Official JTR speaker thread - Page 784 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #23491 of 23502 Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I saw it at my parents house at -20dB on a 42' flat panel tv with the tv speakers. I didn't think the bass was that great.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23492 of 23502 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I picked it up but have been unable to watch it. I heard it was a flop in the bass dept. I have to catch up I still have to watch CATWS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
A flop? I thought it was pretty killer actually. Not very low but it definitely had some output. My quads got a hell of a work out.
Well they consider a flop if it doesn't have the ultra low bass. I certainly don't agree. I would ask...If you absolutely had to choose when building your dream room between 35hz up bass(35-80) or 35hz and below bass what would you choose? It has to be one section. The answer is obvious. So for these guys to call a ridiculous bass heavy movie a flop because it doesn't have the low end is...IMO...Now I do believe in the low stuff. I am flat to 8hz at my MLP and have examined the whole debate of chasing the low end. I have a very modest setup (2x 2400 Submersives) but sit pretty close and get great room gain. I feel it adds to the experience and is definitely better with it there. It's more realistic when an explosion or thundering something happens to have the un-hearable but feel-able bass supporting and providing a nice foundation for the bass we can hear. But I wouldn't call Pacific rim a flop, just lacking on the low low end is all.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23493 of 23502 Old Today, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Had Sunday off from work. Finally! Anyway had some time to position the speakers. The four slanted 8 has been up two weeks ago. But did not have the chance to even play with them. I've been so busy with work. My amps has been in but hadn't have a chance to picked them up. So probably Tuesday. Speaking of amps.. My local Berhinger dealer made a mistake on my order. I pre paid for 2 inukes 6000 dsp. But instead, 1 6000dsp and 1 3000dsp arrived. And since all the 6000 which was a on backed ordered all fulfilled. I would have to wait another 2 weeks. Yea, I was kinda pissed. So he called his Berhinger rep about it. And sent a 12000 dsp instead. And we made a deal. So I just owe 118$ more. So I guess that means I'm getting the 12000 dsp for 518$? Oh, well amp is a amp. Just be happy.
Anyway, today I just plugged in the speakers straight from the Pio sc-09. Turned off the quad S2's. Set the LCR's large. And "wow"! Amazing! I don't know what everyone mean bout laid back? But I guess I would never know. Because for me, from def tech Mythos ST to JTR 215's? That's a big improvement in soundstage and sq. meaning I never had the chance to go through the ladder of JTR lineup like most here. This speaker has lots of great bass. Though I'd still want my quad S2's on for deep diggin movies. But all what I was expectng in a full range speaker for 2 channel exceeded my expectations. Now remember now, these thoughts are just plug and play straight from the avr. Next weekend is when I start hooking up the inukes, run REW, and calibrate.
Btw, I'm in the market for a good PJ right now. Probably towards the end of the year. And a screen to drap over my 70" Elite led when time for movies. I'm gonna use the Elite for games a general viewing. So
my dual DIY FTW 21 build is gonna have to wait.. Lol. I need to upgrade my display. Besides, I think I should have enough bass for now.. Lol. Any thoughts on the jvc dla-x500r ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	274498
Frohlich and RMK! like this.
post #23494 of 23502 Old Today, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 215
@rhed

I've been doing the screen hunt for months. I'm going electric over my plasma like you and have decided on the Seymour AT electric screen. Great pricing.

I also have the JVC 4910, but can't say anything about it since it's been in a box the past 7 months.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #23495 of 23502 Old Today, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
I had read that too. That's probably why I was pleasantly surprised. lol
Like anything else you have to experience it for yourself. Early reports were Oblivion was lacking bass and we know how that turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Had Sunday off from work. Finally! Anyway had some time to position the speakers. The four slanted 8 has been up two weeks ago. But did not have the chance to even play with them. I've been so busy with work. My amps has been in but hadn't have a chance to picked them up. So probably Tuesday. Speaking of amps.. My local Berhinger dealer made a mistake on my order. I pre paid for 2 inukes 6000 dsp. But instead, 1 6000dsp and 1 3000dsp arrived. And since all the 6000 which was a on backed ordered all fulfilled. I would have to wait another 2 weeks. Yea, I was kinda pissed. So he called his Berhinger rep about it. And sent a 12000 dsp instead. And we made a deal. So I just owe 118$ more. So I guess that means I'm getting the 12000 dsp for 518$? Oh, well amp is a amp. Just be happy.
Anyway, today I just plugged in the speakers straight from the Pio sc-09. Turned off the quad S2's. Set the LCR's large. And "wow"! Amazing! I don't know what everyone mean bout laid back? But I guess I would never know. Because for me, from def tech Mythos ST to JTR 215's? That's a big improvement in soundstage and sq. meaning I never had the chance to go through the ladder of JTR lineup like most here. This speaker has lots of great bass. Though I'd still want my quad S2's on for deep diggin movies. But all what I was expectng in a full range speaker for 2 channel exceeded my expectations. Now remember now, these thoughts are just plug and play straight from the avr. Next weekend is when I start hooking up the inukes, run REW, and calibrate.
Btw, I'm in the market for a good PJ right now. Probably towards the end of the year. And a screen to drap over my 70" Elite led when time for movies. I'm gonna use the Elite for games a general viewing. So
my dual DIY FTW 21 build is gonna have to wait.. Lol. I need to upgrade my display. Besides, I think I should have enough bass for now.. Lol. Any thoughts on the jvc dla-x500r ?

Attachment 274498
That is great man. Good to finally hear from you. I am using the 3K dsp right now, but my second 6Kdsp just arrived on Saturday, so I am going to switch it out. I have a pair of 6Kdsps because I have a pair of subs coming next weekend. That 12K should give plenty of headroom for the 215's LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Well they consider a flop if it doesn't have the ultra low bass. I certainly don't agree. I would ask...If you absolutely had to choose when building your dream room between 35hz up bass(35-80) or 35hz and below bass what would you choose? It has to be one section. The answer is obvious. So for these guys to call a ridiculous bass heavy movie a flop because it doesn't have the low end is...IMO...Now I do believe in the low stuff. I am flat to 8hz at my MLP and have examined the whole debate of chasing the low end. I have a very modest setup (2x 2400 Submersives) but sit pretty close and get great room gain. I feel it adds to the experience and is definitely better with it there. It's more realistic when an explosion or thundering something happens to have the un-hearable but feel-able bass supporting and providing a nice foundation for the bass we can hear. But I wouldn't call Pacific rim a flop, just lacking on the low low end is all.
I was watching STITD which some considered a flop, but on my 215's the bass was incredible. Nube over at Databass explains the bass pretty well as he does with every movie. As he mentioned the Ported guys probably loved this movie as it was loud bass. I myself thought that Pacific Rim was a let down and people came to it's defense. As you said, it is all subjective and a matter of what you like

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...scussion-poll/

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 06:31 AM.
post #23496 of 23502 Old Today, 07:19 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Having spent a lot on a top of the line (at the time) JVC ... having it calibrated and then replacing it with a mid line Sony that out of the box looked as good if not better to me, I'd recommend the Sony VPL-HW55ES. IMO, It is a good value and based upon guaranteed technological obsolescence, there is no need to spend more.

The Seymour AV powered AT screens are the best regardless of price.

Quote:

Attachment 274498

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #23497 of 23502 Old Today, 07:24 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
So

Attachment 274498
I think youll be just fine without the 21's... I have the 4910 and it is just absolutely gorgeous 138" 16:9 screen and looks fantastic

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #23498 of 23502 Old Today, 07:25 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
"Nice workout for the LFE channel". Hehe, that's funny!

Subtle JTR 215 humor...nice!
I know the concept of a true full range speaker alludes you and with your little band limited mains coming your head will remain firmly implanted in the sand. Perhaps someday soon you will be enlightened.
Gooddoc likes this.

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 07:49 AM.
post #23499 of 23502 Old Today, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I rearranged the speakers and subs last night. Getting better.
The 212s are now in the corners, and the subs are in 1/4 3/4 positions.
This is with no EQ, room correction, or sub gain.

The 10 db XLR inline attenuators on worked nicely for the 212s.
My pre-amp auto-calibration put the center at -11 db after the attenuator.
Fits like a glove inside the -12 db limit.

The 200 hz dip has been really reduced with the new placement, but it's still there.
Previously, it was an 18 db dip, starting at 650 hz.
Now, it's an 8 db dip, starting at 200 hz.

It might be a floor reflection that's no longer getting reinforced by the side walls.

Still a bit odd, since I wasn't getting that with the Triads.
Maybe they have tighter vertical directivity?
Perhaps the difference between a 250hz vs 400hz midrange crossover?

I need to throw a panel underneath one, to see if it makes a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	212.png
Views:	7
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	274617  

Last edited by rcohen; Today at 07:35 AM.
post #23500 of 23502 Old Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 881
@rhed , I have a JVC RS45 and love it. I've seen the VPL-HW55ES and for me I'd say go with the JVC X500R. IMHO I thought it had a nicer picture over the Sony, but as others have said before if you're big into gaming at all you might want to go with the Sony.
post #23501 of 23502 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I know the concept of a true full range speaker alludes you and with your little band limited mains coming your head will remain firmly implanted in the sand. Perhaps someday soon you will be enlightened.
Hehe! Aren't those coffins you call speakers tuned to 17 Hz? My band limited mains are only rated to 20 Hz, but I prefer to have true full range reproduction for HT down to 5 Hz, so even if I put in several of those walk-in closets you guys call speakers, I'd still need real subs

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #23502 of 23502 Old Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
My Triple8HT's are still rocking the front soundstage. Curious on trying out different surrounds. I have two pairs of JBL 8340A's for the side and rears. I searched through the thread to see if anyone mentioned pairing up the QSC pro line of cinema speakers with the JTR's? I was specifically looking at QSC SR-8101 surrounds or more likely the SR-8200's:

http://qsc.com/products/loudspeakers/sr_series/SR-8101/

http://qsc.com/files/3013/7910/5806/...Spec_Sheet.pdf

Not totally unhappy with the JBL's....just have a little bit of a wandering eye . This is unless someone wants to sell me their gently used Slant 8's ???

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator

Last edited by rboster; Today at 08:43 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page