Official JTR speaker thread - Page 761 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8118Likes

post #22801 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I'm finally getting my Bose system delivered tomorrow. I'll post up pics if you guys want. Maybe make a vid if you guys want. Just let me know.
Post pictures and a graph if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22802 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Hey @RMK! Per your previous comment, wanted to show you full room response. You were relatively correct with your assumption I can't get dead flat across all seats, but I feel like this is pretty good between a single centered front seat (Blue), a front right seat next to the right wall (Black) and two rear seats relatively centered.... Poke some holes if you want, but I like what I see. I get a little extra dB for being in the dead middle and I actually like it that way, as the other usual suspects can't take as much.

That looks good Brandon. You should be and are justifiably proud ... was that L&R speakers or?

In any case, Tom Danley does wonders with his Synergy Horn designs. I visited forum member zacjones's HT yesterday. Unlike us Beast, Zac has a life and doesn't post much but he does need to update his HT Build Thread with pics and info. He and a friend came to my HT first and then we caravaned over to his place after an hour of listening to my system. He had heard my Triple 12/OS based setup and I had heard his Danley SM60F's and (SM LPM?) surrounds when he first got them a couple of years ago. He had some large DIY 18" subs and I thought his initial setup sounded good.

Since then, Zac has finished the room off with extensive treatments, the L&R Danley's built into columns and the SM60F center is on a custom pole stand. He has 2 powered screens (16:9 and 2:35 formats) and a JVC RS 45 (with a very cool power lift that drops out of the ceiling) that was Jeff Meier calibrated (Jeff did an audio calibration as well).

The HT is on the second story of his home (over the garage) and is a repurposed space that is wide and relatively shallow but open to a very large common area of the 2nd story. There are large openings in the back wall as well as a large open entrance to the HT space. For aesthetic reasons, Zac decided to leave the space open and deal with any acoustic consequences as best he could. He also built a (8) IXL18.4 IB subwoofer system that is under floor mounted and there are two large (I'd guess 36"X36") custom grills on the floor for the IB. They are approximately in line with the mains half way between the speakers and the seating.

OK, now I had always considered an IB sub system and have a nice space that would allow me to do this but out of laziness (too busy posting here ) I didn't do it. Zac's IB setup is the best HT LFE setup I have ever heard. We listened to several movie demos (LOTR, FOTP, WOTW, Art O Flight) several of which we had just listened to in my HT and his setup blew me away ... literally with silly grin and all. The bass was so perfectly integrated with the Danley's and extended so deep that it was just one seamless sound system with incredible power and depth. It may be the best HT sound system I have ever heard and his video wasn't far behind. He used REW on his HTPC to measure but I did not see any measurements nor did I ask what he used for EQ. Guess I was so caught up in the moment (and a bit pressed for time) that I forgot to ask those very relevant questions. Maybe Zac will check in here and provide that info.

So, I heard an IB system that is a bench mark for great HT bass (I assume it would be equally good for music) and the Danley speakers were a perfect match. Tom Danley is truly one of the most innovative audio engineers (just ask Jeff P) and he gets a lot out of what would otherwise be rather pedestrian components. It is a case where excellent product engineering allows for the use of well matched components to produce a world class sound.

Kudos to Zac for a wonderful and creative self built HT. I tend to be a little jaded about these things but Zac's system succeeded in getting my jaw to drop ...

Well played sir ...
Frohlich and staaled like this.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 09-05-2014 at 08:00 AM.
post #22803 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2889 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Thanks for that report!

Many folks hold off purchasing Danley waiting for this mythical "HT" version. I've said multiple times I don't see any reason to wait. Personally, I don't expect any drastic improvement over the SM60F, and in fact think it won't be as good because the rumors are they will make it less robust (less output). That's a mistake imo since they kick arse as they are.

I appears you would agree

post #22804 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for all the help on the older 12HT's. He wouldn't come off 2k for the pair so I moved on. The search continues.
post #22805 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
That looks good Brandon. You should be and are justifiably proud ... was that L&R speakers or?

That was the stereo sweep for each position, as in both going at the same time.

In any case, Tom Danley does wonders with his Synergy Horn designs. I visited forum member zacjones's HT yesterday. Unlike us Beast, Zac has a life and doesn't post much but he does need to update his HT Build Thread with pics and info. He and a friend came to my HT first and then we caravaned over to his place after an hour of listening to my system. He had heard my Triple 12/OS based setup and I had heard his Danley SM60F's and (SM LPM?) surrounds when he first got them a couple of years ago. He had some large DIY 18" subs and I thought his initial setup sounded good.

Graduating from those, I have to say the 60f's are an incredible performer and I likely would have been JUST fine keeping them. I deal for the big boys was simply too good to pass up

Since then, Zac has finished the room off with extensive treatments, the L&R Danley's built into columns and the SM60F center is on a custom pole stand. He has 2 powered screens (16:9 and 2:35 formats) and a JVC RS 45 (with a very cool power lift that drops out of the ceiling) that was Jeff Meier calibrated (Jeff did an audio calibration as well).

The HT is on the second story of his home (over the garage) and is a repurposed space that is wide and relatively shallow but open to a very large common area of the 2nd story. There are large openings in the back wall as well as a large open entrance to the HT space. For aesthetic reasons, Zac decided to leave the space open and deal with any acoustic consequences as best he could. He also built a (8) IXL18.4 IB subwoofer system that is under floor mounted and there are two large (I'd guess 36"X36") custom grills on the floor for the IB. They are approximately in line with the mains half way between the speakers and the seating.

The only IB system I have heard at this point was the one I put into the back of the theater and it was in fact one of the cleanest sounding setups period. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and might end up with something back near there again to supplement, as it really did smooth out the very low end.

OK, now I had always considered an IB sub system and have a nice space that would allow me to do this but out of laziness (too busy posting here ) I didn't do it. Zac's IB setup is the best HT LFE setup I have ever heard. We listened to several movie demos (LOTR, FOTP, WOTW, Art O Flight) several of which we had just listened to in my HT and his setup blew me away ... literally with silly grin and all. The bass was so perfectly integrated with the Danley's and extended so deep that it was just one seamless sound system with incredible power and depth. It may be the best HT sound system I have ever heard and his video wasn't far behind. He used REW on his HTPC to measure but I did not see any measurements nor did I ask what he used for EQ. Guess I was so caught up in the moment (and a bit pressed for time) that I forgot to ask those very relevant questions. Maybe Zac will check in here and provide that info.

I really hope he does, I would love to pick his brain a little The Danley thread is a ghostyard, and why I stay around here with all you cool cats.

So, I heard an IB system that is a bench mark for great HT bass (I assume it would be equally good for music) and the Danley speakers were a perfect match. Tom Danley is truly one of the most innovative audio engineers (just ask Jeff P) and he gets a lot out of what would otherwise be rather pedestrian components. It is a case where excellent product engineering allows for the use of well matched components to produce a world class sound.

Kudos to Zac for a wonderful and creative self built HT. I tend to be a little jaded about these things but Zac's system succeeded in getting my jaw to drop ...

Well played sir ...
Thanks again for the compliments, I still have some playing to do, and really need another Open DRC for the subs to get that area smoothed out a little more. I want rising response all the way to 10hz, so there is still refinement to be done, but it won't be all that hard really.
post #22806 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3703 Post(s)
Liked: 2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5 View Post
Thanks for all the help on the older 12HT's. He wouldn't come off 2k for the pair so I moved on. The search continues.
Man, $2k would be about what I would do for the brand new 12HT's. That is highway robbery for those old ones.
post #22807 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Man, $2k would be about what I would do for the brand new 12HT's. That is highway robbery for those old ones.
Thanks for the heads up on that Beast. I have an offer in (3400) to idratherbeflying on his updated 12HTs but he doesn't seem keen on shipping. Jeff is going to call me at 1:00 to talk about some HT 12 lp's as he is sold out of the HT's. I have a couple sub M's so the sealed should work well crossed at 80. I'll see what Jeff says.
post #22808 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1127
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on that Beast. I have an offer in (3400) to idratherbeflying on his updated 12HTs but he doesn't seem keen on shipping. Jeff is going to call me at 1:00 to talk about some HT 12 lp's as he is sold out of the HT's. I have a couple sub M's so the sealed should work well crossed at 80. I'll see what Jeff says.

Listen to beastaudio. He has been on this thread for a while and a lot of us who hang out here have a good feel for "going rate". Just looking out for current and future JTR owners
post #22809 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Listen to beastaudio. He has been on this thread for a while and a lot of us who hang out here have a good feel for "going rate". Just looking out for current and future JTR owners
I'll do that. Thanks for looking out. I'll be an owner soon I have a feeling. I need some fronts for NFL Redzone and a game or two if I can pull myself away from there.
post #22810 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
For a bit more, a pair of 228's brand new would be a better buy..
post #22811 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
I'm finally getting my Bose system delivered tomorrow. I'll post up pics if you guys want. Maybe make a vid if you guys want. Just let me know.
I bet it doesnt come on a pallet!

post #22812 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I second this comment.. Great and knowledgeable guy!
beastaudio and Baron5 like this.
post #22813 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those were my Triple 12's and they have the latest CD/woofers/crossovers. I think they are a good deal but since he doesn't have original boxes, the shipping is an issue. The sealed would be good especially if you have boundaries (walls) in close proximity to the mains.

Opinions are not facts.
post #22814 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 750
I am gonna be selling a pair of older JBL XPL 140 full range speakers soon if anyone is interested. The 8" woofers were recently rebuilt to exact JBL specs by Orange county speaker. Probably should have a full rebuild of the 3" and 1" drivers as well considering they are 19yrs old. Anyway great sounding unique speaker. Ported and after a Audyssey Calibration I couldn't tell a difference between these full range or crossed over to the submersives. Just curious if you think AVS is the best place to list them or somewhere else

http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/Catal...unsafe__site__

Last edited by jlpowell84; 09-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #22815 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
He is not kidding guys, that system moves some air.

asoofi1 likes this.
post #22816 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Those were my Triple 12's and they have the latest CD/woofers/crossovers. I think they are a good deal but since he doesn't have original boxes, the shipping is an issue. The sealed would be good especially if you have boundaries (walls) in close proximity to the mains.
Success!!!!!!!!!

Three triple 12 HT LP's on the way. Well, being built in the next month anyway. The will be about a foot from the back wall and 3' from the side walls. Can't wait to hear the difference between these and my paradigm 60's/590 set up.
RMK! and countryWV like this.
post #22817 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Success!!!!!!!!!

Three triple 12 HT LP's on the way. Well, being built in the next month anyway. The will be about a foot from the back wall and 3' from the side walls. Can't wait to hear the difference between these and my paradigm 60's/590 set up.
Cool, Welcome to the club. I am a little confused though, are you getting new one's? I thought you were buying used? I don't think I have ever heard Paradigm's, but I am willing to bet you are going to like the T12's especially with movies.
post #22818 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Cool, Welcome to the club. I am a little confused though, are you getting new one's? I thought you were buying used?
Sorry. I was a little excited.

The Triple 12's from yesterday are out as they were older and would benefit from an upgrade and the seller didn't want to move off his price. I put an offer to another member about RMK's old triple 12's that were fully update and about an hour after that Jeff emailed me and said he would call about some HT LP parts he was looking to move. He called and gave me a great deal on three new 12 ht LF's. What a great guy to deal with. I can't wait.
post #22819 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry. I was a little excited.

The Triple 12's from yesterday are out as they were older and would benefit from an upgrade and the seller didn't want to move off his price. I put an offer to another member about RMK's old triple 12's that were fully update and about an hour after that Jeff emailed me and said he would call about some HT LP parts he was looking to move. He called and gave me a great deal on three new 12 ht LF's. What a great guy to deal with. I can't wait.
Cool. Gotta like when it all comes together.

Anywho, my daughter was just playing this in the background and I just cannot believe it. @popalock might like this. Kinda irrelevant, but I thought it was kinda cool.

popalock and Crabalocker like this.
post #22820 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Wonder what kind of CD and x over are in my 2009 triple 12s and what would be the cost of a upgrade

Last edited by dholmes54; 09-05-2014 at 01:14 PM.
post #22821 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Success!!!!!!!!!

Cool ...

Honestly, the Triple 12's are one of my favorite HT speakers. They sound great and will last forever. Most upgrade out of curiosity and then forget how good the T12's actually sound. I for one am sorry to see them go but considering the Noesis are a better sounding music speaker and equally capable HT speaker, there really is no need for both models in the line.

Opinions are not facts.
post #22822 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
Wonder what kind of CD and x over are in my 2009 triple 12s have and what would be the cost of a upgrade
If it were me (to do over again) I'd sit tight because you are fine with the 2009 model ... I upgraded twice and the improvements were very subtle.

Opinions are not facts.
post #22823 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Cool ...

Honestly, the Triple 12's are one of my favorite HT speakers. They sound great and will last forever. Most upgrade out of curiosity and then forget how good the T12's actually sound. I for one am sorry to see them go but considering the Noesis are a better sounding music speaker and equally capable HT speaker, there really is no need for both models in the line.
The Triple 12's were the best sounding out of all the JTR speakers I had in my room, including the 215's.. I have stated this numerous times and will state it again. My opinion is based on my room layout and the distance the speakers are from my first row. That is why the 215's weren't the right speaker for me...

Should have stuck with those instead of playing the upgrade game twice in two years...
laeriq, countryWV and jlpowell84 like this.

Last edited by COACH2369; 09-05-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #22824 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Thanks everyone,I like the sq of my old 12s but if I had a bigger ht the 215 would be my next upgrade!
post #22825 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1727
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
He is not kidding guys, that system moves some air.
Yeeeeah... I'll get some measurements to back up the video later on..

Quote:
Cool. Gotta like when it all comes together.

Anywho, my daughter was just playing this in the background and I just cannot believe it. @popalock might like this. Kinda irrelevant, but I thought it was kinda cool.
Very cool and I really do like it. Dude has skills. Will crank that to +18.5 when I get everything up and running on this end. Thanks for posting it.
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #22826 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
The Triple 12's were the best sounding out of all the JTR speakers I had in my room, including the 215's.. I have stated this numerous times and will state it again. My opinion is based on my room layout and the distance the speakers are from my first row. That is why the 215's weren't the right speaker for me...

Should have stuck with those instead of playing the upgrade game twice in two years...

Well I for one am happy that coach upgraded... Since I have the aforementioned T12's. Super super happy with them and have an all JTR setup. As cool as it is to read about the 212's and 215's, I have no upgrade fever. Just waiting to see how atoms shakes out and if that's the next big thing.
dgage, RMK! and countryWV like this.
post #22827 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Yeeeeah... I'll get some measurements to back up the video later on..

Very cool and I really do like it. Dude has skills. Will crank that to +18.5 when I get everything up and running on this end. Thanks for posting it.
Better put some blu tack on those pictures or they may end up on the floor with that shaking!!
post #22828 of 37170 Old 09-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah i would believe the XPR-1's would work great with them as well, they are as Beast mentioned Gen 2 and 29db. I was going to save my pair of XPR-1's for a possible future purchase of 215RT's but I believe I am going to put them up for sale later tonight or tomorrow, out of the last 12 mos they have been used for only 3 of those months! I use my XPR-5 to power my HT system so it's a total wast of a chunk of money even though I love the amps. I want to use the money to put into other areas of my system, just trying to decide on a sell price.
post #22829 of 37170 Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laeriq View Post
Well I for one am happy that coach upgraded... Since I have the aforementioned T12's. Super super happy with them and have an all JTR setup. As cool as it is to read about the 212's and 215's, I have no upgrade fever. Just waiting to see how atoms shakes out and if that's the next big thing.
Yeah, all this electrons/protons/neutrons stuff is kind of nebulous.
jlpowell84 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
post #22830 of 37170 Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
Yeah i would believe the XPR-1's would work great with them as well, they are as Beast mentioned Gen 2 and 29db. I was going to save my pair of XPR-1's for a possible future purchase of 215RT's but I believe I am going to put them up for sale later tonight or tomorrow, out of the last 12 mos they have been used for only 3 of those months! I use my XPR-5 to power my HT system so it's a total wast of a chunk of money even though I love the amps. I want to use the money to put into other areas of my system, just trying to decide on a sell price.
How do you figure out the gain of an amp? I'm using an old Emotiva LPA1 7 channel amp. Love the amp but don't know if it will play nice with my 12's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page