Official JTR speaker thread - Page 865 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #25921 of 29067 Old 11-22-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Hey Carp, I found your next car LOL I love the Marshall seats.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 11-22-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25922 of 29067 Old 11-22-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Haven't had any movie or music time lately. But today I finished work early. Stopped by my local BB store and picked up Into the Storm and Maleficiant. Just finished Into the Storm. This movie's surround mix really brings out the speakers dynamics. Especially the S8's. The bass is crazy too. The 215's is still putting a big grin on my face..lol
I still have Maleficent, T4 and Godzilla to watch. I could also afford to watch EOT again as I fell asleep, but I cannot stop with the concert blu rays and just plain old music. I just have not felt like watching movies. I gotta catch up soon as there are about 3 more in the next 2 weeks I want to see. I imagine with winter coming that there will be time. Something you don't know about you bostard.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 11-22-2014 at 08:05 PM.
post #25923 of 29067 Old 11-22-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I still have Maleficent, T4 and Godzilla to watch. I could also afford to watch EOT again as I fell asleep, but I cannot stop with the concert blu rays and just plain old music. I just have not felt like watching movies. I gotta catch up soon as there are about 3 more in the next 2 weeks I want to see. I imagine with winter coming that there will be time. Something you don't know about you bostard.
Wait! Winter? Alright reef.. Spit it out! What's that? Is that a new JTR speaker in the making?
post #25924 of 29067 Old 11-22-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wait! Winter? Alright reef.. Spit it out! What's that? Is that a new JTR speaker in the making?
I am sure Jeff knows more about winter than me. I don't think I could make it in the JTR town of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. Going to be in the 60's next few days here, so not quite winter yet.
post #25925 of 29067 Old 11-22-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
I haven't played any concert blurays yet since the total upgrade. But I do have a few. I guess I'll give MJ's "This Is It" a spin tomorrow.

Last edited by rhed; 11-22-2014 at 08:42 PM.
post #25926 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Hey Carp, I found your next car LOL I love the Marshall seats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sy4BHnkbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoShkvJsPHw

Woah!!! I'm not a car guy and never thought much of the Scion but that is bada$$!! I like that Slayer tune too, had a bit of a South of Heaven album feel, a little slowed down.
post #25927 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Just watched into the storm with the new 228s. Jeeezzee that movie seemed loud. I couldn't watch at reference level, not even close. It was a great test for these speakers, there was a lot of dynamic range which they handled with ease. I also noticed a lot of higher pitch stuff like water spraying, wind blowing, glass shattering, metal crunching and scraping sounds that would get very fatiging if u didn't have the right speakers. This I where I was most impressed with the 228s. Even cranked with those higher sounds my ears never felt strained. Klipsch basically ruined any chance of me buying any kind of horn speaker years ago when I heard them and had ear fatigue in 10ins. Not at all the case with the 228s. The speakers continue to impress me
carp, N8DOGG, Archaea and 3 others like this.

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #25928 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
Just watched into the storm with the new 228s. Jeeezzee that movie seemed loud. I couldn't watch at reference level, not even close. It was a great test for these speakers, there was a lot of dynamic range which they handled with ease. I also noticed a lot of higher pitch stuff like water spraying, wind blowing, glass shattering, metal crunching and scraping sounds that would get very fatiging if u didn't have the right speakers. This I where I was most impressed with the 228s. Even cranked with those higher sounds my ears never felt strained. Klipsch basically ruined any chance of me buying any kind of horn speaker years ago when I heard them and had ear fatigue in 10ins. Not at all the case with the 228s. The speakers continue to impress me
Congratulations man! The experience you're having now of listening to new speakers and experiencing things you haven't before is the highlight of this hobby IMO. Good times.
post #25929 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I remember my first movie with my T12's... It was Blade II and awesome! lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #25930 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1903 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
So I took my speakers over to a local AVS members place Friday night so that he could hear them, anyways when I got there I found out that he had a Anthem MRX-300 AVR with Arc room correction. I've always wanted to hear it and see what it could do, anyways I have to say that I'm extremely impressed. So much so that I think I'm going to buy I new MRX-710. I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing my speakers for anything over 500hz, and I really like how you can pick what the cut off point for the Arc EQ filters. If you wanted to only have it room corrected for 300hz and down you simply pick 300hz.

The other cool thing was how you can do one setup for movies with all of the channels plus subs, and then a second one for example where set them up as 2-channel with no subs. Once you've done that you can simply toggle back and forth from the two settings. Reminds me of the Cat12's where you have one program for movie use and then you can push the DSP button and switch to full range.

The room we were in had two dual opposed subs at the back of the room, when Arc was turned off you turn localize the subs right away and tell that they were behind you. With the Arc engaged the subs immediately disappear, all of a sudden the bass was all around you and it basically sounded like the speakers had all of a sudden turned themselves into a full range speaker. It was quite impressive and I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried out Anthem's Arc and what they thought about it?
post #25931 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
So I took my speakers over to a local AVS members place Friday night so that he could hear them, anyways when I got there I found out that he had a Anthem MRX-300 AVR with Arc room correction. I've always wanted to hear it and see what it could do, anyways I have to say that I'm extremely impressed. So much so that I think I'm going to buy I new MRX-710. I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing my speakers for anything over 500hz, and I really like how you can pick what the cut off point for the Arc EQ filters. If you wanted to only have it room corrected for 300hz and down you simply pick 300hz.

The other cool thing was how you can do one setup for movies with all of the channels plus subs, and then a second one for example where set them up as 2-channel with no subs. Once you've done that you can simply toggle back and forth from the two settings. Reminds me of the Cat12's where you have one program for movie use and then you can push the DSP button and switch to full range.

The room we were in had two dual opposed subs at the back of the room, when Arc was turned off you turn localize the subs right away and tell that they were behind you. With the Arc engaged the subs immediately disappear, all of a sudden the bass was all around you and it basically sounded like the speakers had all of a sudden turned themselves into a full range speaker. It was quite impressive and I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried out Anthem's Arc and what they thought about it?
I heard it once at a GTG but is was only for a few minutes as there were 30 people there. I've always been interested in it, people that have it seem to really like it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #25932 of 29067 Old 11-23-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I heard it once at a GTG but is was only for a few minutes as there were 30 people there. I've always been interested in it, people that have it seem to really like it.

Nate I was really shocked at how good it was. I'm gonna pick one up from a buddy of mine that works at a AV store and I'll have 30 days to try it out.
post #25933 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been watching the MRX-710 for along time. I remember I chatted at one of the GTG's with Mark Seaton about the Anthem and Arc, I was surprised as he knew quite a bit about it. You might save a few bucks by getting the 510 and just putting an amp on your mains or running it as a prepro, that is if you plan on using an amp. I believe that all three are the same other than power, but don't quote me on that. I emailed them recently to find out if they were going to release an Atmos unit or not. They said there were no plans at this time and they were pretty short with me. I was also surprised that there were part of Paradigm. I am between the Anthem, the XMC-1 or just adding a mini Dsp with Dirac.
post #25934 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

It was a shame that they didn't get a chance to properly test Dirac in the room EQ shootout. You get much better results, IMO, if you follow the natural rolloff at the top and bottom, rather than simply using the default curve.

Custom tuning the target curve is essential, since no default curve can be right to your room, your speakers, and your tastes. If that is done, I have found I can EQ over 500hz with no downside. Rather than making things more muddy, Dirac makes them less muddy. It's a little like the room disappears and you put on headphones.

I've never used ARC, so I can't comment on that, but considering you can try a Dirac Live trial for free, I would definitely recommend doing that before buying.
post #25935 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Congratulations man! The experience you're having now of listening to new speakers and experiencing things you haven't before is the highlight of this hobby IMO. Good times.
Ya I definatly agree. Nothing better than getting those huge boxes delivered to your house and then booking em up to see what they can do. Its even makes it that much better when you realize they are even better than u expected.

Anyway I got rain/snowed out of work today so you know what I'll be doing... DEMO DAY BABY!

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #25936 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
Ya I definatly agree. Nothing better than getting those huge boxes delivered to your house and then booking em up to see what they can do. Its even makes it that much better when you realize they are even better than u expected.

Anyway I got rain/snowed out of work today so you know what I'll be doing... DEMO DAY BABY!
I was close, I mean really close to buying the Klipsh RF-7 ll's when I started talking to Joe about the new Noesis and I am so glad now I went with the 212HT's. Glad you like the new 228's. It only gets better.
post #25937 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone managed to get hold of Jeff recently? I referred JTR to a friend of mine and he have been trying to order five Slanted 8s and a Cap 2400 for his new living room setup (he can't have floor standers otherwise I would have advised 228s...). He called many times and left multiple messages without any luck. I also dropped Jeff a note requesting him to call my friend and take his order but haven't heard back.

Not knowing Jeff, my friend is getting a bit frustrated and getting close to taking his business elsewhere.
post #25938 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
I have been watching the MRX-710 for along time. I remember I chatted at one of the GTG's with Mark Seaton about the Anthem and Arc, I was surprised as he knew quite a bit about it. You might save a few bucks by getting the 510 and just putting an amp on your mains or running it as a prepro, that is if you plan on using an amp. I believe that all three are the same other than power, but don't quote me on that. I emailed them recently to find out if they were going to release an Atmos unit or not. They said there were no plans at this time and they were pretty short with me. I was also surprised that there were part of Paradigm. I am between the Anthem, the XMC-1 or just adding a mini Dsp with Dirac.
I think the difference between the upper 2 in that line is power but the entry level version is missing some features of it's bigger brothers.
post #25939 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Nate I was really shocked at how good it was. I'm gonna pick one up from a buddy of mine that works at a AV store and I'll have 30 days to try it out.
If I'm not mistaken, don't you have the xmc-1? Just a bit of warning (which I'm sure that you already know), don't count on Emotiva to release the dirac update when they say that they will. I'm just worried that the anthem 30 day trial period will be over and you still won't have the dirac update for the xmc-1 to compare it to.

post #25940 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
If I'm not mistaken, don't you have the xmc-1? Just a bit of warning (which I'm sure that you already know), don't count on Emotiva to release the dirac update when they say that they will. I'm just worried that the anthem 30 day trial period will be over and you still won't have the dirac update for the xmc-1 to compare it to.

Hey hogues, no I don't. I was using a buddy's UMC-200 for about 4 weeks but that was about it. I wasn't happy with the quality of the UMC-200 either, it felt cheap.
post #25941 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 09:38 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Wow!!

I just watched a lot of the David Gilmour Blu-Ray. The sound quality is amazing, especially on Comfortably Numb. I have always loved that song but this took it to a whole new level. Talk about goose bumps... plus chills... my eyes were watering a bit too... wow. It was perfect, I was a few beers deep which helps too - incredible. That song just now was the best experience I've had in this hobby and that is saying A LOT!!!

David Bowie's parts were just ok, but that made the chorus all that much better when Gilmour comes in. I was singing at the top of my lungs and couldn't hear myself.

The best part was after it was over I went upstairs and my wife said she was singing along and loves that song too - I had no idea she had ever heard it. I asked her if she wanted to watch/listen to that song before we watch the new X Men later and she actually wants to!!

Thanks Dave!! Brandon if you like Comfortably Numb you are going to be in heaven!! I think that a clip of that song (on one of the parts when Gilmour is singing) would be sooo good for GTG's.

The video quality isn't great but it's very forgivable because they don't do the constant switch camera views nearly as often as most concert disks I have.
Yea I only managed to listen to two selected tracks on it this weekend, Time and comfortably numb. I kept switching between sound mounds and couldn't decide which one I liked more. They both had things that I liked but I eventually settled on the good ole 2 channel mix It is a pretty darn good demo. I don't know any of the other songs so I switched it out for a movie with the wifey after those two tracks. I really did like what I heard though...

Quote:
I haven't played any concert blurays yet since the total upgrade. But I do have a few. I guess I'll give MJ's "This Is It" a spin tomorrow.
Thriller on that CD is a go-to demo for me Pretty awesome.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #25942 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey hogues, no I don't. I was using a buddy's UMC-200 for about 4 weeks but that was about it. I wasn't happy with the quality of the UMC-200 either, it felt cheap.
Do you have a PC source and a measurement mic?
post #25943 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Do you have a PC source and a measurement mic?

I have my laptop with REW and a UMIK mic.
post #25944 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have my laptop with REW and a UMIK mic.
Well, as long is you can play movies and/or music from your laptop, that's all you need to run the trial, assuming your cables reach. I had to get a USB extension cable.

The difference that Dirac or Arc make far outweigh other audible differences between preamps, IMO.
post #25945 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicators View Post
Anyone managed to get hold of Jeff recently? I referred JTR to a friend of mine and he have been trying to order five Slanted 8s and a Cap 2400 for his new living room setup (he can't have floor standers otherwise I would have advised 228s...). He called many times and left multiple messages without any luck. I also dropped Jeff a note requesting him to call my friend and take his order but haven't heard back.

Not knowing Jeff, my friend is getting a bit frustrated and getting close to taking his business elsewhere.
you can PM him on this message board.

Jeff keeps his head down to work, and then seems to reply at intervals to catch up on e-mails. I had a friend getting upset with Jeff one time too and then he realized Jeff's replies were going into his spam e-mail box - so check that too. Best is just to call him.

I'm not making an excuse for this - lots of us JTR fans have told Jeff he needs a secretary for quite a while, but if you can wait it out - it's worth the wait. I haven't heard of a single person who got ripped off by Jeff, even if regular communication isn't his strong suite.
countryWV likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #25946 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
you can PM him on this message board.

Jeff keeps his head down to work, and then seems to reply at intervals to catch up on e-mails. I had a friend getting upset with Jeff one time too and then he realized Jeff's replies were going into his spam e-mail box - so check that too. Best is just to call him.

I'm not making an excuse for this - lots of us JTR fans have told Jeff he needs a secretary for quite a while, but if you can wait it out - it's worth the wait. I haven't heard of a single person who got ripped off by Jeff, even if regular communication isn't his strong suite.
I am well aware. I own 3x212s, 3xQuintuples and 2xS2s and I am super happy with them. I also had a hard time communicating with him multiple times in the past but always knew that the wait was worth it. However, it's not easy for a new customer, especially someone solely relying on a friend's recommendation to understand this (most people will have a hard time understanding why a business won't even return a call to take a 7K+ order, regardless of what type of business it is).

I will try PMing him on the JTR forum.
post #25947 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea I only managed to listen to two selected tracks on it this weekend, Time and comfortably numb. I kept switching between sound mounds and couldn't decide which one I liked more. They both had things that I liked but I eventually settled on the good ole 2 channel mix It is a pretty darn good demo. I don't know any of the other songs so I switched it out for a movie with the wifey after those two tracks. I really did like what I heard though...

Thriller on that CD is a go-to demo for me Pretty awesome.
Me too, I kept going back and forth on the first few songs and like you ended up in 2 channel. Most of the time it's no contest but the 5.1 is very well done and if I had a higher up vertical center channel like you do I might prefer the 5.1.

Both are outstanding.
post #25948 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
dgage, we didn't really hear your opinion on the 212HT...

I saw your charts, but unless I missed it - did you think the midbass was still thin, or was it more to your liking?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #25949 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
dgage, we didn't really hear your opinion on the 212HT...

I saw your charts, but unless I missed it - did you think the midbass was still thin, or was it more to your liking?
We started out listening to Frohlich's system and it was really nice. It reaffirmed how much I like the upper range and midrange on the 212. Unfortunately, with the Cats involved and us wanting to listen to them, we really didn't have much time other than for some quick listening, not enough to make a definitive conclusion. We listened to his 212s the most and then briefly with mine and then briefly with the Cat12. I didn't hear much difference between his and mine but we didn't have a DSP to push things, we were just using his standard Audyssey XT32 output. The good news is I'm confident that even if I were to convert my sealed to ported, that the sound I like with the sealed would still be the same, just maybe a little more room for midbass in the tank.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm one of those awaiting a response from Jeff to find out what's entailed in switching to ported, primarily if I will need a new crossover. I may just see if I can add 4 12" midbasses to the mix and see what they do but I haven't received the drivers yet.

As an aside, apparently I do have somewhat sensitive ears. At one point in listening to the 212s, I told Frohlich they seemed a little bright. He suggested it was Audyssey having corrected for the acoustically transparent screen that attenuates the upper end a little. We put the screen back in place and sure enough, the 212s sounded as expected.
post #25950 of 29067 Old 11-24-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
We started out listening to Frohlich's system and it was really nice. It reaffirmed how much I like the upper range and midrange on the 212. Unfortunately, with the Cats involved and us wanting to listen to them, we really didn't have much time other than for some quick listening, not enough to make a definitive conclusion. We listened to his 212s the most and then briefly with mine and then briefly with the Cat12. I didn't hear much difference between his and mine but we didn't have a DSP to push things, we were just using his standard Audyssey XT32 output. The good news is I'm confident that even if I were to convert my sealed to ported, that the sound I like with the sealed would still be the same, just maybe a little more room for midbass in the tank.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm one of those awaiting a response from Jeff to find out what's entailed in switching to ported, primarily if I will need a new crossover. I may just see if I can add 4 12" midbasses to the mix and see what they do but I haven't received the drivers yet.

As an aside, apparently I do have somewhat sensitive ears. At one point in listening to the 212s, I told Frohlich they seemed a little bright. He suggested it was Audyssey having corrected for the acoustically transparent screen that attenuates the upper end a little. We put the screen back in place and sure enough, the 212s sounded as expected.

David,

So when you run Audyssey does it only EQ the entire range of the speaker or can you choose the range that you want to EQ? That's one of the things that I really liked about Anthem's Arc. I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing above 500hz, so with Arc you can choose that as the cut off or you could go higher say a 1000hz, or do the entire range if you wanted too. I really like that you have the choice where to set the filters.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page