Official JTR speaker thread - Page 760 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #22771 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I had a local guy offer me his fairly new 212's's for 1000$ for both today but needed the money within an hour, I had my kid and bank is closed, can't take that much out of an ATM etc (guy is old and doesn't have any electronic banking at all) blah! I phoned a friend and he went and picked them up for his HT, damn they were in perfect shape too!

As much as I wish I could have jumped on that, I did just spend almost 3K to upgrade me gaiming PC will all the best new x99 stuff yesterday, I think another 1K would have had the wife start a internal investigation LOL

What a crazy deal though! And if Jay is reading this, you're welcome you luck SOB hahahah!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22772 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I had a local guy offer me his fairly new 212's's for 1000$ for both today but needed the money within an hour, I had my kid and bank is closed, can't take that much out of an ATM etc (guy is old and doesn't have any electronic banking at all) blah! I phoned a friend and he went and picked them up for his HT, damn they were in perfect shape too!

As much as I wish I could have jumped on that, I did just spend almost 3K to upgrade me gaiming PC will all the best new x99 stuff yesterday, I think another 1K would have had the wife start a internal investigation LOL

What a crazy deal though! And if Jay is reading this, you're welcome you luck SOB hahahah!

Are you friggin kidding me!....Nate I'm gonna have nightmares over reading that!
post #22773 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 83
@carp how was the Nebraska game yesterday on the 215's?

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #22774 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Changing the subject here as I often do. I got a hell of a deal on a tv today. I'd been looking for something to replace our 42 inch lcd upstairs and it looked like to get a good non smart led lcd you had to spend around 700 for a 55 inch.

Well, I recently found a deal on slick deals for 499 for a 55 inch lg lcd 2013 model at microcenter. It was one of those things were microcenter doesn't advertise that price but if you click on email me the price the email shows 499. So I called microcenter today and of course they sold out in less than a week after offering 499.

I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and they didn't have the 2013 model anymore so no go. I then went to walmart and sure enough they still had the 2013 model but for 599 instead of 499. I asked a worker if they could price match and he said only if it's a printed add from another local store.

So, I went up to the electronics counter and figured I'd ask there too. I asked and the girl said the same thing about how it has to be a printed add but she sounded unsure of her self. I told her I had the email from microcenter that showed the price and while I was showing it to her on my phone a lady in line behind me came over and quickly and confidently said, "oh yeah, I've done that all the time walmart always matches those emails". The young girl was already flustered and quickly said, "ok, yes we can match that". The lady in line gave me a big wink. The worker called a manager over to authorize the sale. I figured he would call bs but he looked all jaded and uncaring and quickly typed in what needed to be done and left.

So, I got the 2014 tv for 499. The kicker is when I got home I realized that it wasn't the 2013 model that was on display in the store and the one that microcenter put on clearance for 499, instead it was the new 2014 model (the girl had to go the back to get the tv there weren't any boxes left by the displays).

I just checked online and the cheapest I can find the 2014 model is 679 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics.../dp/B00KVLT08G

I feel a bit guilty since it wasn't legit but oh well. The tv looks awesome, the picture quality destroys the LG 42" we had before. That one will be going on our screened in porch.
Nice! We are thinking of putting our 50" Panasonic ST model plasma in the bedroom. I like the tall stands that have wheels so I can just roll it from the wall by the footboard up to the footboard. Kick back on a day off or late night movie time. But I have also thought about selling it. Plasmas are not being made anymore so I really don't want to. The picture quality is amazing with a 5.5 million to 1 contrast ratio and the blacks are so deep you can't hardly see letterbox bars unless you look hard. If we got rid of it the Ben Q W7000's picture would "seem" better as time goes on. But keeping and watching a bedroom movie every now and then would remind me about the contrast and black level differences. Perhaps I should sell it and get an edge lit lcd so it would make the PJ seem not so bad when it comes to black levels. But it is probably an honest 450 to 500 resale value. I haven't looked...but the prices of the new ones left have skyrocketed with plasmas not being made anymore. Best picture made so far for sure. anyway it's a dilemma

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22775 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG I am feeling like a high school girl that can't go to her senior prom!!! sigh...sigh...sigh!!!!!!! :roll eyes:

My Setup Thread

post #22776 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Nice! We are thinking of putting our 50" Panasonic ST model plasma in the bedroom. I like the tall stands that have wheels so I can just roll it from the wall by the footboard up to the footboard. Kick back on a day off or late night movie time. But I have also thought about selling it. Plasmas are not being made anymore so I really don't want to. The picture quality is amazing with a 5.5 million to 1 contrast ratio and the blacks are so deep you can't hardly see letterbox bars unless you look hard. If we got rid of it the Ben Q W7000's picture would "seem" better as time goes on. But keeping and watching a bedroom movie every now and then would remind me about the contrast and black level differences. Perhaps I should sell it and get an edge lit lcd so it would make the PJ seem not so bad when it comes to black levels. But it is probably an honest 450 to 500 resale value. I haven't looked...but the prices of the new ones left have skyrocketed with plasmas not being made anymore. Best picture made so far for sure. anyway it's a dilemma
Yeah the blacks on plasmas are great but the reflections in well lit rooms seems to be a lot worse so it's all trade-offs.

post #22777 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I'm sad to say I'm not a very good fan these days I didn't see the game. Honestly I lost some interest when we joined the big 10.

post #22778 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsow View Post
Yea, it's not on the site yet. Essentially it's a chopped down 215RT. Big differences are it's sealed, and is not full range. Measurements show it goes down to 40 no problems. So far it proves to be very good for center channel duty.
I really like the 215RM and Coach was running his full range. I don't have a big room and I have a strong sub system so the 215RM is my favorite JTR speaker. If you had a bigger room, not as many subs, and listen to lots of music, then the 215RT would likely be the preferred speaker of the two.
post #22779 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

Dang! Thousand bucks for a pair of 212's? And he needed the money right away? Somebody had some kind of gambling debt or something! Lol..
post #22780 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I'm sad to say I'm not a very good fan these days I didn't see the game. Honestly I lost some interest when we joined the big 10.
Wow, I would think you would have liked that move. We are a big Penn State family. My Father in law has been a season ticket holder for over 35 years. We get up to a game or two a year. Off to a good start.
post #22781 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Dang! Thousand bucks for a pair of 212's? And he needed the money right away? Somebody had some kind of gambling debt or something! Lol..
I actually setup his room when he got them, built him a few UXL subs for his room as well, did the treatments and calibration. He had a nice place, he didn't sound panicky when he phoned lol.
I'm gonna text him tomorrow because he's got 2 sets of S8's as well! Ya never know!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #22782 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I really like the 215RM and Coach was running his full range. I don't have a big room and I have a strong sub system so the 215RM is my favorite JTR speaker. If you had a bigger room, not as many subs, and listen to lots of music, then the 215RT would likely be the preferred speaker of the two.
Am I reading this right? Seems redundant? Did you mean to say the 212HT is your favorite JTR speaker?

post #22783 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I actually setup his room when he got them, built him a few UXL subs for his room as well, did the treatments and calibration. He had a nice place, he didn't sound panicky when he phoned lol.
I'm gonna text him tomorrow because he's got 2 sets of S8's as well! Ya never know!!
If he let go the 212's for a "g". Then maybe a Frankie for the pair of S8. Then I'll definately throw up.. Lol.. And N8, lmk if you decide to pass on those S8 if he really does sell them. They could be a Atmos potential for me. Lol..
post #22784 of 23323 Old 08-31-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah the blacks on plasmas are great but the reflections in well lit rooms seems to be a lot worse so it's all trade-offs.
Yes, great point! Everything is all about the room!

My Setup Thread

post #22785 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
dgage.. Am I reading this right coming from you? About having a bigger room, not as many subs? Wow! What's up bro? Getting soft on us now? This is what you would normally say... If you had a bigger room, with lots of subs (DIY subs preferred), and listen to lots of music. But still need more boom? Then 215RT would likely be the preferred speaker of the two.. There, that's the dgage we know around here.. Lol.. You want me to write what N8 would say? Easy! N8- " Aw sh!t! Not enough bass yet!! " lol
dgage likes this.
post #22786 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Wow, I would think you would have liked that move. We are a big Penn State family. My Father in law has been a season ticket holder for over 35 years. We get up to a game or two a year. Off to a good start.
The biggest issue for me is that when I was at Nebraska we won the national championship 3 times!! Talk about getting spoiled. I'm from KC and wasn't a Husker fan growing up (ha, in fact I was going for Miami in 84 - good lord what was wrong with me!! I'll give myself a break on that one since I was 11 years old). Anyway, a bunch of schools offered me a track scholarship and Nebraska impressed me the most on my visit.

So, I became a big fan while I was up there since we were so good (I still say the 95 team is the best college team I have ever seen, we destroyed Florida in the championship and Florida still ended up #2 in all the polls) and like I said I got completely spoiled as a fan.

After graduating I started to lose interest because Osborn retired and we weren't nearly as good. I also lost interest in college football in general with them not figuring out a playoff system and the last straw was all this conference re-alignment. I have lived in KC my whole life so I loved that Neb played KU, K-State, MU, etc. I have much less interest in watching them play a big 10 team. Hell, I wish it was still the Big 8 I didn't like the switch to the Big 12 either.

Now days the NFL is all I'm into 100%. I'm a casual fan at best of everything else.

post #22787 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
The biggest issue for me is that when I was at Nebraska we won the national championship 3 times!! Talk about getting spoiled. I'm from KC and wasn't a Husker fan growing up (ha, in fact I was going for Miami in 84 - good lord what was wrong with me!! I'll give myself a break on that one since I was 11 years old). Anyway, a bunch of schools offered me a track scholarship and Nebraska impressed me the most on my visit.

So, I became a big fan while I was up there since we were so good (I still say the 95 team is the best college team I have ever seen, we destroyed Florida in the championship and Florida still ended up #2 in all the polls) and like I said I got completely spoiled as a fan.

After graduating I started to lose interest because Osborn retired and we weren't nearly as good. I also lost interest in college football in general with them not figuring out a playoff system and the last straw was all this conference re-alignment. I have lived in KC my whole life so I loved that Neb played KU, K-State, MU, etc. I have much less interest in watching them play a big 10 team. Hell, I wish it was still the Big 8 I didn't like the switch to the Big 12 either.

Now days the NFL is all I'm into 100%. I'm a casual fan at best of everything else.
I.thought after I posted that the Kansas teams were probably one of the reasons. Allot of Penn State alum in my family and the passion still runs deep. They all got up at 8:30am on Sat for the Ireland game. I like don't really care much anymore myself I will take the NFL any day.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #22788 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I will take the NFL any day.
x1000!
Yes Sir and it is finally regular season!
Gorilla83 likes this.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #22789 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
x1000!
+2 - NFL is tops for me and only a couple days away. Gonna love it even more with with Sunday Ticket!

post #22790 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Funny how we all have different preferences. I could and do watch college football all day. NFL does nothing for me.
dgage and jlpowell84 like this.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #22791 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hey college football has a 4 team playoff with teams selected by a special committee. What could go wrong with that?

Its the dumbest system ever and makes the BCS seem good. The political BS dominated college football.

As a Big 8 fan I still miss Nebraska and Colorado (well mostly Nebraska). It seems bizarre that West Virginia is now in the conference. Growing up my Kansas State team was the worst in the history of NCAA football. The Oklahoma-Nebraska game was always the game to watch. Sad to see that rivalry die in the pursuit of ever more money. College sports has lost all the spirit of amateur athletics.

So, go Chiefs!

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #22792 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
+2 - NFL is tops for me and only a couple days away. Gonna love it even more with with Sunday Ticket!

I love NFL Sunday Ticket! DirecTV was really smart to give it to me when I first got their service. I have bought it every year since then and this is my 7th year.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #22793 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Am I reading this right? Seems redundant? Did you mean to say the 212HT is your favorite JTR speaker?
I haven't heard the 212HT and I'm not exactly enamored with the midbass (or lack thereof) on my 212HT-LP. So that leaves the 215RM as my favorite JTR speaker. However, that isn't my perfect speaker...for that we'd have to get closer to the size of a 212, the upper end of a 212, and the midbass of the 215RM.
post #22794 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
dgage.. Am I reading this right coming from you? About having a bigger room, not as many subs? Wow! What's up bro? Getting soft on us now? This is what you would normally say... If you had a bigger room, with lots of subs (DIY subs preferred), and listen to lots of music. But still need more boom? Then 215RT would likely be the preferred speaker of the two.. There, that's the dgage we know around here.. Lol.. You want me to write what N8 would say? Easy! N8- " Aw sh!t! Not enough bass yet!! " lol
I wasn't sure what to say actually. To me the 215RT is just too big and since I don't listen to much 2-channel, I don't have much use for it even if I did have the room...and I guess that is what it really comes down to. If you listen to a lot of 2-channel music, the 215RT is likely the best choice as you can run without subs, thereby simplifying the setup. If you have tons of room, the 215RT is a great choice. For all other situations, I like the 215RM better...but like I said, I still like the upper end sound of the 212 better than the laid back sound of the 215...as Fatsow put it...but that can be addressed some with EQ.
post #22795 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Funny how we all have different preferences. I could and do watch college football all day. NFL does nothing for me.
Me too. I might put NFL on in the background but I rarely find myself watching it.

But I was enjoying last night though...my young Univ. of Tennessee football team did much better than I expected. Fun night and so glad College Football is finally here.
Frohlich likes this.
post #22796 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
x1000!
+2. Go birds! Should be an interesting season.
Pain Infliction likes this.

post #22797 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
I wasn't sure what to say actually. To me the 215RT is just too big and since I don't listen to much 2-channel, I don't have much use for it even if I did have the room...and I guess that is what it really comes down to. If you listen to a lot of 2-channel music, the 215RT is likely the best choice as you can run without subs, thereby simplifying the setup. If you have tons of room, the 215RT is a great choice. For all other situations, I like the 215RM better...but like I said, I still like the upper end sound of the 212 better than the laid back sound of the 215...as Fatsow put it...but that can be addressed some with EQ.
Quote:
Me too. I might put NFL on in the background but I rarely find myself watching it.

But I was enjoying last night though...my young Univ. of Tennessee football team did much better than I expected. Fun night and so glad College Football is finally here.
I think you and I have similar tastes in football and HT. The 215rt just probably isn't for me. The 215rm does interest me. I am also not a 2 channel guy and the size of the 215rm is much more appealing to me. I wish the JTR site had more info on it.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #22798 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I think you and I have similar tastes in football and HT. The 215rt just probably isn't for me. The 215rm does interest me. I am also not a 2 channel guy and the size of the 215rm is much more appealing to me. I wish the JTR site had more info on it.
What do you need to know about the 215RM?

17" wide
18" deep
48" long
Same horn as 215
Same 15" drivers as 215RT except in a sealed enclosure
Strong output below 40/50Hz...Coach's calibrator just set it to full range.

A very nice speaker...compared to the 215RT, it may be small but the 215RM is not a small speaker.
post #22799 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Wow! Lucky SOB is right! Come on Reef.... same deal for your 212HT's and I'll throw in 2 S8-HT's... I can be there in 20 minutes. LOL
post #22800 of 23323 Old 09-01-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Man, impressions are tough this early. Last speakers were 212HTs and dual orbit shifters, and like most here I have had a good amount of speakers through my living room: Infinity, Triad, JBL, Quintuple 8's, Yorkville Unity and a couple others. I also am using Audyssey on my Onkyo 5508, so that is another variable. Although the measurements on the Omnimic say I have the responses very similar at this point.
I've never been able to use my own measurements to characterize the overall sound of a speaker. They're useful for other things, just not that.

Quote:
I also am using the dsp on my crown xti 2002 for the first time. And if that isn't enough I installed GIK acoustic 242 ceiling panels, as you can see in the pic. I did listen to the 212HTs with the panels, however I did not rerun audyssey after installing them. I believe I'm at the point/speaker level where room, setup, and EQ to my preference will make the most difference.
The amount of dedicated room treatments above schroeder, even the necessity of them at all, is dependent on the speaker in the room. With certain speaker designs dedicated treatments above schroeder may not be necessary at all.

I'm installing bass traps, but I'm not installing any other room treatments initially with the M2's. Much of what Ive read suggests treatments above schroeder may not be necessary. I can add minimal panels if necessary.

Quote:
I think the 215s are quite different. Slightly less clinical and warmer would be my initial opinion. Maybe that is ever so slightly more laid back? Now the bass is quite different as well. This could be due to using the dsp to raise bass levels as opposed to raising subwoofer output. This allowed me to raise mid bass as well without the crossover to the sub being the limiter. The mid bass is better, but again maybe due to the dsp work. The interesting thing is the imaging is improved as well. This could be a result of the ceiling panels.
Your impressions correlate with most all impressions I've read of the 215's. I hope you enjoy them!

Quote:
So, not sure any of this was helpful to someone trying to decide between the two. I am very interested in your opinion of the M2s after you have had some time with them. I almost went that direction myself. After all two 212s and two orbit shifters is the same price as the M2s without amps. Although I would probably buy them with the amps.
There's no getting around the fact that the M2 is a far more expensive speaker. It is possible to save a few dollars if you already have amps at an LG or other high end level with high output. But by the time you add the external processor and what amounts to a bit more complexity, it's easier to just get the crown amps they were designed with. At least that is the conclusion I came to after discussing it at length with JBL. Besides, those amps have some nice features built in.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page