post #24571 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
What about your dedicated movie room is bad for music? Maybe you just need a speaker that sufficiently ignites that music spark .

Now that otta stir up the hornets ... .

Hehe.
Yeah, it's the speakers fault ...

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24572 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Yeah, it's the speakers fault ...
Yeah! With the proper speakers you'd turn that theater onto a heavy metal mosh pit for sure!!
post #24573 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
As much as I enjoy music on the 215's, movies are still my #1 priority for the system primarily due to the room (dedicated movie room) and my "old man" attitude about music (hey kids, get off my lawn!). I would never make it through Andrews GTG as I find most metal music and all that grandiose posturing and pretentious playing of those metal bands nauseating after short exposure.

That otta stir up the hornets ... .
Actually we have never really listed to metal at any of the GTG's. There may be a few more tracks this time as some have requested a little more, but Ben put up the set list of what was heard at the last few. I imagine the list will be similar to one of these.

Another North East GTG (Go To Gorilla's)!
post #24574 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Here's a pretty cool video on subs giving out.. Lol..
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRE7IahmbyQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Honestly I have not even been out in my room since the cops came. Im pretty bummed out about it. I have actually just thought about selling everything I have and bagging it for the time being. I was reading the codes yesterday and it is not even like you can play loud music during the day. It is different than say construction noise or mowing your lawn etc.. So I really don't know what to do. So my options come down to move or redo the theater. The easiest option at this time would be to rip down the theater and start over. I can do that, but it just sucks. The only thing I am worried about is if I do that and it does not work. Then there is just sell everything get some headphone amps and just wait till I can get out of here. Like I said this just totally sucks and I never expected it.
Awww man.. that really sucks big time.. I feel for you man..

In fact, this puts a damper on me as well because soon i'll be moving to my new house/new home theater... although i have it in a basement, i am not sure that'll keep the bass contained... in the new house, i have a neighbor who is not tolerant at all with loud noises.. he's already complained a few times about my 'construction'... and both my neighbors have complained...

it would really suck if i can't play at reference at all after spending so much time and money on my HT...

Anyways, I hope you find a new place that you could play as loud as you like.

Or, find a way to sound proof your room to an extent that works for your neighbors.
post #24575 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The discussion about having the cops called reminds me of when I rented a condo whose walls were constructed with very good sound proofing, as I was told by the landlord before moving in. I didn't even run any subs, just my Legacy Focus SE's. The neighbors below me were 80+ and had trouble sleeping through the night anyway, and the lady neighbor to the side had PTSD I later found out. Anything above around -20dB (relative to ref) or after 8 pm, I either got knocking on my door, reported to the HOA, and once had the cops called. Before it got nasty, the husband of the PTSD lady asked me to play the music at my normal level and come over to his living room to experience how bad it was. I was shocked when I walked in and could barely hear anything. I nodded my head, went back to my living room, and kept the music playing at the same level. A half hour later, the cops showed up. These same people threatened to sue. I moved out of the place a few months later, and now rent a house on an avocado ranch. Closest neighbors are 100+ feet away and have never complained about the noise, even with lots of windows open in the theater room.
post #24576 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Hey Dave, when can I come over to listen to the 215's? It's about time, no? I need to scope out my gtg competition
Nope, Don't think this is fair, you need to come in as blind as we all do to this g2g. That's like the Pat's filming the Jet's practice sessions.

Quote:
Yep, Blows big time. As of right now I have to say it is a bad time. I mean it would be like coming to a Nascar race and they could only do 40. Until I find out who called on me and how much I can get away with, I am really on hold. If it is the guy next door it will be a problem. He has a horrible reputation, I mean I have never heard a good thing about this guy. I get along great with his wife, but he is just an ahole. The guy has a ton of money and I would not put it past him to sue me or file a complaint. It is ashame because I have never been anything but nice to him as my wife.

I have been reading about soundproofing my room and I could rip it out and re rock it, could probably get it done in two weeks. I just don't know if it will hold or not. I mean I have not even had subwoofers on yet, just the 215's. If I tear this room out, I want to be sure that I can get it sound proofed right and that it can hold back major bass. If not, there is no sense in doing it. I mean I guess this certainly says how much bass the 215's have if the guy next door can hear it in a somewhat pretty contained room.
Dude, anything short of throwing cinderblock all the way around that space, you will likely have some problems. How close IS this guy? Need me to come up there dance some knuckles across home-boy's forehead?

Quote:
As much as I enjoy music on the 215's, movies are still my #1 priority for the system primarily due to the room (dedicated movie room) and my "old man" attitude about music (hey kids, get off my lawn!). I would never make it through Andrews GTG as I find most metal music and all that grandiose posturing and pretentious playing of those metal bands nauseating after short exposure.

That otta stir up the hornets ... .
Consider them stirred. Haha. As Dave said, we actually have never played ANY screamy music, more rock and hardrock, no real "Metal" and still very little at that....
RMK! and Reddig like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #24577 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Nope, Don't think this is fair, you need to come in as blind as we all do to this g2g. That's like the Pat's filming the Jet's practice sessions.

Dude, anything short of throwing cinderblock all the way around that space, you will likely have some problems. How close IS this guy? Need me to come up there dance some knuckles across home-boy's forehead?

Consider them stirred. Haha. As Dave said, we actually have never played ANY screamy music, more rock and hardrock, no real "Metal" and still very little at that....
Yeah well I was (partially ) just trying to make myself feel better about not being able to join in the fun of these far away GTG's . A blind test of the 215RT's and M2's is very cool and I am interested in the results.

I really appreciate you guys doing this and posting your comments. I find these types of get togethers much more interesting than pro magazine reviews or posted FR graphs.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #24578 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha, thanks for the back up. I will get it fixed. I don't want any soured up people around me, that is for sure. Like I said I am more pissed that the guy just could not come and talk like a man and I even gave him the option to do so and still called the cops on me. I just cannot get over that. They even have my number, they could have called. If you go on my Facebook page in the timeline photos, I have some pics I took of the snow a few years ago. You can see how close the two house are in those shots.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 10-15-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #24579 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 128
OK, update for everyone.

Keeping the JTR 215's and Seatons and bought a Level 3 Crowson Transducer System.

Going to run the JTR's full range and the Seatons with LFE, and Route LFE from my OPPO to the Crowsons Transducers.
post #24580 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I crazy that I watch all movies at reference?

When I came to the thread I thought most of you listened to above reference...

Then I start reading that a lot of you using -10 or -6...

I guess I am the crazy one...

Question:
If I would watch EOT at reference with my Seatons, do I have to worry about damaging them? I also usually run the Seatons hot about 4-5db.

Last edited by SOWK; 10-15-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #24581 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
OK, update for everyone.

Keeping the JTR 215's and Seatons and bought a Level 3 Crowson Transducer System.

Going to run the JTR's full range and the Seatons with LFE, and Route LFE from my OPPO to the Crowsons Transducers.
Nice, glad you got it worked out.

Speaking of Seaton's, did anyone see that the Cat 12's got the most dynamic award at RMAF by a poster at Home theater shack? I will tell you I am pretty interested in the mini dsp with Dirac. Sounds like it did a nice job on the Cat 12's
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post950633
post #24582 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Haha, thanks for the back up. I will get it fixed. I don't want any soured up people around me, that is for sure. Like I said I am more pissed that the guy just could not come and talk like a man and I even gave him the option to do so and still called the cops on me. I just cannot get over that. They even have my number, they could have called. If you go on my Facebook page in the timeline photos, I have some pics I took of the snow a few years ago. You can see how close the two house are in those shots.
So you know which neighbor called?
post #24583 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Then I hear about alot of you using -10 or -6...

Question:
If I would watch EOT at reference with my Seatons, do I have to worry about damaging them? I also usually run the Seatons hot about 4-5db.

Are you crazy..maybe...probably just as crazy as the rest of us on this thread. I do prefer to watch movies around -10. For me, in my room, reference is too loud. The speakers can do it no problem...it just isn't comfortable for me sound wise. I do have sound treatments but maybe I need more???

I would think the Seatons could hang at reference without being damaged. I think there is more chance other things would get damaged....see beastaudios's picture of stuff spilling everywhere upstairs from the bass in that movie
post #24584 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
OK, update for everyone.

Glad it worked out for you and the 215's...I was just wondering what your status was and saw this.

I got an e-mail from Jeff today saying he is running behind by about a week...so I'll be waiting a little longer to officially join the JTR club.

Nabs17
post #24585 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
OK, update for everyone.

Gonna play the devil's advocate here, but what technically does adding crowsons accomplish? You were finding the limits of the 215's regardless, so I feel like you still would...I don't see how this solves anything...

Quote:
Nice, glad you got it worked out.

Speaking of Seaton's, did anyone see that the Cat 12's got the most dynamic award at RMAF by a poster at Home theater shack? I will tell you I am pretty interested in the mini dsp with Dirac. Sounds like it did a nice job on the Cat 12's
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post950633
I have had an itchy trigger finger for that for a while now.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #24586 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have had an itchy trigger finger for that for a while now.
In that case, might as well hit the "buy it now" button....do it...get it out of the way...we all know how this will end...now we are just talking about timing
post #24587 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Then I start reading that a lot of you using -10 or -6...

Question:
1. Yes you are crazy...which is why you fit in so well on this thread.

2. I haven't read any reports of Seaton Submersives being damaged and I've read Mark hits his equipment pretty hard at the GTGs sometimes. So I'd be surprised if you were able to hurt your Seaton Submersives unless you were trying to break them.
post #24588 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
In that case, might as well hit the "buy it now" button....do it...get it out of the way...we all know how this will end...now we are just talking about timing
Yea I know, other things in line first...if I had nothing else I wanted at this point in time, I would have already owned it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

2. I haven't read any reports of Seaton Submersives being damaged and I've read Mark hits his equipment pretty hard at the GTGs sometimes. So I'd be surprised if you were able to hurt your Seaton Submersives unless you were trying to break them.
He has those limiters built in for a reason...keep people from abusing his shtuff.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #24589 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Beast, I will only run the 215RT's full range now vs Full Range and LFE. That alone will fix my issues I have been having.

And I am getting the crowsons as an exstention to the LFE to feel down to 5htz as I am being told its near impossible to get anything of great usefulness on my concrete slab that low.
post #24590 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Mjbuoni just reduced the price on his 3 veneered 212 HTs. A great deal.

Three JTR Noesis 212 HT for sale

And 7channelfreak has his black 212 HT-LPs for sale for the same price.

FS: three JTR 212 HT-lp Noesis
post #24591 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
I never really got into head phones, my dad is a big audiophile guy, but real quality music and video is his thing. I know when I was a kid he always had head phones on. Reel to reel and head phones is still the best I have heard. Anyway I have never used head phones for home theater, but I was thinking about using headphones in my theater at night for the time being till I figure out what I am doing. What would be a good set of head phones for say that 7.1 sound? Do they connect right in your system or do you need an external processor? My son was a big gammer till he got a car, but I think he used Astros? I know I paid a fortune for them, he said they made it sound like home theater. Could be a temporary solution till I get my problems worked out.
The only way to get surround is if the processor has it built in.... or a external soundcard. It's not worth the bother. Astros would have had the mixamp with them, which is a small soundcard pretty much. You'd be amazed what a good set of phones can sound like! I tend to like open phones but when I want some serious bass, I throw on my closed Fostex TH900's! They outbass any other phone I've ever tired, just amazing! and they will work with ipods or any handheld unit since they are really sensitive..... You just have to stomach the $1500 price tag lol.

It's tough to recommend phones. My go to phone is the senn 650. Great phones that are under $400.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24592 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Beast, I will only run the 215RT's full range now vs Full Range and LFE. That alone will fix my issues I have been having.

And I am getting the crowsons as an exstention to the LFE to feel down to 5htz as I am being told its near impossible to get anything of great usefulness on my concrete slab that low.
How do you run full range with no LFE? IS something that the mini dsp does. I have never used a mini dsp so you have to excuse me for asking.
post #24593 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How do you run full range with no LFE? IS something that the mini dsp does. I have never used a mini dsp so you have to excuse me for asking.
I read it to mean he was routing the LFE channel to the mains and to the subs. Now he will just route the LFE to the subs and the let the 215s run full range on the L/R channel signal only.
post #24594 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I read it to mean he was routing the LFE channel to the mains and to the subs. Now he will just route the LFE to the subs and the let the 215s run full range on the L/R channel signal only.
Yeah I get it now. I read it wrong at first.
post #24595 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Catching up here (after watching the Royals clinch a trip to the World Fing Series!!!! 8-0 in the playoffs - no way this is actually happening!!!!)

Dave, that sucks man. I wouldn't mess with trying to soundproof the new theater room. No matter what you do you won't be able to keep the bass from escaping and that's what your neighbors are hearing anyway. So.... I guess the only option is to move. That really sucks but if I had neighbors calling the cops I would move too.

Depressing stuff.....
post #24596 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 398
I would figure out exactly what level you can play your system and still be within the noise ordinance levels. It's your house, you pay taxes like everyone else. I haven't seen you state what the actual noise levels are outside your home?

Maybe it's your neighbors that have to move! Have you considered that?? Sorry man, I just wouldn't give up because some wanker wants to live in a graveyard. If I was within ordinance I would stand my ground and let them move. Sorry, I know this is against the general advice here, but I would have data on what's going on here. Come on Dave, your an audio guy, take measurements man. Your neighbors don't even know what an SPL meter is!!
post #24597 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Catching up here (after watching the Royals clinch a trip to the World Fing Series!!!! 8-0 in the playoffs - no way this is actually happening!!!!)
What a great story so far!

They are my adopted team right now since the Pirates stunk it up in the wild card game.
carp likes this.
post #24598 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I downloaded the free 30 day trial of the two channel Dirac Live the other day. Haven't had a lot of time with it but I have confirmed with REW before and after Dirac filter is in place that there is nice improvement in impulse response. Need more listening time for subjective opinion, but the objective tests are much improved. Now I am looking forward to XMC-1 Dirac implementation more than ever.

Without Dirac I have no less than 9 peaks above -15dB in the first 10ms. With Dirac filter running I have 2, maybe 3 in that same range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	without dirac.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	314058   Click image for larger version

Name:	with dirac.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	314066  
Frohlich and RMK! like this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #24599 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Correct. I expect my customers to eventually explore the limits of their system. It takes some 3 years to get there, and others 30 seconds.

Quote:
Yea I know, other things in line first...if I had nothing else I wanted at this point in time, I would have already owned it

He has those limiters built in for a reason...keep people from abusing his shtuff.
I think of it more as protecting them from unknowingly abusing their *own* shtuff.
rikomatik likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #24600 of 26232 Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mark, are you typically more concerned with thermal or mechanical protection in the Submersive/Cats?
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page