post #26791 of 26808 Old Today, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Except for getting the JTR speakers, the Dirac room correction is easily the biggest improvement in sound I have experienced in this hobby. I know I stated this before with the two channel version, but now that I have full Dirac correction on the XMC-1 I can fully appreciate the difference for Mch music and movies.

Emotiva XMC-1 Chat Thread: technical talk only please
I really want to try Dirac but not being able get it the 2 week trial version to work with my pc makes me nervous about getting the minidsp that goes in between the PC and AVR.

Then there is the Minidsp Dirac that goes in between the AVR and amps but it only has one sub out and I assume I would have to get amps for my 4 surrounds and I don't want to have to do that.

Then there is the XMC-1 but I'd like to get Atmos at some point...

So I'm going to try to wait patiently for a future avr (possibly combined with a future minidsp) that has both Dirac and Atmos.
lbrown105 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26792 of 26808 Old Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post

I will also say that the 215's are seriously large speakers. It's hard to put it in perspective because you can read about how big they are, you can look at the measurements but none of that will prepare you for the day you take delivery. They are big!!!!
Yeah, pics don't do it justice but IMO this one I took comes the closest. This is a full size men's basketball.

Daveys likes this.
post #26793 of 26808 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
It took a day or two to convince my wife.

You didn't placed your head in that horn did you

Let's see how that phantom center can satisfy me. Looking at the comments over here I'm already more happy than this morning. It's nice to read the real experiences from owners. These are and will always be the best reviews for me.
Are you considering a premium finish? I have the standard black finish and I would say it's.....well...plain but mine are in a dedicated space so I didn't care and I have complete light control so you'll never see the detail anyway. However, it looks like yours will be in the open. If I were to place them in a room like yours I don't think I would want the standard black finish.

Nabs17
post #26794 of 26808 Old Today, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Hey Bill, that is an awesome setup. Do you run your LCR as large with the full range dsp or do you keep them as small?

Also, do you have some pictures of your setup? As you know this is a very Seaton friendly thread.
Hey Carp. I set the FOH speakers to small and the LFE duties are handled by two F2 Submersives.

I can't post any pictures at this time because the entire system has been packed up in boxes for the last 8 months due to our move and home construction. We should be in the house around the middle of January, however the HT will not be ready at that time. I may be adding two additional F2's due to the larger room dimensions (30'x19'x9'). I won't know for sure until the room is finished. Pictures will be coming but it won't be for a while.

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #26795 of 26808 Old Today, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Except for getting the JTR speakers, the Dirac room correction is easily the biggest improvement in sound I have experienced in this hobby. I know I stated this before with the two channel version, but now that I have full Dirac correction on the XMC-1 I can fully appreciate the difference for Mch music and movies.

Good info! Did you ever try the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core?

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB
post #26796 of 26808 Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, pics don't do it justice but IMO this one I took comes the closest. This is a full size men's basketball.
But they look so beautifull (and indeed so big). Maybe hard to imagine but I really like that style. They are the exact same hight as I am

Quote:
Are you considering a premium finish? I have the standard black finish and I would say it's.....well...plain but mine are in a dedicated space so I didn't care and I have complete light control so you'll never see the detail anyway. However, it looks like yours will be in the open. If I were to place them in a room like yours I don't think I would want the standard black finish.
Yes, I would like them in an other finish. At this moment I don't know which premium options excist and what the premium price will be. Is there some info somewhere to be found?

They will be in my living room and one of the things my wife demanded is a nice looking finish. Besides that she doesn't want weired treatments on walls or ceiling which I can imagine. That's the reason I'm a bit carefull and would like to exclude some things that otherwise will recuire things like wall- or ceiling treatment. When just DSP can do the job for me I will be a very happy man.

In our current living room we have the Klipsch Ultra2 THX set which is also not in a premium finish and she never appreciated this finish.

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB

Last edited by Daveys; Today at 11:02 AM.
post #26797 of 26808 Old Today, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
But they look so beautifull (and indeed so big). Maybe hard to imagine but I really like that style. They are the exact same hight as I am

Yes, I would like them in an other finish. At this moment I don't know which premium options excist and what the premium price will be. Is there some info somewhere to be found?

They will be in my living room and one of the things my wife demanded is a nice looking finish. Besides that she doesn't want weired treatments on walls or ceiling which I can imagine. That's the reason I'm a bit carefull and would like to exclude some things that otherwise will recuire things like wall- or ceiling treatment. When just DSP can do the job for me I will be a very happy man.

In our current living room we have the Klipsch Ultra2 THX set which is also not in a premium finish and she never appreciated this finish.
If I remember this correctly, Jeff had premium finish 215's with him at RMAF.

Found some :http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129359.40
post #26798 of 26808 Old Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-8 View Post
Hey Carp. I set the FOH speakers to small and the LFE duties are handled by two F2 Submersives.

I can't post any pictures at this time because the entire system has been packed up in boxes for the last 8 months due to our move and home construction. We should be in the house around the middle of January, however the HT will not be ready at that time. I may be adding two additional F2's due to the larger room dimensions (30'x19'x9'). I won't know for sure until the room is finished. Pictures will be coming but it won't be for a while.
rx-8.. That is one solid setup you got there. I don't think anyone has cat12's all the way around. Is it a 5 or 7 channel setup you got? I would run all those to full range since they are FR capable. And 2 more active F2's will make it one untouchable setup.. I got yo experience one Marks ultimate setup at the 2014 Axpona. 4 F2's up front, 4 SubM's rears, LCR cat12's, 6 cat8's surrounds. It was a truly awesome and jaw dropping experience.
post #26799 of 26808 Old Today, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaled View Post
If I remember this correctly, Jeff had premium finish 215's with him at RMAF.

Found some :http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129359.40
Thanks staaled. I saw some examples of a premium finish on JTR's forum, some really nice and some not. Personally I also like the standard black finish. Maybe I let them deliver with the standard color and if it's really not appreciated at home I can always take them to a professional painter.

Maybe it would be best if I send a mail to JTR to ask them the question about a finish.

post #26800 of 26808 Old Today, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Thanks staaled. I saw some examples of a premium finish on JTR's forum, some really nice and some not. Personally I also like the standard black finish. Maybe I let them deliver with the standard color and if it's really not appreciated at home I can always take them to a professional painter.

Maybe it would be best if I send a mail to JTR to ask them the question about a finish.
If you're gonna have WAF concerns, I really don't think she will like the standard finish. There are options...look here:

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...post1275658541

I'll try to get a close-up picture of the standard back finish to show you the detail.
Daveys likes this.

Nabs17
post #26801 of 26808 Old Today, 12:02 PM

Quote:
If you're gonna have WAF concerns, I really don't think she will like the standard finish. There are options...look here:

http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...post1275658541

I'll try to get a close-up picture of the standard back finish to show you the detail.
That's the link I was talking about with staaled when I said I saw some examples of premium finishes. I like the walnut most but didn't show this yet to my wife.

I did show her Rob's picture with the basketbal because she asked me why I had to laugh. She looked very strange to me when I showed her the picture

She did ask me if it was possible to have one big grill that would also cover the horn. I said I don't know. Maybe you know if this will destroy the performance of the horn or not. The reason why she asked is because with the Klipsch the horns are also covered by the grill.

post #26802 of 26808 Old Today, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
That's the link I was talking about with staaled when I said I saw some examples of premium finishes. I like the walnut most but didn't show this yet to my wife.

I did show her Rob's picture with the basketbal because she asked me why I had to laugh. She looked very strange to me when I showed her the picture

She did ask me if it was possible to have one big grill that would also cover the horn. I said I don't know. Maybe you know if this will destroy the performance of the horn or not. The reason why she asked is because with the Klipsch the horns are also covered by the grill.
I am sure you can cover the horn. The horns in the 212's are covered. I agree that it would look nicer if the horn was covered.
post #26803 of 26808 Old Today, 12:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I'm now rethinking the XMC-1. I was going to sit it out and wait to see if anyone has an atmos processor with Dirac (Outlaw?) but that may be a very long wait. One reason that I'm hesitant is that I'm not an Emotiva fan. I can't stand "The Lounge" and the awful atmosphere that Emotiva has actively fostered over there. I have a hard time giving money to people like that. On the flip side, who am I really punishing? It's a shame, because it sounds like the xmc is a great piece of equipment.

post #26804 of 26808 Old Today, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I am sure you can cover the horn. The horns in the 212's are covered. I agree that it would look nicer if the horn was covered.
Great, this is one I will keep in my pocket for now.

post #26805 of 26808 Old Today, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Good info! Did you ever try the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core?
I have not tried that unit. For PEQ I have always used the mini dsp which has independent levels, delays XO etc per channel but it is a manual process. I could not get it to really impact the impulse response much. Are you using the Anti mode and if so is it having much affect on the impulse response?

Dirac has me convinced the old rules about not EQ'ing above the bass region should be reconsidered with the right approach (theirs is mixed phase approach). I have heard many say the the freq domain follows the time domain, and from what I have tested Dirac is getting it right.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #26806 of 26808 Old Today, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I have not tried that unit. For PEQ I have always used the mini dsp which has independent levels, delays XO etc per channel but it is a manual process. I could not get it to really impact the impulse response much. Are you using the Anti mode and if so is it having much affect on the impulse response?

Dirac has me convinced the old rules about not EQ'ing above the bass region should be reconsidered with the right approach (theirs is mixed phase approach). I have heard many say the the freq domain follows the time domain, and from what I have tested Dirac is getting it right.
No, I haven't tried it. I didn't tried or used any besides the Audyssey XT on my Onkyo 5010.

But having said that, I have read some great reviews about that type of Anti-mode. It is able to correct the whole speaker instead of only the sub. That's where my big interests begins because I will most probably have to correct a couple of things when I will have JTR 215's in my new house.

That's the reason for my question and sorry that I can't be of any more help at this moment for you.

post #26807 of 26808 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

^actually that's great information I didn't realise anti mode had a full range correction. thx for the information.

cheers

Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
post #26808 of 26808 Old Today, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really want to try Dirac but not being able get it the 2 week trial version to work with my pc makes me nervous about getting the minidsp that goes in between the PC and AVR.

Then there is the Minidsp Dirac that goes in between the AVR and amps but it only has one sub out and I assume I would have to get amps for my 4 surrounds and I don't want to have to do that.

Then there is the XMC-1 but I'd like to get Atmos at some point...

So I'm going to try to wait patiently for a future avr (possibly combined with a future minidsp) that has both Dirac and Atmos.
Sheldon, that's a tough one. I am really curious to hear the 215 in two channel mode with Dirac but I also understand your wanting the Atmos setup. Sooo many decisions

Reply Speakers

Tags
228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread