Official JTR speaker thread - Page 781 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23401 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I just finished getting caught up after being away for about a week.

Let me chime in on my thoughts between the 212's and 215's.

Most folks on here know that I went from the 212HT's to the 215RT's/RM a few months ago.
At the time I purchased them, I was told that they were be a "significant" upgrade over the 212's for movies. Being that I am 100% movies and zero music, I was VERY excited about getting them into my room.

Once I did, I was missing aspects of my 212's and overall was disappointed in the jump between the two. I do think the 215's are a significant jump up when it comes to midbass over the 212's, but that is about it. Had I known all this, I would have stayed with my 212's and addressed the midbass issues in another way.

The 215's are definitely not a "plug in play" speaker. They need quite a bit of eq'ing and the right room setup. I was lacking the right room setup... I simply didn't have the first row back far enough. These speakers need, IMO, at least 10-12 feet to really do a good job. When I heard them that far back, they sounded drastically better.

It is interesting to read that Jeff has told folks the 212's are better for movies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23402 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 481
So crazy how different all of our perceptions can be - keeps the hobby interesting and frustrating at the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23403 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yeah at some point, I gotta get some other stuff done first and complete the room. I was excited to hear the 215's, but I want to get the work out of the way and then I play.

I know this it OT, but it has bass I have been thinking about a Mustang build and came across this. There is quite a few videos of this car, but man do I ever want a stang now. There is a black GT sitting at lot right now I have been drooling on. Hmmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1NNMLZIATg
One of my buddies that I went to high school with that I still hang out with were both into stereos (home and car) and cars growing up. We would put our equipment together and would DJ our high school dances. I had a Mustang GT as my first car when I turned 16 that I had saved for my whole life and bought with my own money. As we grew up he stayed with cars and not stereos and I stayed more with Stereo/HT and not so much cars. He just bought another Mustang GT (he has had several over the last ten years) and is already doing all kind of work on it. I don't keep up on cars much these days but he said he dynoed it about a month ago it was putting around 520 HP at the wheels. I drove it a couple of times and it sure is fun...and loud

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #23404 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Holy crap Dave I hope your dog is okay. That would stress me out.
+1000. My dog had some leg issue a few months ago where he could barely walk and I thought he might have needed to be put to sleep...luckily he has fully recovered. But I feel for you, if my dog gets put down, I'm going to be the little girl in the family.
NWCgrad and Black adder like this.
post #23405 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Yeah it is pretty sad, my wife is really upset over it. We are unable to touch her. I have had her up walking to go outside a couple of times but mostly she has been in her bed enjoying the drugs That is an improvement over last night as she was just screaming all night, I thought when I took her to the vet this morning they might put her down, it was that bad. But she is home safe now, doing a little better.

You may have yours by the time I get mine figured out . Problem around here is everybody makes it seem easy

Anyhoo, I have been out working on my mounts for the S8's. I have been at it awhile as I just cannot get the keyholes lined up. I have measured and measured and yet when I look at the screws they all seem to be short of the stops. Me and my daughter did a stencil with wax paper and I did a dot with a sharpie and then transferred the stencil to the back of the S8, but they still seem like they are all not on hitting the top of keyhole I am afraid they are going to come crashing down. I thought about doing two screws. I used 1/4 ply with 1" #12 screws. When I hold the S8 in the air it feels solid, but again the screws don't feel like they are lining up. What do you guys think.
Dave - photocopy the back of the speaker and use as a template to line up the keyholes.

And very sorry to hear about the dog, man. hope everything works out ok.

post #23406 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Dave that scream the Stang lets out at 1:07 is freakin awesome! I have to take my cat in for a shot was having random thoughts of potential problems you are now having. Some people don't care about pets but i'm super attached to mine. Would make me feel really bad.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #23407 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Dave - photocopy the back of the speaker and use as a template to line up the keyholes.

And very sorry to hear about the dog, man. hope everything works out ok.
I knew somebody would have a good idea. Like I said I used wax paper which was exactly 12" and transparent. The screws do line up and fit in the holes, but the all do not sit in the holes level. It is a real pita. I think I am just going to drill into them. Jeff has mounts on his site that get screwed into the speaker. I also figure, they are slanted 8's, they get mounted, if I ever sell them, I will sell them with the mounts. I don't ever plan on selling them, so I am at the point I don't care about screwing the mounts into the cabs.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #23408 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
One of my buddies that I went to high school with that I still hang out with were both into stereos (home and car) and cars growing up. We would put our equipment together and would DJ our high school dances. I had a Mustang GT as my first car when I turned 16 that I had saved for my whole life and bought with my own money. As we grew up he stayed with cars and not stereos and I stayed more with Stereo/HT and not so much cars. He just bought another Mustang GT (he has had several over the last ten years) and is already doing all kind of work on it. I don't keep up on cars much these days but he said he dynoed it about a month ago it was putting around 520 HP at the wheels. I drove it a couple of times and it sure is fun…and loud
I love it all. I have always loved my Ford Trucks, but I have always wanted a Mustang. My wife said I won't be comfortable in it, but it might be fun for a bit. I guess I can call it my mid life crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
+1000. My dog had some leg issue a few months ago where he could barely walk and I thought he might have needed to be put to sleep...luckily he has fully recovered. But I feel for you, if my dog gets put down, I'm going to be the little girl in the family.
Same here. We have 3 of them and the 2 little ones are like our kids. I was scared they were going to put her down today. She is still crying when she walks, but she is looking better. I would also be a mess if something happened, my wife even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Dave that scream the Stang lets out at 1:07 is freakin awesome! I have to take my cat in for a shot was having random thoughts of potential problems you are now having. Some people don't care about pets but i'm super attached to mine. Would make me feel really bad.
Like I said above our dogs are like kids, I would be devastated if anything happened to them as I am sure most pet owners would be as well.
NWCgrad likes this.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 06:04 AM.
post #23409 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Same here. We have 3 of them and the 2 little ones are like our kids. I was scared they were going to put her down today. She is still crying when she walks, but she is looking better. I would also be a mess if something happened, my wife even worse.
My dog was so bad that one night he was on the bed, he lifted his front legs, tried to move but couldn't move his back legs, so he just fell over on his side in a heap...I damn near lost it. But we stuck with him and like I said, full recovery. So keep the faith man!

Sorry for the off topic but this is the JTR thread.
post #23410 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
My dog was so bad that one night he was on the bed, he lifted his front legs, tried to move but couldn't move his back legs, so he just fell over on his side in a heap...I damn near lost it. But we stuck with him and like I said, full recovery. So keep the faith man!

Sorry for the off topic but this is the JTR thread.
It's my fault I have kinda clogged this thread up the past few days. Im sorry for that. But yeah, it's the JTR thread.

My System

post #23411 of 23416 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Just to add, Jeff was the first person to tell me that the 212's were more dynamic and would be better for movies. But yeah, user feedback is defiantly the real answer here. There is also a few other people that have the 215's and I have not seen or heard from them in awhile. Would like to hear from them also.
Is this due to the 212's higher sensitivity?
post #23412 of 23416 Old Today, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
It's my fault I have kinda clogged this thread up the past few days. Im sorry for that. But yeah, it's the JTR thread.
And its the reason why the JTR thread is hands down the best thread on AVS!

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #23413 of 23416 Old Today, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
So crazy how different all of our perceptions can be - keeps the hobby interesting and frustrating at the same time.
How far back is your first row?
post #23414 of 23416 Old Today, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I will answer for him, 10' If you meant Coach, I think he was 8'.

My System

post #23415 of 23416 Old Today, 07:29 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Reef,

I am anxiously following your adventures with the 215's as in a month I'll have mine. I think one good thing I have going for me is that I don't know what the 212's sound like so I have nothing to compare them to (even subconsciously) except the Mac's I currently have and I've gotta believe the 215's will blow them away. My plan is to insert them in place of the Mac's and change nothing else and see what they sound like that way....well I will run them 2 different ways....full range and x-over'd @ 80hz....just like I have now. When I run them full, my processor will route LFE and all bass below x-over to them. (the 215RT's). So that will be my plan and I'll go from there....and I also plan on buying an Omnimic as I have nothing now to tell me what's going on in my room. I'm really interested in FR and decay in my room.

Keep sharing.
Make sure to disengage any auto EQ when switching out...Audyssey, MCACC, or what have you. The filters for the Macs will be completely different than any other speaker.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #23416 of 23416 Old Today, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
My first row, reclined to normal listening position, is about 8.5-9 feet back.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page