Official JTR speaker thread - Page 866 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #25951 of 25962 Old Today, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
dgage, we didn't really hear your opinion on the 212HT...

I saw your charts, but unless I missed it - did you think the midbass was still thin, or was it more to your liking?
We started out listening to Frohlich's system and it was really nice. It reaffirmed how much I like the upper range and midrange on the 212. Unfortunately, with the Cats involved and us wanting to listen to them, we really didn't have much time other than for some quick listening, not enough to make a definitive conclusion. We listened to his 212s the most and then briefly with mine and then briefly with the Cat12. I didn't hear much difference between his and mine but we didn't have a DSP to push things, we were just using his standard Audyssey XT32 output. The good news is I'm confident that even if I were to convert my sealed to ported, that the sound I like with the sealed would still be the same, just maybe a little more room for midbass in the tank.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm one of those awaiting a response from Jeff to find out what's entailed in switching to ported, primarily if I will need a new crossover. I may just see if I can add 4 12" midbasses to the mix and see what they do but I haven't received the drivers yet.

As an aside, apparently I do have somewhat sensitive ears. At one point in listening to the 212s, I told Frohlich they seemed a little bright. He suggested it was Audyssey having corrected for the acoustically transparent screen that attenuates the upper end a little. We put the screen back in place and sure enough, the 212s sounded as expected.
dgage is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25952 of 25962 Old Today, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
We started out listening to Frohlich's system and it was really nice. It reaffirmed how much I like the upper range and midrange on the 212. Unfortunately, with the Cats involved and us wanting to listen to them, we really didn't have much time other than for some quick listening, not enough to make a definitive conclusion. We listened to his 212s the most and then briefly with mine and then briefly with the Cat12. I didn't hear much difference between his and mine but we didn't have a DSP to push things, we were just using his standard Audyssey XT32 output. The good news is I'm confident that even if I were to convert my sealed to ported, that the sound I like with the sealed would still be the same, just maybe a little more room for midbass in the tank.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm one of those awaiting a response from Jeff to find out what's entailed in switching to ported, primarily if I will need a new crossover. I may just see if I can add 4 12" midbasses to the mix and see what they do but I haven't received the drivers yet.

As an aside, apparently I do have somewhat sensitive ears. At one point in listening to the 212s, I told Frohlich they seemed a little bright. He suggested it was Audyssey having corrected for the acoustically transparent screen that attenuates the upper end a little. We put the screen back in place and sure enough, the 212s sounded as expected.

David,


So when you run Audyssey does it only EQ the entire range of the speaker or can you choose the range that you want to EQ? That's one of the things that I really liked about Anthem's Arc. I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing above 500hz, so with Arc you can choose that as the cut off or you could go higher say a 1000hz, or do the entire range if you wanted too. I really like that you have the choice where to set the filters.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #25953 of 25962 Old Today, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,502
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Audyssey does not allow you customize EQ points like ARC. I was impressed with ARC as well at the KC g2g when playing with the Anthem 510.

Archaea's Auto room EQ/AVR comparison G2G - November 8, 2014 - Kansas City

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #25954 of 25962 Old Today, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Audyssey does not allow you customize EQ points like ARC. I was impressed with ARC as well at the KC g2g when playing with the Anthem 510.

Archaea's Auto room EQ/AVR comparison G2G - November 8, 2014 - Kansas City
Hey Jonathan, yeah I have someone wanting to buy my Sherbourn amp so I was thinking about selling it and pickup the MRX-710. It should be able to easily power all 7 speakers I have. Yes it's an understatement to say how impressed I was even by the older Arc that was in the MRX-300 that I heard. From what I've read the new Arc-M1 is even closer to what's found in the crazy expensive Anthem D2V pre/pro.
Archaea likes this.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #25955 of 25962 Old Today, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Hey hogues, no I don't. I was using a buddy's UMC-200 for about 4 weeks but that was about it. I wasn't happy with the quality of the UMC-200 either, it felt cheap.
Sorry! For some reason I really thought that you had one. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Anthem.

hogues is online now  
post #25956 of 25962 Old Today, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
David,


So when you run Audyssey does it only EQ the entire range of the speaker or can you choose the range that you want to EQ? That's one of the things that I really liked about Anthem's Arc. I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing above 500hz, so with Arc you can choose that as the cut off or you could go higher say a 1000hz, or do the entire range if you wanted too. I really like that you have the choice where to set the filters.
Don't know, real men don't use Auto-EQ.

I don't, at least until MiniDSP releases an upgrade to my NanoAVR so I can add Dirac.
dgage is online now  
post #25957 of 25962 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,570
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 682
I think they already released Dirac for nanoavr

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

PSB Imagine B for sale:http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post987985
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #25958 of 25962 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
David,


So when you run Audyssey does it only EQ the entire range of the speaker or can you choose the range that you want to EQ? That's one of the things that I really liked about Anthem's Arc. I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing above 500hz, so with Arc you can choose that as the cut off or you could go higher say a 1000hz, or do the entire range if you wanted too. I really like that you have the choice where to set the filters.
Audyssey EQ's the bass in the frequency and time domains in the modal range, up to about 300 to 500 Hz. Above that, it doesn't perform EQ so much as it sets a target curve. The target curve is a very slow roll off of 3 dB of the highs from 10 kHz to 20 kHz. It also sets a dip at about 2 kHz that they call "midrange compensation" or the "BBC dip."
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...e-Compensation

Audyssey does not try to correct narrow anomalies in the FR above about 500 Hz. The wavelengths are too short and the EQ filters would only be applicable to very small spaces. Outside those spaces it would make the response worse, so Audyssey doesn't do it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #25959 of 25962 Old Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,459
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Don't know, real men don't use Auto-EQ.

I don't, at least until MiniDSP releases an upgrade to my NanoAVR so I can add Dirac.
Remember this post because when you do go with Dirac I'm going to quote exactly what you said too me!....lol
jbrown15 is online now  
post #25960 of 25962 Old Today, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,667
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
I think they already released Dirac for nanoavr
I have the original NanoAVR and to my knowledge they haven't released the Dirac upgrade yet. The NanoAVR DL is available for purchase as you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Remember this post because when you do go with Dirac I'm going to quote exactly what you said too me!....lol
I would be using Dirac if the NanoAVR upgrade was available so no need to go there.
dgage is online now  
post #25961 of 25962 Old Today, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Dirac does let you specify limits for the correction window. If you wanted it to leave >500hz alone, that's easy.

I just found that I like the sound better for Dirac to do its thing >500hz. If you try to push drivers beyond their limits for extra extension at the top or bottom end, I found that does more harm than good, so it is good to set limits on the correction window.

Within the limits of the speaker, though, Dirac seems to do a good job at avoiding over-correction. They say they only correct problems that are consistent from the 9 measurement locations.
rcohen is online now  
post #25962 of 25962 Old Today, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Audyssey EQ's the bass in the frequency and time domains in the modal range, up to about 300 to 500 Hz. Above that, it doesn't perform EQ so much as it sets a target curve. The target curve is a very slow roll off of 3 dB of the highs from 10 kHz to 20 kHz. It also sets a dip at about 2 kHz that they call "midrange compensation" or the "BBC dip."
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries...e-Compensation

Audyssey does not try to correct narrow anomalies in the FR above about 500 Hz. The wavelengths are too short and the EQ filters would only be applicable to very small spaces. Outside those spaces it would make the response worse, so Audyssey doesn't do it.

Craig
It sounds like you're describing XT32. IMO, "midrange compensation" isn't appropriate for a coax driver, or many other speakers with good midrange dispersion. Not a fan.
rcohen is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off