Official JTR speaker thread - Page 916 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #27451 of 29488 Old 02-05-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
@Rob
I am interested in reading your thoughts/impressions on the performance and sound quality of the JBL 8340a vs the slanted 8s. I am considering those two along with the RA CX-8 as surrounds.
I heard the 8340 at @Gorilla83 's and they sounded great. He heard my s8 at the gtg this past weekend, so he might be about to recall enough to offer his take as well.
countryWV likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27452 of 29488 Old 02-05-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
You should pm rboster, he switched from the JBL 8340's to the RA CX-8's and said that they were a significant upgrade!

Seems like Reaction Audio is really taking off! I remember when he first started out and now he has come a long way really fast.
post #27453 of 29488 Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Nice to see people posting again, that gap in activity was weird.

I have nothing to add.

Hmm off topic (as usual) I did recently buy a Panasonic 8000 projector but it's convergence was off so I sent it back, the replacement should be here next week.
post #27454 of 29488 Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
On a non JTR related news, a friend of mine bought these 2 mpnths ago and they were delivered last night
Anthony Gallo Reference 5LS's. I'm going after work to check them out. He paid 15K and before he bought them, I had never seen them before. He heard them at some trade show in Europe a few months ago and bought them on the spot. I'm pumped to go hear them! He's then coming to my place on Saturday to hear my setup. I had a AVS member over on Sunday last week. He really liked the 215's...... well duh haha

So I heard these babys tonight. Wowzers did they sound great! They just completely disappeared when on. They were really laid back, nothing like the 215's are. Like riding in a volvo vs the 215's (corvette) but still, just really awesome sounding speakers. They even come with their own amps, although He's got some Monster Krell mono's. I did bring over my Crest 7.5 to try. Again, once we started going back and forth, not a ounce of difference at any level. His wife was in the room as well, even she said they sounded the same.

I would put the Ref 5's above my old Paradigm Sig 8's in terms of musical enjoyment. They are not movie speakers, although they did go pretty loud, around 100dB theres no way they would do reference in his room. 16 x 20 x 10..... but they are a music only speaker in his place anyways. Although the price tag was kinda crazy, they played every type of music extremely well and had some really good bass as well!
Would I say I like them more than the 215's? not really they were just so different. The bass was strange, it was kinda, just there, it didn't kick or thump, just like a part of the music and at first I was really put off by it but after a while, I was opening up.

He comes over on Saturday to hear mine.... I'm really interested in what he thinks.
carp likes this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #27455 of 29488 Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
So I heard these babys tonight. Wowzers did they sound great! They just completely disappeared when on. They were really laid back, nothing like the 215's are. Like riding in a volvo vs the 215's (corvette) but still, just really awesome sounding speakers. They even come with their own amps, although He's got some Monster Krell mono's. I did bring over my Crest 7.5 to try. Again, once we started going back and forth, not a ounce of difference at any level. His wife was in the room as well, even she said they sounded the same.

I would put the Ref 5's above my old Paradigm Sig 8's in terms of musical enjoyment. They are not movie speakers, although they did go pretty loud, around 100dB theres no way they would do reference in his room. 16 x 20 x 10..... but they are a music only speaker in his place anyways. Although the price tag was kinda crazy, they played every type of music extremely well and had some really good bass as well!
Would I say I like them more than the 215's? not really they were just so different. The bass was strange, it was kinda, just there, it didn't kick or thump, just like a part of the music and at first I was really put off by it but after a while, I was opening up.

He comes over on Saturday to hear mine.... I'm really interested in what he thinks.
You mean to say you guys couldn't tell any audio difference between the Krell and the Crest? Will he bring he's Krell over to your place for the 215 demo? If so, I'd want to hear your impression on a high end amp vs a pro amp on the 215's.
post #27456 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Has anybody posted impressions of the 2015 212HT vs previous version yet?
post #27457 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
My thoughts are you likely would never be able to decipher between the two.
countryWV likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #27458 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

A pair of those happen to be available via Audiogon for way below retail. It's sad that I browse Audiogon enough to know that
RMK! likes this.
post #27459 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 237
I'm having a hard time distinguishing the differences between the '15 212HT and the '12 Triple 12. They sound damn near identical on most material. When I do hear differences it's along the lines of better clarity and dynamics. When playing music there is a little better separation of the instruments with more Snap, Crackle, and Pop.

The biggest difference is the ability to Pour the Coal to the 212s at extreme volumes. I can be at +10 on the volume without even knowing it. After the first night I realized I had to sell my surrounds before I unintentionally blew them. I would always stop at -10 to reference with the T12s which is within the limits of my surrounds but these 212s are just taking off at Reference level. The capability of the 212HT is a little intimidating actually ( and NO that doesn't mean I'm Scared )
Frohlich and coolgeek like this.

Chris

For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html
post #27460 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
My thoughts are you likely would never be able to decipher between the two.
This is what I'm guessing, and perhaps what I want to believe, since I have the old model.

The crossover is voiced for more mid bass, and the phase plug tweaks the frequency response. Both of these differences seem like they would be completely lost when used with good EQ.

One benefit that might be more significant is that the new horn is a bit larger. Just a bit, though.
countryWV likes this.
post #27461 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
I'm having a hard time distinguishing the differences between the '15 212HT and the '12 Triple 12. They sound damn near identical on most material. When I do hear differences it's along the lines of better clarity and dynamics. When playing music there is a little better separation of the instruments with more Snap, Crackle, and Pop.

The biggest difference is the ability to Pour the Coal to the 212s at extreme volumes. I can be at +10 on the volume without even knowing it. After the first night I realized I had to sell my surrounds before I unintentionally blew them. I would always stop at -10 to reference with the T12s which is within the limits of my surrounds but these 212s are just taking off at Reference level. The capability of the 212HT is a little intimidating actually ( and NO that doesn't mean I'm Scared )
When I changed from the T12 to 212, I also did not notice a dramatic difference. I was never able to A/B them directly but when I switched out to the 212, and having had the T12 for a year, my impressions were on movies they were pretty much identical and on music they were a small upgrade (better imaging, clarity, etc..) but nothing monumental to my old ears. It still think if you are a movie/HT guy and can find a pair of use T12s, you would be all set.
countryWV likes this.
post #27462 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:

Amen to that brother. The Triple 12's are great speakers and I for one was sad to see them go. The Triple 12's and a good subwoofer system gives you all anyone needs except the most needy amongst us. The grass is always greener.

People who post about big differences ("significant upgrade") with these high efficiency/output designs have an agenda or, are delusional ...
countryWV likes this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #27463 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 105
hey guys sorry for being off topic but you have all been very helpful with so much i tend to ask random things on this thread lol

so i set up and ran audyssey on my new x4100. i really like what it did with the speakers but I'm not happy with the EQ on the LFE channel. i can EQ my subs better myself with spl meter and test tones. is there any way to turn off the sub EQ?

if not would it work to tell audyssey that I'm not using subs then when finish calibration i just switch everything to 80hz x over and EQ my subs from there?

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Ascend acoustics cmt 340se side ss.
ascend acoustics cbm170se rear ss
Dual rythmik fv15hps/ 1 LV12r
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #27464 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Has anybody posted impressions of the 2015 212HT vs previous version yet?
Coach and I were surprised by the difference between the 215RM and 212HT-LP on the upper end when we compared the two (crossed at 80). I hope there is little/no difference between the wooden and aluminum horns but I wouldn't automatically assume they are the same with some subtle improvements.
post #27465 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
hey guys sorry for being off topic but you have all been very helpful with so much i tend to ask random things on this thread lol

so i set up and ran audyssey on my new x4100. i really like what it did with the speakers but I'm not happy with the EQ on the LFE channel. i can EQ my subs better myself with spl meter and test tones. is there any way to turn off the sub EQ?

if not would it work to tell audyssey that I'm not using subs then when finish calibration i just switch everything to 80hz x over and EQ my subs from there?

What measurement procedure did you use?

gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #27466 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

test tones and spl. i only measured lfe.

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Verticle Marty/UXL 18 powered with inuke 6kw DSP (and another Marty in the making)
post #27467 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:

Nope. As soon as you go to engage the subs, the unit will basically force a recalibration if you want to use audyssey. Kinda stink, but is what it is. You would be able to run things fine with audyssey off, but that isn't what you were wanting. Perhaps see what audyssey did to the mains that makes it more pleasing to your ear, and try and recreate that in the graphic EQ. It is much more rudimentary, but might get you close.

HT seats for sale!
post #27468 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
test tones and spl. i only measured lfe.

The Audyssey procedure....how many points of measurement and what were the locations?

post #27469 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks best. well i didn't buy this receiver for the audyssey and with my situation i really didn't expect it to EQ my subs to my liking. i mean 3 subs and only 2 the same. anyway i think its time for me to get some kind of external EQ and learn either REW or buy the calibrated omni mic.

one thing ill say that i didn't expect right off the bat is that my picture i noticeable more clear and detailed. i wonder if the 4k upscaler is more advanced in this. even the colors are better.

im loving the sound everywhere except the LFE and 7 channels is more of an improvement then i ever thought it could be. very immersive.

also if i turn audyssey off do i have to re calibrate the speakers to 75db and will the actual levels change? i ask because when i go to the audyssey screen it tells me all my initial calibration setting but when i just go to speaker setting and tweak things it always stays the same (so the initial ausyssey and current audio settings are different) does that make sense?

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
post #27470 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Amen to that brother. The Triple 12's are great speakers and I for one was sad to see them go. The Triple 12's and a good subwoofer system gives you all anyone needs except the most needy amongst us. The grass is always greener.

People who post about big differences ("significant upgrade") with these high efficiency/output designs have an agenda or, are delusional ...

I know I have a dissenting opinion on this BUT I never heard the 12's, just the 888's. I thought the difference when it came to music was worth every penny between the 888's and the 212's. It wasn't that I didn't like the 888's but I wouldn't constantly feel the urge to listen to 2 channel music with them either. Maybe I would have thought the same if it was the 888's vs the triple 12's?
lbrown105 likes this.
post #27471 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 AM
The Truth Hz

Just remember the internal test tone on the unit is a PRE audyssey test tone, so using it to calibrate to 75dB if planning to keep audyssey engaged will likely not be accurate if there is significant correction done. You would need an external disc to do accurate spl readings with a post-audyssey tone.

Not sure what you are getting at with the second part. Audyssey stores its distance and level values in the speaker setup menu, so tweaking those will alter the audyssey results. Not a problem really, I do it after every time I run audyssey to get my crossovers right and such.

HT seats for sale!
post #27472 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I know I have a dissenting opinion on this BUT I never heard the 12's, just the 888's. I thought the difference when it came to music was worth every penny between the 888's and the 212's. It wasn't that I didn't like the 888's but I wouldn't constantly feel the urge to listen to 2 channel music with them either. Maybe I would have thought the same if it was the 888's vs the triple 12's?
T8 and 212 are completely different speakers while the T12 and 212 share the same cabinet and 2 x 12" woofers. They are identical from 400hz down so that has a lot do with why they sound so similar.

Here is a picture of the 212HT beside the T12
https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx...HAFVzYJIUoE6WU

Submersive HP on the left and a commode with the seat up on the right.
carp and RMK! like this.

Chris

For Sale: LCR X 3 2012 JTR Triple 12 Excellent condition
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iple-12-a.html

Last edited by countryWV; 02-06-2015 at 10:18 AM.
post #27473 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

okay just for the heck of it i completely disables audyssey for now. the speakers sound great still without the EQ and just manually EQed the the subs with test tones from another source and spl meter.

then i went back and just played the test tones on the receiver and everything is set at 75 and subs 85.

now do i have to go back and re do all my distances? or does that not go away when aud. is off?

sorry for all the questions.. its my first real receiver lol

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
post #27474 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
okay just for the heck of it i completely disables audyssey for now. the speakers sound great still without the EQ and just manually EQed the the subs with test tones from another source and spl meter.

then i went back and just played the test tones on the receiver and everything is set at 75 and subs 85.

now do i have to go back and re do all my distances? or does that not go away when aud. is off?

To properly use Audyssey as it's designed and intended, it needs multiple (8 minimum) points of measurements once you have placed your speakers and each time you move them. Then you can adjust bass hot to your taste.

post #27475 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
You mean to say you guys couldn't tell any audio difference between the Krell and the Crest? Will he bring he's Krell over to your place for the 215 demo? If so, I'd want to hear your impression on a high end amp vs a pro amp on the 215's.
Yup, they sounded identical as far as we could tell. He won't be bringing his Krells over, they are 100lbs each lol
I've already had 2 X Mac MC601s on the 215's. They are my brother in laws. They sounded the same as my D-Sonic. They are extremely nice amps but sooooo over priced IMO.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #27476 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
To properly use Audyssey as it's designed and intended, it needs multiple (8 minimum) points of measurements once you have placed your speakers and each time you move them. Then you can adjust bass hot to your taste.
right i understand that. its not that i needed more bass just wasn't happy with how it was EQed (i solved the low bass problem from my earlier posts) it was EQed with a steady 15db slope form 80hz-20hz

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
post #27477 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:

distances will remain intact. No worries there

HT seats for sale!
post #27478 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

cool thanks beast!

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
post #27479 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:

I use to use Audyssey for movies or bypass L/R until I got the 215's. Audyssey just hacks the bass off the 215's. Full range and Audyssey are a bad combination.
post #27480 of 29488 Old 02-06-2015, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I use to use Audyssey for movies or bypass L/R until I got the 215's. Audyssey just hacks the bass off the 215's. Full range and Audyssey are a bad combination.
ya I'm just gona leave it off for now and learn REW so i can do my eq myself. everything still sounds great and the subs are now EQed flat with my test tones and spl meter.

7.3 w/ denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s LCR
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page