post #24721 of 24745 Old Today, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Any good links to auro 3d that's comparative or just flat out worth reading for the completely ignorant person? I've read and kept up with all the atmos threads but have not read a single thing about auro 3d. I'm in the boat of waiting for 4k so theaterless ATM since a lightning strike took out 4 avrs, hvac, 2 routers, Xbox one, 3 tvs, one modem, and one dtv box back in March. Insurance wasn't worth filing so only replaced tvs and have since upgraded to fiber internet so maybe won't have to worry about "everything" connected to internet being destroyed again by another strike if it happens.
Sorry to hear about that...very unfortunate.

Here's the thread on avs that's got lots of references and links to start with: http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=1682498

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24722 of 24745 Old Today, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I just ordered my 3rd bulb for my Epson 8350.

I'll keep the other 2 for backups, one bulb has 2000 hours on it and the other has 2300. They really aren't crazy dim, but both are noticeably dimmer enough that it bugs me just a touch when watching tv with the lights on.

My second bulb I bought directly from Epson. This time I bought from Bulbs.com. From Epson it's 300 and was only 179 on bulbs.com. Now, I know that may be stupid but I'm taking the gamble. I called bulbs.com and they said the actual bulb is OEM but the housing is generic. They have a 90 day warranty, so I have a little time to see how it goes. I think Epson's warranty is only 90 days as well.

I bought the 8350 3 years ago, almost to the day so that means one bulb lasts me 1.5 years. That's not bad IMO considering how often I watch tv down here.

Do any of you guys use your projector for tv watching with the lights on? If so how many hours can you do that with your bulbs? I of course turn off the lights for movies but I like sports and tv shows with the lights on.

Hmm it does depend on the show though... comedies lights stay on. Shows like Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc. lights are off.
post #24723 of 24745 Old Today, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Any good links to auro 3d that's comparative or just flat out worth reading for the completely ignorant person? I've read and kept up with all the atmos threads but have not read a single thing about auro 3d. I'm in the boat of waiting for 4k so theaterless ATM since a lightning strike took out 4 avrs, hvac, 2 routers, Xbox one, 3 tvs, one modem, and one dtv box back in March. Insurance wasn't worth filing so only replaced tvs and have since upgraded to fiber internet so maybe won't have to worry about "everything" connected to internet being destroyed again by another strike if it happens.

^^

I thought insurance covered damage caused by lightning. I asked my insurance company awhile back and they said they did. Man that sucks, sorry to hear about that.
post #24724 of 24745 Old Today, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Hey @RMK! a little reading for ya, and anyone else wanting to know about HDCP 2.2, 4k, and HDMI 2.0.. Gutsum ColdCuts Getsum ColdCuts http://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-form...i-2.0-hdcp-2.2
Yup, for once I'm glad I'm waiting this out. There are gonna be a ton of pissed off people when they realize their hdmi 2.0 units won't do 2.2! the 7702 is one that can't but the 8802 should be able to with an upgrade. I just about pulled the trigger on the 7702 until I read that a few weeks ago. Think about all the people with 4K tvs that will be useless lol
oneeyeblind likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24725 of 24745 Old Today, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Yup, for once I'm glad I'm waiting this out. There are gonna be a ton of pissed off people when they realize their hdmi 2.0 units won't do 2.2! the 7702 is one that can't but the 8802 should be able to with an upgrade. I just about pulled the trigger on the 7702 until I read that a few weeks ago. Think about all the people with 4K tvs that will be useless lol
I agree. It appears that I need to wait until 2016 to buy a new receiver due to all of the HDMI/HDCP 2.2 stuff. Way too much money to not do it all....
post #24726 of 24745 Old Today, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
To those considering going to Atmos, are any of you thinking of going with non-JTR speakers? I'm looking for some in-ceiling and came up with the JBL 226c/t (link), but they may be a inch or two too big. What are you guys going to do? Thanks!
Sorry to bump this question, but I have to make a choice pretty soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.

post #24727 of 24745 Old Today, 03:13 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Sorry to bump this question, but I have to make a choice pretty soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.
Couple more DIY coaxials for me But that is a ways out to say the least. I might try heights for a bit just for fun, but I can't get them much higher than the mains which are centered in the room with a 7 1/2' ceiling. Haven't made that decision as of yet. I will wire at that point to make the retro fit to atmos when that time comes, but not jumping on that bus until the things that article I posted are all figured out. Right now I have two emmy 10" coaxes not being used, so that is my main motivation to at least put them to use at this point, at least to just try it out. I am pretty happy with 7.1 anyways

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #24728 of 24745 Old Today, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I just ordered my 3rd bulb for my Epson 8350.

I'll keep the other 2 for backups, one bulb has 2000 hours on it and the other has 2300. They really aren't crazy dim, but both are noticeably dimmer enough that it bugs me just a touch when watching tv with the lights on.

My second bulb I bought directly from Epson. This time I bought from Bulbs.com. From Epson it's 300 and was only 179 on bulbs.com. Now, I know that may be stupid but I'm taking the gamble. I called bulbs.com and they said the actual bulb is OEM but the housing is generic. They have a 90 day warranty, so I have a little time to see how it goes. I think Epson's warranty is only 90 days as well.

I bought the 8350 3 years ago, almost to the day so that means one bulb lasts me 1.5 years. That's not bad IMO considering how often I watch tv down here.

Do any of you guys use your projector for tv watching with the lights on? If so how many hours can you do that with your bulbs? I of course turn off the lights for movies but I like sports and tv shows with the lights on.

Hmm it does depend on the show though... comedies lights stay on. Shows like Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc. lights are off.
In my experience with the 8350, eco mode for movies/lights off and normal with any lights on. Are you switching between modes when turning on lights? This will help extend lamp life almost double in eco mode from what I've read...my BIL is still on his first lamp after 3 years in eco mode, but they do only watch 6-8 hours a week in the HT.

ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #24729 of 24745 Old Today, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
In my experience with the 8350, eco mode for movies/lights off and normal with any lights on. Are you switching between modes when turning on lights? This will help extend lamp life almost double in eco mode from what I've read...my BIL is still on his first lamp after 3 years in eco mode, but they do only watch 6-8 hours a week in the HT.
No, I'm in normal mode all the time. That's a good idea though, I'll try it with the new bulb.

6-8 hours a week? I crush that on a Sunday during football season.

I do use high altitude mode which keeps the fan running a lot longer when you shut off the projector which is supposed to extend bulb life or at least reduce the chances of it blowing up.
post #24730 of 24745 Old Today, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are a lot of horn type speakers that will work well with jtr...I myself have four eD6c that will be going up on the ceiling when I do pull the trigger on an atmos av. IMO, the surrounds may not timbre match, but this isn't a huge deal if the surrounds are capable and match the lcr type. There are several jbl surrounds that will work, but I recommend looking at either some diy packs if you're willing to build or some used horns from the classifieds...jbl, eD, chase, klipsch, etc.

Just keep in mind, in-ceiling will not work as atmos intended because they driver has to be angled a certain degree and not necessarily firing straight down as one would assume...and 4 speakers on the ceiling is the minimum IMO...NOT 2...the full atmos effect is with 4 for panning effects for both front to back and side to side.

Last edited by asoofi1; Today at 03:51 PM.
post #24731 of 24745 Old Today, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I have not really followed 4K but when it goes mainstream won't the output boxes have two HDMI outputs. Why could you not go straight to the display with one output and use the other to a non 2.2 receiver/preamp?

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #24732 of 24745 Old Today, 03:57 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Hey @RMK! a little reading for ya, and anyone else wanting to know about HDCP 2.2, 4k, and HDMI 2.0.. Gutsum ColdCuts Getsum ColdCuts http://www.audioholics.com/hdtv-form...i-2.0-hdcp-2.2
Yeah, I had already read that but still I persevere. Audioholics is sort of my reverse barometer, if they say wait, I march ahead.

But seriously, I am much more interested in Atmos/Auro 3D than 4K and it's new improved copy protection . I can wait a few years for that as I don't see the content happening in a big way anytime soon. Of course, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time ...

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #24733 of 24745 Old Today, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No, I'm in normal mode all the time. That's a good idea though, I'll try it with the new bulb.

6-8 hours a week? I crush that on a Sunday during football season.

I do use high altitude mode which keeps the fan running a lot longer when you shut off the projector which is supposed to extend bulb life or at least reduce the chances of it blowing up.
Exactly, they are not ht nuts like us so usage is far less.

If the fan is running more than normal, just keep it dust free and occasionally checking that its ventilating freely. Other than that, the more you drive, the more gas you need...so your getting the most you can get out of the lamps based on your usage. It's a great PJ.

post #24734 of 24745 Old Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Yeah, I had already read that but still I persevere. Audioholics is sort of my reverse barometer, if they say wait, I march ahead.

But seriously, I am much more interested in Atmos/Auro 3D than 4K and it's new improved copy protection . I can wait a few years for that as I don't see the content happening in a big way anytime soon. Of course, I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time ...
You are probably right, it will likely be a while before anything of substance comes to light, at least a few years. It's just another hoop to jump through for consumers. At least you knew before hand! could you imagine getting you new processor only to find out 6 months later it won't work how you want it to? urgh, I'd be pretty pissed. lol
RMK! likes this.

post #24735 of 24745 Old Today, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
I have not really followed 4K but when it goes mainstream won't the output boxes have two HDMI outputs. Why could you not go straight to the display with one output and use the other to a non 2.2 receiver/preamp?
Because most, if not all the current displays/receivers etc are the 10.8 mbps chips, not the 18gbps needed to output all what hdmi 2.0 has to offer. You need to have 2.2 on every device in the chain to it all to handshake properly.... At least that what I've read on various forums.

post #24736 of 24745 Old Today, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Exactly, they are not ht nuts like us so usage is far less.

If the fan is running more than normal, just keep it dust free and occasionally checking that its ventilating freely. Other than that, the more you drive, the more gas you need...so your getting the most you can get out of the lamps based on your usage. It's a great PJ.
Yep, sure is for how cheap it is. I know it doesn't compete with a lot of the 2000 and up PJ's especially with black levels but I'm more than happy with it. I bought it when the 8350 was already around for over a year and they are still selling them so that means 4 + years of the 8350 being sold!!

I hope I can keep it until 4k content is everywhere and 4k pj's are 3000 or less. That could be a long time...
post #24737 of 24745 Old Today, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yep, sure is for how cheap it is. I know it doesn't compete with a lot of the 2000 and up PJ's especially with black levels but I'm more than happy with it. I bought it when the 8350 was already around for over a year and they are still selling them so that means 4 + years of the 8350 being sold!!

I hope I can keep it until 4k content is everywhere and 4k pj's are 3000 or less. That could be a long time...
Unchanged and price went up too! It used to be on sale all the time for around $800-900 several years ago, but I've never seen it dip below $1100 in the last 2 years due to the steady demand.

Good plan to keep it. I think this time next year we'll see 4k pj prices drop closer to $5k. OLED tvs were $10k in 2013 and dropped almost 80% in one year, so hopefully the same type of trend will be seen with 4k pjs. Now 4k content...that's whole other matter....which actually ties into the HDCP 2.2 discussion in new AVs or lack of...I think I'd rather enjoy Atmos for the next couple of years since 4k content is likely not going to be main stream for a long time.

Last edited by asoofi1; Today at 04:24 PM.
post #24738 of 24745 Old Today, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
I want to know if the XMC 1 will be able to upgrade to 2.2?
post #24739 of 24745 Old Today, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I don't believe 2.2 can be done with a firmware upgrade on any av...may be hardware dependent. It's still hdmi 1.4b. I think the best option is the 40% off upgrade option emo gives owners. One thing though...anyone who buys an emo product is really into HT...anyone really into HT wants Atmos...will people still be going with the xmc1 then is the question. I've already seen some new ones in the classifieds.

post #24740 of 24745 Old Today, 04:47 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Big Dan says yes, you betcha 2.2 2.3, whatever it takes...

Just in case ... J/K

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #24741 of 24745 Old Today, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Just want to make sure there is no confusion. It is still HDMI 2.0...just can't support HDCP 2.2. It is a hardware upgrade that is required as the chipset to do full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are just being released and are not yet available in any AV or pre/pro.
post #24742 of 24745 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I just wish HDMI would get a new connector, I hate the flimsy looking thing. Mine tend to work loose over time. Robustness upgrade would be a good start....but I'm guessing it will never happen.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #24743 of 24745 Old Today, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure who likes EDM music...but Deadmau5 has a free album download through Google Music: https://play.google.com/store/music/...fqbpjce4mzb3du

Playing it thru my Chromecast thru AV. Not a huge fan myself, but everything sounds better thru JayTeeAre's.

post #24744 of 24745 Old Today, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

Just in case ... J/K
Not sure if it was Dan but someone with Emotiva promised an update to address a few known issues with the Sherbourn PT-7030 when they put them on clearance....yeah, didn't happen. Wouldn't trust Emo as far as I could throw Big Dan with a bum shoulder.
post #24745 of 24745 Old Today, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:

Just in case ... J/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Just want to make sure there is no confusion. It is still HDMI 2.0...just can't support HDCP 2.2. It is a hardware upgrade that is required as the chipset to do full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are just being released and are not yet available in any AV or pre/pro.
I am stirring the pot, Rob bit
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page