Official JTR speaker thread - Page 781 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #23401 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
^^ not quite true. If the 212 and 215 are being fed the same watts the 212 is at least 6dB more output. I haven't measured the 215 but the 212 is rated 101 but i get more like 104dB. Remember the 212 can handle the same amount of power. I am right in the midle of my new set up with a new pre pro the the LG10k to the 212's and while I don't have it eq'd yet the level of power these 212's now have with 2100 watts each powering them is astounding! From 80 hz and up the 212 wins hands down in pure output.

Also I think it is interesting finding out how the opinion is that the 215 is harder to set up than the 212. I think everyone was hopeful that without the need for subs it would just be plug and play.
I gotta admit, this is one of the best sounding speakers I have heard yet music wise. I am finding difficult to set it up with movies. I know what it is and it is running them full range for movies no subs. I think is is just going to be allot easier to cross them for movies with subs. I don't have subs in the room yet as they are not done yet and I don't have anyone to help me the Triax's to get them in the theater yet. I have a feeling I am going to be going with my plan to run full range for music and cross them with subs for movies. My problem with movies is that the bass is to overpowering, I can not find a balance between heavy LFE and dialog and that is just because I am not that experienced with setting it up a system to run full range with no subs. I remember RMK saying it was difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23402 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
It's my fault I have kinda clogged this thread up the past few days. Im sorry for that. But yeah, it's the JTR thread.
I actually enjoy how this thread can be a little A.D.D. at times, keep things interesting. Plus it should really be called the JTR lifestyle thread, so basically JTR and things going on in the life of JTR owners!....lol

So in keeping with that theme I thought I'd show off the newest addition to my JTR family!

It's been a late night and I'm running on fumes! I was working late till around 1am this morning and didn't fall asleep till 1:30am, next this I know my wife's waking me up at 2:20 with contractions. We dropped off our kids at their grandparents, got to the hospital for 3:37am and my daughter was born at 5:03am..... EXHAUSTED..lol

Okay, sorry for that back to our regular viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	503
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	269665   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	536
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	269673  
carp, Frohlich, dgage and 7 others like this.
post #23403 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 828
Quote:
I gotta admit, this is one of the best sounding speakers I have heard yet music wise. I am finding difficult to set it up with movies. I know what it is and it is running them full range for movies no subs. I think is is just going to be allot easier to cross them for movies with subs. I don't have subs in the room yet as they are not done yet and I don't have anyone to help me the Triax's to get them in the theater yet. I have a feeling I am going to be going with my plan to run full range for music and cross them with subs for movies. My problem with movies is that the bass is to overpowering, I can not find a balance between heavy LFE and dialog and that is just because I am not that experienced with setting it up a system to run full range with no subs. I remember RMK saying it was difficult.
Not really, just have Jeff do it ...

But seriously, it was nice having the designer/builder of the speakers in for the setup. He can be a moody guy ( ) so I let him do it his way and then tweaked things after he left. The Rane interface is the best Audio DSP GUI I have seen (very Visio like ). If you run them full range on your AVR and then have DSP with your 6000 you should be able to set to taste. MiniDSP is another way to go.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #23404 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

But seriously, it was nice having the designer/builder of the speakers in for the setup. He can be a moody guy ( ) so I let him do it his way and then tweaked things after he left. The Rane interface is the best Audio DSP GUI I have seen (very Visio like ). If you run them full range on your AVR and then have DSP with your 6000 you should be able to set to taste. MiniDSP is another way to go.
You know what is weird, I put in Star Trek into Darkness and it sounds great !!! I have had WOW loaded up for the past couple of nights. I don't know but I am very happy what I am hearing with this disc. How can this be? I changed discs because I am trying to set my projector for aspect ratios, glad I did. I have got to say these speakers are insane. I mean the bass is unreal. When they are hit with good LFE man do the hit hard, I mean my hair is moving LOL

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-19-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #23405 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
What is WOW?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #23406 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
You know what is weird, I put in Star Trek into Darkness and it sounds great !!! I have had WOW loaded up for the past couple of nights. I don't know but I am very happy what I am hearing with this disc. How can this be? I changed discs because I am trying to set my projector for aspect ratios, glad I did. I have got to say these speakers are insane. I mean the bass is unreal. When they are hit with good LFE man do the hit hard, I mean my hair is moving LOL
Yeah well imagine with 3 across the front ... no more bass needed except for those "unique" few who feel the need for brown note capability.

Opinions are not facts.
post #23407 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 01:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
What is WOW?
War of the Worlds

Opinions are not facts.
post #23408 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah well imagine with 3 across the front … no more bass needed except for those "unique" few who feel the need for brown note capability.
Yeah I hear you. I am eventually going to add a 215RM. As suggested by Andrew I think I will use the ported monsters for near field.

More on the movies, WOTW for some reason just does not sound good for some reason, at least on what I have here now, It sounded fine before on my other set up. I know the bass is super deep, but the dialog is so soft, I would turn the volume up and then the bass would hit and it was just to much. Now with the Star Trek disc, it sounds great. Good dialog, good bass, sounds like I have separate subs. What I like is how the 215's just have a monstrous sound stage, the bass in your face is unreal. Also for the short clips I watched I felt the dynamics were close to the 212's with the edge to the 212's, but the trade off is a huge soundstage. I am really looking forward to getting these things straitened out. Good stuff here.
post #23409 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I actually enjoy how this thread can be a little A.D.D. at times, keep things interesting. Plus it should really be called the JTR lifestyle thread, so basically JTR and things going on in the life of JTR owners!....lol

So in keeping with that theme I thought I'd show off the newest addition to my JTR family!

It's been a late night and I'm running on fumes! I was working late till around 1am this morning and didn't fall asleep till 1:30am, next this I know my wife's waking me up at 2:20 with contractions. We dropped off our kids at their grandparents, got to the hospital for 3:37am and my daughter was born at 5:03am..... EXHAUSTED..lol

Congratulations Joe!! Although I have to admit I'm not envious of your next few years, haha. Now that both kids are in school I don't know if I could "start over" again but I'm happy for you man.
post #23410 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
How far back is your first row?
Quote:
I will answer for him, 10' If you meant Coach, I think he was 8'.

I'm a little closer than that, not much though. Each ear is 9 feet 4 inches from a main speaker to be exact.
post #23411 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

So how did you pull that off?? We're you the first 215 owner??

Nabs17
post #23412 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn poppa bear, congrats. My youngest just started high school this year and my oldest graduated last year. Im feeling old.
post #23413 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Damn poppa bear, congrats. My youngest just started high school this year and my oldest graduated last year. Im feeling old.

LOL..... Thanks Dave! Not looking forward to the second mortgage payment called daycare when my wife goes back to work next September, can you believe it $1800 a month for three! [emoji54]
post #23414 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL..... Thanks Dave! Not looking forward to the second mortgage payment called daycare when my wife goes back to work next September, can you believe it $1800 a month for three! [emoji54]
Oh I remember, mine were spread out a little, so not so bad for me, but I remember when they started school it was great to loose that payment. But count that as chump change, when they get older and want cars, college, trips to Disney, the list goes on.
post #23415 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
So how did you pull that off?? We're you the first 215 owner??
Yeah, I have been at or near the front of the line for several new JTR products. But it was hosting a GTG that brought Jeff out of his workshop lair. He loves to see peoples reactions to his products.

Opinions are not facts.
post #23416 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
1800 a month for three? Dude, in my area that is nearly the rate for ONE infant.
post #23417 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
1800 a month for three? Dude, in my area that is nearly the rate for ONE infant.

Well from seeing pictures of your place and knowing where I live I'm not surprised by that!....lol

I live in a nice area but I'm a baller on a budget, Andrew you're just a baller....lol

22 grand a year for childcare is a lot of cash for me [emoji6]
dgage likes this.
post #23418 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I hear you. I am eventually going to add a 215RM. As suggested by Andrew I think I will use the ported monsters for near field.

More on the movies, WOTW for some reason just does not sound good for some reason, at least on what I have here now, It sounded fine before on my other set up. I know the bass is super deep, but the dialog is so soft, I would turn the volume up and then the bass would hit and it was just to much. Now with the Star Trek disc, it sounds great. Good dialog, good bass, sounds like I have separate subs. What I like is how the 215's just have a monstrous sound stage, the bass in your face is unreal. Also for the short clips I watched I felt the dynamics were close to the 212's with the edge to the 212's, but the trade off is a huge soundstage. I am really looking forward to getting these things straitened out. Good stuff here.
WOTW does have very deep bass. Could it be possible that there are room modes? I know that currently, there are room modes in my room, and that's why i turn the OS way down.

Also, I an option is to use the DSP modes on your receiver like THX Cinema Mode on the Onkyo (I find they sort of reduce the bass a little). So, for movies with excessive bass for my taste, this mode works perfectly, as opposed to playing the original content.

On another question, I hear a lot of people saying it's hard to integrate the 215s... since they are the most FULL RANGE speakers around (at least that i could find), why is that so hard to do? I mean, couldn't someone just set their receiver for the LCR to 'BIG' and 'No Subs' and be done with it? Or, am I missing something here?
post #23419 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Quote:
Well from seeing pictures of your place and knowing where I live I'm not surprised by that!....lol

I live in a nice area but I'm a baller on a budget, Andrew you're just a baller....lol

That's an insane amount of money. I think the average income for the middle class in my country is only USD 10K (annually)... But you can hire a full time live-in maid for USD 250/month.
post #23420 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I am really started to get this new set up dialed in (for music anyway) and it is incredibly dynamic. Running these 212HT's with full power is scary. The highs sound so good and you just keep turning it up but I need to be careful it is now dangerous, I mean it will hurt you in short order. I might be looking at even more absorption now. The S8's running on the Sunfire are falling behind a bit now, but I don't want to turn down the gain on the fronts because they are too much fun this way. Has anyone tried daisy chaining the channels on the Sunfire? I could at least get 3 more dB out of the rears.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #23421 of 31063 Old 09-19-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
ha, I pay 2000$ a month for our nanny for 1..... LOL

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #23422 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^^that's great... does your nanny have any advice on combining channels for the Sunfire TGA7400?
dgage, RMK! and beastaudio like this.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #23423 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
On another question, I hear a lot of people saying it's hard to integrate the 215s... since they are the most FULL RANGE speakers around (at least that i could find), why is that so hard to do? I mean, couldn't someone just set their receiver for the LCR to 'BIG' and 'No Subs' and be done with it? Or, am I missing something here?

I don't get it either. When I got home with mine it was after midnight I plopped them down so that the front baffles were in the same spot as my 212's were, hooked them up to my avr, set the avr to large no subs (no audyssey, MCACC or any crap like that) and boom - done. I sat there for 3 or 4 hours listening to music and absolutely loved it.

Sure it's better now that I have the inuke dsp to tweak the bass but IMO if you don't like the sound of the 215's hooked up to an avr with speakers set to large and no auto eq turned on then the 215's are not for you.
coolgeek likes this.
post #23424 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it getting the LFE back into the mains that is troubling people? Many avrs and pre pros have the double bass option which solves this though

post #23425 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Is it getting the LFE back into the mains that is troubling people? Many avrs and pre pros have the double bass option which solves this though
Someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong about this, but i don't think double bass will route the LFE channel's content to the mains. I think it only sends the content below the set crossover point to the mains.
post #23426 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I don't get it either. When I got home with mine it was after midnight I plopped them down so that the front baffles were in the same spot as my 212's were, hooked them up to my avr, set the avr to large no subs (no audyssey, MCACC or any crap like that) and boom - done. I sat there for 3 or 4 hours listening to music and absolutely loved it.

Sure it's better now that I have the inuke dsp to tweak the bass but IMO if you don't like the sound of the 215's hooked up to an ave with speakers set to large and no auto eq turned on then the 215's are not for you.
It is not the case with movies, it actually sounded horrible and there was nothing I could adjust to make it sound any better. I agree they are easy to set for music, but it is the bass in the movies that is the problem. I sat and listened to music the other night and love it. Like I said in another post, WOTW in DTSHDMSTR, seemed to be soft with the dialog and then deep LFE would hit and just over power everything. Now maybe something in Audyssey can fix this, but I have had Audyssey off. Now I put in Star Trek into Darkness which is in Dolby Digital and it sounded F'N excellent. Great dynamics, intense bass and the dialog was much clearer and visible. I actually ran the bass flat on that movie because it was loud and I tried to get a good balance. Considering everybody here seems to have different equipment could be the reason why some have it easier and some do not. I also just finally got wrapped up in Star Trek and just watched it, twice LOL. I also love what these speakers can do full range, it is like nothing I have heard before. Monstrous soundstage is the only words I can give.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-20-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #23427 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hardly a baller. Taking on just the one daycare payment meant quite a bit of change to lifestyle. This area is getting expensive! On the plus side, at least I'm not in the NYC area. My brother in law is shopping for daycares and the range is 1800-2700 a month for infants!
post #23428 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Hardly a baller. Taking on just the one daycare payment meant quite a bit of change to lifestyle. This area is getting expensive! On the plus side, at least I'm not in the NYC area. My brother in law is shopping for daycares and the range is 1800-2700 a month for infants!
I smell a business opportunity...
post #23429 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 770
A room full of infants? I'd say that business opportunity smells...
NWCgrad likes this.
post #23430 of 31063 Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I smell a business opportunity...
No way in heck I'd want any part of that opportunity, haha. I'd run far away.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page