Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 106
JTR's are awesome. Just trying to keep 1 in 5 about the JayteeARE's
Archaea likes this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24752 of 24780 Old 10-21-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Come on Royals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 (from a White Sox fan).

post #24753 of 24780 Old 10-21-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Just want to make sure there is no confusion. It is still HDMI 2.0...just can't support HDCP 2.2. It is a hardware upgrade that is required as the chipset to do full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 are just being released and are not yet available in any AV or pre/pro.
If you're talking about the XMC, I think that it's HDMI 1.4b, not 2.0

post #24754 of 24780 Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
If you're talking about the XMC, I think that it's HDMI 1.4b, not 2.0
It is 1.4b not 2.0. They say it can be upgraded to 2.0 with a new hdmi board but they are generally full of crap, so who knows ( and personally, I could care less, I'll never buy Emotiva anything, ever again)
dgage and oneeyeblind like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24755 of 24780 Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

I know a lot of you guys are into two channel listening especially those running the 215 full range. My question is have any of you tried the free Dirac 2 channel correction? I am finding it is really doing some things that I have not seen or heard in other auto RC's or anything I have been able to do manually. At this point I don't feel the frequency response is really any better than what I can do with the mini dsp and manual PEQ for mains, but the impulse response is way beyond what I have been able to achieve manually or with other auto corrections. Flipping the switch from having Dirac on and off is dramatic difference in perceived sound even when the FR is adjusted the same. I have it so that I flip from Dirac on in Direct mode on the pre-pro to Dirac off and stereo mode. In this test you can flip from one setting to another during playback and the FR and levels are matched. With Dirac it is more focused and you can tell the difference blind everytime ( I got 20 out of 20 in a blind test on whether Dirac was engaged or disengaged as long as I was asked listening to the same song as it was flipped on and off)

Maybe there is something to all of this mixed phase filtering? I have previously posted some impulse response readings at the MLP, it even has a nice effect on impulse response in the back of the room (attached). I highly suggest trying the free trial if you are into two channel listening. I am converting quickly!! And all of this is suggested to make your JayteeARE's sound even better than they already do!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	without dirac (back of room).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	323985   Click image for larger version

Name:	with dirac back of room.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	323993  
Frohlich, popalock and asoofi1 like this.

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #24756 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Lance, where do you get this free Dirac? I assume it's a limited time kind of thing?
post #24757 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Lance, where do you get this free Dirac? I assume it's a limited time kind of thing?
I assume he's talking about the trial.
The free trial works for up to 8 channels, unless they changed something.
http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store.aspx
post #24758 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
He has an Emotiva XMC 1, they may have finally gave him the firmware upgrade to the Dirac?
post #24759 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have Dirac directly on the XM-1 yet (although on the lounge they are showing the GUI and say they have resolved the networking issues, so it will likely ship very soon). I am using the free 2 channel trial on Dirac's website. Check rcohen's link. Carp I am finding for the type of music you listen to the difference is greater for my perception. Seems like it resolves complicated sections and further reduces listener fatigue in those type of "busy" genres. Notice it a bit less in dance type music with simpler arrangements. Just my anecdotal opinion so far.

post #24760 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just ordered my 3rd bulb for my Epson 8350.

I'll keep the other 2 for backups, one bulb has 2000 hours on it and the other has 2300. They really aren't crazy dim, but both are noticeably dimmer enough that it bugs me just a touch when watching tv with the lights on.

My second bulb I bought directly from Epson. This time I bought from Bulbs.com. From Epson it's 300 and was only 179 on bulbs.com. Now, I know that may be stupid but I'm taking the gamble. I called bulbs.com and they said the actual bulb is OEM but the housing is generic. They have a 90 day warranty, so I have a little time to see how it goes. I think Epson's warranty is only 90 days as well.

I bought the 8350 3 years ago, almost to the day so that means one bulb lasts me 1.5 years. That's not bad IMO considering how often I watch tv down here.

Do any of you guys use your projector for tv watching with the lights on? If so how many hours can you do that with your bulbs? I of course turn off the lights for movies but I like sports and tv shows with the lights on.

Hmm it does depend on the show though... comedies lights stay on. Shows like Game of Thrones, House of Cards, etc. lights are off.
Considering how bright my room is during the day, I don't need the lights on. BUT!!! I am taking the windows out in the next couple of weeks and reframing the holes and that will knock out 75% of my light problem and help with contain some of the sound for now until I can get the room sound proofed in a couple of months. I need to go get an HD cable box with an HDMI output for the projector, I keep forgetting to go and get it. I will certainly watch more TV in the theater when I get it. Probably more sports than anything. I know one thing my theater chairs are dangerous, I am asleep in 10 minutes, to comfy. We watched Snowpiercer last night and I don't remember anything.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #24761 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
I don't have Dirac directly on the XM-1 yet (although on the lounge they are showing the GUI and say they have resolved the networking issues, so it will likely ship very soon). I am using the free 2 channel trial on Dirac's website. Check rcohen's link. Carp I am finding for the type of music you listen to the difference is greater for my perception. Seems like it resolves complicated sections and further reduces listener fatigue in those type of "busy" genres. Notice it a bit less in dance type music with simpler arrangements. Just my anecdotal opinion so far.
When you take measurements, see if you can select 7.1 from the drop down. 2 channel is the default, but the free trial should be capable of surround.

My take on Dirac Live has been pretty similar. It does noticeably better than Audyssey. It seems to tighten things up, while Audyssey seems to make things a little muddy. It sounds less like you are in a room and more like you are wearing headphones. The degree of the difference depends on the room.

Also, it gives you excellent control and iteration over the target curve, so it is great for tuning the sound to your taste/music, even if it didn't do room correction. I find this to be at least as useful as the room correction.

A couple areas where you can get into trouble, though, is making sure the clip light isn't flashing, and getting a nice treble curve with speakers like JTRs with extended treble. I had to zoom into the right side of the graph before the UI would like me get the curve I was after, without spiking the treble at the end. The UI seems to be designed for speakers where the treble isn't flat past 20khz.
carp and lbrown105 like this.
post #24762 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I already have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. I thought of using a 4K TV for RMAF, but we used Jeff's plasma instead.

During setup for RMAF, I also installed Dirac Live and took measurements with it. It is very easy to use. Unfortunately the filters wouldn't work and I didn't hear back from Dirac support in time to actually try it out in our room. I wanted to compare to our manual filter setup.
post #24763 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Ok, wow, sounds like I have to try this! So, just go to the website and download a free trial? I'll try that this afternoon if I get time. I play all my music from my computer so I assume this will work for music listening. I don't play movies from my computer but I could try some clips that I have saved.
lbrown105 likes this.
post #24764 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
I assume he's talking about the trial.
The free trial works for up to 8 channels, unless they changed something.
http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store.aspx
Thanks!!
post #24765 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Considering how bright my room is during the day, I don't need the lights on. BUT!!! I am taking the windows out in the next couple of weeks and reframing the holes and that will knock out 75% of my light problem and help with contain some of the sound for now until I can get the room sound proofed in a couple of months. I need to go get an HD cable box with an HDMI output for the projector, I keep forgetting to go and get it. I will certainly watch more TV in the theater when I get it. Probably more sports than anything. I know one thing my theater chairs are dangerous, I am asleep in 10 minutes, to comfy. We watched Snowpiercer last night and I don't remember anything.

Same here man...

I thought my Lazy Boy seats were comfortable - and they are - but the new HT seats are dangerous. After the Royals went down by a few runs I was starting to nod off last night. You have the Lane 103's right? I have the Row One (used to be Barcalounger) Manhattan's. I think yours, like mine, recline pretty far back unlike a lot of the HT seats that don't recline very far.
post #24766 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Same here man...

After the Royals went down by a few runs I was starting to nod off last night.
A few runs ... you did fall asleep early ...

Tonight might be a different story with Mad Bum on the bench.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #24767 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
A few runs ... you did fall asleep early ...

Tonight might be a different story with Mad Bum on the bench.

Yep 5-0 and 5 beers I was done.

I hope Ventura has his usual 100-101 fastball tonight instead of 97-98 like last time. I think something is wrong with his shoulder. Must be nice to throw 98 mph and not be 100%.

I like JTR speakers.
audiovideoholic likes this.
post #24768 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Yep 5-0 and 5 beers I was done.

I hope Ventura has his usual 100-101 fastball tonight instead of 97-98 like last time. I think something is wrong with his shoulder. Must be nice to throw 98 mph and not be 100%.

I like JTR speakers.
I kinda like DD's JayTeeAre or even JayTeaAre.

Haven't heard them in a few weeks as I'm waiting on processors.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #24769 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Same here man...

I thought my Lazy Boy seats were comfortable - and they are - but the new HT seats are dangerous. After the Royals went down by a few runs I was starting to nod off last night. You have the Lane 103's right? I have the Row One (used to be Barcalounger) Manhattan's. I think yours, like mine, recline pretty far back unlike a lot of the HT seats that don't recline very far.
Yep, Lane 103's. They also don't get hot like you said even though they are shinny. I really love the chairs. I realized that I could fit a 4th seat and I have been trying to locate one, no dice so far.

JayTeeAre speakers rule
post #24770 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I need some help here. I share my Blu Ray player (oppo 103) for my music CD's and I am having a problem with my rear single 8's are active with 2 channel music. They are not showing on the AVR faceplate that they are even engaged. I really did have time to get in and dig around and try to find the problem yet as I have been hanging panels all day, but the few things I tried did not work? This is my first time actually running 7 speakers as I always had a 5.2 set up. But anyway, if anybody has an idea here, I could use the help. Thanks.
post #24771 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
^^

I thought insurance covered damage caused by lightning. I asked my insurance company awhile back and they said they did. Man that sucks, sorry to hear about that.
It does but the deductible is like for fire so like 1% of total amount insured. We have $500,000 coverage for a total loss so deductible would have been $5,000 and after they depreciated everything we would have only gotten paid like $3,000. So for $3,000 would have had a $10,000 claim on record and only got $3,000 worth of covered items.
We have properties in our name too which have had two claims in past 5 years with a commercial policy and didn't want any more premium hikes.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; Yesterday at 06:49 PM.
post #24772 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 777
I'm at a Straight No Chaser concert at the midland theater in Kansas City. I really enjoy the group but the speakers here are bad. After the first song my wife said you are disappointed with the sound aren't you. I said yes. I said you must be too or you wouldn't have said anything. She nodded. She said I can't understand a word they are saying. A big venue like this would do better with a single pair of 212HT and about four orbit shifters I'm quite sure. The bass was really muddy, the highs not clear at all from the line array speakers. Having great sound really spoils you for concert events. I keep finding my sound at home is better than the sound at live events.
N8DOGG, RMK!, NWCgrad and 1 others like this.
post #24773 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I need some help here. I share my Blu Ray player (oppo 103) for my music CD's and I am having a problem with my rear single 8's are active with 2 channel music. They are not showing on the AVR faceplate that they are even engaged. I really did have time to get in and dig around and try to find the problem yet as I have been hanging panels all day, but the few things I tried did not work? This is my first time actually running 7 speakers as I always had a 5.2 set up. But anyway, if anybody has an idea here, I could use the help. Thanks.
You have to engage a 7.1 dsp. PLX, NEO 6, all channel stereo etc. On my 80.3, if blu-rays are 5.1, I have to run plx over top of any 5.1 mode, they will only engage with 7.1 material on their own.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24774 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm at a Straight No Chaser concert at the midland theater in Kansas City. I really enjoy the group but the speakers here are bad. After the first song my wife said you are disappointed with the sound aren't you. I said yes. I said you must be too or you wouldn't have said anything. She nodded. She said I can't understand a word they are saying. A big venue like this would do better with a single pair of 212HT and about four orbit shifters I'm quite sure. The bass was really muddy, the highs not clear at all from the line array speakers. Having great sound really spoils you for concert events. I keep finding my sound at home is better than the sound at live events.

What the hell are you doing man?!?!?! I know you aren't a sports guys but good lord almighty you were something like 6 years old the last time we made the post season. You just missed us have a 5 run inning!!

Just kidding man, I know you aren't into it. I just can't understand it though. Kirstin just said, "I like Straight No Chaser, but come on!"
post #24775 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I bet tonight's game sounds better on the 215's than last night's game. To bad it is so late and I have to get up early....I hope they hold the lead.

Sucks to see a good band live only to hear them through a crap PA system.
carp and Archaea like this.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #24776 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
You have to engage a 7.1 dsp. PLX, NEO 6, all channel stereo etc. On my 80.3, if blu-rays are 5.1, I have to run plx over top of any 5.1 mode, they will only engage with 7.1 material on their own.
No, I want them off. I only want to run the fronts two 215's.
post #24777 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
*snip*
Having great sound really spoils you for concert events. I keep finding my sound at home is better than the sound at live events.
So true -- not a JTR owner (sorry guys ), but I know exactly what you mean. However, I'm sure, unlike you, the one thing I do think venues can beat me on is the chest slam. Fortunately, that's probably more due to my (lack of) tune than the abilities of my speakers, but, none-the-less I could use some more. The clarity, however, is unquestionably in my favor.

That said, I can remember when I was in IASCA w/ a 150db+ capable SQ competition car. I loved it...then I went to the Dysfunctional Family Picnic concert in Jones Beach -- holy @#$% the bass there! System Of A Down came on near the very end, they were tuning the system, and the kick drum, holy S@#$!!! Seriously, I felt like my ribs were caving in, lol. It was NUTS! And an outdoor venue.... The only time I ever felt my car was lacking, lol. Unfortunately, my house setup still can't compete with the ridiculously insane bass I achieved in that car, but....I don't know that I could handle that any more, lol.
Archaea likes this.
post #24778 of 24780 Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
What the hell are you doing man?!?!?! I know you aren't a sports guys but good lord almighty you were something like 6 years old the last time we made the post season. You just missed us have a 5 run inning!!

Just kidding man, I know you aren't into it. I just can't understand it though. Kirstin just said, "I like Straight No Chaser, but come on!"
My mom was a music teacher and both mom and dad sing and play multiple instruments each. I played trombone in high school and college, as well as sang in chamber choir and show choir in high school and college. I can't express how much I'd rather attend a Straight No Chasers concert than watch the world series game on tv. I just don't care much about professional sports, I like to play sports,but that's where it ends. The concert was a blast, I highly recommend them if you see them on tour again. Great singing, lots of talent!!! I bought the tickets a month back anyway for my wife's birthday, so the choice of nights is just happenstance.

Funny - they worked the Royals into several of their skits, songs, and content. They kept announcing the score and the audience would cheer, then they'd lament we were cheering louder for the sports team than for them. Several times the audience broke out in let's go Royals clapping chants. It was high energy fun. The concert was sold out, but only about 75% of the seats filled, assumably because of the game. They poked the audience on that too. They are a quite humorous group. Reminds me a bit of whose line is it anyway type antics between songs.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #24779 of 24780 Old Today, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My mom was a music teacher and both mom and dad sing and play multiple instruments each. I played trombone in high school and college, as well as sang in chamber choir and show choir in high school and college. I can't express how much I'd rather attend a Straight No Chasers concert than watch the world series game on tv. I just don't care much about professional sports, I like to play sports,but that's where it ends. The concert was a blast, I highly recommend them if you see them on tour again. Great singing, lots of talent!!! I bought the tickets a month back anyway for my wife's birthday, so the choice of nights is just happenstance.

Funny - they worked the Royals into several of their skits, songs, and content. They kept announcing the score and the audience would cheer, then they'd lament we were cheering louder for the sports team than for them. Several times the audience broke out in let's go Royals clapping chants. It was high energy fun. The concert was sold out, but only about 75% of the seats filled, assumably because of the game. They poked the audience on that too. They are a quite humorous group. Reminds me a bit of whose line is it anyway type antics between songs.

I hear ya buddy, just giving you a hard time. I can relate to the family musical gene a little bit, my sister is one of those people that can play anything - and I mean anything - by ear on the piano even if she just hears it one time - it's crazy. That gene skipped me unfortunately.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page