Official JTR speaker thread - Page 874 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5975Likes

Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Regarding the DDRC-88A vs nanoAVR DL, I've had better luck with applying Dirac before bass management, although it can work either way. That would steer me toward the nanoAVR, which is also half the price.

It also eliminates the multi-sub issue.

Last edited by rcohen; 12-09-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
That thing only having 1 sub out makes it useless for me and quite a few other people. too bad, adding another sub out could have made it an awesome unit.
I think you can assign any channel as a sub.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
I think you can assign any channel as a sub.
Which would be fine if it didn't take away one of the other channels needed for surround. I guess if someone was doing 5 channel surround, it would be a badass unit.
I'd imagine that will will see a 10 or 12 channel unit in the future.

Also, Minidsp, get you act together and get rid of Phoenix connectors! Like really, who the hell uses that crap in a home theater....
Nabs17 likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Which would be fine if it didn't take away one of the other channels needed for surround. I guess if someone was doing 5 channel surround, it would be a badass unit.
I'd imagine that will will see a 10 or 12 channel unit in the future.

Also, Minidsp, get you act together and get rid of Phoenix connectors! Like really, who the hell uses that crap in a home theater....
I use that crap in my home theater ... they are very nice ...

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I use that crap in my home theater ... they are very nice ...
Well, then you can keep them!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Well, then you can keep them!
I'll send you some for Xmas.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Does anybody know the price of a 215RM?

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 12-09-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Does anybody know the price of a 215RM?
Pretty sure they are 3K each.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
That is correct. If you're considering getting one let me tell you now...it's huge but you already know that since you have the RT's.

Nabs17
Old 12-09-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Thx. I think I will wait till the new one's start shipping, but I guess it is time to look at a third.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Thx. I think I will wait till the new one's start shipping, but I guess it is time to look at a third.
That would be sick...three 215's!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
That would be sick...three 215's!
Yeah, I think it is time. The 228 does a good job, but it would be nice to be level across the board.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Yeah, I think it is time. The 228 does a good job, but it would be nice to be level across the board.
Do it.....you won't regret it!!!!

Nabs17
Old 12-11-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 289
want a reality check for how good this thread is? Just spend some time at the "Lounge" and you will remember very quickly how awesome and fun this thread is, among many others on AVS. Just trying to get some basic information over their is awfully painful and some of the dumbest comments I ever seen on any of the forums. Ok sorry had to vent.

I should have Dirac soon (days) and plenty of time to play with it over the Holidays. Look forward to getting the Dirac signal back into the JTR's and updating my findings!! Did I mention JTR's are awesome!

Just finished watching some movie with 300mph winds. Acting B-, writing C- and special effects B.
hogues, RMK! and asoofi1 like this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1 w/Dirac Live, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifiers: Sunfire TGA7400 (surrounds), Lab Gruppen FP10000Q (mains)
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HTR (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Sony VPL HW40ES
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 12-11-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 289
want a reality check for how good this thread is? Just spend some time at the "Lounge" and you will remember very quickly how awesome and fun this thread is, among many others on AVS. Just trying to get some basic information over their is awfully painful and some of the dumbest comments I ever seen on any of the forums. Ok sorry had to vent.

I should have Dirac soon (days) and plenty of time to play with it over the Holidays. Look forward to getting the Dirac signal back into the JTR's and updating my findings!! Did I mention JTR's are awesome!

Just finished watching some movie with 300mph winds. Acting B-, writing C- and special effects B.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1 w/Dirac Live, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifiers: Sunfire TGA7400 (surrounds), Lab Gruppen FP10000Q (mains)
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HTR (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Sony VPL HW40ES
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 12-12-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Near Field Sub Idea..

please give your input if this is a good idea.

I have maybe about a foot or so of space behind the first row of seats and the riser behind. I was thinking of placing 2x(4 Ultimax UM12-22 driver enclosures), behind it.. If I build the enclosure with about a 1 foot height, with the woofers slanted 45 degree, i can get the enclosure to be about 13 inches high (exactly the height of the riser behind so they don't jut out and ruin the esthetics of the room)... basically each enclosure would have 4 of those 12 inch woofers and maybe an internal volume of 3 cf. And power each 4Driver enclosure with one channel of my LAB 10,000 clone (2000 watts / channel). I could still have 2 free channels for maybe either some mid bass modules upfront, or maybe a couple of dual18inch boxes.

Basically, is it a good idea to place 8x12inch woofers right behind you nearfield? Or, is it too hot?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Near Field Sub Idea..

I have maybe about a foot or so of space behind the first row of seats and the riser behind. I was thinking of placing 2x(4 Ultimax UM12-22 driver enclosures), behind it.. If I build the enclosure with about a 1 foot height, with the woofers slanted 45 degree, i can get the enclosure to be about 13 inches high (exactly the height of the riser behind so they don't jut out and ruin the esthetics of the room)... basically each enclosure would have 4 of those 12 inch woofers and maybe an internal volume of 3 cf. And power each 4Driver enclosure with one channel of my LAB 10,000 clone (2000 watts / channel). I could still have 2 free channels for maybe either some mid bass modules upfront, or maybe a couple of dual18inch boxes.

Basically, is it a good idea to place 8x12inch woofers right behind you nearfield? Or, is it too hot?
I use a nearfield 15" TC Sounds LMS-R in a sealed enclosure. I only have 1 seat so that is all that I need.
I will never be without one. It is hard to get that kick in the chest bass at normal listening levels for me.

Obviously I think this is an awesome idea. As far as too hot you can give them whatever kick you desire by simply turning down (or up ) the amp gain. You could even go as far as making each box independently adjustable so that if someone else doesn't like as much kick, their side could be turned down. So many possibilities and ideas running thru my head .

My opinion is, once you experience a nearfield sub you can never be without it.

Hope this helps and as always YMMV,
Moto
Old 12-12-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I use a nearfield 15" TC Sounds LMS-R in a sealed enclosure. I only have 1 seat so that is all that I need.
I will never be without one. It is hard to get that kick in the chest bass at normal listening levels for me.

Obviously I think this is an awesome idea. As far as too hot you can give them whatever kick you desire by simply turning down (or up ) the amp gain. You could even go as far as making each box independently adjustable so that if someone else doesn't like as much kick, their side could be turned down. So many possibilities and ideas running thru my head .

My opinion is, once you experience a nearfield sub you can never be without it.

Hope this helps and as always YMMV,
Moto
Nice!

Yup, I think this is my plan then. I'll wait till the seats come in and see if there are any space. (in case I have to move the seat back from the screen more).
Old 12-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

It will take a little testing and experimenting to get a good balance between the regular subs and nearfield. Also they can be well integrated with Crowson Transducers so you can't even tell where the nearfield leaves off and the Crowson kicks in. I have my Crowsons crossed to my nearfield at about 35hz.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Near Field Sub Idea..

I answered this question in the other thread you posted, but I will say it again. Do it! I love everything about it! I agree with MX48 that I would not be without it now that I have it.

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
Old 12-12-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
I answered this question in the other thread you posted, but I will say it again. Do it! I love everything about it! I agree with MX48 that I would not be without it now that I have it.
I posted it here, then wanted to delete the other thread, but forgot about it..

Anyways, yeah, all i am hearing are that 'nearfields' are a good idea, so i will most likely do it pending how far back from the screen i'll need my front row... I have the FP 10,000 Amp sitting around collecting dust anyways.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Near Field Sub Idea..

Why am I always on the other side of these discussions .

I had dual Danley TH Spuds under my second row riser and ALWAYS found that the bass was localizable in that the bass energy was slamming me from behind instead of from the front where the action or event was emanating. I also had dual Captivators in the front of the room and except when demoing (e.g. showing off the earthquake shake) I much preferred the bass with the Danleys off. I/we could literally feel the pounding in the chair backs (50-120Hz) and it was very distracting. I suppose if all you are after is spleen busting (car audio type) bass then this is a good idea. I guess it's the difference between a nightclub and an IMAX. Just my opinion, YMMV

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 12-12-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Why am I always on the other side of these discussions .

I had dual Danley TH Spuds under my second row riser and ALWAYS found that the bass was localizable in that the bass energy was slamming me from behind instead of from the front where the action or event was emanating. I also had dual Captivators in the front of the room and except when demoing (e.g. showing off the earthquake shake) I much preferred the bass with the Danleys off. I/we could literally feel the pounding in the chair backs (50-120Hz) and it was very distracting. I suppose if all you are after is spleen busting (car audio type) bass then this is a good idea. I guess it's the difference between a nightclub and an IMAX. Just my opinion, YMMV
I actually haven't made up my mind yet. With the OS next to my bed, I have the same feeling as you. There's this feeling something is lurking just beside you.. a powerful force and it can be distracting.

On the other hand, I once had these dual sealed subs from Cambridge soundworks, part of their Ensemble 4 sat/sub system and they were very low profile subs so i placed them under my bed.. i really love those under my bed.. i can't localize them, but they did give me the type of bass i like... at that time, this was the best i can do...

So, i am thinking if it's a matter of 'sealed' vs 'ported'? maybe it's tuning the frequency range... etc..
Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
I actually haven't made up my mind yet. With the OS next to my bed, I have the same feeling as you. There's this feeling something is lurking just beside you.. a powerful force and it can be distracting.

On the other hand, I once had these dual sealed subs from Cambridge soundworks, part of their Ensemble 4 sat/sub system and they were very low profile subs so i placed them under my bed.. i really love those under my bed.. i can't localize them, but they did give me the type of bass i like... at that time, this was the best i can do...

So, i am thinking if it's a matter of 'sealed' vs 'ported'? maybe it's tuning the frequency range... etc..
Could be that the Tapped Horn design on the Danleys was an issue. There was quite a bit of airflow out of the horn but the horn exits were behind a 2"X12" so I don't think that was the specific issue. Having a 2nd story suspended floor HT probably has the most to do with it. The room has some crazy levels of shaking and motion so the nearfield subs are simply overkill in my specific situation.

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

I agree if they are too pronounced they can be localizable. Nearfield subs for me must always be used with adequate subs at the front of the room to balance this out. Also I cut my nearfield off about 80 hz and don't get into the 100's for this reason.

Definitely must be done with experimentation. Even then it is not for everybody, hence the YMMV .

Moto
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Near Field Sub Idea..

Well, I of course think it's a awesome idea! lol Having 6 x 21's and 2 x ghorns nearfield can attest to that!. It's not that hard to get everything sounding right.
coolgeek likes this.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I of course think it's a awesome idea! lol Having 6 x 21's and 2 x ghorns nearfield can attest to that!. It's not that hard to get everything sounding right.
U should call Guinness right away!
carp likes this.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Difference between JTR 212 ported vs sealed?

has anyone here heard both and can provide comparison?

How much mid-bass (which is really what I am looking for today) would I lose if I go with sealed 212s for LCR?

TIA!
Old 12-12-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post

How much mid-bass (which is really what I am looking for today) would I lose if I go with sealed 212s for LCR?

TIA!
A few pages back dgage did a comparison. It seems anyone that feels they lack midbass is using the sealed.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post

TIA!
6dbs from 80hz - 150hz

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp