post #23881 of 23890 Old Today, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
It's the lower costing 212 with the 228 CD (two way). Bringing a lower costing entry point.

Really? So it uses the 12" drivers from the 212's but the compression driver from the 228's? Seems strange considering the 228HT's are already $1299ea.

I can see all of the posts now, "should I buy 228HT's or 212TT's for $_____ more".......lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23882 of 23890 Old Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
It's the lower costing 212 with the 228 CD (two way). Bringing a lower costing entry point.
What the heck is Jeff thinking??? We want MOAR!!! Give us a 218RT or 221RT

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23883 of 23890 Old Today, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
DSP on top of DSP ...
Almost all commercial subs have DSP. People still correct them for the room response. Many with active crossovers will correct first for an even sound power response close mic and then a smooth frequency response at the listening position.

I read that Mark disabled the DSP on his subs for integration in TheBland's room and only used Dirac Live.

Changing the volume is DSP. People change the trim levels and then change the volume. That is DSP on top of DSP.

Last edited by desertdome; Today at 03:32 PM. Reason: I was reading from my last read post and missed all the other comments. Sorry for the redundancy. :)
post #23884 of 23890 Old Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Really? So it uses the 12" drivers from the 212's but the compression driver from the 228's? Seems strange considering the 228HT's are already $1299ea.

I can see all of the posts now, "should I buy 228HT's or 212TT's for $_____ more".......lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
What the heck is Jeff thinking??? We want MOAR!!! Give us a 218RT or 221RT
From Jeff on Facebook: "Close but no it doesn't use the same cd as the 228. TT= two-way, theater."

I guess that means it's not a tower, but a monitor with a lower f3. Maybe down to the 30hz-40hz range.

David Budo

Last edited by Dbuudo07; Today at 03:56 PM.
post #23885 of 23890 Old Today, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Should I buy the 228HT or the 212TT for X more?

post #23886 of 23890 Old Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 676
@jparker36
movies primarily = 228HT - - because with DD or DTS movie tracks, or quality digital tracks you'll be hard pressed (if not impossible) to tell the difference (in my experience)
music primarily = 212HT - - because it has a larger, more enjoyable soundstage for 2 channel use.

EDIT!!!
212TT -- what the? got me all confused - ignore my previous response. I hadn't caught yet it wasn't a typo or read the last page or so to see Jeff has a new speaker.

THOUGH??? maybe the same would apply - so I won't delete it.

The compression driver is better on the 212HT than the 228HT - but I found with more modern music recorded at high bit rates, or loseless tracks I didn't notice much - and the key difference was in the soundstage. With older music, or music not compressed at a higher bit rate I thought the 212HT's compression driver shone more with that. Maybe placebo, maybe bias -- who knows. But the 212TT - might give the larger soundstage of the 212HT - at some cost savings!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Archaea; Today at 04:08 PM.
post #23887 of 23890 Old Today, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It'll be priced between the two. Something like 1799 or 1899. There's a big gap between the two and this will fill that.
post #23888 of 23890 Old Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@jparker36
movies primarily = 228HT - - because with DD or DTS movie tracks, or quality digital tracks you'll be hard pressed (if not impossible) to tell the difference (in my experience)
music primarily = 212HT - - because it has a larger, more enjoyable soundstage for 2 channel use.
He was talking about the new 212TT....and actually making a joke about a post a few above his. You sell your 228s and lose all touch of JTR fever!!!!

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #23889 of 23890 Old Today, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Almost all commercial subs have DSP. People still correct them for the room response. Many with active crossovers will correct first for an even sound power response close mic and then a smooth frequency response at the listening position.

I read that Mark disabled the DSP on his subs for integration in TheBland's room and only used Dirac Live.

Changing the volume is DSP. People change the trim levels and then change the volume. That is DSP on top of DSP.
Carl was confused in his statement. The SubMersive's in thebland's room were the same as any other SubMersive. He must have been referring to the 2 channel QSC DSP-30 that was previously in the system that I had used to make sure the front/rear subs could blend together before calibration. Had we not run out of time, I would have put it back in and let Dirac handle just 1 subwoofer output as I got a much better seat-seat response than Dirac did the way it was run. I suspect it would have been better if it was measured from all seats, but the HF might have also not been as good at the main seats. This was more a limitation of how the RS20i allows subwoofer routing vs Dirac correction rather than any issue with Dirac.

A couple layers of DSP is always a bad thing, and if it's inserted where there isn't need or an additional analog-digital conversion, I wouldn't really worry about it so long as each step has a worthwhile purpose.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #23890 of 23890 Old Today, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post
Should I buy the 228HT or the 212TT for X more?

There are quite a few sellers right now for the 212s. I would jump on them. 7 Channel might still have his.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page