Official JTR speaker thread - Page 824 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #24691 of 24699 Old Today, 03:35 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 868
I still think you might LOVE the sm60f's in their current config, as the top end on those is sweet. Clean to 24khz, not anywhere the same as the fiddys which roll a little earlier. Midbass is certainly not lacking either, even though they are just two 8's instead of 12's.

Dang Reef, I didn't know you weren't that big of a fan of the 50's in my HT, that's the first time I think you have mentioned that

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24692 of 24699 Old Today, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Looks like I need to schedule another measuring day - 212HT-LP vs S8. See if there is a measurable difference that I think I'm hearing.

This is news to me but apparently I have more acute hearing than most, I know I can hear up to 19000Hz tones, although I'm a little less sensitive around 17000Hz than 19000Hz for some reason. Who knows, that interesting sensitivity curve in my hearing could be a major factor.

Regarding the 212s, I love the upper end and midrange so want to get them to work somehow. I really can't fit midbasses but I'll see what I can do. I'll likely see if I can get measurements from Jeff to convert my sealed speakers to ported 212s.

So I've said I really love the upper end of the 212, think the 215 needs a decent amount of EQ before it is good, and don't care for the S8 sound at all(as mains). Yep, that about sums up my JTR schizophrenia.

As far as selling the speakers, I don't want to and I don't want to lose money and I don't know of a speaker that I'd want instead. Nothing's perfect. Hopefully I can get the 212s working for me, if not, I'll live with them until I find something better...which I haven't heard yet.
Have you compared the non lp 212? Or maybe see if Jeff would let you trade in to try?

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #24693 of 24699 Old Today, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I still think you might LOVE the sm60f's in their current config, as the top end on those is sweet. Clean to 24khz, not anywhere the same as the fiddys which roll a little earlier. Midbass is certainly not lacking either, even though they are just two 8's instead of 12's.

Dang Reef, I didn't know you weren't that big of a fan of the 50's in my HT, that's the first time I think you have mentioned that
I'd love to hear them but likely won't go out of my way to hear them.
post #24694 of 24699 Old Today, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Have you compared the non lp 212? Or maybe see if Jeff would let you trade in to try?
I have not heard the ported 212. I think I'm just going to turn my sealed 212 into a ported 212 if Jeff will give me the measurements. I have the woodworking ability and my 212s are bare as I bought them to veneer myself but haven't yet.
post #24695 of 24699 Old Today, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

@beastaudio Well to be honest I was excited to hear them as it was the first shot I had at hearing them. I will use the term and hate to use it, but they seemed "laid back" than that of the SM60's.They just did not seem to have that sparkle that I had heard at the Heavyweight GTG that I liked. I know when we compared yours to the 212's inn your HT, I definitely liked the 212's better, bad polarity and all Don't get me wrong, I liked them, what's not to like, however I had found that the second time I heard them at the Mini GTG back in the summer that I really liked the fiddies allot more, but still did not have that pop that grabbed me like that of the SM60F's had?

I know someday I would like to get another pair of SM60's or the rumored SM60HT's that have been mentioned a few times and run them for a couple of months and see if I can get that magic back that I had heard. Still one of the best speaker demo's I have ever heard. Presently I am very happy with the 215's right now, it is going to be some time before I change up, I am just hoping it is not December 7th

Last edited by Reefdvr27; Today at 05:09 PM.
post #24696 of 24699 Old Today, 06:09 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
@Reefdvr27 .....

Oh boy, you don't want to listen to the M2's. Seriously...
Where's the damn yawn smilie when you need it? ...

Ahh there it is:
Frohlich, dgage and Gooddoc like this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 06:15 PM.
post #24697 of 24699 Old Today, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I have not heard the ported 212. I think I'm just going to turn my sealed 212 into a ported 212 if Jeff will give me the measurements. I have the woodworking ability and my 212s are bare as I bought them to veneer myself but haven't yet.

Very bold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413855681.147243.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	322337

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #24698 of 24699 Old Today, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
@beastaudio Well to be honest I was excited to hear them as it was the first shot I had at hearing them. I will use the term and hate to use it, but they seemed "laid back" than that of the SM60's.They just did not seem to have that sparkle that I had heard at the Heavyweight GTG that I liked. I know when we compared yours to the 212's inn your HT, I definitely liked the 212's better, bad polarity and all Don't get me wrong, I liked them, what's not to like, however I had found that the second time I heard them at the Mini GTG back in the summer that I really liked the fiddies allot more, but still did not have that pop that grabbed me like that of the SM60F's had?

I know someday I would like to get another pair of SM60's or the rumored SM60HT's that have been mentioned a few times and run them for a couple of months and see if I can get that magic back that I had heard. Still one of the best speaker demo's I have ever heard. Presently I am very happy with the 215's right now, it is going to be some time before I change up, I am just hoping it is not December 7th
Perhaps the 7th will be your day of bank account infamy and you want to order a set of M2's. It is the 73rd anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #24699 of 24699 Old Today, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Perhaps the 7th will be your day of bank account infamy and you want to order a set of M2's. It is the 73rd anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
Doubtful. It's a blinded GTG and without expectation bias the M2 will lose its advantage.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page