post #23431 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Damn poppa bear, congrats. My youngest just started high school this year and my oldest graduated last year. Im feeling old.

LOL..... Thanks Dave! Not looking forward to the second mortgage payment called daycare when my wife goes back to work next September, can you believe it $1800 a month for three! [emoji54]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23432 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
LOL..... Thanks Dave! Not looking forward to the second mortgage payment called daycare when my wife goes back to work next September, can you believe it $1800 a month for three! [emoji54]
Oh I remember, mine were spread out a little, so not so bad for me, but I remember when they started school it was great to loose that payment. But count that as chump change, when they get older and want cars, college, trips to Disney, the list goes on.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23433 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
So how did you pull that off?? We're you the first 215 owner??
Yeah, I have been at or near the front of the line for several new JTR products. But it was hosting a GTG that brought Jeff out of his workshop lair. He loves to see peoples reactions to his products.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #23434 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
1800 a month for three? Dude, in my area that is nearly the rate for ONE infant.

post #23435 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
1800 a month for three? Dude, in my area that is nearly the rate for ONE infant.

Well from seeing pictures of your place and knowing where I live I'm not surprised by that!....lol

I live in a nice area but I'm a baller on a budget, Andrew you're just a baller....lol

22 grand a year for childcare is a lot of cash for me [emoji6]
dgage likes this.
post #23436 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Yeah I hear you. I am eventually going to add a 215RM. As suggested by Andrew I think I will use the ported monsters for near field.

More on the movies, WOTW for some reason just does not sound good for some reason, at least on what I have here now, It sounded fine before on my other set up. I know the bass is super deep, but the dialog is so soft, I would turn the volume up and then the bass would hit and it was just to much. Now with the Star Trek disc, it sounds great. Good dialog, good bass, sounds like I have separate subs. What I like is how the 215's just have a monstrous sound stage, the bass in your face is unreal. Also for the short clips I watched I felt the dynamics were close to the 212's with the edge to the 212's, but the trade off is a huge soundstage. I am really looking forward to getting these things straitened out. Good stuff here.
WOTW does have very deep bass. Could it be possible that there are room modes? I know that currently, there are room modes in my room, and that's why i turn the OS way down.

Also, I an option is to use the DSP modes on your receiver like THX Cinema Mode on the Onkyo (I find they sort of reduce the bass a little). So, for movies with excessive bass for my taste, this mode works perfectly, as opposed to playing the original content.

On another question, I hear a lot of people saying it's hard to integrate the 215s... since they are the most FULL RANGE speakers around (at least that i could find), why is that so hard to do? I mean, couldn't someone just set their receiver for the LCR to 'BIG' and 'No Subs' and be done with it? Or, am I missing something here?

post #23437 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Well from seeing pictures of your place and knowing where I live I'm not surprised by that!....lol

I live in a nice area but I'm a baller on a budget, Andrew you're just a baller....lol

That's an insane amount of money. I think the average income for the middle class in my country is only USD 10K (annually)... But you can hire a full time live-in maid for USD 250/month.

post #23438 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I am really started to get this new set up dialed in (for music anyway) and it is incredibly dynamic. Running these 212HT's with full power is scary. The highs sound so good and you just keep turning it up but I need to be careful it is now dangerous, I mean it will hurt you in short order. I might be looking at even more absorption now. The S8's running on the Sunfire are falling behind a bit now, but I don't want to turn down the gain on the fronts because they are too much fun this way. Has anyone tried daisy chaining the channels on the Sunfire? I could at least get 3 more dB out of the rears.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #23439 of 23458 Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
ha, I pay 2000$ a month for our nanny for 1..... LOL

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #23440 of 23458 Old Today, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

^^that's great... does your nanny have any advice on combining channels for the Sunfire TGA7400?
dgage, RMK! and beastaudio like this.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #23441 of 23458 Old Today, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
On another question, I hear a lot of people saying it's hard to integrate the 215s... since they are the most FULL RANGE speakers around (at least that i could find), why is that so hard to do? I mean, couldn't someone just set their receiver for the LCR to 'BIG' and 'No Subs' and be done with it? Or, am I missing something here?

I don't get it either. When I got home with mine it was after midnight I plopped them down so that the front baffles were in the same spot as my 212's were, hooked them up to my avr, set the avr to large no subs (no audyssey, MCACC or any crap like that) and boom - done. I sat there for 3 or 4 hours listening to music and absolutely loved it.

Sure it's better now that I have the inuke dsp to tweak the bass but IMO if you don't like the sound of the 215's hooked up to an avr with speakers set to large and no auto eq turned on then the 215's are not for you.
coolgeek likes this.

post #23442 of 23458 Old Today, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Is it getting the LFE back into the mains that is troubling people? Many avrs and pre pros have the double bass option which solves this though

post #23443 of 23458 Old Today, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Is it getting the LFE back into the mains that is troubling people? Many avrs and pre pros have the double bass option which solves this though
Someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong about this, but i don't think double bass will route the LFE channel's content to the mains. I think it only sends the content below the set crossover point to the mains.
post #23444 of 23458 Old Today, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I don't get it either. When I got home with mine it was after midnight I plopped them down so that the front baffles were in the same spot as my 212's were, hooked them up to my avr, set the avr to large no subs (no audyssey, MCACC or any crap like that) and boom - done. I sat there for 3 or 4 hours listening to music and absolutely loved it.

Sure it's better now that I have the inuke dsp to tweak the bass but IMO if you don't like the sound of the 215's hooked up to an ave with speakers set to large and no auto eq turned on then the 215's are not for you.
It is not the case with movies, it actually sounded horrible and there was nothing I could adjust to make it sound any better. I agree they are easy to set for music, but it is the bass in the movies that is the problem. I sat and listened to music the other night and love it. Like I said in another post, WOTW in DTSHDMSTR, seemed to be soft with the dialog and then deep LFE would hit and just over power everything. Now maybe something in Audyssey can fix this, but I have had Audyssey off. Now I put in Star Trek into Darkness which is in Dolby Digital and it sounded F'N excellent. Great dynamics, intense bass and the dialog was much clearer and visible. I actually ran the bass flat on that movie because it was loud and I tried to get a good balance. Considering everybody here seems to have different equipment could be the reason why some have it easier and some do not. I also just finally got wrapped up in Star Trek and just watched it, twice LOL. I also love what these speakers can do full range, it is like nothing I have heard before. Monstrous soundstage is the only words I can give.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 06:22 AM.
post #23445 of 23458 Old Today, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hardly a baller. Taking on just the one daycare payment meant quite a bit of change to lifestyle. This area is getting expensive! On the plus side, at least I'm not in the NYC area. My brother in law is shopping for daycares and the range is 1800-2700 a month for infants!

post #23446 of 23458 Old Today, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Hardly a baller. Taking on just the one daycare payment meant quite a bit of change to lifestyle. This area is getting expensive! On the plus side, at least I'm not in the NYC area. My brother in law is shopping for daycares and the range is 1800-2700 a month for infants!
I smell a business opportunity...

post #23447 of 23458 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 210
A room full of infants? I'd say that business opportunity smells...
NWCgrad likes this.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #23448 of 23458 Old Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
I smell a business opportunity...
No way in heck I'd want any part of that opportunity, haha. I'd run far away.

post #23449 of 23458 Old Today, 08:21 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
^^that's great... does your nanny have any advice on combining channels for the Sunfire TGA7400?
Yes, I spoke to his nanny and she said that the Sunfire Users Manual says :

Quote:
The second RCA input can be used as a daisy-chaining output, sending the preamplifier output signal to another channel or to another amplifier.
There is a drawing in the Manual of an RCA jumper being used.
dgage likes this.

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 08:53 AM.
post #23450 of 23458 Old Today, 08:34 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
It is not the case with movies, it actually sounded horrible and there was nothing I could adjust to make it sound any better. I agree they are easy to set for music, but it is the bass in the movies that is the problem. I sat and listened to music the other night and love it. Like I said in another post, WOTW in DTSHDMSTR, seemed to be soft with the dialog and then deep LFE would hit and just over power everything. Now maybe something in Audyssey can fix this, but I have had Audyssey off. Now I put in Star Trek into Darkness which is in Dolby Digital and it sounded F'N excellent. Great dynamics, intense bass and the dialog was much clearer and visible. I actually ran the bass flat on that movie because it was loud and I tried to get a good balance. Considering everybody here seems to have different equipment could be the reason why some have it easier and some do not. I also just finally got wrapped up in Star Trek and just watched it, twice LOL. I also love what these speakers can do full range, it is like nothing I have heard before. Monstrous soundstage is the only words I can give.
It's strange that you are having this audio performance delta between films and you say the music sounds right . The thing I love about the 215's is that the bass just sounds right. No distortion and no ringing or overhang. Just powerful bass that is there ... and then it isn't as appropriate. The Orbit Shifters were great subs but I like the 215 bass SQ better.

Now that IB setup I heard at zacjones's theater was the best bass I have heard anywhere. I think Zac was both smart and lucky as he did a lot of experimentation and measuring BEFORE finally locating the subs and the stars lined up perfectly on that complicated setup. There is an element of luck in getting great HT sound and I know I was lucky too (room size/shape).

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 08:38 AM.
post #23451 of 23458 Old Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No way in heck I'd want any part of that opportunity, haha. I'd run far away.
Your not kidding. However when I was married to my first wife, she went to school for a teaching degree and we talked about building a daycare school on our property. It was zoned commercial and we had like 4 acres. I told her I would handle the building, but wanted no PART of the kids. Never worked out, neither did we

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
It's strange that you are having this audio performance delta between films and you say the music sounds right . The thing I love about the 215's is that the bass just sounds right. No over blown and no ringing or overhang. Just powerful bass that is there then it isn't as appropriate. The Orbit Shifters were great subs but I like the 215 bass better.

Now that IB setup I heard at zacjones's theater was the best bass I have heard anywhere. I think Zac was both smart and lucky as he did a lot of experimentation and measuring BEFORE finally locating the subs and the stars lined up perfectly on the complicated setup. There is an element of luck in getting great HT sound and I know I was lucky too (room size/shape).
I was chatting with Zac the other day, interesting set up indeed. That guy has some downright skillzzzz.

Let me be honest. I am having set up issues, so nobody should hold anything I have to say to any validity. I am getting closer, but having be the first time I have ever used a pro amp and knowing nothing about them is a leaning curve.

My System

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 08:45 AM.
post #23452 of 23458 Old Today, 08:56 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Let me be honest. I am having set up issues, so nobody should hold anything I have to say to any validity.
Gottcha ...

post #23453 of 23458 Old Today, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Keep at it Dave, seems like it should be easy...but if your like me there are always glitches no one has had before.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #23454 of 23458 Old Today, 09:43 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
War of the Worlds
That's what I figured. I had just previously seen it labeled as WotW, not WOW. I thought maybe Dave meant the Disney WOW disc and I was pretty concerned that he was using that for listening impressions....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #23455 of 23458 Old Today, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Someone can definitely correct me if I'm wrong about this, but i don't think double bass will route the LFE channel's content to the mains. I think it only sends the content below the set crossover point to the mains.
I think you are correct with that
post #23456 of 23458 Old Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
I think the terminology and implementation can vary between receivers.

Also, time alignment/phase and EQ can make or break you.

I got some XLR 10 db attenuators from Parts Express in. I'm looking forward to taking some new measurements with the different amp and with/without the attenuators to see what changes.

Once that's established, I'm going to get the sliders out and try some different arrangements.

post #23457 of 23458 Old Today, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Sure it's better now that I have the inuke dsp to tweak the bass but IMO if you don't like the sound of the 215's hooked up to an avr with speakers set to large and no auto eq turned on then the 215's are not for you.
I pretty much hooked up my 212s and went and other than my previously mentioned lack of midbass on the sealed HT-LP (measurements coming we I borrow Coach's Cat12s), I absolutely loved them out of the box, no tweaking. When Coach first hooked up the 215RTs and RM, we did not have the same experience you did. No Audyssey or anything else, coming out of his Denon 4520 to Sunfire 800w/ch amp. The 215 was more laid back regardless of seating distance and I didn't like the upper end as much as I did the 212. Coach's calibrator did a number on the 215s and they became really, really nice after that but out of the box...nope, nada. Once again shows that speakers are affected by rooms and individual ears. One size does not fit all.

But glad you are so pleased with yours. That's awesome.
post #23458 of 23458 Old Today, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Interesting Reef on a number of fronts. I think Coach would say the same as I, that the bass on the 215s was surprisingly easy to integrate with his 8 SI HT18 subs. So as others said, keep at it as it will be worth it. But this is also why I've said in the past that the 215 is likely not a plug and play solution for some (not all) rooms.

Interesting about your comment about soft dialog...Coach had the same comment and besides size is the other primary reason he probably chose the Cat12s over the 215s.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page