Official JTR speaker thread - Page 844 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6931Likes

Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0nestar View Post
I've thought about the false wall... Only problem is that the room is only 20 feet deep and I'm seating 6 in two rows of 3. I may be able to make it work if I drop the projector back a foot or two and get the receiver / oppo out of the rack and into the wall.

Speaking of the back...I could move the sub to the back corner, behind the seating.
I have a similar situation with an attic space behind my front wall. I have always wanted to flush the screen and mount the speakers (and IB subs)) in that front wall but there is a hip roof on the other side of the wall that doesn't allow for the L&R speakers to be in wall. If you don't have that limitation, that might be a good way for you to go...
L0nestar likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 331 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Hmm it looks like I have to have my projector on or the audio HDMI connection fails. That won't work, i don't want to have the projector on every time I listen to music. Is there a way around this?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 1381
@carp

I decided a couple of days ago to do exactly what your doing with the free Dirac trial. Ran the calibration, played some music and thought it was much better than Audyssey since I felt it didn't deaden the highs like Audyssey does. I thought I had a winner on my hands.

Then I had @DreamWarrior over the next day to listen to some music and I told him how Dirac was so much better than Audyssey, blah, blah. Well, we listened for a while and then I started turning the Dirac filters on and off and we couldn't tell any difference at all. So no wonder I thought it didn't mess with my highs at all. Apparently, as far as we could tell, it really wasn't doing anything at all in my room . So curious as to your impressions.
audiovideoholic likes this.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
@carp

I decided a couple of days ago to do exactly what your doing with the free Dirac trial. Ran the calibration, played some music and thought it was much better than Audyssey since I felt it didn't deaden the highs like Audyssey does. I thought I had a winner on my hands.

Then I had @DreamWarrior over the next day to listen to some music and I told him how Dirac was so much better than Audyssey, blah, blah. Well, we listened for a while and then I started turning the Dirac filters on and off and we couldn't tell any difference at all. So no wonder I thought it didn't mess with my highs at all. Apparently, as far as we could tell, it really wasn't doing anything at all in my room . So curious as to your impressions.
What mic did you use for the calibration?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hmm it looks like I have to have my projector on or the audio HDMI connection fails. That won't work, i don't want to have the projector on every time I listen to music. Is there a way around this?
If you're just using Dirac for 2 channel music for evaluation, then run the HDMI out from the AVR to the monitor in the back of your room, not the projector. That would give you the handshake you need.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What mic did you use for the calibration?
I used the UMIK-1
Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Carp, after you get the Dirac running it will become your soundcard that you choose and you will see it listed in the Control Panel>Sound window you posted above. Then the Dirac controller will have an output selector and you choose the HDMI out. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you're just using Dirac for 2 channel music for evaluation, then run the HDMI out from the AVR to the monitor in the back of your room, not the projector. That would give you the handshake you need.
Thanks!

It works, the audio plays through my avr. What's strange though is I get no picture on the monitor. Fortunately I have remote desktop setup on my laptop which is how I'm typing this right now. I hardly ever use the monitor in the back of the room so it's not a huge issue, and I guess if I want to see the PC image on the projector I can just switch the cords in the next room.

Ok, now I'm all set to try Dirac assuming my omnimic will work. It will have to wait though since I watch football all day on Sundays.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Carp, after you get the Dirac running it will become your soundcard that you choose and you will see it listed in the Control Panel>Sound window you posted above. Then the Dirac controller will have an output selector and you choose the HDMI out. Hope this helps.
Cool, thanks Lance. We had a heck of a time getting Dirac going at the GTG but now I kind of have an idea of what to do. Looks like a lot of fun just to play with, can't wait to mess with the target curve.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Don't know if I selected any output in the Dirac controller. Maybe that was my problem.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm. Don't know if I selected any output in the Dirac controller. Maybe that was my problem.
That could be it, plus I think the ability to pick a response curve to your liking would be something that you would definitely notice a difference between Dirac and no Dirac.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the great part. Once you get the room measured adding different target curves is soooo fast. Then you can load up to four different target curves in the DIracc control box and instantly switch back and forth between them or Dirac off. Makes for great quick change comparisons.

Just make sure you run through the full measurement procedure a couple of times and save the projects separately. I go better impulse response improvements with a larger volume of measurement space (nine is the total number). Side to side, forward and back slightly and up and down slightly too.

My two week trial is over and this sucks. I would purchase it today but my pre pro is supposed to be implemented with it in Dec so I need to wait. This sucks!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Oh yeah, also depending on how much boost you may add with a given target curve (I think Dirac maxes at +10dB) you need to make sure the clip light isn't coming on during music playback. It is an input clip indicator so MV does not factor in but filter boosting does. In default (-8dB) I have never seen the clip light come on though.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That could be it, plus I think the ability to pick a response curve to your liking would be something that you would definitely notice a difference between Dirac and no Dirac.
easy to tell if you are actually getting correction. First by switching on and off I found an easily detectable difference. If still not sure hit the let arrow and go into that window and adjust the input level up or down (8dB of adjustment) you should hear volume go up or down, if not then you are not running through Dirac.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Ahhh what a pain!! If I switch inputs on my AVR (to directv is what I just did) and then go back to the HDMI PC input on my AVR then the audio doesn't work again and my computer says that the HDMI is not plugged in again.

To fix it I have to go back to the other room and unplug the HDMI cord and plug it back in and then it works again. Also, I have to shut down the music player on my computer and restart it before it will work again.

It's too bad the mini doesn't have an input for optical or coax digital this is a pain!!!!

I'm starting to hate HDMI....
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's the great part. Once you get the room measured adding different target curves is soooo fast. Then you can load up to four different target curves in the DIracc control box and instantly switch back and forth between them or Dirac off. Makes for great quick change comparisons.

Just make sure you run through the full measurement procedure a couple of times and save the projects separately. I go better impulse response improvements with a larger volume of measurement space (nine is the total number). Side to side, forward and back slightly and up and down slightly too.

My two week trial is over and this sucks. I would purchase it today but my pre pro is supposed to be implemented with it in Dec so I need to wait. This sucks!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Oh yeah, also depending on how much boost you may add with a given target curve (I think Dirac maxes at +10dB) you need to make sure the clip light isn't coming on during music playback. It is an input clip indicator so MV does not factor in but filter boosting does. In default (-8dB) I have never seen the clip light come on though.

Uh oh.... is that the Emotiva pre pro? Hasn't that had constant delays?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the left window. If you hit the < arrow on the right side it takes you back to the main filter selector page. The hitting the > from that page n the right side takes you to the time alignment and level window. Also you can see the output selector on this screen shot. Right now none is selected, but here is where you select your HDMI out. Sorry if I am posting the obvious.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Uh oh.... is that the Emotiva pre pro? Hasn't that had constant delays?
yes they have missed deadlines but the unit has a great build quality and design and I really like it. They are now finalizing the microphones so I just have to be a little more patient. So far it has been worth the wait and from what I have seen from Dirac, audyssey may be in big trouble
Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 30
terraforms

I have 4 Seaton terraforms, which should handle below 20 Hz content tremendously. Each is tuned to 12 hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Above 20 or 40 is nice and all but what about below 20 where you are made apart of the movies and various explosions? I'm definitely in the below 20 Hz camp as far as strong output. But I know many have said the OS above 20Hz is something to behold.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

screen shot didn't work before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirac screen shot.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	357978  
Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yes they have missed deadlines but the unit has a great build quality and design and I really like it. They are now finalizing the microphones so I just have to be a little more patient. So far it has been worth the wait and from what I have seen from Dirac, audyssey may be in big trouble
Do you mean you have the pre/pro already? Just waiting for a firmware update that includes Dirac?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean you have the pre/pro already? Just waiting for a firmware update that includes Dirac?
yes that's right. it is really nice and dead quiet. I had the LG on +35dB gain and the xmc-1 was still dead quiet even on the 212's. impressive build quality
carp likes this.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post
I have 4 Seaton terraforms, which should handle below 20 Hz content tremendously. Each is tuned to 12 hz.
Why only 12 Hz? Just kidding...EnduroBass it is. -
Old 11-09-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I've tried my best to get this Dirac to do something and I just can't get it to work.

Edit: Whew(wipes brow). Close call. I had actually been considering setting up an HTPC. This has quickly reminded me that the last thing I want to do is bring the headaches of a computer into my music world.
NWCgrad likes this.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 11-09-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I have a similar situation with an attic space behind my front wall. I have always wanted to flush the screen and mount the speakers (and IB subs)) in that front wall but there is a hip roof on the other side of the wall that doesn't allow for the L&R speakers to be in wall. If you don't have that limitation, that might be a good way for you to go...
Thanks for the input RMK!...

I'm getting some interesting advice in the home theater design section.

"Projection screen way too big." 120inches at 14 feet?

Wrong type of speakers for the room. "Picked the equipment before room design was done. This is a huge problem". Is it just me or shouldn't we all design our rooms around our speakers?

"Flushing speakers makes them sound worse." No one can tell me why.

I'm so confused. lol.

...Sometimes I wish I could just hang out in my JTR foxhole. You guys get me.

Maximum Un-Intelligence.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Wow. I guess I won't ask about any design decisions for my less than optimal living room home theater. I guess I'm with you on 2 of the 3 (not trying to flush mount though).
Old 11-09-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've tried my best to get this Dirac to do something and I just can't get it to work.

Edit: Whew(wipes brow). Close call. I had actually been considering setting up an HTPC. This has quickly reminded me that the last thing I want to do is bring the headaches of a computer into my music world.
That's too bad Doc. Have you confirmed it is running as your soundcard yet? Not sure if you are having trouble getting it to work at all or just perform they way you want it too.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's too bad Doc. Have you confirmed it is running as your soundcard yet? Not sure if you are having trouble getting it to work at all or just perform they way you want it too.
Can't get to work at all. Selected Dirac as soundcard and every output choice in Dirac processor and can't get it to process anything
Old 11-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Hey @carp I hope you didn't miss the KC game futzing with HDMI. Man it sucks living on the east coast.

Two ears and a brain comprise a powerful acoustical analysis tool, able to extract enormous resolution, detail, and pleasure from circumstances that, when subject to mere technical measurements, seem to be disastrous. Floyd Toole
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html[/B]
Old 11-09-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can't get to work at all. Selected Dirac as soundcard and every output choice in Dirac processor and can't get it to process anything
were you able to measure your room with the Dirac calibration tool and create filters?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
were you able to measure your room with the Dirac calibration tool and create filters?
Yes, no problem there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis