Forum Jump: 
post #23911 of 23936 Old Today, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Official JTR speaker thread

Dgage I really think your perception of what guys think of you is really just in your head. All you've done is speaker about your real experiences with your speakers. I'm not really shocked by your finding though, the things you are finding out about the LP versions is what I assumed all along about the sealed 212's.

Last edited by jbrown15; Today at 11:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23912 of 23936 Old Today, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Part of why I'm posting this is the JTR Noesis 212 has gotten so much positive attention and I want people to know that the HT-LP sealed version isn't the same as the ported HT that most everyone on here talks about and has. If I had read about my concerns when I was deciding on which JTR speaker, I would have purchased the ported 212 and likely have been happy. That is all I am hoping to do with my posts...educate others so they have more information to make the best decision for themselves.
Well I'm an 'engineering type' as well but it seemed to me you were bordering on paralysis by analysis but maybe not. To be honest the difference between the sealed and vented has been well known since the sealed Triple 12 came out and was again brought up many times when the Noesis came out. If you missed it that really sucks but it's reality. I agree that Jeff should change the description of the lower f3 if your response isn't something wrong with your particular set.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23913 of 23936 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyguy View Post
Well I'm an 'engineering type' as well but it seemed to me you were bordering on paralysis by analysis but maybe not. To be honest the difference between the sealed and vented has been well known since the sealed Triple 12 came out and was again brought up many times when the Noesis came out. If you missed it that really sucks but it's reality. I agree that Jeff should change the description of the lower f3 if your response isn't something wrong with your particular set.
There has been some paralysis as I didn't have confidence in my MiniDSP UMIK-1 and everytime I posted measurements, I was told it had to be a room mode or some other issue as the 212s have plenty of midbass. Now that I have better measuring equipment, I have confidence in my findings. Further, my measurements match almost exactly to measurements dlbeck took in his room of his 212 sealed.

Apparently I got on the JTR train after the discussions of the sealed Triple 12s...unfortunate. But that is really my primary motivation with my posts, make sure others have more information and don't make the same mistake I did. The JTR 212 speakers are very popular, but that really seems to be the ported, and I just want to make sure people realize the ported is more different from the sealed than posted specs would indicate.
post #23914 of 23936 Old Today, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Dgage I really think your perception of what guys think of you is really just in your head. All you've done is speaker about your real experiences with your speakers. I'm not really shocked by your finding though, the things you are finding out about the LP versions is what I assumed all along about the sealed 212's.
True but the JTR thread is also a club and people in general don't like others bad-mouthing something they own or like. Think about it, someone can come in here and say they heard the JTRs and they are awesome speakers and get plenty of likes. Someone posts something negative and there is a completely different response. That is not me thinking it's in my head, its human nature.
post #23915 of 23936 Old Today, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Dgage you probably already posted about it but I must have missed it: what happens when you eq the crap out of the midbass? Still no good?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23916 of 23936 Old Today, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Dgage you probably already posted about it but I must have missed it: what happens when you eq the crap out of the midbass? Still no good?
He hasn't tried...that's the issue.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:

post #23917 of 23936 Old Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
True but the JTR thread is also a club and people in general don't like others bad-mouthing something they own or like. Think about it, someone can come in here and say they heard the JTRs and they are awesome speakers and get plenty of likes. Someone posts something negative and there is a completely different response. That is not me thinking it's in my head, its human nature.

I think most of us have pretty thick skins and have been around the hobby long enough to know how subjective it all is. There are plenty of guys that hang around here that have moved on from JTR to something they like better and the fan boys like me don't care at all.

Look on the bright side - you have found a speaker that you love for it's mid range and highs and you prefer those to some pretty incredible speakers that you have compared to it. If all you are missing is mid-bass then it's something that can be taken care of by building or buying an mbm of some kind. I know that's frustrating because you wanted the sealed 212 to have everything you wanted all in one package - I get that - but maybe the speaker with the same highs, mids, and the mid-bass you like doesn't exist so using the sealed 212's with an MBM(s) is really the only way to get you everything you want??
dgage likes this.

post #23918 of 23936 Old Today, 12:17 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
There are plenty of guys that hang around here that have moved on from JTR to something they like better and the fan boys like me don't care at all.
You don't care about me at all anymore? Fine... (Gratuitous need for a totally joking)

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #23919 of 23936 Old Today, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Updates on the 212TT Jeff is working on. From Facebook:

+/- 3db 60hz-20khz
Sensitivity 101db/1w
2kw program
4 ohm
2-way
600hz crossover
ID $1799.
Same weight and dimensions as 212HT.
Has a wooden horn that is 60x60 coverage.
post #23920 of 23936 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Jeff is still working with me to figure out what going on with my JTR 215RT's

post #23921 of 23936 Old Today, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I haven't played with my system in months as I was really frustrated with it and can't wait to get to it this week for two reasons. 1. I now know where to focus my efforts. 2. I bought ChopShop's projector and I need my sound system in order so I can enjoy some movies again.

Now, last time, I was working on my room, I was primarily focused on increasing the subs and trying to get them to handle more midbass but I didn't like the results...but part of that might have been some misunderstanding of how my PT-7030 preamp routes bass. I think I tried EQing the 212s with the NanoAVR but I couldn't get them to do much...I mean, I could barely get the 12" moving...I want to see those boys jump some. I have borrowed a iNuke NU-6000 so I have plenty of power to get their attention now.

But I'll report as soon as I get a chance away from work this week to focus on the 212s. Having fun on conference calls right now, except I just got a fairly big job thrown on my plate...ugh!
post #23922 of 23936 Old Today, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You don't care about me at all anymore? Fine... (Gratuitous need for a totally joking)

post #23923 of 23936 Old Today, 12:31 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post
Updates on the 212TT Jeff is working on. From Facebook:

+/- 3db 60hz-20khz
Sensitivity 101db/1w
2kw program
4 ohm
2-way
600hz crossover
ID $1799.
Same weight and dimensions as 212HT.
Has a wooden horn that is 60x60 coverage.
I don't really get it. I am guessing he will be voicing this one a little different? You look between the 228, 212, 210RT, 215RM, and 215RT that most of the bases would be covered...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #23924 of 23936 Old Today, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
There has been some paralysis as I didn't have confidence in my MiniDSP UMIK-1 and everytime I posted measurements, I was told it had to be a room mode or some other issue as the 212s have plenty of midbass. Now that I have better measuring equipment, I have confidence in my findings. Further, my measurements match almost exactly to measurements dlbeck took in his room of his 212 sealed.

Apparently I got on the JTR train after the discussions of the sealed Triple 12s...unfortunate. But that is really my primary motivation with my posts, make sure others have more information and don't make the same mistake I did. The JTR 212 speakers are very popular, but that really seems to be the ported, and I just want to make sure people realize the ported is more different from the sealed than posted specs would indicate.
David have you demoed the Yorkvilles? If you have not, I would try and get a pair for 2 weeks and really get some good seat time in with them. To me they are closer to the sound of the SH50 than the Noesis. We spent a good part of the day at Gorilla's with his U215's and the SH50's, when we switched between the two, there was a very slight difference, I felt the SH50 had a slight advantage in the upper midrange, but they were very close. I myself still like the top end better on the 212's, but if it were not for the Noesis, I would defiantly have the Yorkville U125's. The Yorks seem to be what you are after.

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 01:36 PM.
post #23925 of 23936 Old Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_4554
This would be my guess as to the CD he may use. This CD has a 1.4" throat.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I don't really get it. I am guessing he will be voicing this one a little different? You look between the 228, 212, 210RT, 215RM, and 215RT that most of the bases would be covered...
Since he has discontinued the T12, this will be his midpriced option for those who are shopping in the T12 price range.
post #23926 of 23936 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
David have you demoed the Yorkvilles? If you have not, I would try and get a pair for 2 weeks and really get some good seat time in with them. To me they are closer to the sound of the SH50 than the Noesis. We spent a good part of the day at Gorilla's with his U215's and the SH50's, when we switched between the two, there was a very slight difference, I felt the SH50 had a slight advantage in the upper midrange, but they were both very close. I myself still like the top end better on the 212's, but if it were not for the Noesis, I would defiantly have the Yorkville U125's. The Yorks seem to be what you are after.
I have not but I'm fully invested in making my current speakers work and barring that, looking at the 212 porteds. I have no plans to look at any other speakers at this time. As a part of buying ChopShop's projector, I also got one of his BMS 4594 CDs so I may even try building a speaker of my own that meets my requirements. But that is so far down the road that I need to make what I currently have work.

And I also have to say I was quite impressed with the midbass on the Cat12s, really the whole speaker but the Cat12s had loads of midbass...but so did the 215RM. Out of the box I still liked the upper end on the 212 best but after calibration all 3 speakers were really good and I didn't have enough couch time to choose between the 3 for the upper end or between the 215RM or Cat12 for the low end.

Last edited by dgage; Today at 12:47 PM.
post #23927 of 23936 Old Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have not but I'm fully invested in making my current speakers work and barring that, looking at the 212 porteds. I have no plans to look at any other speakers at this time. As a part of buying ChopShop's projector, I also got one of his BMS 4594 CDs so I may even try building a speaker of my own that meets my requirements. But that is so far down the road that I need to make what I currently have work.

And I also have to say I was quite impressed with the midbass on the Cat12s, really the whole speaker but the Cat12s had loads of midbass...but so did the 215RM. Out of the box I still liked the upper end on the 212 best but after calibration all 3 speakers were really good and I didn't have enough couch time to choose between the 3 for the upper end or between the 215RM or Cat12 for the low end.
I know, but you should still take a listen to the Yorkvilles. Andrew has 3 of them, I am sure if you are ever in the neighborhood he would be happy to blow your ear drums out The thing about the Yorks is that you would basically get everything you want in a speaker about the same size as the Noesis. Would not hurt to take a listen.

My System

post #23928 of 23936 Old Today, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I found the CAT12's to be lacking midbass for my preference when I heard them, same as the sh50's and the 212's (though I knew what I was getting into getting the LP's vs the ported). I don't think I've ever heard a speaker thats been as good as the 215's are. I'm actually gonna buy one of those huge EQ's and try it out for fun. There is something to be said for hands on tuning, rather than a PC interface. They are 100$, If I don't like it, I'll throw it in the garbage lol.

I'm chatting with a guy in my city that has a million dollar sound system, all custom style, speakers and subs are all DIY type stuff. He's pretty leery of letting people come over, so I invited him to my place on Saturday to hear mine first. I'm super curious what he will say/think. I've been in a 500K theater full of Wislon stuff and it was extremely lackluster although the video was beyond amazing.... This guy has some projector that was 350K!!!!! and some name I've never heard of before. I'm like a little kid wanting to go see it hahahaha. I wanna bring my omnimic and see how it measures too.
Archaea and jbrown15 like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #23929 of 23936 Old Today, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I know, but you should still take a listen to the Yorkvilles. Andrew has 3 of them, I am sure if you are ever in the neighborhood he would be happy to blow your ear drums out The thing about the Yorks is that you would basically get everything you want in a speaker about the same size as the Noesis. Would not hurt to take a listen.
Which neighborhood would that be? Related to size, the U215 is closer in size to the 215RM than the 212 and as much as I like the 215RM, I'd have to go with a 212 as the center channel and the voicing is different enough that I'm not sure I'd like it.
post #23930 of 23936 Old Today, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I found the CAT12's to be lacking midbass for my preference when I heard them, same as the sh50's and the 212's (though I knew what I was getting into getting the LP's vs the ported). I don't think I've ever heard a speaker thats been as good as the 215's are. I'm actually gonna buy one of those huge EQ's and try it out for fun. There is something to be said for hands on tuning, rather than a PC interface. They are 100$, If I don't like it, I'll throw it in the garbage lol.

I'm chatting with a guy in my city that has a million dollar sound system, all custom style, speakers and subs are all DIY type stuff. He's pretty leery of letting people come over, so I invited him to my place on Saturday to hear mine first. I'm super curious what he will say/think. I've been in a 500K theater full of Wislon stuff and it was extremely lackluster although the video was beyond amazing.... This guy has some projector that was 350K!!!!! and some name I've never heard of before. I'm like a little kid wanting to go see it hahahaha. I wanna bring my omnimic and see how it measures too.
I actually found the last time I heard the Cat's they seem less dynamic than the Danley's and JTR's. They were very clear and accurate, but maybe a bit to warm for me, but I guess I would like to hear them in my room for a few days to really make that a positive opinion. As far as mid bass, the one speaker that has really stood out from the others is the Yorkville U215's, they really have a good punch.

My System

post #23931 of 23936 Old Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I felt the Cat12 was nice when I first heard it and really damn good after professional calibration.

I really wasn't impressed with the 215s initially but they also sounded really damn good after professional calibration.

The speaker is one thing, the room and calibration likely matter more.
post #23932 of 23936 Old Today, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Did you ever check the outdoor on-axis 1m response of the 212LP's? I'm just curious to see what it looks like.

post #23933 of 23936 Old Today, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I felt the Cat12 was nice when I first heard it and really damn good after professional calibration.

I really wasn't impressed with the 215s initially but they also sounded really damn good after professional calibration.

The speaker is one thing, the room and calibration likely matter more.
Try tinkering with a Dirac Live free trial, if you are using a PC as your source. It's easy to use and free, so painless all around. You already have the mic, so you're set.

post #23934 of 23936 Old Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Did you ever check the outdoor on-axis 1m response of the 212LP's? I'm just curious to see what it looks like.
Busy day of work so no plus if things work out, I'll go over to Coach's tomorrow afternoon and test the 212 sealed against the Cat12 at his place.
post #23935 of 23936 Old Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Try tinkering with a Dirac Live free trial, if you are using a PC as your source. It's easy to use and free, so painless all around. You already have the mic, so you're set.
Hmmm....interesting idea. I guess I could play with that. Does Dirac do a good job kicking up the midbass?
post #23936 of 23936 Unread Today, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Busy day of work so no plus if things work out, I'll go over to Coach's tomorrow afternoon and test the 212 sealed against the Cat12 at his place.
I know what you mean. This stuff is like a black hole.

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com