Official JTR speaker thread - Page 889 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Wow air freight to Canada no less! Very nice of Jeff. Okay but first things first, pictures or it didn't happen!!...lol

Congrats by the way.
LOL....I have a big white sheet up as I await my Jamestown screen (tomorrow)....so here are some pics pre and mid-install:

I'll take more pics before I hang the screen.

Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	436266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	436274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Sure. The cause of sighted /expectation bias is that the subject sees a particular product and, say if it's more expensive, expects it to sound better. According to the theory, this unconscious bias then causes them to hear things that aren't really there(proven by blind testing). So we accept that the mind can hear things that aren't there if it believes it should be.

But what about the converse situation? Why is it no one questions whether there is a blind expectation bias? If the subject believes that blind testing will show no difference then it is just as reasonable to expect them to unconsciously hear no difference, even if one exists. And how do we neutralize it? What's the "blind test" for the blind test?
Wait, wouldn't that cause some sort of testing wormhole, thus invalidating every test ever conducted?

Mind f#&*in blown...

Last edited by popalock; 12-23-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
LOL....I have a big white sheet up as I await my Jamestown screen (tomorrow)....so here are some pics pre and mid-install:

Q
Nice Quil.. You have a stellar setup. And welcome to the JTR family brotha. Btw, I know what you feeling right now. And i still feel the same way every time I fire up it up. Congrats!
AltaHomeTheatre likes this.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The carrot in a blind test is to be the one who can statistically prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he can identify which is which when his peers cannot. Conversely no one is going to say things sound the same if they don't, because they want to be the one individual who says I can identify the difference, I am special. The motivation is clear to correctly identify.

I went into the blind amp meet with the knowledge that these types of tests had been done before and it was previously revealed that amsp sounded the same within their means. But I admit, I thought I might be able to identify the t-amp and the class D iNuke because of sighted testing in my room where my class A/B Crown amp and Emotiva xpa-3 were slightly better sounding than the cheap/inferior t-amp and class d amp.

Class D is only good for subwoofer use right? How many times have you read that on these boards?

Nahhhh, I had to throw my hands up, and admit they sounded identical, despite my sighted previous perceptions/experiences. I would have loved to be the guy that could tell 10 out of 10 times correctly which amp was the t-amp or that 'less refined' class d amp.
That's not how sighted, or blind, bias works. According to the theory it doesn't matter how bad you want to "be the special guy". It's subconscious, out of your reach.
countryWV likes this.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Nahhhh, I had to throw my hands up, and admit they sounded identical, despite my sighted previous perceptions/experiences. I would have loved to be the guy that could tell 10 out of 10 times correctly which amp was the t-amp or that 'less refined' class d amp.
What if you were told that nothing below 20Hz mattered for bass and then did a subwoofer test using a receiver that rolled off at 20 Hz and concluded that nothing below 20 Hz mattered? Would that be fair?

Some amp designers work hard to get a low output impedance from their amp because they feel that damping factor is important to how things sound. Your amplifier test removed this as a factor since adding your switch increased the output impedance by so much that all the amps were now on the same playing field - just like using a 20 Hz high pass on a low bass sub test.

I'm not saying that it would have made a difference, but to eliminate a key aspect of what makes amplifiers different and then to state that all amps sound the same doesn't seem quite fair.
countryWV likes this.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Wait, wouldn't that cause some sort of testing wormhole, thus invalidating every test ever conducted?

Mind f#&*in blown...
Haha!

It's only a problem with subjective testing. Objective testing does not face the same issue. So we should be able to avoid a wormhole.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
So I got my (new version) 212HTs, dual OS's and S8s....and basically I started my email to Jeff with "Wow. Just....wow."

I'm blown away, and while I knew they would rock movies, I am very pleasantly surprised at how well they image and present music. Let me put it this way...on my way to writing this, I put my ear up to the middle of the screen (again), expecting to hear that speaker on....and it wasn't (again). I've found myself just sitting in the front row listening to tunes until well past any rational bed-time...

And to top it off, Jeff was running late, so he put a 1000lbs of speakers on an airplane (at his cost) to make a date that was important for me. Very impressive.

If I had to pick a word, it would be "effortless". Intellectually, you know you have it playing loud, but is sounds so good! So you hit "+" again.....and again...then hit "recline"....

Anyway, I'd say I need to sign off and go to bed, but reality is there's a Norah Jones disc I need to spin now...so...later!

Signed,

Extremely happy with my JTRs.

Ahh yes, hit plus, then plus again and then recline (then maybe plus again ). I know the drill well. Off for the holidays and recovering from a second foot surgery has given me a lot of time in the HT alone. Movies, music and more of both has been a fantastic way to while away the hours. Effortless is an excellent adjective to describe the JTR HT experience. We go round and round about products, pricing and the science involved but the enjoyment of the effortless power, incredible quality and detail of these hand built residential Home Theater speakers is ... priceless.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
What if you were told that nothing below 20Hz mattered for bass and then did a subwoofer test using a receiver that rolled off at 20 Hz and concluded that nothing below 20 Hz mattered? Would that be fair?

Some amp designers work hard to get a low output impedance from their amp because they feel that damping factor is important to how things sound. Your amplifier test removed this as a factor since adding your switch increased the output impedance by so much that all the amps were now on the same playing field - just like using a 20 Hz high pass on a low bass sub test.

I'm not saying that it would have made a difference, but to eliminate a key aspect of what makes amplifiers different and then to state that all amps sound the same doesn't seem quite fair.
That's a good one DD.. But I think the subject was different type amps powering different type speakers on a blind test. Mainly cheaply made ones ( Behringer, some of the cheap Crowns, etc). And higher cost or quality ones.
I think that was the subject..
Old 12-23-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Ahh yes, hit plus, then plus again and then recline (then maybe plus again ). I know the drill well. Off for the holidays and recovering from a second foot surgery has given me a lot of time in the HT alone. Movies, music and more of both has been a fantastic way to while away the hours. Effortless is an excellent adjective to describe the JTR HT experience. We go round and round about products, pricing and the science involved but the enjoyment of the effortless power, incredible quality and detail of these hand built residential Home Theater speakers is ... priceless.

Thanks for sharing your first impressions.
You wanna hear my impressions again RMK? I know I post them so much that I think when everyone here see's my impression post of JTR speakers. They start puking because I've posted it more then 20 times about it... Haha! Oh wait, I think the JTR subs I posted was what... 30 times?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:

Michael,

I think that concern is unfounded, and I told you that the last time you mentioned it. I asked you to clarify, but didn't see a response. I measured all eight single throw, dual pole switches with a multimeter before the test, the impendance was registered at a couple hundreths of an ohm. (basically non existant). I used 12 gauge speaker wire, in matching lengths that were between 1/3 and 1/2 the distance of what could possibly cause an audible issue according to the Roger Russel wire table information here:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

We performed the testing with both four ohm and eight ohm speakers.

You'll have to explain how my 30' of 12 gauge copper speaker wire used in my switching mechanisms, is going to be different than the typical users 30' of speaker wire used in their room, because my multimeter says the actual electrical switches impedance is absolutely trivial, and the overall combined line/switch impendance was WELL below the conservative 5% rated impedance of the speaker's nominal rating that could cause audible implications.

If you think you can tell the difference between say 6' of 12 gauge wire (which is probably the shortest length of wire any typical front soundstage would use) and 30' of the same 12 gauge wire on your choice of 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers with everything else being the same, then your dampening argument has merit ------- BUT, I'd be suprised to hear anyone say they could distinguish that diffference.
RMK!, rhed, asoofi1 and 1 others like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 12-23-2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Softened because Michael is my friend and exceptionally intelligent, but I'd punch him on the arm if he were here.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
That's not how sighted, or blind, bias works. According to the theory it doesn't matter how bad you want to "be the special guy". It's subconscious, out of your reach.
We had guys attend the meet that absolutely knew for sure they could tell the difference between amplifiers going in. Most of us were undecided. Like I said that test was before I came to my own conclusion on the subject. One of these guys who believed very much in the differences between amps, sold all his emotiva gear immediately after the meet, due to his own observations that he couldn't tell the difference between a T-amp and a $1K Emotiva amp on his own Klipsch speakers running full range.

I have a standing offer to loan the switching mechanism to any trusted AVSforum member who is interested in testing out their own amps themselves or with some local peers.
Frohlich, RMK!, rhed and 2 others like this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 12-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
You wanna hear my impressions again RMK? I know I post them so much that I think when everyone here see's my impression post. They start puking because I've posted it more then 20 times about it... Haha!
Yeah, I know and I'm sure that there are many eyes rolling thoughts when I post my superlatives too. But for those of us fortunate enough to have this level of audio/video performance at home, it is a very special thing and I (for one) don't get tired of reading about the experiences of others. Whether it's JTR or another brand, we feel a connection based upon having a great experience in common and that's cool.
rhed, countryWV and coolgeek like this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1358 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Yeah, I know and I'm sure that there are many eyes rolling thoughts when I post my superlatives too. But for those of us fortunate enough to have this level of audio/video performance at home, it is a very special thing and I (for one) don't get tired of reading about the experiences of others. Whether it's JTR or another brand, we feel a connection based upon having a great experience in common and that's cool.
well said and its why (although never being in the market for JTR's) after I bought my PSA MT 110's I have now frequented this thread as well
RMK! likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPR-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
So I got my (new version) 212HTs, dual OS's and S8s....and basically I started my email to Jeff with "Wow. Just....wow."

I'm blown away, and while I knew they would rock movies, I am very pleasantly surprised at how well they image and present music. Let me put it this way...on my way to writing this, I put my ear up to the middle of the screen (again), expecting to hear that speaker on....and it wasn't (again). I've found myself just sitting in the front row listening to tunes until well past any rational bed-time...

And to top it off, Jeff was running late, so he put a 1000lbs of speakers on an airplane (at his cost) to make a date that was important for me. Very impressive.

If I had to pick a word, it would be "effortless". Intellectually, you know you have it playing loud, but is sounds so good! So you hit "+" again.....and again...then hit "recline"....

Anyway, I'd say I need to sign off and go to bed, but reality is there's a Norah Jones disc I need to spin now...so...later!

Signed,

Congrats Quill always good to see someone else receive a very nice shipment of JTR's. Oh how I wanted to incorporate OS's into my theater but they are too big....hope you enjoy yours. Really like how you have the S8 mounted...looks great.

Keep posting your impressions and enjoy.

Nabs17
Old 12-23-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's a good one DD.. But I think the subject was different type amps powering different type speakers on a blind test. Mainly cheaply made ones ( Behringer, some of the cheap Crowns, etc). And higher cost or quality ones.
I think that was the subject..
I think you missed my point completely. One of the key differences in amps is output impedance. So if the subject is really testing different amps, then why eliminate a key difference (output impedance) in a blind test? You've no longer allowed the amps to be "different" in one metric that some consider important and audible.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:

Q

^ Yep, you aren't getting off that easy with a measly 2 pics!!

Such a great system, dual OS was a great choice IMO!! Just in time for Christmas too, friggin awesome man!
Old 12-23-2014, 09:15 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1258
It is funny, just the mentioning of dual orbit shifters has me EVERY TIME type in www.jtrspeakers.com and go look at the stats on them. Call it pavlov's dog, but it is like clockwork....
countryWV likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
It is funny, just the mentioning of dual orbit shifters has me EVERY TIME type in www.jtrspeakers.com and go look at the stats on them. Call it pavlov's dog, but it is like clockwork....
Haha, yeah and then I start thinking about the OS pro. 139 db's above 37hz!! Talk about chest pounding!! Jeff says he listens to music with 215's and 2 OS Pro's. I'd love to experience that.
rhed and newc33 like this.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha, yeah and then I start thinking about the OS pro. 139 db's above 37hz!! Talk about chest pounding!! Jeff says he listens to music with 215's and 2 OS Pro's. I'd love to experience that.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Oh I wish I could fit two OS pros in the theater!

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 12-23-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think you missed my point completely. One of the key differences in amps is output impedance. So if the subject is really testing different amps, then why eliminate a key difference (output impedance) in a blind test? You've no longer allowed the amps to be "different" in one metric that some consider important and audible.
Yea totally missed it.. Like whoosh over my head. Haha! Thought you were talking about different subwoofers on different amps. Until I reread it over. Then read Archaea's response to that. OK, I was totally off! Oops! My bad!
Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I don't know what you're waiting for...order them. While you're at it...get 4.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
I'm surrounded by a bunch of crazy nutz
carp and newc33 like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Old 12-23-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Well I am not going to take any walls down to fit the OS pro's so I am only thinking nuts, not acting nuts (not yet anyway)

Today my Dirac kit will arrive for my XMC-1 so I'll try to stay busy with that and forget about the OS pros
carp and asoofi1 like this.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Signed,

Congrats...

What were you using before the new 212HT?

gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Old 12-23-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

OK.. I'm spitting out the secret early.. This been on my mind for awhile now. And I'm gonna do it.That is my next plan for early 2015. Hopefully before March/April.. I convinced the wifey with a floor plan on where I will put these beast. But I agreed with her that I will have to have these laying on its side rather then upright. And I have to sell some of my old deftech subs that's sittin in the storage. So the mission is on...
Frohlich likes this.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I asked you to clarify, but didn't see a response.
Sorry, I guess I missed it.

Quote:
I measured all eight single throw, dual pole switches with a multimeter before the test, the impendance was registered at a couple hundreths of an ohm.
In other words, you were doubling the output impedance of an amplifier with low output impedance. Some amps have an output impedance of .02 ohms. How do you know what is significant and what is not.

Quote:
You'll have to explain how my 30' of 12 gauge copper speaker wire used in my switching mechanisms, is going to be different than the typical users 30' of speaker wire used in their room, because my multimeter says the actual electrical switches impedance is absolutely trivial, and the overall combined line/switch impendance was WELL below the conservative 5% rated impedance of the speaker's nominal rating that could cause audible implications.

If you think you can tell the difference between say 6' of 12 gauge wire (which is probably the shortest length of wire any typical front soundstage would use) and 30' of the same 12 gauge wire on your choice of 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers with everything else being the same, then your dampening argument has merit ------- BUT, I'd be suprised to hear anyone say they could distinguish that diffference.
A typical user may have 30' of speaker wire. They also say amps sound the same. A typical person that says amplifiers sound different usually uses 8' or less for speaker wires. Some put their amps right next to the speakers for the shortest length possible.

Again, I'm not saying that it makes a difference. Crown seems to think it does, but only in the bass which wasn't being tested anyway. However, eliminating something that amplifier designers say is audible (and possibly even the only thing) seems like the wrong way to go about it. I'm not trying to impunge your test, but point out that people can still hear differences in amplifiers without your test proving they are wrong.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK.. I'm spitting out the secret early.. This been on my mind for awhile now. And I'm gonna do it.That is my next plan for early 2015. Hopefully before March/April.. I convinced the wifey with a floor plan on where I will put these beast. But I agreed with her that I will have to have these laying on its side rather then upright. And I have to sell some of my old deftech subs that's sittin in the storage. So the mission is on...
So OS pros? Do you feel like you've been missing something?
Have any pics of how you have everything setup right now? And how big is your room?

Old 12-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
You mean in addition to the 3 OS's you have now???

Nabs17
Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Congrats...

What were you using before the new 212HT?
My old ht was in an open part of the basement of a bi level where the sound carried through the whole house, so I held off on upgrading my PSB 5Ts for years. And since my kids are still young (<8), I had become a headphone aficionado....

Just moved (built) a new place with a dedicated room... And I can now watch movies at 8/10 with the family sleeping!

Admittedly, my comparative listening experiences range all across PSB, klipsch, etc and top out at paradigm studio 100s and a few sets of Focals.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So what is the secret or am I missing something? Is it OS Pro's? Something else?

Nabs17

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp