Forum Jump: 

post #22711 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I could have easily made it happen, I just didn't think it was worth it.
Dyaaam! My curiosity is piqued ever so more.

me stuff: LCR JTR 212HT, Surrounds Quad JTR 8LP & Quad Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c, Subs Dual JTR Orbit Shifter LFU, AV Marantz SR7008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22712 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Do we have any 210RT owners yet or anyone hear them that can share impressions?
Jeff showed pictures on Facebook awhile back of someone taking delivery of 210's, but who that was is a mystery
post #22713 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Dyaaam! My curiosity is piqued ever so more.
Ya, it's called "Master" for a reason.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #22714 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:

Bring it!
Lets set a date. We bring equipment to you and set up a blind test for you? You feeling lucky?
Gooddoc, RMK!, popalock and 1 others like this.
post #22715 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post
Hi
I am in the process of buying Triple 12LF LCRs and I was wondering whether I need to toe in these speakers or not. I currently have Canton Ergo 690 DC L/R and for those I have kept them without any toe in. I am trying to see for the JTRs what would be the ideal set up. Also, I have a 160" 2.37:1 wide AT screen and have the current speakers right at the edge of 16:9 image. Do I do the same with the 12LFs or I would need to keep them further wide. Any help in this is really appreciated.
Thanks
-Sen
Hi Sen, that sounds like plenty of separation for the T12's and as far as toe in goes, I ran my T12's both ways and didn't notice much difference. With the coaxial compression driver they have a wide dispersion pattern and so toe in isn't necessary although it may be preferred.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #22716 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
I'd also like to hear any reports of this model. I simply cannot fit 215s in my living room, and I feel 210's are a better fit for my room over 212's.
Don't forget about the 215RM as I really like that speaker too.
post #22717 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Hi Sen, that sounds like plenty of separation for the T12's and as far as toe in goes, I ran my T12's both ways and didn't notice much difference. With the coaxial compression driver they have a wide dispersion pattern and so toe in isn't necessary although it may be preferred.
Sounds like you have a real nice setup Sen, I haven't heard the T12 so can't speak to that but I concur with RMK! in terms of those coaxials having a wide dispersion, which means (especially if you don't toe-in) that you will likely need a well treated room to tame reflections. Just something to think about but based on your equipment you might already have this covered.
post #22718 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I saw your post while catching up on the thread....what speakers did you decide on?
I was going to recommend doing 228 for a great 5.x setup, since it's only a few hundred more than the S8. I've heard both 228 and 212...the 228 are great with music...especially considering your space. As everyone tends to realize, 'your ears will give up before they do.'

Here's the numbers (before any discounts):
5.1 = All 5 228HT = $6500
5.1 = LCR 228HT + 2 S8 = $5898
5.1 = LCR 212HT + 2 S8 = $8895

I think the $2400-$3000 you save by going with the 228 option will give you the best value and help in getting a pair of subs....like the Cap 2400. You can always add a pair of S8 for 7 channel setup later on as they do come up for sale...but you won't miss it when you have a solid 5 channel setup.

If music is a huge priority, another option is a pair of 210RT for LR and a 228 for center. I'm sure a pair of these will be great for 2-channel listening and not having to worry about needing any subs during music, and possibly even movies...depending on how much bass you want (you will want more as the itch grows stronger)
I'm leaning towards Reaction Audio CX-10s/8s for surrounds. Still haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

I've been seriously considering the 210RT, especially since my room isn't huge and they'd be great for two channel music. I emailed Jeff about using the 228 as a center and he replied, "I'm actually about to introduce a Noesis 210RM (reference monitor) that has the horn in the center and is a perfect match for the Noesis 210RT." So I guess we'll wait and see.
post #22719 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thank you for your response. So based on that I am interpreting that it should be ok to place the speakers where the current speakers are. I guess I will test the toe in and out to see what works. I did the calculation based on the JTR's dispersion angle of 70 degrees and as my first row is 11 ft from the speakers and the 2nd row is 17 ft, it came out that a slight toe in of 1.4 in would help to cover both the rows. Anyway calculations are one thing and the room reaction is another so I will test it and see. Thank you for your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Sounds like you have a real nice setup Sen, I haven't heard the T12 so can't speak to that but I concur with RMK! in terms of those coaxials having a wide dispersion, which means (especially if you don't toe-in) that you will likely need a well treated room to tame reflections. Just something to think about but based on your equipment you might already have this covered.
Thank you. I do have all the walls treated including the walls behind the speakers/screen. So it sounds like I should be ok but I will run it as suggested both with toe in and without and see which one works. The pain is that the screen is wall to wall so without someones help I cannot do it on my own . So need to get some help while doing it so can't work on it tonight.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I will report back if I have any problems.

BTW, I notice that the speaker terminals are little different. Can some one tell me to which posts I need to connect the - and + wires. Thanks again for the help.

-Sen
post #22720 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
I have the T8's toed in quite a bit. I felt it was a significant difference compared to not much toe in. But it's all subjective
post #22721 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Wonder how the JTR slanted 8 would work as atmos speakers that sit on top of the mains and are angled to fire up and into the room?
post #22722 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I prefer the L6 slope. I tweak all the time (hmmm that doesn't sound good haha) but here is what I am using at the moment:

However, the next album I went to that sounded a little "thick" so I switched to this. Notice I just changed the freq response knob.

Keep in mind, the controls on the left on the screen pics control both left and right speakers, I don't have to do the same to band 2 but I can if I want even more tweakability. I can do something like this where I boost the higher bass more with the left side and the lower bass with the right - remember, both eq's affect both left and right speakers. This is on the BP setting so now I have a Q knob to change the amount of frequencies affected.

Man I love the inuke dsp. It's complete control of the bass sound at an instant.

Before anyone says anything about my inputs being higher than the outputs (happens every time I post a inuke dsp screen shot), it doesn't matter. When I crank it up the output lights still come on before the inputs.

Is there a trick to getting a nice round number for the peq? I tried typing in a number but it doesn't work.

Also not sure what attack and release are. I am guessing the ratio changes the boost applied as volume goes up?

Last edited by raynist; Yesterday at 08:21 PM.
post #22723 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Nice! I am looking to do the same with T8's.

Side note for all tonight. Greatest moment we can have in building our systems. Obviously I own a "lesser" system than most here. I would make the top 5 of weakest systems. But after we got our big screen and PJ up we watched Need for Speed tonight and I caught myself 100% immersed in the movie. I was like, "Dang! I didn't think about work tomm, bills, things I need to do, etc." Just totally immersed. I even forgot what day it was briefly with too! Happy days my friends All of this even happened coming from a decent plasma with deep blacks, like no visible letter box blacks. And we certainly had bright ones with this budget PJ.

Will get better with returning the BenQ 1070 and replacing with a BenQ W7000.
you are being humble though. At this level the room tuning means so much and I know you are in to that stuff. What might look slightly lesser from an equipment perspective could be way more with good room tuning. Glad you are enjoying to that level. That's what this is all about!
post #22724 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Lets set a date. We bring equipment to you and set up a blind test for you? You feeling lucky?
Haha! I'm not really a lucky guy . I'm all for a blind test though, that's for sure!

Remember though, speakers ain't amps

Now I really do want to continue ribbing everyone about the M2's , but I have to wait to get them in my room before I really get going , just in case they don't impress in my room like the demos did. I want to limit any potential backtracking, lol.

What I've heard so far is epic though. The clarity and realism is simply in another class from anything I have personally heard. Lots I haven't heard though, so take that with a grain of salt. And I've yet to hear them in my own room, so toss some more salt over your shoulder.

And that is the real kicker right there. Will they translate to my room? I took the leap because they are probably one of the few speakers out there that are designed to be custom tuned to most any room environment and I have yet to put a speaker in my room that didn't sound "reasonably" close to what I heard in other rooms. So I'm hopeful.
RMK! likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #22725 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
lol, it's all good, I know quite a few that have had good experiences as well. I think as far as processors go, I had the UMC-1 when it hit, it was sent back and forth 3 times, never was fixed, I lost out on shipping 3 times to them, almost 300$. My xpa-5 lost a channel, had a local service place fix it (that was actually pretty painless, emo paid for everything) My XPA-2 had the front panel go out and my airmotiv 6's had an amp go out, it never got changed, it went into the garbage. I never did like them lol.
So I've not had the best experience lol. I couldn't say how good or not the XMC-1 is, it's lacking hdmi 2.0 and thats enough of a no-go for me but thats not to say its the same for everyone as I plan on getting 4K everything pretty soon and would need it.
I totally get it. I posted about a new piece and wham my JTR brothers starting killing it! Lol. I have heard many have had bad experience with Emo. I hear even worse horror with Onkyo. I mean oink flap. All good bros just wish
me luck!
post #22726 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I hope it's bug free and everything works! They've had 6 years......

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #22727 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

dgage likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #22728 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
I totally get it. I posted about a new piece and wham my JTR brothers starting killing it! Lol. I have heard many have had bad experience with Emo. I hear even worse horror with Onkyo. I mean oink flap. All good bros just wish
me luck!
I wish you luck but wish we didn't have to think about needing luck when buying expensive equipment....doesn't seem right to me. But if it works out, it will be a really nice piece of gear...and I truly hope you enjoy it.
post #22729 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Haha! I'm not really a lucky guy . I'm all for a blind test though, that's for sure!

Remember though, speakers ain't amps

Now I really do want to continue ribbing everyone about the M2's , but I have to wait to get them in my room before I really get going , just in case they don't impress in my room like the demos did. I want to limit any potential backtracking, lol.
Whoa whoa whoa, went from supreme confidence to "just in case they don't impress in my room." Ha, we will limit your potential backtracking to this.....v
Quote:
Quote:
I could have easily made it happen, I just didn't think it was worth it.
Quote:
Ya, it's called "Master" for a reason.
Quote:
What I've heard so far is epic though. The clarity and realism is simply in another class from anything I have personally heard. Lots I haven't heard though, so take that with a grain of salt. And I've yet to hear them in my own room, so toss some more salt over your shoulder.

And that is the real kicker right there. Will they translate to my room? I took the leap because they are probably one of the few speakers out there that are designed to be custom tuned to most any room environment and I have yet to put a speaker in my room that didn't sound "reasonably" close to what I heard in other rooms. So I'm hopeful.
Blind test is going to be a cool experience regardless. I actually think it's a great idea to blind test in your room vs. Andrews. We all remember what happened last time Andrew hosted a blind test... *Cough*Danley's*Cough*Cough*

post #22730 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, went from supreme confidence to "just in case they don't impress in my room." Ha, we will limit your potential backtracking to this.....v
Hehe, yes. I have more to answer for in PM's though

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Blind test is going to be a cool experience regardless. I actually think it's a great idea to blind test in your room vs. Andrews. We all remember what happened last time Andrew hosted a blind test... *Cough*Danley's*Cough*Cough*
Yep, liked the Danley's more than my beloved 212's! And that never changed when I got them in my own room .

But yes, a confirmation or denial of my impressions once they're in my room will be very cool. No better way than a blind test. But going to be very difficult in my room since I don't have a screen to hide them. I guess actual blindfolds will be on the menu.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #22731 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
you are being humble though. At this level the room tuning means so much and I know you are in to that stuff. What might look slightly lesser from an equipment perspective could be way more with good room tuning. Glad you are enjoying to that level. That's what this is all about!
Yes the tune is really what anything is about. Heck you can have a engine block built, bored out, forged rods, pistons, the whole works. Big ol turbo, everything. But it can't reach any of it's potential without a dyne computer tune. Same with all the audio components working together. I am interested in the nanoavr, inuke for it's power and dsp capabilities. I am going to try and get back into REW soon. It has been almost 3.5 months since I got super frustrated and had to put it aside. I don't even know what FR response I have been listening to lol! Basically REW on my Mac Mini HT computer was acting very weird. I uninstalled and then could not get REW's SPL meter calibrated!!! Basically I would plug my mic in (CSL UMM-6 USB mic) and enter the spl calibration you do shortly after you install REW when you are in the setup process before you can get measuring. I could not get it working. Basically with the LFE pink noise it was reading like 72db at reference!!! REW asks you to take it -15MV. My noise floor would end up being 80db on REW's SPL meter when it really is about 38-41db I am hoping some OSX software update fixed something. I even got a topic on HTS with the REW creator responding and he even asked for graphs. But I never heard anything after that. I sure hope it will work fine.

More about the "tune" this is soooo important IMO and overlooked lots and often creates peoples opinions about speakers. My ceiling treatment that spans 96 inches catches LCR 1st point reflections. It REALLY cleaned them up quite a bit. Of course I don't have the CD/horn but CD/coaxial. So it is even more important then. Once I put a thin, reflective type, garage utility rug on the floor in front of the couch. I kept it there for a week and then removed it. It was like I had a different speaker lol! I have often thought that each surround speaker should have it's own ceiling treatment for reflections. Not sure how much of a difference it would make as I have not experienced it. But I know some of you have in finely tuned theaters. Anyway...I am thinking a nano AVR, inuke, and my open DRC would give me all I need lol. Lots of options there!
post #22732 of 22740 Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Wonder how the JTR slanted 8 would work as atmos speakers that sit on top of the mains and are angled to fire up and into the room?
Cool thought. I have some cheap little Definitive Technology speakers I have at heights and wides. With the PJ screen being mounted where my TV was, on the vertical neck the the TV stand, it sits away from the wall slightly a ft. And interrupts my heights path. So I am going to angle up and see how they do. They sit about 8 inches below the ceiling currently...
post #22733 of 22740 Old Today, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm gonna need a bigger amp! Jeff was not kidding when he said he had a captivator in each 215RT. These these things are amazing. I have a lot more set up, but the bass output is incredible. I don't think I will need a sub with these speakers. More setup and measuring today. I need to learn to use the DSP on my crown xti 2002 amp to get the frequency response a little more to my taste. Without a sub I don't have the option to turn up just the sub output. I'll try and get some pics up today. I built a custom shelf into the fireplace for the 215RM.
post #22734 of 22740 Old Today, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 61
For those of us who can't be there to hear the blind tests, it would be very interesting to see measurement comparisons in addition to qualitative comparisons.
post #22735 of 22740 Old Today, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post
I'm gonna need a bigger amp! Jeff was not kidding when he said he had a captivator in each 215RT. These these things are amazing. I have a lot more set up, but the bass output is incredible. I don't think I will need a sub with these speakers. More setup and measuring today. I need to learn to use the DSP on my crown xti 2002 amp to get the frequency response a little more to my taste. Without a sub I don't have the option to turn up just the sub output. I'll try and get some pics up today. I built a custom shelf into the fireplace for the 215RM.

Awesome, glad you like them! I still cannot get enough of mine.
post #22736 of 22740 Old Today, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

If some of you guys haven't seen the thread from thebland where Mark comes over and dials in 6 submersives you should check it out. Real good stuff from Mark about dialing everything in.

SIX (6) Seaton Submersive install and exceptional service from Mark Seaton
post #22737 of 22740 Old Today, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Is there a trick to getting a nice round number for the peq? I tried typing in a number but it doesn't work.

Also not sure what attack and release are. I am guessing the ratio changes the boost applied as volume goes up?

When you type in a number click enter on the keyboard and the new number will "stick". Is that what you mean?

As far as attack and release goes I'm not real clear on what they do but some of the guys told me to set them like they are.
post #22738 of 22740 Old Today, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
When you type in a number click enter on the keyboard and the new number will "stick". Is that what you mean?

As far as attack and release goes I'm not real clear on what they do but some of the guys told me to set them like they are.
Yeah, that is what I mean. I would type in a freq and then tab off and it would change it back. Will try using enter this time. Was able to set them all to 120.5 but that .5 was really bothering me 😄
post #22739 of 22740 Old Today, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Yeah, that is what I mean. I would type in a freq and then tab off and it would change it back. Will try using enter this time. Was able to set them all to 120.5 but that .5 was really bothering me 😄
Gotcha, yeah it should work. Sometimes I screw it up because I'm also used to the minidsp and on it if you change a number and then click somewhere else the changes sticks but it won't on the inuke without pressing enter.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page