post #25831 of 25844 Old Today, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Some good news out of all of this "midbass drama". I told my wife about how I've been a pain on the forum complaining about the midbass. I mentioned that some of it was the speaker, some the room, and some the operator (me). We talked about the various options and things I might do but the pertinent part for this discussion is her receptivity to adding additional treatments, especially to the front wall and ceiling. Since this "theater" room is also our living room, it was essential to get her buy in. I will be looking to implement treatments that are stylish yet effective so this should be an informative and interesting journey. To this point I've implemented a few art treatments on the wall using info from this thread (DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!).
Tomorrow should be fun, I am looking forward to meeting you and listening to the 212HT, 212 HT LP and the Cat 12s in my room...that way I know how everything sounds on my home turf. The Skyline chili, Graeter's ice cream, and excessive volume levels will just be icing on the cake!!!

As far as room treatments, one of the funniest posts I ever read on this thread was when someone said they had a "fat" friend over and was moving him around the room as a bass trap...might have been beast??? Maybe just have a hefty friend over whenever you crank up your system
dgage and asoofi1 like this.

Last edited by Frohlich; Today at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25832 of 25844 Old Today, 12:39 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Tomorrow should be fun, I am looking forward to meeting you and listening to the 212HT, 212 HT LP and the Cat 12s in my room...that way I know how everything sounds on my home turf. The Skyline chili, Graeter's ice cream, and excessive volume levels will just be icing on the cake!!!

As far as room treatments, one of the funniest posts I ever read on this thread was when someone said they had a "fat" friend over and was moving him around the room as a bass trap...might have been beast??? Maybe just have a hefty friend over whenever you crank up your system
Reading bold from top to bottom is a prime example of cause and effect.

BTW, we call them bio bass traps.
dgage likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #25833 of 25844 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Ya, JBL makes great drivers but they are priced beyond insane if you are buying singles. $800-$1000 for a new 2242h.... What on earth are they smoking lol. I paid 400$ each for some used ones before I found my score of 300$ each used. @400$, I'd consider them to be a decent deal. Their markup is beyond what most would imagine possible, that 800$ 2242h costs less than 130$ to make....... They are even worse than Car audio stuff. I bought my 2 kicker 10" L7's in my truck for 63$ each new from my kicker rep at Visions but they JBL markup makes that look like I'm overpaying hahaha
I think JBL is more interested in selling speakers than drivers. In that case you just charge whatever you want
countryWV likes this.
post #25834 of 25844 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I paid like 250 Euro for a Beyma 21SW1600ND
So indeed the JBL pricing is insane. in the past lots of EV and JBL parts were used in "PA land" but things have changed quite a bit

is not the low tuning and the technical design of, for example the 215, causing the "lack" of midbass for some people in this thread ?
2x15" cabinet that needs to dig down deep and loud and the the coax compression driver needs to start low as well. Okay the BMS will do it, just like for example Community's M200 / M4 driver.....

For example Turbosound does not like to use compression drivers to start that low, they prefer cones.

Perhaps another cone driver to assist in the design to boost midbass?
Never experienced a JTR cabinet, so do not get me wrong, no bashing my friends.
post #25835 of 25844 Old Today, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
The original post must have been hilarious because yours was pretty damn funny.
post #25836 of 25844 Old Today, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Reading bold from top to bottom is a prime example of cause and effect.

BTW, we call them bio bass traps.
Luckily, after Skyline, we will be moving a few hundred pounds of speakers around so maybe it won't affect us too much.
post #25837 of 25844 Old Today, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 150
@subbass
The discussion on "lack of midbass" is specifically related to the 212ht-LP http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...thread-6035610

The 215RT is the Doctors Full range prescription for "lack of midbass" http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...eakers-6631501
Anyone who buys a pair has this disorder cured immediately.
You can read an owners impression here. http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...-owner-6911197

The 15" drivers are custom built to handle 18hz - 350hz. It is then XO to the 4593.

Last edited by countryWV; Today at 01:00 PM.
post #25838 of 25844 Old Today, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I think JBL is more interested in selling speakers than drivers. In that case you just charge whatever you want
true but they are beyond insane with their pricing.....imagine if you ever have to buy a driver for your M2's lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #25839 of 25844 Old Today, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
The 215RT is the Doctors Full range prescription for "lack of midbass" http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...eakers-6631501
I'll give that one a hell ya! lol
countryWV likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #25840 of 25844 Old Today, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
true but they are beyond insane with their pricing.....imagine if you ever have to buy a driver for your M2's lol
I'm not worried about it. I'm committed already. And I have to say that JBL support has exceeded my expectations by far and I am willing to pay for the demonstrated performance, testing, and engineering behind it all. But that's me, everyone has there own priorities.
post #25841 of 25844 Old Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Ya, JBL makes great drivers but they are priced beyond insane if you are buying singles. $800-$1000 for a new 2242h.... What on earth are they smoking lol. I paid 400$ each for some used ones before I found my score of 300$ each used. @400$, I'd consider them to be a decent deal. Their markup is beyond what most would imagine possible, that 800$ 2242h costs less than 130$ to make....... They are even worse than Car audio stuff. I bought my 2 kicker 10" L7's in my truck for 63$ each new from my kicker rep at Visions but they JBL markup makes that look like I'm overpaying hahaha
Quote:
Well they have to pay for the higher labor costs after moving from California to Mexico. I mean everyone knows CA is the home of cheap labor!

Mind blowing that during the rare-earth crunch (Thanks China) JBL basically doubled to price of raw drivers, crazy when the drivers typically used by DIYers were not Neo.

yes, I am still little pissed. I am sure they don't care, and it wont stop me from buying JBL in the future (which probably factors into their not caring).

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #25842 of 25844 Old Today, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Muscle has a higher absorption coefficient than fat. Best bass I ever had was when Archaea was in the room.
dgage likes this.
post #25843 of 25844 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Muscle has a higher absorption coefficient than fat. Best bass I ever had was when Archaea was in the room.
I was casually reading in my careless nature, and my mind merged these two quotes into:
As far as room treatments, one of the funniest posts I ever read on this thread was when someone said they had a "fat" friend over, best bass I ever had was when Archaea was in the room.

For a split second I was thinking dam DD that's quite a burn!

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #25844 of 25844 Old Today, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
@subbass
The discussion on "lack of midbass" is specifically related to the 212ht-LP http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...thread-6035610

You can read an owners impression here. http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...-owner-6911197

The 15" drivers are custom built to handle 18hz - 350hz. It is then XO to the 4593.
I'd just like to point out that the 215RM is one hell of a midbass/bass monster too as long as you use it with a subwoofer. The 215RM is one of my favorite speakers, with my personal caveat is that it sounds a little different on the upper end than the 212. Not better, not worse, just a little more laid back than the forward 212.

For home theater with someone that already has a strong sub system, I'd say the 215RM is the sweet spot. If you like music more or haven't been bitten by the AVS subwoofer system bug yet, the 215RT is definitely an awesome refrigerator, I mean speaker.
COACH2369 likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page