Official JTR speaker thread - Page 892 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #26731 of 26754 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Wow! I feel so old since 2015 is just around the corner.. Lol.. what a you say carp? You feelin it too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26732 of 26754 Old Today, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Merry Christmas my friends!

I just wanted to let any of you guys thinking about getting an acoustic transparent screen to put your JayTerZ behind (you should be)...strongly consider the Elite AcousticPro1080P2 screens. It's almost $1200 cheaper than the next 'normal' goto recommendations on avs and performs very well. After comparing it to a sample of seymour, I can't find any justification to spend $1000-1500 more...that money can be better used in other ht items.

After deciding it was relatively inexpensive to test out, I got a 176" 2.35 fixed sableframe a few days ago via Amazon...and I have to honestly say it looks fantastic. Even came with a nice black backing to help reduce possible reflections from back wall. Putting it together is pretty easy and just takes a couple of hours if you take your time following the directions exactly. It stretched out perfectly without any waves/wrinkles.

Packaging

Clips/etc

Rods to help stretch fabric evenly by sitting in a channel running entire length of framework.

Fabric detail, back side...even cut at an angle to reduce any chance of moire

Clips installed...following install pattern important, similar to torqueing bolts

Black acoustic backing fabric with additional vertical strut like bracing for support and final streching of fabric. Mine has two braces due to the size of the screen. The clips used are each velcro backed, so the black backing cleverly and simply catches on all the clips holding the AT fabric.

Cost less than $500 shipped...saving over a $1200...priceless.
dgage likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008

Last edited by asoofi1; Today at 12:13 PM.
post #26733 of 26754 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post
Yeah I love the look of the new wooden waveguides in the 2015 models!!

Gonna find out just how much I love them soon. I ordered a LR 2015 212HT. I am going to keep my 228 center for now due to size constraints
and move my LR 228s to rear speakers. I'll get a custom center from Jeff later if I feel it is necessary. I know one or two other JTR owners have done the
same thing, with good results.

Jeff should print some JTR Speakers T Shirts for his fan club!
I know a lot of people say the 228's wouldn't have enough coverage to use as surrounds but I've experienced them as surrounds and it was awesome! How big is your room, are the surrounds going to be real close to the seats?
post #26734 of 26754 Old Today, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I know a lot of people say the 228's wouldn't have enough coverage to use as surrounds but I've experienced them as surrounds and it was awesome! How big is your room, are the surrounds going to be real close to the seats?
The rear 228s will be 7 or 8 feet away from MLP. Can't wait to hear a five speaker JTR setup.
carp likes this.

JTR Noesis 228 (LCR)
Polk Audio LSiM 703 (Surrounds)
Seaton SubMersive HP Plus and Minus (Subs)
Denon 3312 (Receiver)
Sherbourn PA 7-350 (Amp)
Oppo BDP-103 (BluRay Player)
Sharp 80" 3D
post #26735 of 26754 Old Today, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Wow! I feel so old since 2015 is just around the corner.. Lol.. what a you say carp? You feelin it too?

I've got a bit of peter pan syndrome or something... still feel young for some reason.
post #26736 of 26754 Old Today, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Merry Christmas my friends!

I just wanted to let any of you guys thinking about getting an acoustic transparent screen to put your JayTerZ behind (you should be)...strongly consider the Elite AcousticPro1080P2 screens. It's almost $1200 cheaper than the next 'normal' goto recommendations on avs and performs very well. After comparing it to a sample of seymour, I can't find any justification to spend $1000-1500 more...that money can be better used in other ht items.

After deciding it was relatively inexpensive to test out, I got a 176" 2.35 fixed sableframe a few days ago via Amazon...and I have to honestly say it looks fantastic. Even came with a nice black backing to help reduce possible reflections from back wall. Putting it together is pretty easy and just takes a couple of hours if you take your time following the directions exactly. It stretched out perfectly without any waves/wrinkles.

Packaging

Clips/etc

Rods to help stretch fabric evenly by sitting in a channel running entire length of framework.

Fabric detail, back side...even cut at an angle to reduce any chance of moire

Clips installed...following install pattern important, similar to torqueing bolts

Black acoustic backing fabric with additional vertical strut like bracing for support and final streching of fabric. Mine has two braces due to the size of the screen. The clips used are each velcro backed, so the black backing cleverly and simply catches on all the clips holding the AT fabric.

Cost less than $500 shipped...saving over a $1200...priceless.

Woah, woah, woah!!

I'm very interested in this since I'm about to pull the trigger on a Falcon screen. Can you see the weave at ALL from the seats? How far away can you see it? MOAR PICS!!! How is the brighness? as bright as the XD material? Wow, you went with a huge screen!

Where did you get the screen material looks like Amazon only has one size.
post #26737 of 26754 Old Today, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Where did you end up crossing yours? I have two S2s. I'll see how it all measures out.
3RM's and 2 S2's....that sounds very nice indeed. Would really like to hear your impressions of that along with some pics.

You must have a nice sized room because the RM's are big along with 2 S2's...that's lots of real estate. What are your room dimensions?

Nabs17
post #26738 of 26754 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Unless you plan on standing the RM's vertically. That would look really sweet across the front if they were all vertical.

Nabs17
post #26739 of 26754 Old Today, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
A little off the subject, but there is a guy that comes to Andrews GTG's by the name of Bill (RX-8), some of you have met him. He has Seaton Cat 12's all the way around, I believe 7 in all. I have to bet that it sounds amazing. I believe I had read that @Jim Wilson heard it?
post #26740 of 26754 Old Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Woah, woah, woah!!

I'm very interested in this since I'm about to pull the trigger on a Falcon screen. Can you see the weave at ALL from the seats? How far away can you see it? MOAR PICS!!! How is the brighness? as bright as the XD material? Wow, you went with a huge screen!

I found on Amazon where you bought it. I went ahead and bought a 158" diagonal size 2:35:1 which is exactly the size of my current screen. I figure it's worth a shot and if I don't like it I'll send it back and go back to the original plan of getting the Falcon screen. Does the frame look like you could fit masking panels in? I'd love to be able to use mine.
post #26741 of 26754 Old Today, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I found on Amazon where you bought it. I went ahead and bought a 158" diagonal size 2:35:1 which is exactly the size of my current screen. I figure it's worth a shot and if I don't like it I'll send it back and go back to the original plan of getting the Falcon screen. Does the frame look like you could fit masking panels in? I'd love to be able to use mine.
Merry Christmas to you man!!!!

Nabs17
post #26742 of 26754 Old Today, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
There is a guy that comes to Andrews GTG's by the name of Bill (RX-8) and he has Seaton Cat 12's all the way around, I believe 7 in all. I have to bet that it sounds amazing. I believe I had read that @Jim Wilson heard it?
Whoa!! Yeah I remember him, holy crap didn't know he had those all around!! I'd love to see pics of that. @rx-8
post #26743 of 26754 Old Today, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Merry Christmas to you man!!!!
Thanks!! Merry Christmas to you too, tis the season for upgrades!!

I'm supposed to get it Monday, same day I might get my nearfield sub - 2 possibly huge upgrades for crazy cheap!!
post #26744 of 26754 Old Today, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

I'm supposed to get it Monday, same day I might get my nearfield sub - 2 possibly huge upgrades for crazy cheap!!
What near field sub did you buy?

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #26745 of 26754 Old Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
A little off the subject, but there is a guy that comes to Andrews GTG's by the name of Bill (RX-8), some of you have met him. He has Seaton Cat 12's all the way around, I believe 7 in all. I have to bet that it sounds amazing. I believe I had read that @Jim Wilson heard it?
Now THAT is just crazy baddass!! Would love to experience that. Imagine 7 215RT's.
post #26746 of 26754 Old Today, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
What near field sub did you buy?

Carp's Basement
post #26747 of 26754 Old Today, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That will definitely get things shaking carp.. Nice!
post #26748 of 26754 Old Today, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Hey Sheldon...how much space is there between the 4 18's you have in each front corner and your 215RT's? Was wondering if subwoofers need a certain amount of space to perform optimally. I only have about 20" from the back of my 215's to the front corner.

Nabs17
post #26749 of 26754 Old Today, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Woah, woah, woah!!

No man, you cannot see the weave from your seat at all.

Save your money! Skip Falcon, Seymour, etc. The difference is so little, you would never know what you're watching unless I told you the brand. Even a 15% increase in claimed brightness is realistically very minor...the number 15 sounds bigger than the practical application...if anything, for me black levels are more important, and black backing is helping with contrast on the Elite 1080P2...this is a shot taken within one foot comparing the XD with the P2...if I was going to nit pick, the black color seems to 'suffer' as a result on the XD since it's a little brighter...black gets creeps into dark gray:

Practically speaking, here's what it looks from my seat 16' away...can you see the xd sample and is the difference worth over triple the price:

Ignore the image not filling the screen...I still have to move the pj back a bit.

And another...hint...xd sample is still in the same spot close to the tripod:

You cannot see the weave until you're within 3-4 feet and I have to try to focus-squint to see it. And that's only with a solid bright color and you're standing within a few feet watching a blue sky...which is not practical day to day. Normal viewing is what really counts, so from 8' or more feet...you're just immersed in the image. The XD has a tighter weave, but the benefit is minor to me...especially in normal dark ht environments.

As far as different sizes, click on this link and theres a drop down to select various sizing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2G...=AC_SX200_QL40

I went with the biggest size possible in my room because it's more immersive. It's awesome. Your eyes never take in an entire image even with smaller screens down to tvs...you're always focused on one subject or object at a time on spanning a few square inches or feet...and we see with a peripheral view anyway, so this feels even more realistic with more to fill my peripheral sides.

Let me know if you want any specific pics.
carp likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: Final Price Drop ~ BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~ 3-yr Extended Warranty Included
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
post #26750 of 26754 Old Today, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Merry Christmas Carp. Hope you and your family are having a great day.

Anyway, you are going to hide your 215's?? I thought you liked looking at them? I know I love looking at mine, I would hate to put them behind an AT screen., but that may be next down the line for me.

I have been tossing up going to an AT screen for along time, but I have not be able to do one in my room anyway. I have a guy coming to do my hardwood floors and when he is here I am going to talk with him about possible ripping down my sheetrock and putting in clips and doing double drywall and removing the last two windows in my theater. I have got to get those windows out first. I still cannot believe that I left those 2 windows in, I am still kicking myself over that one. Be awhile before any of this happens, maybe around the end of summer. I have to be honest that I am pretty happy with my fixed screen as I have mounted higher and my 228 is placed pretty well under the screen. I have been very happy with my front stage, to add I also love my Carada screen, it seems to pair well with my Panny 8000. I don't have much to compare it to, but looks very nice.
post #26751 of 26754 Old Today, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
That will definitely get things shaking carp.. Nice!

Ahh, I get your comment now about feeling old. Do you have thoughts of getting the new 215's or trading out the CD (if trading it out is possible, I can't picture how that would be done without cutting wood)?
post #26752 of 26754 Old Today, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Hey Sheldon...how much space is there between the 4 18's you have in each front corner and your 215RT's? Was wondering if subwoofers need a certain amount of space to perform optimally. I only have about 20" from the back of my 215's to the front corner.
My 215's are toed in pretty sharply since I sit pretty close to them. At the corners of the 215's they are 2 inches from the drivers, I haven't had any problems.
post #26753 of 26754 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
No man, you cannot see the weave from your seat at all.

Save your money! Skip Falcon, Seymour, etc. The difference is so little, you would never know what you're watching unless I told you the brand. Even a 15% increase in claimed brightness is realistically very minor...the number 15 sounds bigger than the practical application...if anything, for me black levels are more important, and black backing is helping with contrast on the Elite 1080P2...this is a shot taken within one foot comparing the XD with the P2...if I was going to nit pick, the black color seems to 'suffer' as a result on the XD since it's a little brighter...black gets creeps into dark gray:

Practically speaking, here's what it looks from my seat 16' away...can you see the xd sample and is the difference worth over triple the price:

Ignore the image not filling the screen...I still have to move the pj back a bit.

And another...hint...xd sample is still in the same spot close to the tripod:

You cannot see the weave until you're within 3-4 feet and I have to try to focus-squint to see it. And that's only with a solid bright color and you're standing within a few feet watching a blue sky...which is not practical day to day. Normal viewing is what really counts, so from 8' or more feet...you're just immersed in the image. The XD has a tighter weave, but the benefit is minor to me...especially in normal dark ht environments.

As far as different sizes, click on this link and theres a drop down to select various sizing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2G...=AC_SX200_QL40

I went with the biggest size possible in my room because it's more immersive. It's awesome. Your eyes never take in an entire image even with smaller screens down to tvs...you're always focused on one subject or object at a time on spanning a few square inches or feet...and we see with a peripheral view anyway, so this feels even more realistic with more to fill my peripheral sides.

Let me know if you want any specific pics.
Great, great post Asim. Love the pictures. I can't tell where the XD material is! I'll be really close now, so not seeing the weave at all is important. I can see the XD weave at about 9 feet away when mrsmithers first got his screen.

My eyes are 11 feet from the screen right now, so I'll be about 9' 4" from the AT screen.
post #26754 of 26754 Old Today, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Asim, can you take pics with the lights on full close up of the side/corner of the screen and frame? I'm wondering if my masking panels will fit in there. The ledge doesn't have to be very big my panels are about 1/3rd of an inch thick.
Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page