post #23131 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Ok, spill the beans. Watchya got in there?
From 9/9/14:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Well guys I'm a new owner as my trio of Triple 12HT's just shipped from JTR today and I'm really looking forward to them! I just parted with a set of Def Tech BP7001SC and a CLR 3000 and I'm hoping I'll be impressed with the change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23132 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Cool. Thanks DD and congrats BD!

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #23133 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Step one, get the upgrade sickness, check!
Step two, obtain approval from the boss, check!
Step three, place an order, check!
Step four, receive the speakers, check!
Step five, find some help to get these bad boys upstairs!
Step six, relax and enjoy one of the best HT speakers I have ever heard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #23134 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I have had this exact same experience. I had one guy set to do everything from A to Z, and then I started mentioning some of the equipment I was wanting to get and he started balking. I told him I am find getting some equipment through him if it was stuff I wanted and if his price was in line with others, and he seemed to get back on board, but his communication has been pretty off and on since then. He wants $2800 (7% of the project budget - though the budget should be a lot lower since some of the stuff I wouldn't get from him) up front for the design and specification which is non-refundable and would go to the overall project cost. It'd be great to be able to hire one guy and not have to worry about it, but with his attitude, I'm not sure I'm wanting to work with him. So, with his lackluster communication lately, I've been using my time to get estimates from contractor's for the various parts of work. Unfortunately, most of them haven't given me very much confidence in their understanding of home theaters and what is involved. And so far, their prices haven't been all that great for what they're proposing to do. I'm still not sure it would even be cheaper than hiring the one guy to do it all. Some of the other installers I have reached out to and said I'm looking for construction guys and going to get my equipment on my own, but that I might still ask for their help with some sort of control system, and a couple seem okay with that. It's a pain though having to meet people at the house several times a week and going over the same things to get all these estimates and then having to coordinate everyone. I'd have to get a design probably from Nyal or Dennis, and then coordinate the construction guys, electrical guys, hvac guys, av guys, maybe the carpet guys too depending on how much the construction contractor covers. It's frustrating.
Exactly. I get the feeling that their whole business model is driven by margins on acoustic treatment, expensive equipment, etc.

On the other hand, I'm nervous about going with people without home theater experience and messing things up or wasting money on rookie mistakes.

It would be refreshing for someone to say, I need $x for this to be worth my time, and I'll work with you on the rest to give you good results for a good value. Instead, they just say, "no." I guess they have other clients with deeper pockets.

$2800 for a nice interior design and expert plans would be very reasonable, if it was well done, and in enough detail so that a contractor could do the rest. If you find something like that, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23135 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

@rcohen what are your thoughts on the 212's at this point?

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23136 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Well good news is my crackling is not caused by Audyssey. And hopefully will go away with the new amp.

post #23137 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Exactly. I get the feeling that their whole business model is driven by margins on acoustic treatment, expensive equipment, etc.

On the other hand, I'm nervous about going with people without home theater experience and messing things up or wasting money on rookie mistakes.

It would be refreshing for someone to say, I need $x for this to be worth my time, and I'll work with you on the rest to give you good results for a good value. Instead, they just say, "no." I guess they have other clients with deeper pockets.

$2800 for a nice interior design and expert plans would be very reasonable, if it was well done, and in enough detail so that a contractor could do the rest. If you find something like that, let me know.
I appreciate your concern about having someone work on the project without HT experience. Even when I just replaced my drop ceiling I ended up doing all of the wiring, hat and whisper clips so that when the contractor came in to put up the OSB and DW all I had to do was give the spec on how many screws per board were required with a system like that and they did what the do best which was hammer it out in lightning speed and excellent quality including the taping. So it took me a month ( I like most have a day job!) to get the hat channel, clips, wiring and electrical changes in place and the room still looked so awful but in one day they had the place ready to tape. This was just the ceiling and I think you have the entire project in front of you. Best of luck, good contractors are hard to find.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #23138 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
@rcohen what are your thoughts on the 212's at this point?
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to spend much time with them, yet, or run room EQ, but my initial impression went something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YG4...utu.be&t=1m21s
Frohlich and jlpowell84 like this.

post #23139 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Well good news is my crackling is not caused by Audyssey. And hopefully will go away with the new amp.
that is good. I was talking with Jeff yesterday and he was asking how you are coming along. I told him as soon as you get the new amp set up you should be good to go. Did you get the nano avr yet?

then we proceeded to talk about the big amps and what they bring to the table for JTR speakers especially the RT's. It will be great hearing the 215rt with 2000 watts each!
ChldsPlay likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #23140 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
then we proceeded to talk about the big amps and what they bring to the table for JTR speakers especially the RT's. It will be great hearing the 215rt with 2000 watts each!
What was your conclusion?

I have a couple 400 watt options sitting around I'm anxious to compare:
3x Hypex NC400 mono kits
Parasound A51

Not sure if I'd be better off with monster amps, or if it matters.

post #23141 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to spend much time with them, yet, or run room EQ, but my initial impression went something like this:

Ha! Glad to hear it.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23142 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yeah, I think they must get quite a bit of margin off equipment. I'm fine with letting them do acoustic treatment too, because I really don't want to deal with all of that. I've been looking at it a lot more lately to figure out a "look" I want that incorporates treatments. I think I have an idea in my head that will look pretty good, now I just need to figure out how to do it, or find someone who will do it for me. I'm waiting on a couple of numbers from some guys on construction (including my gf's cousin) and then I'll make my decision. Despite issues with the one guy's attitude, the idea of just being done making decisions and trying to figure things out and getting started sounds great to me. Of course, I do wonder how he'll react if I tell him I have JTR speakers now. Speakers was probably our biggest headbutt before when I was looking at the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 In-walls, and he was trying to lead me towards Tru Audio. I think he was resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting speakers through him, because I was getting the Klipsch at a lot lower price than he had them. I still may get surrounds from them if he can get the Klipsch Pro cinemas though. He used to be a member here many years ago (last post was 2006 I think) and his personal theater garnered a lot of attention because of the theme. I did send him pictures of some theaters I liked and he said he liked them and that he thought we could get something similar with my budget. We'll see.

Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT
Surround Speakers - TBD
Subwoofers - Dual Passive JTR Captivator Pros
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR608
post #23143 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
What was your conclusion?

I have a couple 400 watt options sitting around I'm anxious to compare:
3x Hypex NC400 mono kits
Parasound A51

Not sure if I'd be better off with monster amps, or if it matters.
If you are running the 212s like me, they are super efficient. I run a Parasound A51 and it doesn't even break a sweat..ever...not even close. Now the 215s are a different animal and would benefit from more juice than the A51s can provide if you start going to or above reference. The 212s can hit reference on under 10 watts..the 215s start needing 500 watts plus when you start hitting reference and above and a running full range.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #23144 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
that is good. I was talking with Jeff yesterday and he was asking how you are coming along. I told him as soon as you get the new amp set up you should be good to go. Did you get the nano avr yet?

It might be more then 2000 watts actually as they are 1500 Watts into 8 ohms. So it may be more like 2500 Watts into 4 ohm.

And yes I have the nanoAVR

post #23145 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Yeah, I think they must get quite a bit of margin off equipment. I'm fine with letting them do acoustic treatment too, because I really don't want to deal with all of that. I've been looking at it a lot more lately to figure out a "look" I want that incorporates treatments. I think I have an idea in my head that will look pretty good, now I just need to figure out how to do it, or find someone who will do it for me. I'm waiting on a couple of numbers from some guys on construction (including my gf's cousin) and then I'll make my decision. Despite issues with the one guy's attitude, the idea of just being done making decisions and trying to figure things out and getting started sounds great to me. Of course, I do wonder how he'll react if I tell him I have JTR speakers now. Speakers was probably our biggest headbutt before when I was looking at the Klipsch THX Ultra 2 In-walls, and he was trying to lead me towards Tru Audio. I think he was resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting speakers through him, because I was getting the Klipsch at a lot lower price than he had them. I still may get surrounds from them if he can get the Klipsch Pro cinemas though. He used to be a member here many years ago (last post was 2006 I think) and his personal theater garnered a lot of attention because of the theme. I did send him pictures of some theaters I liked and he said he liked them and that he thought we could get something similar with my budget. We'll see.
I think acoustic treatments is a huge margin item for them. Like I said, I don't mind them making money, but I have a problem with the hidden profits and hidden agenda with expensive product recommendations. I suspect experience building theaters has real value, though.

post #23146 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Ok, spill the beans. Watchya got in there?

I also purchased the three stands as well to support the trio!
post #23147 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I think acoustic treatments is a huge margin item for them. Like I said, I don't mind them making money, but I have a problem with the hidden profits and hidden agenda with expensive product recommendations. I suspect experience building theaters has real value, though.

I'm in total agreement with this! Funny though I was asking for professional assistance as I'm planning on doing a full acoustic treatment to my HT and he basically bashed my previous bipolar speaker setup which drew me to the JTR line. I believe in soliciting a professional acousticians opinion before developing a plan to build/purchase the needed treatments.
post #23148 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm in total agreement with this! Funny though I was asking for professional assistance as I'm planning on doing a full acoustic treatment to my HT and he basically bashed my previous bipolar speaker setup which drew me to the JTR line. I believe in soliciting a professional acousticians opinion before developing a plan to build/purchase the needed treatments.
No surprise that lots of JTR fans feel this way, since they only sell direct.

I read somewhere that some of the acoustic treatment companies will give you pro advice on acoustic treatment.

I wonder if dialing in fancy "acoustic lens" treatment is less of an issue, though, if you go with main speakers with constant directivity horns and monopole surrounds. Maybe dialing in the right diffusion ratio is less of an issue, and you just need enough absorption. Room modes are still tricky, but the REW room sim seems to work great for that.

You can buy raw materials for good absorption for practically nothing.
countryWV and lbrown105 like this.

post #23149 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Well me and the wife just got done lugging a few big theater chairs in the room and I fully believe that the chairs are brown. I ordered three black and I swear they are brown. However sometimes they do look black to me and my wife swears they black and thinks I have lost it. We have been at this for an hour. If I look into the room from the other room they are black, but when I get close, they are brown. They also appear to have brown stitching. It would only make sense that they are brown so I have to ship them back and do it all over again. I mean why would I order black chairs and get black chairs????? I am praying in the morning when the room is lit up that they are black. I will say they are comfy, this was a blind buy and it worked. That is if they are the right color. They are the Lane 103's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2193.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	259866  

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-12-2014 at 08:30 PM.
post #23150 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
No surprise that lots of JTR fans feel this way, since they only sell direct.

I read somewhere that some of the acoustic treatment companies will give you pro advice on acoustic treatment.

I wonder if dialing in fancy "acoustic lens" treatment is less of an issue, though, if you go with main speakers with constant directivity horns and monopole surrounds. Maybe dialing in the right diffusion ratio is less of an issue, and you just need enough absorption. Room modes are still tricky, but the REW room sim seems to work great for that.

You can buy raw materials for good absorption for practically nothing.

I have been looking into this for sometime. I have friends that think I'm nuts for selling my previous speaker setup but after doing some research I'm convinced it was the appropriate move. Besides I have the bosses approval thus far. Anyway I started looking into the room treatment thing by reviewing this YouTube presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAyF5ksbkk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DraA yF5ksbkk&app=desktop

After additional reading I gained advice from GIK which appear to be topnotch folks, not to say there aren't others but these are the folks I'm leaning towards purchasing the panels I need.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/
countryWV likes this.
post #23151 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have been looking into this for sometime. I have friends that think I'm nuts for selling my previous speaker setup but after doing some research I'm convinced it was the appropriate move. Besides I have the bosses approval thus far. Anyway I started looking into the room treatment thing by reviewing this YouTube presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAyF5ksbkk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DraA yF5ksbkk&app=desktop

After additional reading I gained advice from GIK which appear to be topnotch folks, not to say there aren't others but these are the folks I'm leaning towards purchasing the panels I need.

http://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/
Do you know you are writing in black? Anyway, panels are pretty easy to make, just takes time. You could build your own for a 1/4 of the price.

My System

post #23152 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I know I have heard some guys looking for a new BD player. This may be the one. I am interested.

Pioneer Elite BDP-85FD and BDP-88FD Blu-ray Players at CEDIA 2014

My System

post #23153 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Do you know you are writing in black? Anyway, panels are pretty easy to make, just takes time. You could build your own for a 1/4 of the price.
Very true. But no way I have the time to construct panels that would look professionally done. I just ordered from GIK . Corner bass traps and some front wall treatments to get ready for the new speaks. I think I will add a couple panels to cover the contralateral first reflections, but held off since I might do art panels for those. Definitely doable as DIY though, I have no doubt about that.
countryWV likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23154 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:

From what I understand you need a mixture of absorption and diffusion and yes the traps and absorption panels can be made on the cheap in comparison but the diffusion panels are a different animal.
post #23155 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The amount of treatments, and even the need for them above schroeder at all, isn't entirely clear.

What is clear is that those that sell treatments generally believe you can't have too many .
Reddig likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23156 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Quote:
Ha! Glad to hear it.
Lol very nice! Except we know who "cooked" these speakers

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #23157 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

They were only used for church music on Sundays .

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23158 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Well me and the wife just got done lugging a few big theater chairs in the room and I fully believe that the chairs are brown. I ordered three black and I swear they are brown. However sometimes they do look black to me and my wife swears they black and thinks I have lost it. We have been at this for an hour. If I look into the room from the other room they are black, but when I get close, they are brown. They also appear to have brown stitching. It would only make sense that they are brown so I have to ship them back and do it all over again. I mean why would I order black chairs and get black chairs????? I am praying in the morning when the room is lit up that they are black. I will say they are comfy, this was a blind buy and it worked. That is if they are the right color. They are the Lane 103's
They look a little brown in that picture. Is there anything on the tags that states they are black? They look really nice though. I have couches that look the same color. In a dimly lit room you would swear they are black but in bright light they are very dark brown.
post #23159 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
I found a place in Canada that sells them for so cheap its not even worth building them. I bought really nice 2'x4'x3.5" think panels for $50ea. they are really 3" thick but have a 1/2" air gap in them which is also really nice. Plus they did a bunch of custom sizes for me. Anyone located in Canada should definitely take a look at what they have to offer!

The panels shipped today and I should have them around Wednesday.
post #23160 of 23490 Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I found a place in Canada that sells them for so cheap its not even worth building them. I bought really nice 2'x4'x3.5" think panels for $50ea. they are really 3" thick but have a 1/2" air gap in them which is also really nice. Plus they did a bunch of custom sizes for me. Anyone located in Canada should definitely take a look at what they have to offer!

The panels shipped today and I should have them around Wednesday.
Link? Company name?
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page