Official JTR speaker thread - Page 757 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #22681 of 24767 Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,790
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
-10000 I have really good experience with Emotiva so far. For $1200 I am going to have what I consider the best pre pro on the market for my needs. Plus I don't need some little toy receiver with built in T amps. HaHa
lol, it's all good, I know quite a few that have had good experiences as well. I think as far as processors go, I had the UMC-1 when it hit, it was sent back and forth 3 times, never was fixed, I lost out on shipping 3 times to them, almost 300$. My xpa-5 lost a channel, had a local service place fix it (that was actually pretty painless, emo paid for everything) My XPA-2 had the front panel go out and my airmotiv 6's had an amp go out, it never got changed, it went into the garbage. I never did like them lol.
So I've not had the best experience lol. I couldn't say how good or not the XMC-1 is, it's lacking hdmi 2.0 and thats enough of a no-go for me but thats not to say its the same for everyone as I plan on getting 4K everything pretty soon and would need it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22682 of 24767 Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yes, getting them. Listening to them poisoned my brain, sucking enjoyment out of anything else I listen to. And yes, yes, I know what you're thinking. It's all in my head. And the only thing I can say about that is to read sentence two again...I already know that
I honestly don't think it's in your head at all...more like your ears. Gotta trust them I'm sure they must be fantastic and I'm really curious to hear them since you're making such a big move.
I selfishly wish you could have done an A/B before selling off the 212s...would have been a good read...but not surprised by the fast sale.
Perhaps a future GTG for us east coasters might be in order to hear your new JBL, along with someone's 215 and 212

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
post #22683 of 24767 Old 08-28-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
It sounds great but I have only listened to some music at -30 to -27. Have family in for the weekend and they are using the bedroom above my system. No one will be home but me tomorrow afternoon, will crank it then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Yes I have REW, no dips in the midbass region that I am boosting.
Nice! I am looking to do the same with T8's.

Side note for all tonight. Greatest moment we can have in building our systems. Obviously I own a "lesser" system than most here. I would make the top 5 of weakest systems. But after we got our big screen and PJ up we watched Need for Speed tonight and I caught myself 100% immersed in the movie. I was like, "Dang! I didn't think about work tomm, bills, things I need to do, etc." Just totally immersed. I even forgot what day it was briefly with too! Happy days my friends All of this even happened coming from a decent plasma with deep blacks, like no visible letter box blacks. And we certainly had bright ones with this budget PJ.

Will get better with returning the BenQ 1070 and replacing with a BenQ W7000.
Reddig likes this.
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #22684 of 24767 Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yea, me thinks they will



Yes, getting them. Listening to them poisoned my brain, sucking enjoyment out of anything else I listen to. And yes, yes, I know what you're thinking. It's all in my head. And the only thing I can say about that is to read sentence two again...I already know that
Hey it's all about what YOU like in the end!
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #22685 of 24767 Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,116
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Nice! I am looking to do the same with T8's.



Side note for all tonight. Greatest moment we can have in building our systems. Obviously I own a "lesser" system than most here. I would make the top 5 of weakest systems. But after we got our big screen and PJ up we watched Need for Speed tonight and I caught myself 100% immersed in the movie. I was like, "Dang! I didn't think about work tomm, bills, things I need to do, etc." Just totally immersed. I even forgot what day it was briefly with too! Happy days my friends All of this even happened coming from a decent plasma with deep blacks, like no visible letter box blacks. And we certainly had bright ones with this budget PJ.



Will get better with returning the BenQ 1070 and replacing with a BenQ W7000.

I thought you went with an Epson 8350? You need up with a BenQ W7000?
jbrown15 is online now  
post #22686 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Yes, getting them. Listening to them poisoned my brain, sucking enjoyment out of anything else I listen to. And yes, yes, I know what you're thinking. It's all in my head. And the only thing I can say about that is to read sentence two again...I already know that
All perceived reality is in our heads, there is no reality besides what our brains process and tells us. Can be pretty scary for those with schizophrenia.

The M2's are incredible speakers from all the information that I can find on them. Many seem to think they are better than the Everest line. The M2's would be my speaker of choice if they were not soooooo expensive...but the cost is driven by the pursuit of in room perfection not marketing.
Reddig likes this.

Varibus Mari Victoria
NWCgrad is offline  
post #22687 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Today should be a good day. I am off work, wife is at work and kids at school. Going to go get a hair cut, run by my parents house to take them out to lunch then run home and watch Need for Speed and crank the system! Afterwards play some video games and maybe watch a blu ray concert. To top it off tomorrow college football really gets going and I get to watch my Buckeyes.
Frohlich is online now  
post #22688 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
-10000 I have really good experience with Emotiva so far. For $1200 I am going to have what I consider the best pre pro on the market for my needs. Plus I don't need some little toy receiver with built in T amps. HaHa
Lol...I think you guys are at -9000, so I'll add a +9000 to level match everything again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
The M2s will make you feel better....
Hopefully.



Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I replied to this post by Jeff asking if the same holds true for the 228's but he never responded. I am guessing it should be the same as the 228 has 129db peak capability. I just added a 9db boost at 100hz on a LS12 (I think) slope on my inuke3000 DSP's. I know adding this boost will cut into the power reserves of the inukes, but I have one inuke3000dsp bridged for each 228 so I am thinking I will be good up to reference.

Any thoughts?
What is a LS12 slope? Is that something intrinsic to the iNukes? I saw @Archaea mention doing something similar with his subs, but I'm not following? Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I honestly don't think it's in your head at all...more like your ears. Gotta trust them I'm sure they must be fantastic and I'm really curious to hear them since you're making such a big move.
I selfishly wish you could have done an A/B before selling off the 212s...would have been a good read...but not surprised by the fast sale.
Shame this didn't get to happen in your space @Gooddoc .

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Perhaps a future GTG for us east coasters might be in order to hear your new JBL, along with someone's 215 and 212
Oh, I forsee this happening before years end if I know @Gorilla83 ...lol

Effin Qatar....
asoofi1 likes this.
popalock is offline  
post #22689 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post


Oh, I forsee this happening before years end if I know @Gorilla83 ...lol

Effin Qatar....
I would NOT be against that.
RMK! likes this.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #22690 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
What is a LS12 slope? Is that something intrinsic to the iNukes? I saw @Archaea mention doing something similar with his subs, but I'm not following? Please explain
Here is a screenshot from the inuke manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	234593  

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
raynist is online now  
post #22691 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: La Ciotat, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I would NOT be against that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
along with someone's 215 and 212
I can do that
NWCgrad likes this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #22692 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 551
I prefer the L6 slope. I tweak all the time (hmmm that doesn't sound good haha) but here is what I am using at the moment:




However, the next album I went to that sounded a little "thick" so I switched to this. Notice I just changed the freq response knob.





Keep in mind, the controls on the left on the screen pics control both left and right speakers, I don't have to do the same to band 2 but I can if I want even more tweakability. I can do something like this where I boost the higher bass more with the left side and the lower bass with the right - remember, both eq's affect both left and right speakers. This is on the BP setting so now I have a Q knob to change the amount of frequencies affected.




Man I love the inuke dsp. It's complete control of the bass sound at an instant.



Before anyone says anything about my inputs being higher than the outputs (happens every time I post a inuke dsp screen shot), it doesn't matter. When I crank it up the output lights still come on before the inputs.
carp is online now  
post #22693 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: La Ciotat, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I prefer the L6 slope. I tweak all the time (hmmm that doesn't sound good haha) but here is what I am using at the moment:




However, the next album I went to that sounded a little "thick" so I switched to this. Notice I just changed the freq response knob.





Keep in mind, the controls on the left on the screen pics control both left and right speakers, I don't have to do the same to band 2 but I can if I want even more tweakability. I can do something like this where I boost the higher bass more with the left side and the lower bass with the right - remember, both eq's affect both left and right speakers. This is on the BP setting so now I have a Q knob to change the amount of frequencies affected.




Man I love the inuke dsp. It's complete control of the bass sound at an instant.



Before anyone says anything about my inputs being higher than the outputs (happens every time I post a inuke dsp screen shot), it doesn't matter. When I crank it up the output lights still come on before the inputs.
Do you use the PEQ?

I cannot wait to get inuke out next week and start tweaking.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #22694 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Do you use the PEQ?

I cannot wait to get inuke out next week and start tweaking.

I have played with the PEQ a lot, but it's just not as easy to make changes on the fly IMO. As you can see I'm not actually using the dynamic eq function where the bass gets quieter as the volume goes up since the theshold is at 0. I've been told that is a big no no but my amp volume is set on -8.5 and I have fully maxed out the inuke 3000 to clipping with no bad sounds or any issues so I'm not worried about it. Plus I haven't gone to those volume levels since I first hooked up the inuke.

Oh, I do have a peak at 60hz that I pull down with the PEQ but that's all I use it for.
carp is online now  
post #22695 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Member
 
wilfredent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Me three Oh, and a 4K projector. This stuff never ends. My biggest concern is the that the new Atmos AVRs and/or pre/pros won't have a chipset that can do HDCP 2.2 (except Onkyo but they made different compromises including dropping Audessey) so what do we do in a couple years when 4K blu ray comes out and forces us all upgrade again to something HDCP 2.2 compliant. It never ends!!!!!
LOL that's the beauty about it that's what keep Us in this hobby lol love it
wilfredent is offline  
post #22696 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,984
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post
Got my shipping notice for my 2 215RTs and 215RM! Coming tomorrow
That is cool and welcome to the very small club of 215RT owners. Getting them in time for the weekend?
Looking forward to your setup methodology and impressions.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is online now  
post #22697 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 3,731
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I have played with the PEQ a lot, but it's just not as easy to make changes on the fly IMO. As you can see I'm not actually using the dynamic eq function where the bass gets quieter as the volume goes up since the theshold is at 0. I've been told that is a big no no but my amp volume is set on -8.5 and I have fully maxed out the inuke 3000 to clipping with no bad sounds or any issues so I'm not worried about it. Plus I haven't gone to those volume levels since I first hooked up the inuke.

Oh, I do have a peak at 60hz that I pull down with the PEQ but that's all I use it for.
I forget, can you hook up the iNuke to your Network?
popalock is offline  
post #22698 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,777
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Man o' man. Boxing up my 212's. Didn't think it would be so emotional...

The Danley's were tough to let go also. Am I the only one to get emotionally attached to speakers?

What's up with that? I think I'm getting soft in my old age
Yes, I was pretty sad about those 60f's leaving too, knowing carp was already having fun with my sh50's helped quell the tears tho

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #22699 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I forget, can you hook up the iNuke to your Network?
I don't think so as there is only the USB connection but that would be a great idea!
raynist is online now  
post #22700 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I prefer the L6 slope. I tweak all the time (hmmm that doesn't sound good haha) but here is what I am using at the moment:




However, the next album I went to that sounded a little "thick" so I switched to this. Notice I just changed the freq response knob.





Keep in mind, the controls on the left on the screen pics control both left and right speakers, I don't have to do the same to band 2 but I can if I want even more tweakability. I can do something like this where I boost the higher bass more with the left side and the lower bass with the right - remember, both eq's affect both left and right speakers. This is on the BP setting so now I have a Q knob to change the amount of frequencies affected.




Man I love the inuke dsp. It's complete control of the bass sound at an instant.



Before anyone says anything about my inputs being higher than the outputs (happens every time I post a inuke dsp screen shot), it doesn't matter. When I crank it up the output lights still come on before the inputs.
I think I need to use a Dynamic EQ instead. With the new boost it sounds great up to about -10 and then I think I need to bring the boost down 3-4 dbs. I will have to check out the manual to see how that works.
raynist is online now  
post #22701 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
gskinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi
I am in the process of buying Triple 12LF LCRs and I was wondering whether I need to toe in these speakers or not. I currently have Canton Ergo 690 DC L/R and for those I have kept them without any toe in. I am trying to see for the JTRs what would be the ideal set up. Also, I have a 160" 2.37:1 wide AT screen and have the current speakers right at the edge of 16:9 image. Do I do the same with the 12LFs or I would need to keep them further wide. Any help in this is really appreciated.
Thanks
-Sen
gskinusa is online now  
post #22702 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I think I need to use a Dynamic EQ instead. With the new boost it sounds great up to about -10 and then I think I need to bring the boost down 3-4 dbs. I will have to check out the manual to see how that works.
To use the dynamic eq function all you need to do is use the "threshold" knob.




The lower the threshold number the lower the bass will be boosted as you increase the volume.
carp is online now  
post #22703 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,420
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I forget, can you hook up the iNuke to your Network?
The one think I don't like about the inuke connection is that you have to connect through usb which would be ok, but you have to close the inuke software program and restart it every time the inuke is turned off and back on. Also, if you are using 2 inukes (which I am since one of them controls the crowson) you have to disconnect one inuke and plug in the other if you want to mess with the dsp in the inuke that isn't currently on the software on the computer.

I've tried going through "devices" and what not on the computer to see if there is any way to have both inukes connected at the same time through usb and easily go back and forth between them to make eq changes but I haven't found a way to do it, I don't think there is one.
femi likes this.
carp is online now  
post #22704 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
Hi all! I’ll be putting in an order for 212HT LCRs next month and I’m still trying to figure out what to do about surrounds, I’d really appreciate if some of the experts in this thread could chime in.

First, a little bit about the HT: The 212s are for a carpeted room that measures approx. 20’ x 12’ with 10’ ceilings (around 3000 cu ft.) with one wall open to a hallway, stairs, and the rest of the upstairs area. The HT will be used for about 60% music (all kinds) and 40% movies. The plan is to get dual PSA XV30fse subs (since the room is narrow, I need subs that are more vertical) and eventually, room treatments.

Having read through a large chunk of this thread, I know the usual advice regarding surrounds is to go with Single/Slanted-8s. The main problem is that I’m putting most of my speaker budget into the LCRs, opting for the 212s over the 228s because the compression driver is supposed to be better for music (and while the Single-8 is an outstanding speaker by all accounts, it seems like it’d be a better match to the triple-8 or T-12’s). I’m trying to keep my surrounds budget at or under $500 per speaker. Here are some of the options I’m considering, along with Pros/Cons (please correct my assumptions if any are wrong):
  • Option A: JBL-Pro 8350 ($550)
  • Pros: Uses high-quality compression driver in horn config; super high sensitivity; high power handling; very closely matched to 212s
  • Cons: Huge size for a surround speaker (18” x 18”); pricey; pro-cinema speaker might not sound good in narrow 12’ room; not sure how JBL pros sound with music?
  • Option B: Klipsch RB-81 II ($400)
  • Pros: Smaller cabinet for more versatile placement; super high sensitivity; better WAF
  • Cons: Supposedly harsh highs?; musicality?; lower extension not really needed; not the best bang for the buck
  • Option C: Chane Theater Ten ($350)
  • Pros: Successor to the SHO-10; decent price
  • Cons: Unproven performance; controversy about it being a cheap Chinese PA speaker rebranded as a pro-cinema/audio speaker?
  • Option D: Hsu Research HB-1 MK2 ($200)
  • Pros: Best price; highest WAF; better for music?
  • Cons: Sensitivity 10 DBs lower than the 212s, might not be able to keep up?; too much of mismatch?
  • Option F???

So that’s where I’m at. I’m leaning most heavily towards option A or B. Can you advise on the best option (possibly one not mentioned here)? Maybe clear up any misconceptions? Thanks!
I saw your post while catching up on the thread....what speakers did you decide on?
I was going to recommend doing 228 for a great 5.x setup, since it's only a few hundred more than the S8. I've heard both 228 and 212...the 228 are great with music...especially considering your space. As everyone tends to realize, 'your ears will give up before they do.'

Here's the numbers (before any discounts):
5.1 = All 5 228HT = $6500
5.1 = LCR 228HT + 2 S8 = $5898
5.1 = LCR 212HT + 2 S8 = $8895

I think the $2400-$3000 you save by going with the 228 option will give you the best value and help in getting a pair of subs....like the Cap 2400. You can always add a pair of S8 for 7 channel setup later on as they do come up for sale...but you won't miss it when you have a solid 5 channel setup.

If music is a huge priority, another option is a pair of 210RT for LR and a 228 for center. I'm sure a pair of these will be great for 2-channel listening and not having to worry about needing any subs during music, and possibly even movies...depending on how much bass you want (you will want more as the itch grows stronger)

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008

Last edited by asoofi1; 08-29-2014 at 09:52 AM.
asoofi1 is online now  
post #22705 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,518
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
The one think I don't like about the inuke connection is that you have to connect through usb which would be ok, but you have to close the inuke software program and restart it every time the inuke is turned off and back on. Also, if you are using 2 inukes (which I am since one of them controls the crowson) you have to disconnect one inuke and plug in the other if you want to mess with the dsp in the inuke that isn't currently on the software on the computer.

I've tried going through "devices" and what not on the computer to see if there is any way to have both inukes connected at the same time through usb and easily go back and forth between them to make eq changes but I haven't found a way to do it, I don't think there is one.
This is definitely a work around but would likely work...you could setup a virtual machine using something like Virtual Box and then you might be able to have both running, one on each of your "machines". Then again, that might be more trouble than just switching the way you have been switching.
dgage is offline  
post #22706 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I thought you went with an Epson 8350? You need up with a BenQ W7000?
It's still not finalized (tonight hopefully!) But I was going through Archaeas's build thread and came across his Panny PJ review that had some not so good things to say about many problems with the 8350. Beast has a W7000 I am gonna pick up from him. He has a few good hrs on it so I know it works great. I wanted to go with the 8350 but after Archaea said him and Carp have had multiple problems it steered me away. Besides I can get the W7000 for a great price with glasses! I have never been a 3d guy but supposedly this one is top notch 3d so it may convert me It will do for awhile and I feel better about having a higher quality PJ.
jlpowell84 is online now  
post #22707 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Do we have any 210RT owners yet or anyone hear them that can share impressions?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
post #22708 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Do we have any 210RT owners yet or anyone hear them that can share impressions?
I'd also like to hear any reports of this model. I simply cannot fit 215s in my living room, and I feel 210's are a better fit for my room over 212's.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #22709 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Hopefully.



Shame this didn't get to happen in your space @Gooddoc .
I could have easily made it happen, I just didn't think it was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
I would NOT be against that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I can do that
Bring it!
Gooddoc is online now  
post #22710 of 24767 Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
asoofi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I could have easily made it happen, I just didn't think it was worth it.
Dyaaam! My curiosity is piqued ever so more.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
asoofi1 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off