Official JTR speaker thread - Page 868 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7125Likes

Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi guys,
I have been on the quest of getting a great home theater sound (why isn't). About a year ago, I started my own thread to understand how to calibrate sub and ended up buying two subs and learning how to calibrate them One better sub or two subs

So at the end of journey, I ended up with 3 Klipsch RF-82 as C,L,R and two RS-52 for surround and basic satellite definitive speakers for back. I do like the sound but it has one major issue for me (and specially for my spouse). When there is an action scene in a movie, it gets very loud in the room. Its an annoying loudness. Its very Sharp. We have been to IMAX and they are also very loud but they sound very warm loud. Now, I know by no means I can produce a sound of IMAX but at the same time, I don't wanna be in the position where anytime there is an action scene, instead of enjoying it, I get worried about it being too sharp and high pitch.

So is that the Klipsch speakers doing it? Would it be better to replace Klipsch with Noesis 228TH? Or is it more of a room acoustics treatment issue?
Also, I live in NJ. Where can I go to demo Noesis 228TH speakers?
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
The negative sounds you are describing are your speakers compressing at higher volumes. The sound of compression is distorting, fatiguing, and comes across as being too loud.
I would guess that at lower volumes the Klipsch sound good. Somewhere between -15 and -5 on the volume the speakers start flinching or compressing causing listening fatigue. The 228 will hold its composure while remaining extremely dynamic and crystal clear at lower and higher volumes past reference.
There are lots of past Klipsch and Definitive Technology owners who switched to JTR for the exact negative reasons you are having. I had a DefTech Mythos ST 9.2 system I scrubbed due to speaker compression at FUN volumes. My wife could not tolerate the sound above -15. With JTRs we commonly go to Reference before she starts insisting that "It's too loud". When that phrase comes out of her mouth Fun time is over. JTR speakers allow for a lot more Fun time then my DefTech system ever did.
Chris

Chris
Old 11-29-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
The negative sounds you are describing are your speakers compressing at higher volumes. The sound of compression is distorting, fatiguing, and comes across as being too loud.
I would guess that at lower volumes the Klipsch sound good. Somewhere between -15 and -5 on the volume the speakers start flinching or compressing causing listening fatigue. The 228 will hold its composure while remaining extremely dynamic and crystal clear at lower and higher volumes past reference.
There are lots of past Klipsch and Definitive Technology owners who switched to JTR for the exact negative reasons you are having. I had a DefTech Mythos ST 9.2 system I scrubbed due to speaker compression at FUN volumes. My wife could not tolerate the sound above -15. With JTRs we commonly go to Reference before she starts insisting that "It's too loud". When that phrase comes out of her mouth Fun time is over. JTR speakers allow for a lot more Fun time then my DefTech system ever did.
Chris
Thx countryWM. The fact that these speakers are 3 times more expensive than Klipsch/Def, it should be very good (price comparing). This is a big investment. How does one demo these speakers? I live in NJ. Is there any store? Would be great to listen to them before one spends this much money.
Thx
Old 11-29-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 579
JTR Speakers is an ID company in Wisconsin. Watch for a GTG as well as forum members who live close to you. You will be impressed by a demo!!! http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/ Posts your interest in a demo here.
It may take a few days but I'm sure you will find someone close to you. This thread is a great place to ask questions.
Good Luck
Chris

Here is the compression driver used in the 228 http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_4547nd
This is the horn http://www.eighteensound.com/PRODUCT...ID/174/CatID/5

Chris

Last edited by countryWV; 11-29-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I'll ship out tomorrow.
@SOWK - Thanks for such quick shipment of the amp!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Hi guys,
I have been on the quest of getting a great home theater sound (why isn't). About a year ago, I started my own thread to understand how to calibrate sub and ended up buying two subs and learning how to calibrate them One better sub or two subs

So at the end of journey, I ended up with 3 Klipsch RF-82 as C,L,R and two RS-52 for surround and basic satellite definitive speakers for back. I do like the sound but it has one major issue for me (and specially for my spouse). When there is an action scene in a movie, it gets very loud in the room. Its an annoying loudness. Its very Sharp. We have been to IMAX and they are also very loud but they sound very warm loud. Now, I know by no means I can produce a sound of IMAX but at the same time, I don't wanna be in the position where anytime there is an action scene, instead of enjoying it, I get worried about it being too sharp and high pitch.

So is that the Klipsch speakers doing it? Would it be better to replace Klipsch with Noesis 228TH? Or is it more of a room acoustics treatment issue?
Also, I live in NJ. Where can I go to demo Noesis 228TH speakers?
Thx
It's definitely the Klipsch effect. I had a similar complaint whenever I've demo'd them. In fact, they turned me off of horns for years because I thought thats how they all sounded; bright and fatiguing. Enter JTR... and a few other horns.

Treatments will also help for sure, but the cause to your concern is from the speakers IMO.

Personal demos of the 228 might be available if someone near you chimes in.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Thx countryWM. The fact that these speakers are 3 times more expensive than Klipsch/Def, it should be very good (price comparing). This is a big investment. How does one demo these speakers? I live in NJ. Is there any store? Would be great to listen to them before one spends this much money.
Thx
@Reefdvr27 lives in NJ - I think the southern part but not positive
Old 11-29-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 895
I had Klipsch RF7's at one point, ya the JTR's, even the Single 8's blow them away at high SPL. The Klipsch were ear screeching at lots of times. Mine were fine at reference in my old house but I got a great deal on some Paradigm Sig 8's and sold them to a friend.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I had Klipsch RF7's at one point, ya the JTR's, even the Single 8's blow them away at high SPL. The Klipsch were ear screeching at lots of times. Mine were fine at reference in my old house but I got a great deal on some Paradigm Sig 8's and sold them to a friend.
Is he still a friend? LOL!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
@Reefdvr27 lives in NJ - I think the southern part but not positive
What a small world. I found his post on thread JTR Noesis 212 vs 228 and emailed him today morning :-) I didn't ask for the demo but did ask his opinion. Yeah I'd be great if I can demo them.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
It's definitely the Klipsch effect. I had a similar complaint whenever I've demo'd them. In fact, they turned me off of horns for years because I thought thats how they all sounded; bright and fatiguing. Enter JTR... and a few other horns.

Treatments will also help for sure, but the cause to your concern is from the speakers IMO.

Personal demos of the 228 might be available if someone near you chimes in.
thx. That does narrow down a bit of my issue.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 895
LOL, ya he's still got them...... Although now that you say that, I haven't talked to him in a few months......

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 11-29-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Kind of off topic, but I know some of the JTR powered subs use the same amps as my PSA Triaxs.

Does anyone here using a minidsp with a powered sub with the speakerpower amp? I bought an unbalanced minidsp from power sound audio and am wondering if it has enough output voltage to run my 4 PSA Triax's. This version outputs .9 volts. It looks like my onkyo 5509 pre pro puts out up to 5.5v. I currently have no problem driving my Triax's with just the 5509.

Here is a screen shot from my 5509 manual of the output for the preouts.

Thanks
Ray
Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Ray, I don't think the unbalance version (0.9Vrms) will drive the speakpower in the OS. The balanced version (2Vrms output) certainly does though. I think the speakpower Sp1-4000 has sensitivity of +4dBV, which equates to about 1.58Vrms needed.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Ray, I don't think the unbalance version (0.9Vrms) will drive the speakpower in the OS. The balanced version (2Vrms output) certainly does though. I think the speakpower Sp1-4000 has sensitivity of +4dBV, which equates to about 1.58Vrms needed.
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Hey lbrown....which plugin are you using for your 2x4 balanced?

Nabs17
Old 11-30-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Now that I have a pre pro with independent dual sub outs I am using the 2way adv XO plug in for the mini dsp. In this set up input one controls output 1&2 and input 2 controls output 3&4. This way I can take advantage of additional time delay in the pre pro.

Before this my pre pro only had one sub out, so I also have the 4 way adv XO. This worked great the only issue is I was limited to 7.5ms of delay. I think someone might have a work around for this if you have a free channel but I am not sure about that.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Now that I have a pre pro with independent dual sub outs I am using the 2way adv XO plug in for the mini dsp. In this set up input one controls output 1&2 and input 2 controls output 3&4. This way I can take advantage of additional time delay in the pre pro.

Before this my pre pro only had one sub out, so I also have the 4 way adv XO. This worked great the only issue is I was limited to 7.5ms of delay. I think someone might have a work around for this if you have a free channel but I am not sure about that.
My pre/pro has 2 sub outs as well but they are not balanced out...they are unbalanced RCA. I'm trying to learn about these minidsp's because I think I'll incorporate one later when I add multiple subs but wasn't sure if I should go with the balanced or unbalanced one.

Thanks,

Nabs17
Old 11-30-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I had to rerun Audyssey (onkyo 5509 pre pro w/XT32) today and also ran sweeps on my LCR JTR228's (powered by bridged iNuke3000 DSP's)) What do you make of these graphs? All speakers are either up against the wall (L/R) or a few inches away (center). The left speaker is about 6-8ft from the nearest side walll, the center about 5-6ft from the nearest side wall. The right speaker is touching the right wall just barely toed in as it barely fits between the wall and screen. Looking at the graphs below, all with no smoothing, you can see how jagged the right speaker graph is. Is this a function of it being direly next to the wall or something else?

Here is a before and after graph of a sweep with just my center and subs (4 PSA Triaxs) after performing the Audyssey sub distance tweak.

Here are two different Audyssey calibrations (onkyo 5509 pre pro, 228 center and 4 PSA Triaxs) How can they be so different? The one has a beautiful house curve naturally.

Last edited by raynist; 11-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 503
^^^This is the reason why I do not like audyssey.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 11-30-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
^^^This is the reason why I do not like audyssey.
Because of the two different calibrations?

I ran a few sweeps with it off and the bass was all over the place. There was an insane peak around 15hz.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. I have calibrated with audyssey one day and put the mic in the exact same spot as the first calibration and they were off. Audyssey actually started telling me that my center speaker was out of phase. WTF?? I have not changed anything in my system. It is just inconsistent to me.

Your bass will be all over the place without eq. Room modes will cause that. Curious, what is your crossover setting at?

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander

Last edited by Pain Infliction; 11-30-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Yes. I have calibrated with audyssey one day and put the mic in the exact same spot as the first calibration and they were off. Audyssey actually started telling me that my center speaker was out of phase. WTF?? I have not changed anything in my system. It is just inconsistent to me.

Your bass will be all over the place without eq. Room modes will cause that. Curious, what is your crossover setting at?
Crossover is 80hz.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had to rerun Audyssey (onkyo 5509 pre pro w/XT32) today and also ran sweeps on my LCR JTR228's (powered by bridged iNuke3000 DSP's)) What do you make of these graphs? All speakers are either up against the wall (L/R) or a few inches away (center). The left speaker is about 6-8ft from the nearest side walll, the center about 5-6ft from the nearest side wall. The right speaker is touching the right wall just barely toed in as it barely fits between the wall and screen. Looking at the graphs below, all with no smoothing, you can see how jagged the right speaker graph is. Is this a function of it being direly next to the wall or something else?

Ok, so I did a bit of listening and Audyssey is doing something wierd to the right speaker. While listening to music with audyssey engaged, when I hit pause on a song I hear a 'warble' sound coming from the woofers for just a split second, almost like an echo. It only happens on the right speaker, not the left. If I disengage audyssey this sound does not happen when I pause music so it must be something strange that happened when I did my calibration. When I was running the REW sweeps I heard similar 'warble' sounds during the low end of the sweep. Hopefully a recalibration will fix it. I should have taken a sweep from that speaker with audyssey disengaged.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Post what you end up finding out. Something is weird for sure and the way the graph looks it's like the signal was clipping. That's what it reminds me of not saying it is.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Ok, so I did a bit of listening and Audyssey is doing something wierd to the right speaker. While listening to music with audyssey engaged, when I hit pause on a song I hear a 'warble' sound coming from the woofers for just a split second, almost like an echo. It only happens on the right speaker, not the left. If I disengage audyssey this sound does not happen when I pause music so it must be something strange that happened when I did my calibration. When I was running the REW sweeps I heard similar 'warble' sounds during the low end of the sweep. Hopefully a recalibration will fix it. I should have taken a sweep from that speaker with audyssey disengaged.
I have experienced the exact same thing with sweeps. I just have nothing left in me anymore to chase down Audyssey oddities, so I've ignored it.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Deep Sea Sound

I don't have any experience with Audyssey but in general, consistency is an important factor of life as you can work around consistent results. Good luck with anything that is inconsistent...might as well roll dice.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
I had to rerun Audyssey...
Some ideas to try:

1) Toe in your speakers more and/or treat the wall more to reduce the influence of wall reflections.
2) Use the maximum number of Audyssey measurement locations to make it more consistent.
3) Try concentrating the measurements more vs. spreading them out more to see which sounds better.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
In my own Audyssey setup, I did not like it one bit. I tried it a few times, and each time i hated my speakers and how it sounded. Finally decided to do away with it entirely and i have never been happier.

The irony is, when I purchased my Receiver, I was so adamant on getting one with Audyssey x32, because of all the rave reviews i heard on the forums. (And I am sure some people have success with it)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
It could be an overcorrection that would hopefully be avoided with more measurement samples, or it could be clipping somewhere in the chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis