes advantage of it. Certainly the guys with the dedicated rooms will be the biggest takers. I just think it will be a hard sell to the WAF crowd.
Reddig likes this.
post #22630 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you have been around these forums lone enough I am sure you have read the "My wife won't let me get a big sub" or the "The speakers are ugly" If guys are not allowed to have a sub in the house, how are they going to wire 12 speakers. How many times have you heard some not getting a speaker because it needs an amp ? Like I said as AVRs move on and people buy new ones it will be an option and it will grow, but really it will be who takes advantage of it. Certainly the guys with the dedicated rooms will be the biggest takers. I just think it will be a hard sell to the WAF crowd.
Imagine a Home Theater in a Box kit, which simply includes Atmos-ready mains and surround speakers. That doesn't seem any different than surround speakers.
post #22631 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Imagine a Home Theater in a Box kit, which simply includes Atmos-ready mains and surround speakers. That doesn't seem any different than surround speakers.
Actually, the one to watch for that is DTS UHD. Never rule out competition.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dts-de...130000624.html
post #22632 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
I think ATMOS will have more staying power than 3D. The Pioneer up-firing speaker offerings are "affordable" and based upon early reviews, communicate the basic effect well enough in the average living/media room. I'm sure other commercial speaker companies will jump on the Atmos capable band wagon. Getting Atmos audio content on disk or streamed soon will be a make or break factor.

Personally, I'm leaning toward doing 4 ceiling speakers and a new processor as my next upgrade.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #22633 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Do any of the open DRC's eq 8 channels like the HDMI on does?

I looked quickly but I looked like they were only 2 ch.
Yea, just two channels, but I would be willing to bet Mini ends up implementing something along those lines in their 8x8 or 10x10 so you can get some sort of EQ for each channel. The thing I DONT like about the nano is that it is done over HDMI. I have too many sources coming in to only have the ability to get the EQ on just two HDMI's. I want it on all sources, that is why I went with the open DRC.

Quote:
Yea, just two...I have one for my dual submersives. Recently remembered how it takes the noise out. I am thinking about adding a nanoavr in addition so I can EQ my speakers. I want to try and experiment with pulling the 2-4k region down a little and a little mid bass bump. Try and get a nice response like Brandon has. Can you post your graph again Beast? I want to save it for a target model. I would do a simple image search but I don't know how on the new AVS and have asked elsewhere only to get the silence treatment :/
Sure thing I still have a little playing to do, but this is a good no-eq start I would say

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #22634 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Personally, I'm leaning toward doing 4 ceiling speakers and a new processor as my next upgrade.
Me too
post #22635 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I have too many sources coming in to only have the ability to get the EQ on just two HDMI's.
You could use a separate HDMI switcher + a single input on the nano.
post #22636 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea, just two channels, but I would be willing to bet Mini ends up implementing something along those lines in their 8x8 or 10x10 so you can get some sort of EQ for each channel. The thing I DONT like about the nano is that it is done over HDMI. I have too many sources coming in to only have the ability to get the EQ on just two HDMI's. I want it on all sources, that is why I went with the open DRC.

Sure thing I still have a little playing to do, but this is a good no-eq start I would say

Stop bragging (you just think "you done it" ), that is pretty good for one tiny little, itsy bitsy spot in space measurement. Move the mic a foot or two in any direction and you go from the the Black Hills to the Rocky Mountains in terms of FR.

HToM

Last edited by RMK!; 08-28-2014 at 09:14 AM.
post #22637 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Not really. Gotta love point source
post #22638 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Me too

Me three Oh, and a 4K projector. This stuff never ends. My biggest concern is the that the new Atmos AVRs and/or pre/pros won't have a chipset that can do HDCP 2.2 (except Onkyo but they made different compromises including dropping Audessey) so what do we do in a couple years when 4K blu ray comes out and forces us all upgrade again to something HDCP 2.2 compliant. It never ends!!!!!
post #22639 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Me three Oh, and a 4K projector. This stuff never ends. My biggest concern is the that the new Atmos AVRs and/or pre/pros won't have a chipset that can do HDCP 2.2 (except Onkyo but they made different compromises including dropping Audessey) so what do we do in a couple years when 4K blu ray comes out and forces us all upgrade again to something HDCP 2.2 compliant. It never ends!!!!!
It's that damn video stuff, never a stable technology and always needs up-grading to the latest greatest.

Good thing I never upgrade my speakers ...

HToM

post #22640 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's that damn video stuff, never a stable technology and always needs up-grading to the latest greatest.

Good thing I never upgrade my speakers ...
I hear you brotha. You have had those 215s for over 100 seconds....NEW RECORD!!!!!!!

BTW, here is a little shoplifted info from the Marantz AV8802 thread.

Onkyo uses the Silicon image chipset which supports HDCP 2.2 as well as the HDMI 2.0 feature of 4K60HZ video pass-through, but only with 4:2:0/8bit color(3G), 10.2 Gbps (same as HDMI 1.4).

Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Pioneer use the Panasonic chipset which supports the HDMI 2.0 feature of 4K60HZ video pass-through, with 4:4:4/8bit, 4:2:2/12bit and 4:2:0/16bit color (6G),18 Gbps, but not HDCP 2.2.

Last edited by Frohlich; 08-28-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #22641 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
I hear you brotha. You have had those 215s for over 100 seconds....NEW RECORD!!!!!!!

BTW, here is a little shoplifted info from the Marantz AV8802 thread.

Onkyo uses the Silicon image chipset which supports HDCP 2.2 as well as the HDMI 2.0 feature of 4K60HZ video pass-through, but only with 4:2:0/8bit color(3G), 10.2 Gbps (same as HDMI 1.4).

Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Pioneer use the Panasonic chipset which supports the HDMI 2.0 feature of 4K60HZ video pass-through, with 4:4:4/8bit, 4:2:2/12bit and 4:2:0/16bit color (6G),18 Gbps, but not HDCP 2.2.
Yeah, I'm getting concerned that at this rate, they will leave a permanent imprint in the carpet ...

I'm thinking of giving the Marantz pre a go but the Integra's have been very reliable.

HToM

Last edited by RMK!; 08-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #22642 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm getting concerned that at this rate, they will leave a permanent imprint in the carpet ...

I'm thinking of giving the Marantz pre a go but the Integra's have been very reliable.
Cannot go wrong with DM. However I am not touching anything till the 2nd generation Atmos. From what I understand the September releases are not going to be preloaded with Atmos, but Atmos capable relying on a software upgrade. Not sure if it all of them. Sounds like vaporware to me I also read the higher end Denon won't be out till the new year?
post #22643 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Just ordered the xmc-1. I should have it within 4 weeks. Atmos is not a priority for me now, maybe two years from now. Looking forward to seeing what Dirac can do with Impulse response and the blended finite and infinite phase filter approach.
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #22644 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

the xmc-1 is actually no longer vaporware?

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #22645 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Just ordered the xmc-1. I should have it within 4 weeks. Atmos is not a priority for me now, maybe two years from now. Looking forward to seeing what Dirac can do with Impulse response and the blended finite and infinite phase filter approach.
I was going to order it, however when I wanted it, they did not have it available. Then I heard they were shipping it with no dirac?
post #22646 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Were you on the list and they contacted you or did you just place an order for the first time today?
post #22647 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes Dirac will come as a firmware update via USb flash drive. Mine may have it loaded since it won't be shipped till the end of September. Just have to wait and see. Either way I will have fully balanced outs to my Lg10k plus better distance control than my minidsp for my third OS and 11 band PEQ. Should be fun. What will be my limiting factor? 212's running off the LG on a dedicated 30 amp line or triple orbit shifters? Or maybe just ears and walls caving in! Haha.
post #22648 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Yes Dirac will come as a firmware update via USb flash drive. Mine may have it loaded since it won't be shipped till the end of September. Just have to wait and see. Either way I will have fully balanced outs to my Lg10k plus better distance control than my minidsp for my third OS and 11 band PEQ. Should be fun. What will be my limiting factor? 212's running off the LG on a dedicated 30 amp line or triple orbit shifters? Or maybe just ears and walls caving in! Haha.
The limiting factor will be your hearing.

I have one of those $1K upgrade coupons from my DMC-1 days. This unit is mildly interesting and might be worth a try while I wait for Atmos to mature.

HToM

post #22649 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Were you on the list and they contacted you or did you just place an order for the first time today?
Coach I was on the list as of June 2012. Not sure how much a difference that will make. They seem to be in full blown production mode now.
post #22650 of 26342 Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

2012......2012........ 2012
Reddig and countryWV like this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com