Official JTR speaker thread - Page 896 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread

Speakers

N8DOGG's Avatar N8DOGG
09:01 AM Liked: 352
post #26851 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 5,975
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Wow.. It's just a mix bag with all I read about Emotiva. Some people with bad experience and some just rave about them. And then a faulty with the D-sonic? Bro.. I'm thinking you either having bad luck with amps you go through. And then again when I think about it.. with all that fire power you have in your cave.. You're not really the type to run amps hard on occasion only..haha!
Again, there is no excuses no matter how hard you drive them, it should hold its reliability for any givin length. Lol
lol, I've had around 20 different amps, the emotiva and the D-Sonic were the only ones that ever had problems. At least the D-Sonic was just a wire, the modules were easy to change myself, took 10 minutes from start to finish once we figured out what was wrong. It's been fine ever since (so about 3 years or so now)

On a funny side note, I had some of my in-laws in yesterday and my sister in law wanted to watch Edge Of Tomorrow on the system, so I cranked up the first part and just watched he jump out of her chair LOL. After watching it the second time, Other than the first part, the rest of the movie doesn't really have the best sound IMO. It's really hit and miss.
countryWV's Avatar countryWV
10:47 AM Liked: 165
post #26852 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,418
Joined: Aug 2011
Anyone interested in 3 x 2012 T12s ............. If anyone needs a reference to how good and loud these speakers sound just ask my neighbors.

FS: 3 X 2012 JTR Triple 12

Price includes Paypal fee although I do accept Cash for a 3% discount
rangers's Avatar rangers
11:09 AM Liked: 33
post #26853 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 217
Joined: May 2011
countryWV, what are you getting to replace those T12s?
newc33's Avatar newc33
11:09 AM Liked: 87
post #26854 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,031
Joined: Feb 2013
Just got umike 1 in the mail today! Time to start playing with REW
rangers's Avatar rangers
11:11 AM Liked: 33
post #26855 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 217
Joined: May 2011
Duh, I went to your sale link....looks like we will soon have the same speakers.
countryWV's Avatar countryWV
11:29 AM Liked: 165
post #26856 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,418
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers View Post
Duh, I went to your sale link....looks like we will soon have the same speakers.
I already ordered a pair of 212HTs. Center will follow after I sell my T12s.
This picture was more than I could resist.



RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
12:03 PM Liked: 444
post #26857 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 6,117
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
Anyone interested in 3 x 2012 T12s ............. If anyone needs a reference to how good and loud these speakers sound just ask my neighbors.

FS: 3 X 2012 JTR Triple 12

Price includes Paypal fee although I do accept Cash for a 3% discount
That is a good deal for your T12's Chris. After all of my "upgrading", the original T12's, JTR surrounds and subs made for a fantastic HT audio setup and if I were a "normal" person, I would still be enjoying them today.

Going for that last 5% (pick a number) is an obsession shared by a lot of us afflicted with Audio/Video disease. Perhaps we should be thinking about a "group buy" for psychotherapy services rather than for speakers and AV gear. In any case, enjoy the new speakers and the nice improvement in SQ that comes with each upgrade.

P.S. Glad to see you hanging in there with the Submersives. I know MANY here don't agree, but a pair of those is all anyone needs to achieve great bass for music and even HT.
rhed's Avatar rhed
12:05 PM Liked: 237
post #26858 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
I already ordered a pair of 212HTs. Center will follow after I sell my T12s.
This picture was more than I could resist.


Nice WV.. Yea those pictures that Jeff put up makes them look tempting.. I guess you fell into the temptation hah! Don't tell me.. It was the wooden horn that did it? I couldn't agree more though. Besides the new specs those wooden horns just makes them look aggressive.. Lol! Nice!
RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
01:07 PM Liked: 444
post #26859 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 6,117
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
Wauw, you have an awesome room and I love the photo with your dog and three 215's.

Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated and gives me a good idea what to expect. Also very nice to hear about that phantom center.

Were you only using the left and right front speakers in the setup I saw on the picture? If so I'm getting much more confident that it will be ok for me as well.

The room you have is from a base point of view a little better to start with. Next to your left you have some wall and then it opens up I think? In my coming situation it's open all the way for the right front and that's giving me a little headache.

Did you need to do a lot of treatment or/and DSP to the room when you installed the 215's Rob?
Again, a pair of 215's produce a huge soundstage. When we watched the Joe Bonamassa Live in Vienna Bluray the other night with friends, I didn't check the audio on startup and it defaulted (like many concert blurays) to PCM Stereo. I was sitting in the worst seat (back left) for sound in the HT and it sounded great from that seat. I knew something was off as the surrounds were silent (especially noticeable with crowd noise and applause) but it sounded so good I let it play on. That seat is on a direct line with the front left 215 and there was still a good stereo image even from there. The DTS MA 5.1 audio track is the best way to listen to that concert disk but it sounded great in stereo even off axis where I was sitting. The 215's throw the biggest (bestus ) soundstage of any speaker I have heard in my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
That's the link I was talking about with staaled when I said I saw some examples of premium finishes. I like the walnut most but didn't show this yet to my wife.

I did show her Rob's picture with the basketbal because she asked me why I had to laugh. She looked very strange to me when I showed her the picture

She did ask me if it was possible to have one big grill that would also cover the horn. I said I don't know. Maybe you know if this will destroy the performance of the horn or not. The reason why she asked is because with the Klipsch the horns are also covered by the grill.
I think you are talking about Sheldon's (carp) b-ball pic with his 215RT's. My HT photos don't include me but as you noted above do include my dog Ajax. He is better looking than carp but doesn't play basketball worth a damn (good D but can't score)
Daveys's Avatar Daveys
01:18 PM Liked: 12
post #26860 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 49
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Again, a pair of 215's produce a huge soundstage. When we watched the Joe Bonamassa Live in Vienna Bluray the other night with friends, I didn't check the audio on startup and it defaulted (like many concert blurays) to PCM Stereo. I was sitting in the worst seat (back left) for sound in the HT and it sounded great from that seat. I knew something was off as the surrounds were silent (especially noticeable with crowd noise and applause) but it sounded so good I let it play on. That seat is on a direct line with the front left 215 and there was still a good stereo image even from there. The DTS MA 5.1 audio track is the best way to listen to that concert disk but it sounded great in stereo even off axis where I was sitting. The 215's throw the biggest (bestus ) soundstage of any speaker I have heard in my room.
This story gives me more confidence that I'm making the right decision. I'm still a little afraid for the long wall and one of the 215's in the middle of it but so be it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I think you are talking about Sheldon's (carp) b-ball pic with his 215RT's. My HT photos don't include me but as you noted above do include my dog Ajax. He is better looking than carp but doesn't play basketball worth a damn (good D but can't score)
LOL, I understand that Ajax can't do that. I tell you why, Ajax is my soccer team in Holland. They come from Amsterdam and are named after this Greek God
rhed's Avatar rhed
02:13 PM Liked: 237
post #26861 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	444498

@Daveys ..This is the Lamborghini black..
Attached:
rhed's Avatar rhed
02:17 PM Liked: 237
post #26862 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	444506

Another angle..
Attached:
Nabs17's Avatar Nabs17
02:22 PM Liked: 54
post #26863 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 497
Joined: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Attachment 444506

Another angle..
I do like that finish.
Nabs17's Avatar Nabs17
02:26 PM Liked: 54
post #26864 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 497
Joined: Apr 2003
Check out what came for me today....
Attached: s8 in box.jpg (182.7 KB)  s8 open box.jpg (172.0 KB)  s8 and 215RM.jpg (140.9 KB)  s8 on floor.jpg (226.6 KB) 
rhed's Avatar rhed
02:35 PM Liked: 237
post #26865 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Check out what came for me today....
Yup.. Your gonna love those.. I have all EQ disabled to my Slanteds too. They sound so much fuller without any processing done in the surrounds. Even if set to small.. Huge sound in such a small cabinet.. Have fun Nabs. Your system is one solid, complete setup..
rhed's Avatar rhed
02:38 PM Liked: 237
post #26866 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I do like that finish.
Yea.. I love that finish too. I took that shot at this past Axpona 2014. When I went to demo the 215's and other speakers.
7channelfreak's Avatar 7channelfreak
02:40 PM Liked: 74
post #26867 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 613
Joined: Jan 2012
Hahaha. Those Slanted 8s look tiny next to that 215RM. And all four fit on top of it.
Daveys's Avatar Daveys
02:48 PM Liked: 12
post #26868 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 49
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
@Daveys ..This is the Lamborghini black..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Another angle..
That is a really nice finish you have there. It shows perfect in the second picture and even in the horn its so smooth. Thanks a lot for this effort rhed!
Nabs17's Avatar Nabs17
02:55 PM Liked: 54
post #26869 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 497
Joined: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Yup.. Your gonna love those.. I have all EQ disabled to my Slanteds too. They sound so much fuller without any processing done in the surrounds. Even if set to small.. Huge sound in such a small cabinet.. Have fun Nabs. Your system is one solid, complete setup..
Thanks rhed...I am looking forward to hearing these and my plan is no EQ on the surrounds either. They will be set to small and crossed over @80hz.
newc33's Avatar newc33
03:12 PM Liked: 87
post #26870 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,031
Joined: Feb 2013
This might not be the best place to ask but I'm gonna anyway lol

I'm going to best buy now to buy a new and first ever apple computer. When I get home I want to setup REW and was wondering what else I might need while I'm at best buy to be able to run it. (My umike 1 just arrived today so I'll be using that)
rhed's Avatar rhed
03:18 PM Liked: 237
post #26871 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
That is a really nice finish you have there. It shows perfect in the second picture and even in the horn its so smooth. Thanks a lot for this effort rhed!
Daveys.. Just to clarify that I have the standard finish on my 215's. I took these shot at the 2014 Axpona show.
This finish is jaw dropping. Daveys.. If your all 2 channel setup guy.And needs to be WAF approved. Then the premium finish like this or other that's available is so worth it. Jeff does a immaculate job.
lbrown105's Avatar lbrown105
03:40 PM Liked: 142
post #26872 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,073
Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
This might not be the best place to ask but I'm gonna anyway lol

I'm going to best buy now to buy a new and first ever apple computer. When I get home I want to setup REW and was wondering what else I might need while I'm at best buy to be able to run it. (My umike 1 just arrived today so I'll be using that)
Make sure you have all the proper connectors and enough length on the cord going to the mike that you can reach around the room.


Using REW can be a bit time consuming at first but it is a great investment if you are really interested in understanding your set up and getting the most out of it. Good move!
newc33's Avatar newc33
03:48 PM Liked: 87
post #26873 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,031
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Make sure you have all the proper connectors and enough length on the cord going to the mike that you can reach around the room.


Using REW can be a bit time consuming at first but it is a great investment if you are really interested in understanding your set up and getting the most out of it. Good move!

Thanks!

Did I hear someone say something about needing a soundcard?

As far as connectors go idk really what I need. Just the cord from the mic to the computer I assume. ?
rhed's Avatar rhed
03:58 PM Liked: 237
post #26874 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
This might not be the best place to ask but I'm gonna anyway lol

I'm going to best buy now to buy a new and first ever apple computer. When I get home I want to setup REW and was wondering what else I might need while I'm at best buy to be able to run it. (My umike 1 just arrived today so I'll be using that)
The JTR thread have some of the most helpful members. I remember I posted I needed help with REW too.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1449924-simplified-rew-setup-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-how-interpret-graphs.html
Helpful members to get you started with REW..
Daveys's Avatar Daveys
04:10 PM Liked: 12
post #26875 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 49
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Daveys.. Just to clarify that I have the standard finish on my 215's. I took these shot at the 2014 Axpona show.
This finish is jaw dropping. Daveys.. If your all 2 channel setup guy.And needs to be WAF approved. Then the premium finish like this or other that's available is so worth it. Jeff does a immaculate job.
Sorry rhed, I was reading, typing and watching Breaking Bad at the same time.

It's not that I will have a choice, the premium finish is a do or die situation if you know what I mean. My wife loves a metalic finish but I think a uni-color will look best.
newc33's Avatar newc33
04:19 PM Liked: 87
post #26876 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,031
Joined: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
The JTR thread have some of the most helpful members. I remember I posted I needed help with REW too.
Simplified REW Setup and Use (USB Mic & HDMI Connection) Including Measurement Techniques and How To Interpret Graphs
Helpful members to get you started with REW..
Yes and that's why I asked here. Helpful and active members lurk here! Lol
rhed's Avatar rhed
05:07 PM Liked: 237
post #26877 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
Sorry rhed, I was reading, typing and watching Breaking Bad at the same time.

It's not that I will have a choice, the premium finish is a do or die situation if you know what I mean. My wife loves a metalic finish but I think a uni-color will look best.
I think Jeff has a gun metal finish too. He also has high gloss piano black. I bet the high gloss red must look wicked too.
dgage's Avatar dgage
06:40 PM Liked: 331
post #26878 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,840
Joined: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
This might not be the best place to ask but I'm gonna anyway lol

I'm going to best buy now to buy a new and first ever apple computer. When I get home I want to setup REW and was wondering what else I might need while I'm at best buy to be able to run it. (My umike 1 just arrived today so I'll be using that)
I was thinking this was so completely off topic that it fits perfectly in the JTR thread...that's what I think although I know some don't like the periodic off topics. Consider the JTR a cross-country trip...and every once in a while you have to get off on an exit to find some food and gas.

I can't help with the Mac part of it but for the PC you need a USB cable from the computer to the USB mic. You will also need an HDMI cable (and connector) to output the sound from the computer to the receiver/preamp. That's what I use to make sure I get a digital signal from my computer to the receiver/preamp.
rhed's Avatar rhed
08:47 PM Liked: 237
post #26879 of 26880
Yesterday | Posts: 1,518
Joined: Nov 2007
I usually feel sad about going back home from a vacation. Especially a long 9 day vacation. I had so much fun with my family at our Hilton timeshare at the neighbor island. But now I'm at the airport I'm actually kind of excited to go home to catch up with some movies. Though we did have a decent 3.1 Bose setup in our condo. And it sounded good for such a small setup. But I hardly watch any movies on it. As I was either swimming with the kids. Or having a Bbq and drinking wine with the wife. But I did hook up my iPhone and streamed some music and Christmas music too through my Tidal account. Oh well time to go back home. Btw, during my vacation, I really been on avs forum a lot. Especially this one. As I enjoyed my Christmas vacation with my family. I also enjoyed reading and posting here during my trip.
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
12:31 AM Liked: 1242
post #26880 of 26880
Today | Posts: 6,765
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Hey j.. how do I change it to 5db? I'm at home now from vacation and want to change it to 5db increments. And whats a good range? And how do I change that too? thanks...
So when you have your graph open top left of the graph there's a +/-. Clicking plus will cause it to increase dB increments, clicking the - will cause it to decrease.

I'm just going off the top of my head, I'm not in front of my laptop at the moment.
Tags: 215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3