Official JTR speaker thread - Page 766 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #22951 of 23410 Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 391
This is just a sample. It gets worse. Like I said I painted that black better than this. I know one thing I am gong back to Home Depot and getting another gallon of the Disney Mouse Ears black. That is what I want used. The black they used is to light. I almost don't even want them back in here, I would rather do it myself, at least I know I can do it better.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22952 of 23410 Old 09-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Wow Dave that REALLY sucks. Third world quality but I bet they charged first world rate. I am pissed and its not my room, but with all the blood and treasure you have put into your space it sucks to see contractors crap on it.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #22953 of 23410 Old 09-06-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
This is just a sample. It gets worse. Like I said I painted that black better than this. I know one thing I am gong back to Home Depot and getting another gallon of the Disney Mouse Ears black. That is what I want used. The black they used is to light. I almost don't even want them back in here, I would rather do it myself, at least I know I can do it better.
Man wished I lived close, I would come and help out just for the sake of your room getting finished right. Ive done a bit of painting myself in the past. Apparently they have never used a roller before???
popalock likes this.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #22954 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone ever used Square trade warranties?

My Setup Thread

post #22955 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Has anyone ever used Square trade warranties?
Yes. Bought one for my Acer Laptop.

Wife tripped on my powercord, and broke my laptop. I informed squaretrade, they sent me a shipping box, fixed it and sent it back to me in about a week. I was looking at getting a Square Trade warranty on this BenQ SH915 projector I am looking at, but they won't honor it because I'm overseas.

I think it was like $115 for 4 years of protection.

post #22956 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Wow Dave that REALLY sucks. Third world quality but I bet they charged first world rate. I am pissed and its not my room, but with all the blood and treasure you have put into your space it sucks to see contractors crap on it.
I know Steve. I talked to the painters wife yesterday and sent her pics and she is not happy with it either. They will be here tomorrow at 7:30. I am just pissed I lost another weekend. I am getting the mini split AC unit in right now, so one step closer I guess. I am just happy that the wife has not said anything about two refrigerators in the living room for the weekend.

Quote:
Man wished I lived close, I would come and help out just for the sake of your room getting finished right. Ive done a bit of painting myself in the past. Apparently they have never used a roller before???
Thats cool man. Like I said I was going to do it, but figured it would look magazine quality with a professional painting crew. Anybody can slap paint on a wall, I mean you hire a painter for quality. I told the one guy out there I wish I could cut in good and he said that it is an art and takes along time, I guess he still has a while to go It is bike week here and me and the wife took the Hog out last night and I had a couple of stiff drinks and a great dinner. A good ride will cure all BS.

The mini split looks so nice with the crappy trim above it. You can even see white in the grey LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2182.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	251010  

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-07-2014 at 09:41 AM.
post #22957 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Unbelievable. If the owner doesn't make it right you should post the pictures of any and every place on the internet where you can post a review. The painters should be fired immediately.

post #22958 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know Steve. I talked to the painters wife yesterday and sent her pics and she is not happy with it either. They will be here tomorrow at 7:30. I am just pissed I lost another weekend. I am getting the mini split AC unit in right now, so one step closer I guess. I am just happy that the wife has not said anything about two refrigerators in the living room for the weekend.

Thats cool man. Like I said I was going to do it, but figured it would look magazine quality with a professional painting crew. Anybody can slap paint on a wall, I mean you hire a painter for quality. I told the one guy out there I wish I could cut in good and he said that it is an art and takes along time, I guess he still has a while to go It is bike week here and me and the wife took the Hog out last night and I had a couple of stiff drinks and a great dinner. A good ride will cure all BS.

The mini split looks so nice with the crappy trim above it. You can even see white in the grey LOL
Your photo gave me PTSD from my time in Cambodia. Our house, my work, and basically anywhere with air conditioning except the US Embassy had mini split AC's. They do work pretty well, one of embassy staff who brewed lager beer was able to keep one room in his house at 55 degrees. Which is impressive considering the ambient air temps were 100+ with incredible humidity.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #22959 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Yes. Bought one for my Acer Laptop.

Wife tripped on my powercord, and broke my laptop. I informed squaretrade, they sent me a shipping box, fixed it and sent it back to me in about a week. I was looking at getting a Square Trade warranty on this BenQ SH915 projector I am looking at, but they won't honor it because I'm overseas.

I think it was like $115 for 4 years of protection.
Ok sweet! I picked up Brandon's flawless working Ben Q W7000 but I have read these units can be hit and miss in relation to issues. Brandon has 600 hrs on the bulb so we know it works great. But still I was thinking it would be a good idea as numerous people have had iris failures randomly.

My Setup Thread

post #22960 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Dave - Very sorry to hear about your continued trouble with the room. Try to remain patient though, you're down to the final details of the room though and it's so close to being ready.

Perhaps a couple small mockup shots of your boxes to cheer you up This was just pushing a couple pieces together with my fingers, no clamps,etc. Unfortunately no time or truck to get the rest of the materials this weekend, but it should be on for next weekend. Drivers should also be here this week.

Monster woofage coming soon!

post #22961 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Dave - Very sorry to hear about your continued trouble with the room. Try to remain patient though, you're down to the final details of the room though and it's so close to being ready.

Perhaps a couple small mockup shots of your boxes to cheer you up This was just pushing a couple pieces together with my fingers, no clamps,etc. Unfortunately no time or truck to get the rest of the materials this weekend, but it should be on for next weekend. Drivers should also be here this week.

Nice.. Are those the flat packs from Eric?
post #22962 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

NIce sub design Gorilla83, those HST drivers look like beasts. So Dave will running these with his 215's? That will be pretty subtastic!

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #22963 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Nice.. Are those the flat packs from Eric?
No those aren't the flat packs...at least not from Eric. Those might be flat packs from Andrew though. In the second picture you can see the blue legs with the large white pipes. The legs are for his Shopbot CNC and the white pipes are part of his very cool material vacuum hold-down. So all of the wood you've seen was cut by Andrew on his fancy CNC. And I must thank Andrew for all of his help in getting my own used CNC.

David
post #22964 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

You certainly know how to cheer a guy up. The HST's are sick. Cannot wait. Oh yeah, I found a 6000dsp. Last one in stock. It will be hear next week.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.
post #22965 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
NIce sub design Gorilla83, those HST drivers look like beasts. So Dave will running these with his 215's? That will be pretty subtastic!
Yep the plan is to run full range with subs. KABOOM!

My System

post #22966 of 23410 Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Are you going to try to run the Triax with these?
post #22967 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Umm yeah, that otta do it ... that bad paint job will be a moot point when the walls come a tumblin down.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #22968 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Umm yeah, that otta do it … that bad paint job will be a moot point when the walls come a tumbling down.
LOL. However the walls got extra nails and extra screws. Also good solid plywood all around. It should hold. 4 15's will not be enough bass. Two ported 18's from Primate Audio will give me the finishing touch for now. Might need 2 more for near field down the road.

Anyway, painters came today. The owner himself with his best guy came and redid the whole room. I went last night and picked up a can of Disney Mouse Ears from the Orange store. He was a little hesitant to use it at first, but then he said whatever I want and he winded up liking it. I came out when it was done and the black looks fantastic. He said the Behr Mouse Ear flat black was good stuff. Anybody painting black in the future, consider using it. It is real thick and dries really nice. The other black I heard that was good was the Rosco black which I heard good things about it. The blackest, most flat paint. Period.
I also finished the install of the mini split. The AC guy has it pressure testing now. As soon as he pulls the plug, the construction is finished.

Now I got my work cut out for me. Gotta get the Single 8's mounted, screen up, chairs in and I have to move those refrigerators into place. Hopefully I am up and running Wednesday night. I gotta say the 215's are one good looking speaker.
Nabs17 and countryWV like this.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-08-2014 at 11:25 AM.
post #22969 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
LOL. However the walls got extra nails and extra screws. Also good solid plywood all around. It should hold. 4 15's will not be enough bass. Two ported 18's from Primate Audio will give me the finishing touch for now. I definitely need 4 more for near field down the road.
Fixed!!!!
Gorilla83 likes this.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #22970 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
LOL. However the walls got extra nails and extra screws. Also good solid plywood all around. It should hold. 4 15's will not be enough bass. Two ported 18's from Primate Audio will give me the finishing touch for now. Might need 2 more for near field down the road.

Anyway, painters came today. The owner himself with his best guy came and redid the whole room. I went last night and picked up a can of Disney Mouse Ears from the Orange store. He was a little hesitant to use it at first, but then he said whatever I want and he winded up liking it. I came out when it was done and the black looks fantastic. He said the Behr Mouse Ear flat black was good stuff. Anybody painting black in the future, consider using it. It is real thick and dries really nice. The other black I heard that was good was the Rosco black which I heard good things about it. The blackest, most flat paint. Period.
I also finished the install of the mini split. The AC guy has it pressure testing now. As soon as he pulls the plug, the construction is finished.

Now I got my work cut out for me. Gotta get the Single 8's mounted, screen up, chairs in and I have to move those refrigerators into place. Hopefully I am up and running Wednesday night. I gotta say the 215's are one good looking speaker.
It's all downhill from here.

I agree about the 4 15"s. The zacjones IB demo left me (even with 6 15's) wanting more bass. I'm afraid I'd have to go IB to get there and it just isn't in this years plan. Down the road ... maybe ...
lbrown105 likes this.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #22971 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

The Rosco paint can be tricky to apply. I used it for my ceiling with mixed results. It looks more gray than black after the application. Again, this is a subjective opinion, but I went to Benjamin More and asked for the blackest color they could mix. They used a base that was one step up from their contractor line and mixed as much black as they could, from the discussion of those who know paint on this board, mouse ears and this mix are probably one in the same...since mix as described was the same as mouse ears. It was much easier to paint and I think the results are better for both appearance and reflections. Again, this is one person's experience. Sounds like the behr ME turned out nicely.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #22972 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
The Rosco paint can be tricky to apply. I used it for my ceiling with mixed results. It looks more gray than black after the application. Again, this is a subjective opinion, but I went to Benjamin More and asked for the blackest color they could mix. They used a base that was one step up from their contractor line and mixed as much black as they could, from the discussion of those who know paint on this board, mouse ears and this mix are probably one in the same...since mix as described was the same as mouse ears. It was much easier to paint and I think the results are better for both appearance and reflections. Again, this is one person's experience. Sounds like the behr ME turned out nicely.

Ron
The black the painter used here first was Benjamin More black and it was light compared to the Mouse ears, probably a little grayish. I had heard the Rosco was tricky, so I just stayed away from it, not to mention I would have had to order it. I am honestly happy with the Mouse ears and it easy to get, I mixed it with Behr flat matte with primer. You have to ask for it and demand for them to make it if they say they done make it. In the end I had bought about 4 gallons of Mouse ears, the first girl at HD knew what it was and mixed it right up. The other 2 gallons were mixed by two different guys and they both shook their heads and said no, they don't have Mouse ears in the system anymore. I had to make them look it up.

My System

post #22973 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Primate Audio
I love it! Great name...better guy behind it!

Oh yeah...and so glad to hear your paint job turned out nice and was taken care of...I know how frustrating those sorts of things can be.
post #22974 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Dave, did you take any after pictures?

post #22975 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Dave, did you take any after pictures?
No, I figure the next pictures I will take it will all be decked out. It looks great. I have been out fooling around the mini split AC unit. Don't need it today, but the thing is cool. The last week has been unbelievably hot and humid and today is cool and rainy, figures. Seen it is supposed to get really cool out in the midlands next week. Get the morning sweaters out.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.
post #22976 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Primate Audio.....I love it! Great name...better guy behind it!

Oh yeah...and so glad to hear your paint job turned out nice and was taken care of...I know how frustrating those sorts of things can be.
I hear they never get any work done because they are always monkey'n around! Sorry, I had to!
dgage and Gorilla83 like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #22977 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, I figure the next pictures I will take it will all be decked out. It looks great. I have been out fooling around the mini split AC unit. Don't need it today, but the thing is cool. The last week has been unbelievably hot and humid and today is cool and rainy, figures. Seen it is supposed to get really cool out in the midlands next week. Get the morning sweaters out.
Dave, are you gonna team up with Primate Audio and offer a flat pack to the public? What is the port tune of those bad boys? Could be a couple nice replacements for Submersives Also is it public info on the cost of the HST?

My Setup Thread

post #22978 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dave, are you gonna team up with Primate Audio and offer a flat pack to the public? What is the port tune of those bad boys? Could be a couple nice replacements for Submersives Also is it public info on the cost of the HST?

If they did you could sell your SubM HP's and probably buy four HST18's and four of these flat packs! And get two inuke 6000's to power them.
post #22979 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
If they did you could sell your SubM HP's and probably buy four HST18's and four of these flat packs! And get two inuke 6000's to power them.
I like the "look" of the height. Seems comparable to a subversive. Then again I am in a small room and my submersives act as LR speaker stands. Not for that but because they measure best raw response at the 1/4 and 3/4 points on the front wall. Speaker stands are just a bonus. But those may not be able to be speaker stands. I couldn't say as my experience levels with diverse levels of gear are much less than the norm around here.

My Setup Thread

post #22980 of 23410 Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I like the "look" of the height. Seems comparable to a subversive. Then again I am in a small room and my submersives act as LR speaker stands. Not for that but because they measure best raw response at the 1/4 and 3/4 points on the front wall. Speaker stands are just a bonus. But those may not be able to be speaker stands. I couldn't say as my experience levels with diverse levels of gear are much less than the norm around here.
You could use row as L&R speakers stands and run two in the back near field! That would be crazy, I'm sure Andrew would make you four cabinets if you asked and the HST-18's I think are $550ea shipped. Should be no reason why you couldn't sell the SubM's quickly.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page