Official JTR speaker thread - Page 826 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6934Likes

post #24751 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
BTW, the only level 3 THX certified installer in the world is Chuck Norris!!!!
A Chuck Norris calibrated theater gives you a kick in the chest . . . using only a single Bose bass module.
RMK! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24752 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
That room is so sick. I think it said he was a THX level 2 installer/trained so I assume he knows a thing or two about sight and sound

BTW, the only level 3 THX certified installer in the world is Chuck Norris!!!!
Yeah, this is not his first rodeo.
post #24753 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
That's a nice setup Quil. How big is the room? Man if that's a sealed room. And it's really not that big. I'd definately go dual S2. But for big or small sized room. And looks like your on ground floor meaning concrete. Can't go wrong with dual OS. I say get dual OS. Man, I just wish some of you have to experience sealed subs on a sub floor. Especially the second floor of a home. Chasing single digits is so worth it and fun, fun, fun. I think OS means " Overkill SPL"! Lol.. I love it. Oh and btw, just a tip, and I said this many times I know. Get those subs on their own circuit. The beast inside the OS or the S2 will be released. Getting into the single digits, if you care about single digits, takes gobs of power to dig deep. Good luck with your decision Quil. And nice setup you got.
The room is sealed, and 20'-4"x15'-8" x 10' ceilings....and it is on concrete. I not only have my own circuit, but my (good friend) electrician gave me my own fuse panel for the HT...most everything is on its own circuit .

I think I might go the dual OS route and just cut a section of the 3.5" deep false wall to fit the depth (that will leave 5" from sub to front wall for treatment). Was thinking of putting the subs between the LCR 212HT's behind the screen... So in the pic I attached earlier, the entire "opening" would be speakers...
post #24754 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
The room is sealed, and 20'-4"x15'-8" x 10' ceilings....and it is on concrete. I not only have my own circuit, but my (good friend) electrician gave me my own fuse panel for the HT...most everything is on its own circuit .

I think I might go the dual OS route and just cut a section of the 3.5" deep false wall to fit the depth (that will leave 5" from sub to front wall for treatment). Was thinking of putting the subs between the LCR 212HT's behind the screen... So in the pic I attached earlier, the entire "opening" would be speakers...
That's going to be a awesome combo with the 212's. Putting sealed sub on concrete floor will not give you much down in the sub frequencys. I'd rather have tremendous output from 20 up.. With dual OS? Yup! That'll do it all right.. Nice!
post #24755 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:

Sounds like a phenomenal plan. If you were to build platforms for the seating and put near-field sealed subs, like behind the couches, that would give you the tactile aspect as well. Normally the near-field subs are a few db down so you'd still be getting most of your bass from the OSs.
post #24756 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Sounds like a phenomenal plan. If you were to build platforms for the seating and put near-field sealed subs, like behind the couches, that would give you the tactile aspect as well. Normally the near-field subs are a few db down so you'd still be getting most of your bass from the OSs.
For tactile, I have buttkicker Advances ordered up 1-1 with the 6 recliners that are on order. Pushing them with a iNuke 3000 dsp. ...in case the dual OS LFUs aren't "tactile" enough!

On a related note, I'm arranging them like this behind the screen wall:
"212HT | OS |21HT | OS | 212HT

would it be best to route the horns out to the LR corners, or inward, toward one-another?
Nabs17 and carp like this.
post #24757 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Does anybody use a wireless sub transmitter to send the LFE signal to their subs? I am tinkering with the idea of placing a nearfield sub behind my HT seats but running an XLR wire from my equipment to behind the seats would be a major undertaking. I see they sell them on places like Amazon but not sure how good/reliable they are. Gut is telling me it wouldn't be ideal to try and run a wireless sub connection.
post #24758 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I am running mine full range, I am pretty sure everybody is on the JTR thread that owns them?
Nope, I don't. Just when I run them 2 channel, not for HT.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #24759 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally got my JTR's....and a loud humm..

Hey all JTR lovers.

Received my third JTR triple 12 HT LP today. Lugged it up stairs positioned, rand room correction from my 4311 and changed crossovers to 80. The front three speakers in aduessy (can't every remember how to spell it) were -12. Anyway, fired up the TV and put on some HD channel and then skipped around. The speakers sounded pretty clear but after about 2 minutes (i'm a little deaf) I realized there was a background hum. I'm running the first 5 speakers including the fronts from an old LPA 1 and the 2 rears off the 4311.

So, I know I've read in this thread about Gen 1 Emo amps causing hum due to high gain but I couldn't find it again. I'm thinking this is the problem. If it is I'm wondering if the 4311 would be enough to run the whole show or if I should add maybe a emotiva xpa 3 for the fronts and let the 4311 run the surrounds. Tomorrow I'm playing hooky from work to enjoy the speakers so I think the first thing I'll do is hook them all up the 4311 and see where that takes me.

Any advice or halfway constructive criticism is welcome.

PS,
Lugging these boys upstairs was no easy chore. Love the look and heft of these. I think they would survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon.
post #24760 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
I'd recommend trying a cheap cheater plug (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug) first to see if you a ground loop. You could also connect all of the grounds (chassis) of your gear with wire, which will also alleviate a ground loop and is the preferred method of addressing ground loops.
post #24761 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron5 View Post
Hey all JTR lovers.

Received my third JTR triple 12 HT LP today. Lugged it up stairs positioned, rand room correction from my 4311 and changed crossovers to 80. The front three speakers in aduessy (can't every remember how to spell it) were -12. Anyway, fired up the TV and put on some HD channel and then skipped around. The speakers sounded pretty clear but after about 2 minutes (i'm a little deaf) I realized there was a background hum. I'm running the first 5 speakers including the fronts from an old LPA 1 and the 2 rears off the 4311.

So, I know I've read in this thread about Gen 1 Emo amps causing hum due to high gain but I couldn't find it again. I'm thinking this is the problem. If it is I'm wondering if the 4311 would be enough to run the whole show or if I should add maybe a emotiva xpa 3 for the fronts and let the 4311 run the surrounds. Tomorrow I'm playing hooky from work to enjoy the speakers so I think the first thing I'll do is hook them all up the 4311 and see where that takes me.

PS,
Lugging these boys upstairs was no easy chore. Love the look and heft of these. I think they would survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon.
Congratulation on the Triple 12's. And welcome to the JTR family.. I never heard the T12's before. But I've read a lot about them. And they are stellar performers. As far as humming goes, there's lots of variables. Amps, ground loops. I've even heard of not trying to put a high powered amp close to BD/DVD players and receivers. Wiring could be of cause too.
post #24762 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 PM

I've had the same set up running paradigms and never had a ground loop hum at all. How would I connect all the grounds by wire? I'll try anything as I love this LPA amp and it's served me well.
post #24763 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you by chance have cable TV attached anywhere in your system? Thats the #1 culprit for hum. Also, your RCA's are another big culprit. Try the cheater plug and if that doesn't work and you have cable, get a 60hz humm eliminator.

post #24764 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've had the same set up running paradigms and never had a ground loop hum at all. How would I connect all the grounds by wire? I'll try anything as I love this LPA amp and it's served me well.
That's because JTR's speakers are very sensitive. Don't really need much power to hit reference clean. Do you have the amp soley on its own circuit? That might help. I have my 4 S2's each on their own. And the Inuke 6000 and 12000 for my 215's each on their own too. Just my avr, tv, bd, game consoles share 1 through a monster. I got zero hum. But, I'm not saying that that illuminated a possible hum. I just paid my electrician to add the additional 20 amp cuircuts. Just because I being very particular that way. So I don't know if that will help with your hum. But its worth a try.
post #24765 of 35302 Old 10-27-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I have an os (soon to be 2) near field, behind to the left and soon to the right of my couch. Bad thing? Replace them with sealed and put the os up front?
My OS is currently (on a temporary basis) set up in my bedroom, next to my bed. Although, on the far side.

In my opinion, i could always 'feel' the subwoofer there. I don't like to be able to 'know where the bass is coming from'... and it's not too bad being about 5 feet away (far end of the bed), but if i were to sit next to it, i do not like it at all...

The only time i ever liked a nearfield sub is when back in college days i had the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble 4, which comes with 2x8inch very flat subs, which i can place right under my bed. I could not tell they are there, but they sure give me a kick and turns my bed into auto-massage...

And those subs were sealed.

In any case, everyone's different, so experiment and see what you like?
post #24766 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
For tactile, I have buttkicker Advances ordered up 1-1 with the 6 recliners that are on order. Pushing them with a iNuke 3000 dsp. ...in case the dual OS LFUs aren't "tactile" enough!

On a related note, I'm arranging them like this behind the screen wall:
"212HT | OS |21HT | OS | 212HT

would it be best to route the horns out to the LR corners, or inward, toward one-another?
Not sure what part of Alberta you're in but if you want to play with a couple OS's first hand I'm in calgary.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:
http://www.avs...
post #24767 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 AM

Got it figured out. Woke up this morning with the idea of hooking up my JTR's to the 4311 and the surrounds only to the amp (duh). Worked out perfectly. Man, these speakers are everything everyone has said and more. My HT is now done. My next move is to not visit sites like this anymore so I don't get tempted...
post #24768 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Got it figured out. Woke up this morning with the idea of hooking up my JTR's to the 4311 and the surrounds only to the amp (duh). Worked out perfectly. Man, these speakers are everything everyone has said and more. My HT is now done. My next move is to not visit sites like this anymore so I don't get tempted...
Yep, stay away, far away. RMK is killing us today
Baron5 likes this.
post #24769 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
He is telling the TRUFF!!!! Visiting AVS, and especially the JTR thread, can have an inverse relationship between your wallet and your HT happiness. There is always a something new and shinny that has to bought!!!!!
post #24770 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Hey all JTR lovers.

PS,

If your mains and center are doing trim levels of -12 then you have a problem. If you have a Prepro, install Harrison Labs 12 dB RCA Line Level Audio Attenuator so that you can get the proper trim levels. I had to do it for my JTR Quintuples.
post #24771 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Not to worry, and I'm in no hurry to make any changes as I think the 215RT and the M2 may be closer in fidelity than I reported. The music played at the GC demo was so amazing that it may have colored my impressions. The second demo was less impressive even though it was very well recorded music that sounded great. I'm going to try and get a copy of that music and listen on the 215RT's for a fair evaluation.

BTW, the MSLP for 3 M2's plus amps, tax and shipping is $40K. Considering I have under $14K into my current front end that's a pretty big number, no?

Opinions are not facts.
post #24772 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Not to worry, and I'm in no hurry to make any changes as I think the 215RT and the M2 may be closer in fidelity than I reported. The music played at the GC demo was so amazing that it may have colored my impressions. The second demo was less impressive even though it was very well recorded music that sounded great. I'm going to try and get a copy of that music and listen on the 215RT's for a fair evaluation.

BTW, the MSLP for 3 M2's plus amps, tax and shipping is $40K. Considering I have under $14K into my current front end that's a pretty big number, no?
3 M2s are $40k? That is absurd! The speakers aren't even close to half that so are really just paying for EQ/amps. I honestly figured there would be some discounts available with them that aren't showing on the net. I see just under $20k for pair online so that's what I was going by.

Sorry. Just over $18k on amps/EQ so over half towards speakers by a smidgen.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 10-28-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #24773 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
3 M2s are $40k? That is absurd! The speakers aren't even close to half that so are really just paying for EQ/amps. I honestly figured there would be some discounts available with them that aren't showing on the net. I see just under $20k for pair online so that's what I was going by.
Not quite that expensive:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M2System
post #24774 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Yea that's what I was going by with just under $20k so logically figured with a deal from retailer could get LCR for just under $30k even if had to pay taxes/shipping.
post #24775 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

From the reviews I could understand $25-30k but I would feel like an object had been inserted into me with a $40k quote to my door in all honesty.
post #24776 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
So.. Is that for a pair of M2's and 2 amps? Is that the only amps it uses? What about the cc?
post #24777 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 399
I was quoted wayyyyyyy under 20k a couple of months back for a pair with crown amp...way as in under 14k shipped. Don't quote me though...guy may have given me individual price. I'll have to double check that scrap envelope I wrote down on.
post #24778 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

They are close to 40K retail in Canada for 3 + amps. I just talked to my buddy who can get them in to his pro audio store. yikes!!!

post #24779 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I was quoted wayyyyyyy under 20k a couple of months back for a pair with crown amp...way as in under 14k shipped. I'll have to double check that scrap envelope I wrote down on.
Yea that what I was assuming. Deals have to be out there one would think. And $14k seems like a good deal and money well spent. I wonder if the single cabinet/amp can be had for the same deal for LCR?
post #24780 of 35302 Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
So.. Is that for a pair of M2's and 2 amps? Is that the only amps it uses? What about the cc?
Yea. That price on there has been the same for a few months so I would imagine that's not the bottom figure or I could be totally wrong and there isn't any wiggle room from them either.

The amps are configured specifically for the M2s and were built together using the EQ on that amp but it's possible to purchase only the speakers and use another form of EQ; although, I doubt they will give one the exact settings to plug into another EQ system. GDoc mentioned this I believe before he purchased them as a package.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 10-28-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page