Official JTR speaker thread - Page 880 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26371 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I just found recently that I am going to Vegas with college buddies Jan. 7 or 8 until Jan. 12th. It looks like CES is Jan 6-9th. I've never been to CES, what to I have to do to go? Buy tickets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26372 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I just found recently that I am going to Vegas with college buddies Jan. 7 or 8 until Jan. 12th. It looks like CES is Jan 6-9th. I've never been to CES, what to I have to do to go? Buy tickets?
Cesweb.org

Make up a company name
post #26373 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Note when I say this that I am not putting down the Scanspeak driver and only have to come think this way in the past year or so after purchasing my JTR speakers. When a "normal" speaker is driven hard, it often compresses and loses composure, the JTR does not have these limitations. I don't often push my system but when I do, it is nice to know I'm the limit as opposed to my speaker. After years of buying entry level tools, I also no longer buy entry level tools and I like being the limitation instead of my tools. As NWCgrad said, different tools from different purposes.

And even though we are mentioning that the JTR speakers are capable of crazy output, it is also capable of high fidelity at reasonable levels. I'd strongly suggest you listen to a set if you get a chance. I'm not saying they are the best speakers in the world as I haven't heard any speaker that I'd give that moniker too but they are really, really good. They are simultaneously cheap and expensive depending on your viewpoint but I'd put my JTR 212s up against any speaker at any budget. And I'm not trying to talk them up and say are the best thing ever, I'm not. But they are really good and that is what I'm trying to say. Would you like them? I have no idea but they are worth of a listen. But realize these aren't electrostatic speakers and won't sound the same. If you want a sound and output capability like that, then the JTR isn't the speaker for you. But if you don't like running into limits with your speakers, you owe it to yourself to listen to the JTR 212s with a solid sub system. Just sharing my informed and evolving opinion.
I'm just astounded that PA speakers, the ones we normally associate as loud but terrible sounding cheap speakers, would have drivers that cost so much more than normal speakers.

I'd definitely be interested in auditioning the 212 if I have a chance. Recently I've heard of some incredible sounding (sound signature wise) PA speakers that's really getting my attention to try a PA type speaker. If anyone in California is willing to give me an audition, please let me know. I'll bring beer!
post #26374 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcodemz View Post
I'm just astounded that PA speakers, the ones we normally associate as loud but terrible sounding cheap speakers, would have drivers that cost so much more than normal speakers.

I'd definitely be interested in auditioning the 212 if I have a chance. Recently I've heard of some incredible sounding (sound signature wise) PA speakers that's really getting my attention to try a PA type speaker. If anyone in California is willing to give me an audition, please let me know. I'll bring beer!
Well that's you're first problem, calling these PA speakers. These are high efficiency speakers designed by a guy with a pro audio background but they aren't PA speakers. Now the JTR speakers are more industrial looking but the Seaton Catalyst 12 is a good looking speaker in the same vain. Now, if you want to call the Danley some people run in their home theater a PA speaker, well, you'd be correct.
post #26375 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yeah, what part of CA as there are JTR owners all over CA?
post #26376 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Cesweb.org

Make up a company name

I see. So, it's not really an open to the public kind of thing just companies?
post #26377 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
When I went to CEDIA I was owner of the Savoy Theater Management Corp. 😃
post #26378 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
It's an industry show. About 120,000 come in and it's huge. You really need to plan your booth visits as it will burn up 3 days just wondering around. I bet you'd enjoy it but it can be a little overwhelming. Kinda like going to Nebraska furniture mart to just look around.

And the high end gear is not at the convention center.
post #26379 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool thanks guys. Expect some PM's in the near future. David, I'm no good at making up names... I like yours can I steal it?
post #26380 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Cool thanks guys. Expect some PM's in the near future. David, I'm no good at making up names... I like yours can I steal it?
Sure...only require a small royalty.
carp likes this.
post #26381 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Well that's you're first problem, calling these PA speakers. These are high efficiency speakers designed by a guy with a pro audio background but they aren't PA speakers. Now the JTR speakers are more industrial looking but the Seaton Catalyst 12 is a good looking speaker in the same vain. Now, if you want to call the Danley some people run in their home theater a PA speaker, well, you'd be correct.
Quote:
Oh yeah, what part of CA as there are JTR owners all over CA?
Hahaha. Why can Danley be called PA speakers, because they're used that way?

San Francisco or Palo Alto would be best.
post #26382 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hahaha. Why can Danley be called PA speakers, because they're used that way?

San Francisco or Palo Alto would be best.
Because a large piece of Danley's business is installing speakers to stadiums, raceways (auto and equestrian), and other large venues. And what would you call this speaker that is in Beast's basement theater? Sure looks like a PA style speaker to me but it is a real sweet speaker too. http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/produ...rgy-horn/sh50/

There are several that frequent this thread that are in that neck of the woods so you should be able to get a demo soon enough.

Last edited by dgage; 12-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.
post #26383 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Not saying I wasn't going to watch it, I'm just not sure how I feel about streaming movies yet. I feel like I'm becoming a snob that every movie I watch has to be in 8K HiDef and 7.8.6 audio.
Oh yeah I am no different, however I find I am all about the sound, so that is why I buy most on blu ray, however a movie like Rounders I would watch on HBO or Stream. Even though it is a good movie, not much in the sound department and that movie has got to be pushing 15 years old now? I normally shut movies off on Showtime or HBO, Cinemax etc.. that I own on BR. I don't want to wear them out persay wasting my time watching on 1080i. I would rather watch them on bluray in the theater with great sound and a great picture. Yeah, we all got it

Quote:

I don't know if I would call the Noesis 212HT's PA speakers. Maybe I am wrong. I mean they are derived from from the pro audio world, but more geared toward home cinema and have been received for music. I am sure you would be presently surprised at how well the 212's sound.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 12-13-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #26384 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm about to purchase jtr 212 LCR. I need to figure out my surrounds, rear and side and what I am going to use for atmos front and rear height speakers.

I can do 4 x slanted 8s but at 1K a pop, that's a tough pill. I would still need to figure out what Atmos/height speakers to use (lol, I don't even want to think about 8 x slanted 8s)

Any recommendations and ideas for surrounds??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26385 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post
I'm about to purchase jtr 212 LCR. I need to figure out my surrounds, rear and side and what I am going to use for atmos front and rear height speakers.

I can do 4 x slanted 8s but at 1K a pop, that's a tough pill. I would still need to figure out what Atmos/height speakers to use (lol, I don't even want to think about 8 x slanted 8s)

Thanks!

I just purchased 4 Slanted 8's and I understand your apprehension at 1k a pop but I wanted the same brand for all 7 speakers. Now I don't want to do that again for Atmos speakers but Jeff is designing some ceiling/in-ceiling speakers for this purpose and I (I think like others here) are waiting to see what he comes up with and how much they will be. Some folks here like stuff from Reaction Audio and diysoundgroup.com for surrounds. So you can check those out as well.....they are less expensive than JTR S8's.

Nabs17

Last edited by Nabs17; 12-13-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
post #26386 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I just purchased 4 Slanted 8's and I understand your apprehension at 1k a pop but I wanted the same brand for all 7 speakers. Now I don't want to do that again for Atmos speakers but Jeff is designing some ceiling/in-ceiling speakers for this purpose and I (I think like others here) are waiting to see what he comes up with and how much they will be. Some folks here like stuff from Reaction Audio and diysoundgroup.com for surrounds. So you can check those out as well.....they are less expensive than JTR S8's.

I found the Reaction Audio CX-8's worked great with my 228HT's, no issues at all using them as surrounds with JTR's.
post #26387 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 914
What about the JTR speakers is NOT a PA speaker?
A pro audio speaker is a PA speaker. These have pretty much every attribute of a pro audio, AKA PA speaker.

They are pro speaker heritage, that's where Jeff of JTR got his roots and experience - their default finish is a duratex/rhino liner like coating. They play to 130dB range, they handle 2,000 watts, they are exceptionally high sensitivity. They are huge and WAF is at the bottom of the build list while sound quality and massive capability is at the top. They must be used with a subwoofer. (outside of the RT series)

yeah....definitely PA heritage...definitely PA attributes.

And....there's not a thing wrong with that. They are darn good PA speakers, among the very best available --- they just happen to be to very excellent for home use too!
About the only reason you could say these aren't a PA speaker is because Jeff voices the residential line about 3dB down on the treble as compared to his pro line from what I understand --- because the extra treble is needed in auditoriums, but not in the home.

Call a spade a spade. Funny to see folk trying to duck the pro audio or PA label IMO. Not one thing wrong with these being spectacular PA speakers.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #26388 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What is the difference between the aluminum and wooden horn? In other words, why would a
Speaker manufacturer choose one over the other?
post #26389 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post

Thanks!

If you can assemble and paint a box, the DIY Sound Group has the Volt-8 kit in a slanted box. Comes to about $180 or so per speaker and keeps up with my JTR 228's at reference without breaking a sweat.
post #26390 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A pro audio speaker is a PA speaker. These have pretty much every attribute of a pro audio, AKA PA speaker.

They are pro speaker heritage, that's where Jeff of JTR got his roots and experience - their default finish is a duratex/rhino liner like coating. They play to 130dB range, they handle 2,000 watts, they are exceptionally high sensitivity. They are huge and WAF is at the bottom of the build list while sound quality and massive capability is at the top. They must be used with a subwoofer. (outside of the RT series)

And....there's not a thing wrong with that. They are darn good PA speakers, among the very best available --- they just happen to be to very excellent for home use too!
About the only reason you could say these aren't a PA speaker is because Jeff voices the residential line about 3dB down on the treble as compared to his pro line from what I understand --- because the extra treble is needed in auditoriums, but not in the home.

Call a spade a spade. Funny to see folk trying to duck the pro audio or PA label IMO. Not one thing wrong with these being spectacular PA speakers.
I either disagree with you completely or agree with you completely. I haven't decided yet.

I'll edit to say I wasn't trying to hide the PA fact, I just honestly think of them as a home theater speaker with PA heritage. But you made a hell of an argument so I stand corrected that these are PA speakers.

Last edited by dgage; 12-13-2014 at 08:05 PM.
post #26391 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post
What is the difference between the aluminum and wooden horn? In other words, why would a
Speaker manufacturer choose one over the other?
No clue why Jeff chose it but as a look, I think the wood looks cool and if the cabinet maker can do it, it's just the cost of wood and time to cut/shape. The aluminum horns are made by a different company so an extra cost. It depends on how quickly/easily they can make the wood horn to say whether it is more cost efficient than the aluminum horn.

I think only the speaker designer could explain their reasonings if it is only due to acoustical properties because you're also looking at a shape difference too.
post #26392 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
If you can assemble and paint a box, the DIY Sound Group has the Volt-8 kit in a slanted box. Comes to about $180 or so per speaker and keeps up with my JTR 228's at reference without breaking a sweat.
I certainly considered those prior to purchasing my slanted 8's but I wanted to stay JTR for all 7. Also, the Volts don't ever seem to be in stock lately.....not sure why. I just checked again and I see a Volt-6 offered now but it's not in stock either. I'm still considering these for my heights or the CX-8 from Reaction.

Nabs17
post #26393 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I consider the Nloesis 212HT to be home theater and the Noesis 3TX to be professional audio. Jeff does break his speakers into two different groups Professional & Home Theater.
RMK! likes this.

Chris
post #26394 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I certainly considered those prior to purchasing my slanted 8's but I wanted to stay JTR for all 7. Also, the Volts don't ever seem to be in stock lately.....not sure why. I just checked again and I see a Volt-6 offered now but it's not in stock either. I'm still considering these for my heights or the CX-8 from Reaction.
I don't think that the 6's have been put up for sale yet. When they are, however, they will go pretty quick. Even if I were to get some, I want in ceiling and would have no idea how to go about building a box for that.

I'm in the same boat as you and I think that I'm going to see what Jeff comes up with.

post #26395 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally I think I'll wait on Atmos to see if more (better) content comes out. And while I'm waiting for that the preamps will have matured to more having a 7.2.4 Atmos offering instead of the base 5.1.2 on many. I'm sure there are more expensive offerings that have more channels but I don't want to pay that much, especially when I won't be using the amp section. And that will allow various companies to release Atmos speakers. See, I've got this thing all figured out.
post #26396 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
I consider the Nloesis 212HT to be home theater and the Noesis 3TX to be professional audio. Jeff does break his speakers into two different groups Professional & Home Theater.
But Archaea has a point too...I know I've told people my speakers are capable of filling a gymanisium with sound...I guess that means my home theater speaker is also a PA speaker. Archaea wins.
post #26397 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The confusion is about semantics. PA means Public Address. So, any speakers used for that purpose can be called a PA speaker.

These speakers are so good, they are now used as 'Hi Fi' or 'Home Theater' and therefore when used as such is called a 'hi fi' speaker. I call mine HT speakers. In fact the 212s are marketed as 'Home Theater' speakers on Jeff's site. He has his 'Pro line' as well. These are made for HT use, so one should call them HT speakers instead of PA speakers.

Here's the definition:

"A public address system (PA system) is an electronic sound amplification and distribution system with a microphone, amplifier and loudspeakers, used to allow a person to address a large public, for example for announcements of movements at large and noisy air and rail terminals."

I think since so many PA system sucks in the SQ department, they have a bad rep...

The 'drivers used' have little or nothing to do with the end 'application' of fully completed speaker, although we see a majority of PA speakers uses compression drivers while a huge majority of hi-fi speakers uses dome, ribbon, etc... the speaker world is changing though.. i can see more and more using 'horn' type designs... and the whole 'hi fi' snake-oil industry as an exclusive club is fast becoming dated...

I can confidently say my 212s are more 'hi fi/ hi definition' then a vast majority of speakers marketed as 'hi fi'. In fact, i have compared it directly at my friend's shop that sells various 'hi fi' speakers, and these are far, far better... in fact, so much better that it's not even a close fight...
rcohen and lbrown105 like this.
post #26398 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But Archaea has a point too...I know I've told people my speakers are capable of filling a gymanisium with sound...I guess that means my home theater speaker is also a PA speaker. Archaea wins.
Exactly right.... The 212s can be called a 'hi fi' (if one were to place them in a polished box), or 'Home Theater' or 'PA'... whatever you like...
post #26399 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
The confusion is about semantics. PA means Public Address. So, any speakers used for that purpose can be called a PA speaker.

These speakers are so good, they are now used as 'Hi Fi' or 'Home Theater' and therefore when used as such is called a 'hi fi' speaker. I call mine HT speakers. In fact the 212s are marketed as 'Home Theater' speakers on Jeff's site. He has his 'Pro line' as well. These are made for HT use, so one should call them HT speakers instead of PA speakers.

Here's the definition:

"A public address system (PA system) is an electronic sound amplification and distribution system with a microphone, amplifier and loudspeakers, used to allow a person to address a large public, for example for announcements of movements at large and noisy air and rail terminals."

I think since so many PA system sucks in the SQ department, they have a bad rep...

The 'drivers used' have little or nothing to do with the end 'application' of fully completed speaker, although we see a majority of PA speakers uses compression drivers while a huge majority of hi-fi speakers uses dome, ribbon, etc... the speaker world is changing though.. i can see more and more using 'horn' type designs... and the whole 'hi fi' snake-oil industry as an exclusive club is fast becoming dated...

I can confidently say my 212s are more 'hi fi/ hi definition' then a vast majority of speakers marketed as 'hi fi'. In fact, i have compared it directly at my friend's shop that sells various 'hi fi' speakers, and these are far, far better... in fact, so much better that it's not even a close fight...
I thought PA stood for Professional Audio or Pro Audio.

"Professional audio, also 'pro audio', refers to both an activity and a type of audio equipment. Typically it encompasses the production or reproduction of sound for an audience, by individuals who do such work as an occupation like live event support, using sound reinforcement systems designed for the purpose. (By contrast, consumer audio is usually confined to the reproduction of sound in the home.) Professional audio can include but is not limited to broadcast radio, audio mastering in a recording studio, television studio, sound reinforcement such as a concert, DJ performances, Audio sampling, public address, surround sound movie theatres, and in some cases piped music application."
post #26400 of 26518 Old 12-13-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I thought PA stood for Professional Audio or Pro Audio.

"Professional audio, also 'pro audio', refers to both an activity and a type of audio equipment. Typically it encompasses the production or reproduction of sound for an audience, by individuals who do such work as an occupation like live event support, using sound reinforcement systems designed for the purpose. (By contrast, consumer audio is usually confined to the reproduction of sound in the home.) Professional audio can include but is not limited to broadcast radio, audio mastering in a recording studio, television studio, sound reinforcement such as a concert, DJ performances, Audio sampling, public address, surround sound movie theatres, and in some cases piped music application."
Ah.. ic..

Anyways, what I said is still valid.. the definition defines what the 'application' of the 'audio equipment' rather than what the equipment is made of...... I can see someone building a really nice cabinet for the 212s, and market it as a 'Hi Fi Home Audio' speaker...
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page