Old Today, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
dgage, we didn't really hear your opinion on the 212HT...

I saw your charts, but unless I missed it - did you think the midbass was still thin, or was it more to your liking?
We started out listening to Frohlich's system and it was really nice. It reaffirmed how much I like the upper range and midrange on the 212. Unfortunately, with the Cats involved and us wanting to listen to them, we really didn't have much time other than for some quick listening, not enough to make a definitive conclusion. We listened to his 212s the most and then briefly with mine and then briefly with the Cat12. I didn't hear much difference between his and mine but we didn't have a DSP to push things, we were just using his standard Audyssey XT32 output. The good news is I'm confident that even if I were to convert my sealed to ported, that the sound I like with the sealed would still be the same, just maybe a little more room for midbass in the tank.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm one of those awaiting a response from Jeff to find out what's entailed in switching to ported, primarily if I will need a new crossover. I may just see if I can add 4 12" midbasses to the mix and see what they do but I haven't received the drivers yet.

As an aside, apparently I do have somewhat sensitive ears. At one point in listening to the 212s, I told Frohlich they seemed a little bright. He suggested it was Audyssey having corrected for the acoustically transparent screen that attenuates the upper end a little. We put the screen back in place and sure enough, the 212s sounded as expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com