post #26611 of 26616 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Ground the iNuke chassis to the avr chassis. Problem solved.
Thanks I'll try it tomorrow!

Yamaha rxv373
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cbm 340se rear ss.
Rythmik lv12r
Dual rythmik fv15hps
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26612 of 26616 Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yep. I was recently schooled in this phenomenon yet again. A friend and avs member were at my place last week messing with my system and we decided to compare FLAC to 320. I swore the difference was obvious. So much smoother and detailed with FLAC than 320. Back and forth over and over again with the same sections of songs the difference was so clear.

He thought so too.

Then we tried it blind.

We couldn't tell the difference.

I'm curious, did you guys compare noise floor between the two (noise floor is raise on compressed files)? I know you don't listen to much orchestra music so I doubt you did that comparison [emoji2]

I know that my busted up old ears can't tell a difference between them anymore.
post #26613 of 26616 Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I'm curious, did you guys compare noise floor between the two (noise floor is raise on compressed files)? I know you don't listen to much orchestra music so I doubt you did that comparison [emoji2]

I know that my busted up old ears can't tell a difference between them anymore.
No, and ha, you are right not too much orchestra music in here - although I will listen to some classical from time to time.
post #26614 of 26616 Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
dejavu...
Official JTR speaker thread

By the way. Notnyt measured the $20 Lepai 2020 t-amp we used in our blind test just a couple days back and said its a surprisingly decent little amp on the test bench with a flat fr and no trickery. It isn't a powerhouse, but kept within its means it measures and performs quite well. It's nice to see our experiences validated since we were surprised to discover the little t-amp measured and sounded identical to much more expensive Emotiva amps etc (amps as expensive as ~$1k) in blind testing using the instant switching capability.

I've heard people subjectively say the t-amps are easy to identify because they sound different and obviously don't have a flat frequency response, which they can just tell by listening. Well...... ours was flat, as measured separately by me, MrSmithers, and now by notnyt.

What that boils down to is no one wants to think a $20 amp could possibly sound as good as their amp that costs several hundred or more. So that attitude manifests itself, and you hear what you see and expect. The truth is you can't tell the difference if the amp is kept within its means, and 10 watts on something as efficient as the JTR or Klipsch that we tested with goes a long way (to uncomfortable volumes). Blind testing FTW.
Yea.. And I bet a blind test with some of the lower cost cheaply made amps vs the higher cost quality made amps. With close to rated watts between them. No one could tell a difference. Haha.. j/k! Kinda! Just trying to stir things up. Really though... Wait, you guys got all the resources up there.. Enough with the speaker/sub gtg. Someone should make a blind test amp on highly efficient speakers and/or sub gtg. And set all the B/S aside.. Hehe.. Btw, nice post Archaea..

Last edited by rhed; Yesterday at 11:51 PM.
post #26615 of 26616 Old Today, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
dejavu...
Indeed a Dejavu.
Put some decent PA cabinets outside,wire them them up to a Behringer Inuke + Inuke DSP.
Then listen to a decent processor like XTA, Xilica or whatever.
If you do not hear the difference well then
post #26616 of 26616 Old Today, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
dejavu...

By the way. Notnyt measured the $20 Lepai 2020 t-amp we used in our blind test just a couple days back and said its a surprisingly decent little amp on the test bench with a flat fr and no trickery. It isn't a powerhouse, but kept within its means it measures and performs quite well. It's nice to see our experiences validated since we were surprised to discover the little t-amp measured and sounded identical to much more expensive Emotiva amps etc (amps as expensive as ~$1k) in blind testing using the instant switching capability.

I've heard people subjectively say the t-amps are easy to identify because they sound different and obviously don't have a flat frequency response, which they can just tell by listening. Well...... ours was flat, as measured separately by me, MrSmithers, and now by notnyt.

What that boils down to is no one wants to think a $20 amp could possibly sound as good as their amp that costs several hundred or more. So that attitude manifests itself, and you hear what you see and expect. The truth is you can't tell the difference if the amp is kept within its means, and 10 watts on something as efficient as the JTR or Klipsch that we tested with goes a long way (to uncomfortable volumes). Blind testing FTW.

I just talked to an engineer who builds Tube Amps.. and he says something that completely went over my head so i juts nodded as I am no engineer... ok, if i got him correctly, he's saying that the 'amplitude' or 'dynamic range' or 'voltage' or 'whatever engineer terms', on the tubes cannot be efficiently replicated by the modern amps... basically, he's saying there's distortion no matter what because in order to replicate what the tube can do, an A or AB class amp for instance need a very, very large coil or something that isn't in your typical receiver or amplifier... it's a physical thing... or something.. anyways, if anyone knows what he's talking about please clarify...
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 228ht by PriceGrabber.com