Official JTR speaker thread - Page 898 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26911 of 31063 Old 12-30-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
It depends on the style of music. I don't often play music that goes below 30hz but I do it enough to not want to do without it. Does the RM really go to 30hz with authority?
Daveys likes this.
carp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26912 of 31063 Old 12-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
It depends on the style of music. I don't often play music that goes below 30hz but I do it enough to not want to do without it. Does the RM really go to 30hz with authority?
I wasn't trying for depth when I DSPd Coach's 215RM, more flat with a midbass boost. Looking at the Pre-DSP, if you throw some power at the situation along with a Linkwitz-transform on the sealed woofers, you might be able to get strong 30Hz output.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215rm-center-postdsp.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	451338  
dgage is offline  
post #26913 of 31063 Old 12-30-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Yeah, I could see that. Still though, he'd be covered and then some with the RT's.


carp is offline  
post #26914 of 31063 Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yeah, I could see that. Still though, he'd be covered and then some with the RT's.
Yep, the RMs might keep him happy, the RTs definitely would, at least in terms of bass. I'm assuming he's heard the 215s and likes the sonic signature. I only say that because I preferred the sound of the aluminum horn 212s over the 215s. Asoofi1 and Coach have the same preference of the 212 over the 215. And others like the 215 over the 212. So if someone hasn't heard them, I'd strongly recommend listening to them first as moving 215RTs isn't any fun.
dgage is offline  
post #26915 of 31063 Old 12-30-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Yep, the RMs might keep him happy, the RTs definitely would, at least in terms of bass. I'm assuming he's heard the 215s and likes the sonic signature. I only say that because I preferred the sound of the aluminum horn 212s over the 215s. Asoofi1 and Coach have the same preference of the 212 over the 215. And others like the 215 over the 212. So if someone hasn't heard them, I'd strongly recommend listening to them first as moving 215RTs isn't any fun.
Haha, no - no it's not. Especially if you have the heavy end.
carp is offline  
post #26916 of 31063 Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 PM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wauw, I just drove to work for the last day of this year and look at the post. Awesome forum this is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Daveys is saying he only plans to use them for music, you don't think the RM's could play down below 30hz in room? For music he's not really going to need them do go down to 18hz like the RT's.
It's not only music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
Thanks, my wife will certainly love this answer but I do want the best stereo set-up. That's why I think / thought the full range tower is the best option. I really don't want more than two speakers, no matter what the size is.

Having said this, to get the best advice from owners of the JTR's it will probably help telling you what the set-up will be.

My setup will be the TV settopbox and a PS3. I will watch some movies and series on Netflix, watch a lot of tv and listen to some music, mostly radio stations. On occasion I will watch a music BluRay from a concert.

It will be very usefull for me to have a phantom center and I don't know if the RM can create it as good as the RM?

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB
Daveys is offline  
post #26917 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Yep, the RMs might keep him happy, the RTs definitely would, at least in terms of bass. I'm assuming he's heard the 215s and likes the sonic signature. I only say that because I preferred the sound of the aluminum horn 212s over the 215s. Asoofi1 and Coach have the same preference of the 212 over the 215. And others like the 215 over the 212. So if someone hasn't heard them, I'd strongly recommend listening to them first as moving 215RTs isn't any fun.
This is the exactly the point. I won't be able to listen to them first. So why is this crazy Dutchman going for JTR? I fell in love with the looks of JTR, I read a lot of positive stories, I love SPL, I love horns, I love a good and solid bas, I want only two speakers for everything. All these things keep pushing me to the JTR's

The RM's might do the job and the RT's will definitely do the job? When this is the case I don't see the need to make a decision
RMK! and countryWV like this.

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB
Daveys is offline  
post #26918 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I don't often play music that goes below 30hz but I do it enough to not want to do without it.
This is a very solid point for me, thanks!

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB
Daveys is offline  
post #26919 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
This is the exactly the point. I won't be able to listen to them first. So why is this crazy Dutchman going for JTR? I fell in love with the looks of JTR, I read a lot of positive stories, I love SPL, I love horns, I love a good and solid bas, I want only two speakers for everything. All these things keep pushing me to the JTR's

The RM's might do the job and the RT's will definitely do the job? When this is the case I don't see the need to make a decision

Make sure you have a way to tweak the bass to your liking. One of the minidsp's would be a great choice.
carp is offline  
post #26920 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2242 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I wasn't trying for depth when I DSPd Coach's 215RM, more flat with a midbass boost. Looking at the Pre-DSP, if you throw some power at the situation along with a Linkwitz-transform on the sealed woofers, you might be able to get strong 30Hz output.


Yep after seeing that graph I would take back what I said!....LOL
Go with the 215RT!


Man both look like they fall off of a cliff at 60hz though don't they?


Here's a measurement graph from my mains, left & right full range with no EQ and 1/12 smoothing applied.





I know I know rhed, I need to show it in 5dB increments!....LOL
I was hoping to get around to take a few more measurements over the holidays, but I've been having such a great time hanging with my kids that I just haven't gotten around too it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CX-15 L&R.png
Views:	203
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	451354  
jbrown15 is online now  
post #26921 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 AM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Make sure you have a way to tweak the bass to your liking. One of the minidsp's would be a great choice.
Also a very valid point and I'm still looking which way I want to go.

Will Audyssey XT32 be able to do such a big job or am I going for the Anti-Mode DC or something in that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Yep after seeing that graph I would take back what I said!....LOL
Go with the 215RT!
Glad I didn't talk to my wife about this and asked you guys first

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB

Last edited by Daveys; 12-31-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Daveys is offline  
post #26922 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,652
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 507
So now DTS:X SURROUND is being announced for the home market at CES. I know technology changes but with 4K (HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0) and the competing new sound formats (Atmos, Auro, DTS:X), it is tricky time to buy new electronics. I was considering the Marantz 8802 that is coming out or the new Denon 7200 but no idea if they will be upgreadable to DTS:X. Might wait a little while and see how everything shakes out and just hang on to my 8801 for a while longer. Almost no Atmos or Auro disks are available for sale and wonder if any of the formats will even take off or if the DTS:x speaker configurations will line-up with Atmos or Auro (because they don't align with each other) or if it will be yet another "recommended speaker layout".


http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...eer-more/20275

Last edited by Frohlich; 12-31-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Frohlich is offline  
post #26923 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pain Infliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 4,065
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
So now DTS:X SURROUND is being announced for the home market at CES. I know technology changes but with 4K (HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0) and the competing new sound formats (Atmos, Auro, DTS:X), it is tricky time to buy new electronics. I was considering the Marantz 8802 that is coming out or the new Denon 7200 but no idea if they will be upgreadable to DTS:X. Might wait a little while and see how everything shakes out and just hang on to my 8801 for a while longer. Almost no Atmos or Auro disks are available for sale and wonder if any of the formats will even take off or if the speaker configurations will line-up with Atmos or Auro (because they don't align with each other) or if it will be yet another "recommended speaker layout".


http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...eer-more/20275

This is the exact reason why I am waiting a couple of years to buy a new avr.
Pain Infliction is offline  
post #26924 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 05:38 AM
Deep Sea Sound
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
This is the exactly the point. I won't be able to listen to them first. So why is this crazy Dutchman going for JTR? I fell in love with the looks of JTR, I read a lot of positive stories, I love SPL, I love horns, I love a good and solid bas, I want only two speakers for everything. All these things keep pushing me to the JTR's

The RM's might do the job and the RT's will definitely do the job? When this is the case I don't see the need to make a decision
Then you are a good candidate for the 215RTs. If you haven't heard the 212s or 215s then you won't have any preconceived notions. Since you mentioned liking horns, the 215s will be great but they won't be as bright as the Klipsch, which to me is a good thing. I think you'll get used to them pretty quickly and love them...the 215RTs I mean.
Daveys likes this.
dgage is offline  
post #26925 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 264
@Daveys

I agree that if you don't plan on using subs, the RT models are the clear choice. The RMs and HTs are designed to be used with subs.

There is a significant benefit to having a full range system with bass, whether it's with full range speakers or with subs. You don't get speakers in this class if you don't want the best.

I'd also recommend some kind of good room correction and EQ that allows fine tuning the sound to your taste. I really like Dirac, which can be had as PC software (if you use a PC as your only source), in the XMC-1 pre-amp, or as a Dirac miniDSP (if you want to use it with your existing receiver).

http://www.minidsp.com/products/dira...t-line-summary
http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store.aspx
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1
carp and Daveys like this.
rcohen is offline  
post #26926 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
This is the exact reason why I am waiting a couple of years to buy a new avr.
Yeah, I think you pretty much have to plan on buying one in a couple years for a surround setup, regardless of what you do now.
rcohen is offline  
post #26927 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nabs17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 1,111
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
This is the exact reason why I am waiting a couple of years to buy a new avr.
Same here.

Nabs17
Nabs17 is offline  
post #26928 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 07:11 AM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Then you are a good candidate for the 215RTs. If you haven't heard the 212s or 215s then you won't have any preconceived notions. Since you mentioned liking horns, the 215s will be great but they won't be as bright as the Klipsch, which to me is a good thing. I think you'll get used to them pretty quickly and love them...the 215RTs I mean.
Actually the brightness of the Klipsch is the reason that I'm searching for something else, more laid back. The Klipsch is too much in your face for my taste at higer volumes. Maybe it was the combination with my Onkyo.

What would be a good pre-amp with the JTR's to have it nice and laid back sounding? I always believe the pre-amp has the most influence on the final sound you will get and not the amplifier.

It is nice that you, actually the speakers, can go loud if you want and with the JTR's in general that won't be a problem. Like carp said, I don't often play music that goes below 30hz but I do it enough to not want to do without it..

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB
Daveys is offline  
post #26929 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 07:27 AM
Ace of Bass
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,624
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
So now DTS:X SURROUND is being announced for the home market at CES. I know technology changes but with 4K (HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0) and the competing new sound formats (Atmos, Auro, DTS:X), it is tricky time to buy new electronics. I was considering the Marantz 8802 that is coming out or the new Denon 7200 but no idea if they will be upgreadable to DTS:X. Might wait a little while and see how everything shakes out and just hang on to my 8801 for a while longer. Almost no Atmos or Auro disks are available for sale and wonder if any of the formats will even take off or if the DTS:x speaker configurations will line-up with Atmos or Auro (because they don't align with each other) or if it will be yet another "recommended speaker layout".


http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...eer-more/20275
Yep......Just going to slowly work a quad set of ceiling speakers into the theater. Take my sweet time running the wire and have everything cocked-locked, and and ready to rock when I do decide to pull that trigger One thing I haven't seen, are people just going to be bitstreaming from their BD players to take advantage of atmos encoded discs with these new AVR/P's? AFAIK the oppo won't decode atmos format or am I missing something?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)


Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is offline  
post #26930 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 07:34 AM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
@Daveys

I agree that if you don't plan on using subs, the RT models are the clear choice. The RMs and HTs are designed to be used with subs.

There is a significant benefit to having a full range system with bass, whether it's with full range speakers or with subs. You don't get speakers in this class if you don't want the best.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
@Daveys
I'd also recommend some kind of good room correction and EQ that allows fine tuning the sound to your taste. I really like Dirac, which can be had as PC software (if you use a PC as your only source), in the XMC-1 pre-amp, or as a Dirac miniDSP (if you want to use it with your existing receiver).

http://www.minidsp.com/products/dira...t-line-summary
http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store.aspx
https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/xmc-1
I'm getting more and more into this room correction. There is a lot to read and a lot to learn. I will definitely need it, no doubt about that. Have you seen my room a couple of pages back

I read a lot of good things about the Anti-Mode Dual Core. It will correct the total speaker instead of only the subs but this is only one of many options available. Also Dirac is recommended by a lot of people.

About Emotiva, I don't think I will go that way. I read to many stories about them at the moment about hsss'es and ssss'es. That doesn't sound laid back enough for me.

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB
Daveys is offline  
post #26931 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
Actually the brightness of the Klipsch is the reason that I'm searching for something else, more laid back. The Klipsch is too much in your face for my taste at higer volumes. Maybe it was the combination with my Onkyo.

What would be a good pre-amp with the JTR's to have it nice and laid back sounding? I always believe the pre-amp has the most influence on the final sound you will get and not the amplifier.

It is nice that you, actually the speakers, can go loud if you want and with the JTR's in general that won't be a problem. Like carp said, I don't often play music that goes below 30hz but I do it enough to not want to do without it..
If you are using Dirac these kinds of concerns are non-issues. You can tailor it to your taste. No need to worry about subtle differences in sounds between preamps, DACs, etc. You can't push speakers beyond their capabilities, but the JTR speakers are very capable. Other EQ systems can do similar stuff, but I have had better luck with Dirac.

If you need a pre-amp, I think the Emotiva one with built in Dirac would probably work well for you, as long as you get the $100 full Dirac upgrade. There are ways to get big discounts on it, too. I wouldn't be scared at all about it not being laid back enough. If that's the case, just fine tune the target curve to be perfect.

It's hard to predict how specific speakers (or anything) will sound in your room, so it's hard to put too much stock in other people's experiences. That's part of why the ability to fine tune to perfection is so valuable.
Daveys likes this.
rcohen is offline  
post #26932 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,305
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Daveys, from reading your posts, you should go with the 215 Rt. They will handle every situation. The RMs will lack in areas. Do it once and do it right... Believe me, it's the way to do it
N8DOGG is offline  
post #26933 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Daveys, from reading your posts, you should go with the 215 Rt. They will handle every situation. The RMs will lack in areas. Do it once and do it right... Believe me, it's the way to do it
Great advise! I spent a couple of hours yesterday at carps listening to his 215's with music I am extremely familiar with (as in 30+ years with a multitude of systems) and the 215's were the best I've heard. Full range with power...such deeeeeeeeeep and powerful bass made it hard to believe no subs were in the chain.
RMK! likes this.

___________________________________________
NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ve-design.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #26934 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
Also a very valid point and I'm still looking which way I want to go.

Will Audyssey XT32 be able to do such a big job or am I going for the Anti-Mode DC or something in that range.



Glad I didn't talk to my wife about this and asked you guys first
Anti-Mode DC has options to tweak the sound.
XT32 does not.
Since you won't use subwoofers XT32 would not be my choice since you can't even trim those.
Daveys likes this.

Last edited by staaled; 12-31-2014 at 08:33 AM.
staaled is offline  
post #26935 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Daveys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Daveys, from reading your posts, you should go with the 215 Rt. They will handle every situation. The RMs will lack in areas. Do it once and do it right... Believe me, it's the way to do it
Very good advice and also a great line, "do it once and do it right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Great advise! I spent a couple of hours yesterday at carps listening to his 215's with music I am extremely familiar with (as in 30+ years with a multitude of systems) and the 215's were the best I've heard. Full range with power...such deeeeeeeeeep and powerful bass made it hard to believe no subs were in the chain.
Great to read this also and great support, thanks!

Can you tell me anything about the phantom center? Did you experience that yesterday at carps?

LG 60PM6700 - Klipsch THX Ultra2 - Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Mogami W3103 LS - Monster M1000 SW en HD - PS3 Slim 250GB

Last edited by Daveys; 12-31-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Daveys is offline  
post #26936 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,952
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Great advise! I spent a couple of hours yesterday at carps listening to his 215's with music I am extremely familiar with (as in 30+ years with a multitude of systems) and the 215's were the best I've heard. Full range with power...such deeeeeeeeeep and powerful bass made it hard to believe no subs were in the chain.

Great time yesterday Steve, I spend a couple hours late last night listening to some more Sabbath! Thanks for coming over again, I talked to Jonathan and he said you guys had a good time over there too (however I'm now I'm scared of a small pox outbreak!) - I wish I could have made it over.

I painted the nearfield box last night. I figured I'd do it like I did all the flat packs, just paint it in the laundry room. Well, that was a bad idea. My wife came down at 1 in the morning and said she woke up with a headache and couldn't sleep because the whole house smells like paint!! So, I'm opening up windows at 1 in the morning to air it out with an outside temperature of 5 degrees or something like that. Good times. I'm an idiot.
carp is offline  
post #26937 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 3,915
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Great advise! I spent a couple of hours yesterday at carps listening to his 215's with music I am extremely familiar with (as in 30+ years with a multitude of systems) and the 215's were the best I've heard. Full range with power…such deeeeeeeeeep and powerful bass made it hard to believe no subs were in the chain.
So I am curious what your thoughts are with Carps 215's and my 215's at the GTG? Did you notice a difference or one you preferred?
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #26938 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveys View Post
Very good advice and also a great line, "do it once and do it right"

Great to read this also and great support, thanks!

Can you tell me anything about the phantom center? Did you experience that yesterday at carps?
In my experience constant directivity speakers excel at producing a solid center image and the 215's were no exception. I ran my 4 Pi's for several years w/o a center speaker and at times I still prefer not using the center channel speaker when watching by myself. The 215's will work well for your needs unless you sit way outside the sweet spot.

___________________________________________
NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ve-design.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #26939 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Great time yesterday Steve, I spend a couple hours late last night listening to some more Sabbath! Thanks for coming over again, I talked to Jonathan and he said you guys had a good time over there too (however I'm now I'm scared of a small pox outbreak!) - I wish I could have made it over.

I painted the nearfield box last night. I figured I'd do it like I did all the flat packs, just paint it in the laundry room. Well, that was a bad idea. My wife came down at 1 in the morning and said she woke up with a headache and couldn't sleep because the whole house smells like paint!! So, I'm opening up windows at 1 in the morning to air it out with an outside temperature of 5 degrees or something like that. Good times. I'm an idiot.
I had a great time at both your place and Jonathan's. I am ready to retire now and move back home, but alas I have to wait.

Sounds like you will be in the dog house! Better than getting some duratex on the carpet...

___________________________________________
NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ve-design.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #26940 of 31063 Old 12-31-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 2,112
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
So I am curious what your thoughts are with Carps 215's and my 215's at the GTG? Did you notice a difference or one you preferred?
I "think" the sound at carp's was cleaner than at the G2G. The bass was awesome with his house curve, and actually seems a bit light when ran w/o EQ. Definately showed that Andrew's room has some hellacious pressure vessel gain in the low frequencies (which is AWESOME).

The highs were very smooth and detailed, no harshness detected.

I guess I need to drive across the bay to hear yours in their native environment.

___________________________________________
NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ve-design.html
NWCgrad is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off