AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
....and the days go by.... no response.

Is there a secret code? Do I need to "know a guy who knows a guy"?
I don't know anybody. But you might want to try this...
http://youtu.be/u-d0m8W1XEk" target="_blank">Learn Super Cool "Secret" Handshake: http://youtu.be/u-d0m8W1XEk
;

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23552 of 23572 Unread Today, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Call...always call Jeff has a history of not being on top of e-mail...keep in mind he is a one man show. I have bought several items from him over the last couple of years and I usually will call and if he doesn't answer, I call him back later in the day. Seems to work pretty well. On the flip side, he still hasn't answered my e-mail from 1997
+1

That's how I placed my order. It took a couple of days but he did call me back. Super nice guy.

Nabs17
post #23553 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:02 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Why? If Disney disc uses a -20dB tone, then it will all be eqaul. AVR's and Audyssey use a -30dB tone. Same calibration.

But music is not mastered with the same consistency as cinema, so SPL at any particular MV number will vary by CD or song.
Yup, I use the Integra test tones and they are 75db @0MV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #23554 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
^^You have the first invite once they're setup. But only under the condition that you let me know as soon as I can get over to listen to the 215's .
Anytime. I really have got to get things finished up first. I should be all caught up in about 2 weeks.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #23555 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Yup, I use the Integra test tones and they are 75db @0MV.

Which is exactly what I was trying to say, so Rob when you have your volume at 0 its basically 75dB and I use 85dB as reference so if I have my volume at say -10 that would be the same as your having your volume at 0 correct?

So if I'm listening at -10 should I consider this reference?
post #23556 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
A television in the bedroom? Didn't you just get married?

And people think I'm old ...
lol Actually it mostly that because of the market and plasma TV's not being made anymore I don't want to get rid of it. I love this TV and the picture is just ridiculous with a 6 million to 1 contrast ratio and black levels are almost perfect. So it's a way to keep it really. Perhaps a dark scary movie will be watched in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post
Home video??
Bill! Wasn't sure if you were on AVS still. Good to see you here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
you have not fully experienced the 212HT's until you run 2000 watts through them! At +10dB there is a noticeable improvement over the 600 watts the Sunfire was throwing at them. Even when you turn the bass down on the subs you can feel the 80-125hz stuff just slamming into you from the 212HT's and the highs stay smoother and less strained. The XMC-1 plays very nicely with the lab and it is amazing but even at +35dB gain setting you can only hear the slightest of hiss with your ear right on the speaker, even 1 ft back and I cannot hear it. I have it set now at +32dB gain so that -18 on the MV is 85dB with a -20dB test tone in REW, so basically -18MV is reference.

Ok so after all of that drag racing stuff had a chance to really listen at moderate levels and my impression is the integration of the subs is improved with better delay control on the third sub. It measures better in more spots around the room too. The XMC-1/LG/212HT combo so far is a winner for me. Now just waiting for Dirac which may be icing on the cake!

Here is the 212HT by itself and then a shot of 500hz and down with the OS's added.
Very nice!

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #23557 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Why? If Disney disc uses a -20dB tone, then it will all be eqaul. AVR's and Audyssey use a -30dB tone. Same calibration.

But music is not mastered with the same consistency as cinema, so SPL at any particular MV number will vary by CD or song.

That's what I'm saying, they do not use a -20 db test tone. It tells you right on the screen to calibrate to 83 db's for the speakers at the main LP and 86 db's for the sub.

So, you would think it would equal an Audyssey calibration or at least be 2 db's different but it's not. If memory serves it's a full 5 or 6 db's SOFTER than an Audyssey calibration. Very frustrating. In fact for a long time I didn't know what calibration was correct because none of the ways you could calibrate matched up.

MCACC did not match AVIA which did not match WOW.

Finally I tried out an AVR with Audyssey and it matched AVIA perfectly so that's the disk (AVIA) I use now to calibrate.

post #23558 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:40 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Which is exactly what I was trying to say, so Rob when you have your volume at 0 its basically 75dB and I use 85dB as reference so if I have my volume at say -10 that would be the same as your having your volume at 0 correct?

Well, depends on the source. I use the Integra test tones and they are -30db or 75db for theoretical reference (which for me is 0 MV) . If you set you levels based upon another source then theoretical reference could be -10db.

I like to keep things as simple as possible and use the included test tones in the Integra. I guess I could confirm the accuracy of the Integra tones with another source like the WOW disk but is really doesn't matter that much to me ...

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #23559 of 23572 Unread Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Yikes. Very confusing up there.

Reference has only one calibration. It is either 85 dB at 0 MV using a -20 dBFS test tone or 75 dB at 0 MV using a -30 dBFS test tone. They are the EXACT same calibration. Any deviation from that is NOT reference.

When volume is at 0 with either of those calibrations and a 0 dBFS test tone is played they will BOTH read 105 dB.

That make sense? Anything else is not reference and you can't call it reference. If you do you confuse people terribly
lbrown105 likes this.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23560 of 23572 Unread Today, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
+1

That's how I placed my order. It took a couple of days but he did call me back. Super nice guy.
Yeah--I guess I thought it would be easier to deal with the who/what/when/how many particulars in writing.....I'll call instead!
post #23561 of 23572 Unread Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yikes. Very confusing up there.

Reference has only one calibration. It is either 85 dB at 0 MV using a -20 dBFS test tone or 75 dB at 0 MV using a -30 dBFS test tone. They are the EXACT same calibration. Any deviation from that is NOT reference.

When volume is at 0 with either of those calibrations and a 0 dBFS test tone is played they will BOTH read 105 dB.

That make sense? Anything else is not reference and you can't call it reference. If you do you confuse people terribly

That does, thanks for posting that.
post #23562 of 23572 Unread Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
That's what I'm saying, they do not use a -20 db test tone. It tells you right on the screen to calibrate to 83 db's for the speakers at the main LP and 86 db's for the sub
Hmmm. Dunno?

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23563 of 23572 Unread Today, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Yep. When it's so clean only experience(prior ear ringing) tells you its too loud. It's like a good whiskey. You usually find out too late that you've had too much .

Oh...
I couldn't find the "You suck!" button so I settled for "Like". I'm happy for you, jealous...but happy for you! Have fun and I hope they meet all your expectations and more!
post #23564 of 23572 Unread Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah--I guess I thought it would be easier to deal with the who/what/when/how many particulars in writing.....I'll call instead!
That would be the best way.....especially if you're ready to place an order. I called him and waited a few days and was going to call back the same day he called me but I'll suggest to you (as did Frohlich) to call multiple times if you don't reach him because he is a one man shop and I'm sure it's difficult to keep up with calls and e-mails. Once you do get him, you'll see how nice of a guy he and how passionate he is about his work. He'll tell you everything you need to know and answer any question you have. Once you order is placed he'll send you an invoice then you'll be in waiting mode. He'll tell you that you're looking at ~ a month to get delivery.

So since you're ready to purchase 9 speakers...do you mind sharing which ones you're wanting...would love to know? Whatever it is...it'll be a nice JTR set-up for sure.

Nabs17
post #23565 of 23572 Unread Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Always leave a message when calling Jeff too.
post #23566 of 23572 Unread Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 113
0 on a pre amp / AVR should be reference.

Most internal test tones of a receiver / Pre-Amp's are at 75dB.

Some external test tones from test disks, are at 85 dB.

Make sure you know what the original source is first and match it to that.

post #23567 of 23572 Unread Today, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
...So since you're ready to purchase 9 speakers...do you mind sharing which ones you're wanting...would love to know? Whatever it is...it'll be a nice JTR set-up for sure.
Looking at:
3 x 212HTs
2 x Captivator S2s
4 x 8HT-lps

Frohlich and countryWV like this.

...just my $.02 - GST included.
post #23568 of 23572 Unread Today, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 91
That is an enviable system! When I heard @carp s 212's I thought they sounded great.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #23569 of 23572 Unread Today, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Looking at:
3 x 212HTs
2 x Captivator S2s
4 x 8HT-lps

Very, very nice.

Nabs17
post #23570 of 23572 Unread Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looking at:
3 x 212HTs
2 x Captivator S2s
4 x 8HT-lps

That's going to be a kick @ss setup, but after taxes, shipping and exchange rate even with the discount you're going to be at 19grand

I would guess that cross boarder shipping with brokerage fees you're probably looking at close to a grand to ship all of that stuff too.

Last edited by jbrown15; Today at 02:18 PM.
post #23571 of 23572 Unread Today, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Looking at:
3 x 212HTs
2 x Captivator S2s
4 x 8HT-lps

That is almost a photocopy of my set-up...hope you enjoy the heck out of it

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #23572 of 23572 Unread Today, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I couldn't find the "You suck!" button so I settled for "Like". I'm happy for you, jealous...but happy for you! Have fun and I hope they meet all your expectations and more!
Hehe! Good one!

I sent them back though since there was a dent in the box in the corner(you can see it in the pic!)

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com