Official JTR speaker thread - Page 814 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #24391 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 88
That sucks about the neighbors. Maybe shifting the lowest frequencies to transducers would help...cheaper than moving. I guess you could rebuild the room with heavy soundproofing - box in a box stuff.

Mine haven't mentioned anything to me. Hopefully, the sound doesn't travel to them. I don't think so.
Inside my house, it only travels to the master bedroom (which is above my basement home theater).
You can't even hear it in other rooms, which is a good sign.

I'll have to crank it up and walk around the house some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24392 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 368
@Reefdvr27 Or put another sub outside 180 deg. out of phase with your subs in your room. That will cancel everything out and it will be pure bass silence outside.

I know, I know, no need to thank me. I'm just here to help
post #24393 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
@Reefdvr27 Or put another sub outside 180 deg. out of phase with your subs in your room. That will cancel everything out and it will be pure bass silence outside.

I know, I know, no need to thank me. I'm just here to help

Haahahaaha... Yeah, make sure everything is finalized and you have a closing date first...
Gooddoc and audiovideoholic like this.
post #24394 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Haahahaaha... Yeah, make sure everything is finalized and you have a closing date first...
You know in the middle east they would cut out your subwoofer for these kind of offenses...though in your case they would be cutting out the 4 inch "bass driver" from you Bose module
post #24395 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Haha! EOT..Just crazy guys! I have my avr sub trim at -5.0. Knob on the S2's pointing on the -11 dot. And a 5db hc through the antimode. I was kinda chicken sh!t at first. So I stood by one of my S2's with my remote. If incase my output on my S2 start to clip..lol.. Yea, I know, but it's my money invested.. Anyway turned up the MV to -9.0. Then let it ride. At first it was like expecting a bomb to explode.. Then suddenly BOOOOMM,BOOOoomm, BOooooooommm...the lowest wave made the amber clip lights go on solid on the output. But no red light. No clipping of the input. And no tripping of the breakers.. Just crazy raw bass.. My new demo scene now. Haha. I'm not gonna even talk about what that scene was doing to the house.. My wife at first looked at me weird when I was by one of the S2 with the remote. And she ask me, what are you doing? Then bamm.. She said WTH? Your a friggin nuts husband! lol...
Yea, I got a text from the wife telling me to pick up whatever broke on my way back upstairs. I came up to find this in the living room:

Here is the subs running at -5:

I made it to -2 when I saw the DDT lights on the peavey, which I will take all day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Nothing better than country livin! I can party like its 1969 24/7 with 10 21" FTWs.
Same here in the basement, funny thing is I have to shut down the woodworking shop early as my garage and driveway are basically a megaphone to the neighbor's house... The only time they have EVER complained about noise was one night when I had the router going past midnight. I can go to +15 in the theater and no issue at all Definitely can't go to +15 on that scene up there tho^^^^^

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #24396 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
More JTR goodness. Now we have cops being called because we are all insane on this thread

Maybe its because I am in the basement or maybe its because you both get crazy with your 215s but I could never see my neighbors calling the cops for my HT. The sound doesn't travel outside the house very much at all. Sorry about your experience…sounds frustrating
I never thought anybody would call either. Like I said I have been blasting bass in my house for years and nobody has said anything. I thought I was safe to do a new room. If I find out it is was the guy next door, then there is going to be big problems. I have been dealing with all his noise for years and I never even thought about calling the cops. I even told him to tell me if there was any noise so I would know to tone it down or work on the soundproofing. I have had enough, I just am putting my house on the market. Like I said I absolutely hate where I live and the people. This is just reason #500 to finally move. I am getting the ball rolling today.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 10-08-2014 at 08:57 AM.
post #24397 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Besides Dave, it's best that you practiced and made all your theater mistakes in someone else's house

The new one in YOUR house will be AWESOME!

Haha!
post #24398 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea, I got a text from the wife telling me to pick up whatever broke on my way back upstairs. I came up to find this in the living room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93UtpeYFTWw

I made it to -2 when I saw the DDT lights on the peavey, which I will take all day long

Same here in the basement, funny thing is I have to shut down the woodworking shop early as my garage and driveway are basically a megaphone to the neighbor's house... The only time they have EVER complained about noise was one night when I had the router going past midnight. I can go to +15 in the theater and no issue at all Definitely can't go to +15 on that scene up there tho^^^^^
Funny, this is all they have to do to sell a blu ray. You could take the worst movie put freakish bass in to the mix and they will sell a million copies. When we started EOT last night I forgot about the LFE and my wife said WFT is this? I just laughed, I did not expect it to be that early in the movie. I was enjoying the movie till the cops came. That was the first movie we sat down and watched in the theater. Nice huh?
post #24399 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Besides Dave, it's best that you practiced and made all your theater mistakes in someone else's house

The new one in YOUR house will be AWESOME!

Haha!
I used quiet rock and I thought that would be good enough. I have two options. 1 would be to strip the room and sound proof it right. 2 Would be to move and get a house with a basement or a house away from neighbors. I really do not feel like putting anymore time or money into this house, so I think it is best to move. I guarantee this will never happen again in my next house.
post #24400 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93UtpeYFTWw

Beast.. -2 on the EOT sound wave scene? Now, your friggin nuts!! If I did that I think my investment would fly out the window! Lol!
post #24401 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Beast.. -2 on the EOT sound wave scene? Now, your friggin nuts!! If I did that I think my investment would fly out the window! Lol!
That's with a close to 15dB house curve on the subs too
lbrown105 likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #24402 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ ho crap! There's a place for guys like you to hang out at.. It's called the pchic ward!! Lol!
NWCgrad likes this.
post #24403 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

I simply love the debauchery on this thread..I vote to rename it:

"THE JTR DEBAUCHERY THREAD!!!..normal people keep out!!!!"

So you inspired to play the scene again. Yesterday I played it -11 and it was intense. Today I played it at around -8 and my shorts standard flapping around (not sure that has ever happened from my seat, which 14ft away from my screen)...started playing it at reference and thought my ceiling might collapse...not in a funny kind of way...in the I might die kind of way
NWCgrad, beastaudio and lbrown105 like this.
post #24404 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Quote:
I got to -4 before I started fearing for the house. I run nearly that much of a curve in a tiny room

beastaudio likes this.
post #24405 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
I got to -4 before I started fearing for the house. I run nearly that much of a curve in a tiny room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rMpNs5E1pY
You guys are nuts.. I can't imagine going that much. Especially since I'm on a second level wood deck.. I'm so afraid at what it'll do to my house more then my subs.. Lol
post #24406 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just watched that scene about an hour ago and I was only at -20ish. I have no idea how you guys are watching it with house curves and multiple S2's and 10 21's.....that must sound like an earthquake in your houses. Having said that...you are all my hero's!!!

Nabs17
post #24407 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Hell ya!! I posted on the EOT thread that I was watching it over reference and people for sure think I'm nuts.... I didn't know it was so crazy when I first watched it, so I had to re-watch it at +5 with my house curve hahahaha. Thats one of the first movies that I was worried about my subs... although they took it fine, I was still ready with the volume just in case when I re-watched it.... good to see it's not only me that love to romp it!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24408 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Hell ya!! I posted on the EOT thread that I was watching it over reference and people for sure think I'm nuts.... I didn't know it was so crazy when I first watched it, so I had to re-watch it at +5 with my house curve hahahaha. Thats one of the first movies that I was worried about my subs... although they took it fine, I was still ready with the volume just in case when I re-watched it.... good to see it's not only me that love to romp it!

Good lord if you were worried about your subs I better start at -30!!!!

I get mine tomorrow, can't wait to check this out. My projector is not going to like this me thinks.
post #24409 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 117
how low is the frequency for EOT? will the OS reach? I am getting the movie tmrw. btw Transformers sucked!! I mean as a movie. The sound was ok, kind of

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #24410 of 25927 Old 10-08-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
how low is the frequency for EOT? will the OS reach? I am getting the movie tmrw. btw Transformers sucked!! I mean as a movie. The sound was ok, kind of
I read it in the DIY section. The opening scene is a 10Hz encoded at ~125dB. With 3 OS? You'll definately hit it. No fear brotha.. Those OS I believe are capable. I tried that scene again this past evening. Yesterday I tried it at -9 MV. Crazy? Well since some bros was doing -2 to +5. I wanted to see how much I could go. So, I set the MV to -5 and let it ride again. Haha.. The subs was more then capable alright. But, I don't know if the house is.. Lol.. The floor, it literly feels like a earthquake. No joke.. I was thinkin, I'm gonna meet the ground level. Especially I started to think about all that weight on a second floor deck. Never thought about it until after the scene, I busted out the iPad calculator and added up all estimate weight I have in my HT area.. I don't think I'm gonna do that scene at -5 again. Scary sh!t!
post #24411 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Well it is late, but the bass was keeping somebody up I did not ask who, but I will find out tomorrow. I told the guy next door if he ever heard anything to tell me. He has Harleys and race cars and makes all kind of noise, so I know it is not him. There is a guy out towards the back and they are a pretensios couple, a bunch of snobs, so I know it was them. Apparently it is every night I keep them up. Funny because I have not been out there at night in like 5 days. Screw it, I am just selling this house and moving out in woods. I hate this neighborhood and all the people in it.
Quote:
Sounds like the primates are getting a bit unruly in their cages, lol

My wife and I can't stand our neighborhood anymore either. It's changed so much over the past 15 yrs. and nobody is friendly. Never had the cops called though . Don't sell before I've had a chance to see and hear your theater!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
That's too bad man..

Even renovating my house caused me tons of problems with neighbors complaining.. one of my neighbor got it into their heads that just because i am renovating my house that i 'owe' them to repaint their entire house and fix everything that's broken in their 38 year old house... and they complain virtually everyday for 2 years...

What happened to the good ol days of neighbors who cares about each other and are understanding??
I feel people are just getting worse in respect to attitude in general. I understand people have bad days but. I was at a local pharmacy inside a grocery store here last week when the store manager (I looked at his name plate) walked up and made some comments about the Oregon Duck game last night to the guy on the other side of the pharmacy counter helping me. I then chimed in cheerfully and with a smile on my face and he literally looked at me and walked away with a stone cold look on his face. I picked up a cordless drill at Lowes yesterday for our machine shop at work and the guy at the checkout didn't even look at me in the eye once and he was pretty stale. I don't expect anything from anyone but it shows evidence. I always am enthusiastic for customers at my work, after all they ultimately help my living and my bonus. But the main reason is I feel it's just right to try and make a conscious effort about being kind and enthusiastic.

Thank goodness I live in the country!
dgage, NWCgrad and lbrown105 like this.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #24412 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Edge of Tomorrow... careful guys!

Post #38 has a graph, the OS wont play the lowest notes but there is enough above that that you will feel. the first post in that thread has a vid what it does with 2 Gjallarhorns.
lbrown105 likes this.
post #24413 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Post #38 has a graph, the OS wont play the lowest notes but there is enough above that that you will feel. the first post in that thread has a vid what it does with 2 Gjallarhorns.

The OS acts like an 18" sealed sub down low so it will still play the 10hz stuff just not with the same authority - at least I'm pretty sure how it works.
Archaea likes this.
post #24414 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

The OS will act like a sealed sub below the port tune frequency and duals were pretty flat to 7hz in my room (as measured by Jeff). I think they may be able to reproduce that 10hz wave.

Here is the raw data main seat measurement taken by Jeff the day we installed the first OS's. The LFU model would have a bit more to give down low.
Archaea likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; 10-09-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #24415 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
The OS will act like a sealed sub below the port tune frequency and duals were pretty flat to 7hz in my room (as measured by Jeff). I think they may be able to reproduce that 10hz wave.
Yeah but that's just 3 18" (Lance's setup) sealed subs which would pale in comparison to the output of the OS above 20hz. I bet if you had ran some compression sweeps the low stuff would stop keeping up pretty quickly on a graph as you went louder and louder.

I'm not ripping the OS, it's my all time favorite subwoofer and I've heard a lot of subwoofers.
post #24416 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yeah but that's just 3 18" (Lance's setup) sealed subs which would pale in comparison to the output of the OS above 20hz. I bet if you had ran some compression sweeps the low stuff would stop keeping up pretty quickly on a graph as you went louder and louder.

I'm not ripping the OS, it's my all time favorite subwoofer and I've heard a lot of subwoofers.
True, crazy output over 20hz but if it can get to 110db at 10hz then you will feel it in a normal sized room. Also true that the "effect" would be overwhelmed by the >20hz content. Please, let's not start that "importance of ULF" discussion again.

HToM

post #24417 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I don't know how close to those numbers i got but I think I may have been in the area when it got a bit scary. My room will make a difference of course, but do you recall what your levels were on the subs and on the av to get flat to 7hz?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #24418 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I don't know how close to those numbers i got but I think I may have been in the area when it got a bit scary. My room will make a difference of course, but do you recall what your levels were on the subs and on the av to get flat to 7hz?
I don't recall what the source was on those initial measurements. They were taken pre any EQ and I was really anxious to get to hearing them with actual content. Once I did, I didn't really care about the measurements ...

HToM

post #24419 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Since we're talking about extreme bass here, I am a bit worried about the impact these bass would have on the floor right above the basement. If i stuck some rubber pads (those rubber inlays they use for carpets) onto the concrete ceiling, then follow by some rockwool, would that help? I am thinking, when the big wave hits the rubber, it won't really transfer to the concrete, and therefore, won't be transfering thru the entire concrete slab as well.. i intend to stick the same rubber on all walls and floor.. so, all bass will hit the rubber first before being transfered to concrete...
post #24420 of 25927 Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Quote:

Adam,

carp and RMK! are right. An orbit shifter behaves at a minimum as an equivalent single sealed sub below the horn's knee, because it is a front loaded horn. (meaning one side of the driver faces a sealed space)
Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax to be released

At best it behaves with a 2 to 3dB improvment over the exact same driver in a single sealed enclosure because of the horn's load.
Driver excursion below the knee, horn vs. sealed

So a pair of Orbit Shifters would strictly speaking be at minimum equivalent to two cap s1 below 25hz. However with the horn loading the pair might be closer to say 3 Captivator S1s? at the lowest frequencies according to the data represented in the thread linked above by LTD02.
asoofi1 likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page