Official JTR speaker thread - Page 919 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7125Likes

Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Can you clarify the foam shipping plug info please? Is this something shipped with all the coaxes or just the 212s? Should I be looking in my 228HTs? Don't want to go digging around in there and damage something. Not home at the moment to go look but these posts sure have me curious.
Thanks. Pete
I don't think the 228HT has the new CD with the phase plug. Only the 2015 212's and 215's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked: 2433
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Well it looks like I'm back to the drawing board on reproducing the coating on my DIY overhead speakers, thanks for bring this to my attention! Anyone have any ideas on getting this accomplished?
Just use duratex. It is VERY close to the same and once they are up on the ceiling, you aren't going to notice anyways... Depending on the type of nap on your roller, you can get a near equivalent finish.
countryWV likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I don't think the 228HT has the new CD with the phase plug. Only the 2015 212's and 215's.
I would not think either. I just happened to look into my 228 last night and it seemed to be a different opening from the 215's. Smaller deeper hole. No jokes on that.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Just use duratex. It is VERY close to the same and once they are up on the ceiling, you aren't going to notice anyways... Depending on the type of nap on your roller, you can get a near equivalent finish.
Specifically, get the spray version of Duratex, which is just a little smoother...and you can add some water (10%) to smooth it out even more. You can spray it to get very smooth or roll it on. After it dries, you can sand it if you want it a little smoother. I agree with Beast that you will likely be able to get the finish very close with only a little experimenting...and even better, Duratex is rather forgiving.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys,

Just picked up my first used set of JTR Triple 12's (2012) model. I can't wait for them to arrive from shipping.

Anyhow, I'm coming from a full 5.1 setup of PSB imagine T2 fronts, imagine c centre and imagine s surrounds. Further I'm using a seaton submersive hp as a subwoofer. Now while those speakers sounded amazing I was always looking for a little more.

I'm hoping to be in for a surprise when these arrive. Truly this forum is why I pulled the trigger on these units.

Anyhow, I was looking for more help from the boards. At this current time I will use the triple 12's as my LCR and I have a spare set of psb alphas to be used for rear surrounds.

My question is should I focus on getting a set of JTR triple 8 for surround or would adding a second submersive be better. The reason I ask is there is a local submersive for sale which I feel would be a great addition.

Thanks,

Renato
Old 02-11-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipeco3 View Post
Hey guys,

Just picked up my first used set of JTR Triple 12's (2012) model. I can't wait for them to arrive from shipping.

Anyhow, I'm coming from a full 5.1 setup of PSB imagine T2 fronts, imagine c centre and imagine s surrounds. Further I'm using a seaton submersive hp as a subwoofer. Now while those speakers sounded amazing I was always looking for a little more.

I'm hoping to be in for a surprise when these arrive. Truly this forum is why I pulled the trigger on these units.

Anyhow, I was looking for more help from the boards. At this current time I will use the triple 12's as my LCR and I have a spare set of psb alphas to be used for rear surrounds.

My question is should I focus on getting a set of JTR triple 8 for surround or would adding a second submersive be better. The reason I ask is there is a local submersive for sale which I feel would be a great addition.

Thanks,

Renato
I vote for second sub
countryWV likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 3194
My opinion is going for the second submersive

But as one who doesn't own JtR but similar HE designed speaker and coming from psb imagine speakers. You are going to be blown away. They do everything the psb's did just a litte better in every way
Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Definitely second sub!
countryWV likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:37 PM

Wow this is great such quick replies. I was indeed thinking the same thing. Second sub it is

One submersive is already pretty awesome I couldn't even imagine how 2 would sound.
countryWV and Gearpro like this.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Specifically, get the spray version of Duratex, which is just a little smoother...and you can add some water (10%) to smooth it out even more. You can spray it to get very smooth or roll it on. After it dries, you can sand it if you want it a little smoother. I agree with Beast that you will likely be able to get the finish very close with only a little experimenting...and even better, Duratex is rather forgiving.
The Sprayable Duratex is just regular duratex with 10% water. Just a FYI. If you add another 10% to the sprayable stuff it's really thin and don't cover very well although if you did good bodywork, it looks really good but isn't very durable ( vs the regular stuff, also sprayable is not as durable either, but thats to be expected since it's quite a bit thinner ). I've got both and have tried a lot of different stuff to get the best pebble free finish.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 02-11-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
My opinion is going for the second submersive

But as one who doesn't own JtR but similar HE designed speaker and coming from psb imagine speakers. You are going to be blown away. They do everything the psb's did just a litte better in every way
I hope so. Like I said extremely excited
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
The Sprayable Duratex is just regular duratex with 10% water. Just a FYI. If you add another 10% to the sprayable stuff it's really thin and don't cover very well although if you did good bodywork, it looks really good but isn't very durable ( vs the regular stuff, also sprayable is not as durable either, but thats to be expected since it's quite a bit thinner ). I've got both and have tried a lot of different stuff to get the best pebble free finish.
Thanks for the detailed info but can you share more info about your results for a pebble free finish. Come on...spill the beans.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Deep Sea Sound

@Dipeco3 - I'm sure the Submersive is an impressive sub but there are very, very few single subs that will keep up with the output capability of the Triple 12s so I also vote a second sub.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,

Renato
I would grab that sub first. Should have two subs to even things out. But just to add, the single 8's would be just fine for surround. Don't underestimate them. Sure the triple 8's would be fantastic for surrounds, but if you find a set of S8's, they would perform very well.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I would grab that sub first. Should have two subs to even things out. But just to add, the single 8's would be just fine for surround. Don't underestimate them. Sure the triple 8's would be fantastic for surrounds, but if you find a set of S8's, they would perform very well.
Hey there, not thinking the single 8's aren't good I'm aware they are a fantastic speakers it just seems like triple 8's Pop up used in the classifieds would be the same if not a cheaper alternative.

I agree so the opinion here is that my single submersive will be out powered easily by the front setup triple 12's? I will be powering the soundstage with an emotive xpa-5 and onkyo 818 as a pre.

I'm just trying to spend my remaining $2000 wisely. Second submersive it is
Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 1985
Quote:
Hey there, not thinking the single 8's aren't good I'm aware they are a fantastic speakers it just seems like triple 8's Pop up used in the classifieds would be the same if not a cheaper alternative.

I agree so the opinion here is that my single submersive will be out powered easily by the front setup triple 12's? I will be powering the soundstage with an emotive xpa-5 and onkyo 818 as a pre.

I'm just trying to spend my remaining $2000 wisely. Second submersive it is

Reaction Audio's coax CX-8's worked great as surrounds to my 228HT's while I still had them. At a $1000 a pair they're worth taking a look at.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
@Dipeco3 - I'm sure the Submersive is an impressive sub but there are very, very few single subs that will keep up with the output capability of the Triple 12s so I also vote a second sub.
I can think of one sub that might..
Old 02-11-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I can think of one sub that might..
Which is that?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Nobody Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Reaction Audio's coax CX-8's worked great as surrounds to my 228HT's while I still had them. At a $1000 a pair they're worth taking a look at.
They want a $150 upcharge each for angled cabinets to support Atmos which drove me to build better for less!
Brian Fineberg likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info but can you share more info about your results for a pebble free finish. Come on...spill the beans.
You have to spray it. I usually add 5% water to the sprayable and it goes on nice and looks great. Doesn't hide much though. If you add 10%, you can make it look pretty close to how house paint looks. It looks great but you need a ton of coats to cover.
I usually stick to 5% over sprayable and they look like the ones in the pic. In person they look a bit finer than JTR's finish (the white specs are just dust from the ceiling tiles from da bass!)

dgage likes this.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Yeah, you've definitely got some seamage there. Then again, I rolled sprayable Duratex and after 3 coats I could still see seams even using a premium 3M body filler and a thinner polyester (think that was it) filler.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They want a $150 upcharge each for angled cabinets to support Atmos which drove me to build better for less!

I guess the term "better" is just an opinion. What drivers are you using and who designed the crossovers?

It's not as if it's hard to source out coax's and build your own. But even at $650 per speaker for custom cabinets that's jot unreasonable, and still at least $400 less then a standard JTR Slant 8 so it's not that bad.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, you've definitely got some seamage there. Then again, I rolled sprayable Duratex and after 3 coats I could still see seams even using a premium 3M body filler and a thinner polyester (think that was it) filler.
Those seams have some filler in them but I don't go overboard. When I use the roller, the seams are completely covered, can't see them at all. I "could" sand down the duratex and throw on a few more coats, the seams would be completely gone but I just don't care enough to do that lol.

Plus it uses almost double the duratex when you spray it. Those boxes have about 3 medium wet coats and a gallon lasted me only 4 boxes.... where as a roller will let you do 2 G-Horns and 3 more smallish 3.4 CF'ers.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Has anyone bought a growler?

I thought someone on here was looking at on or more for midbass.

Toying with the idea of getting one for my garage/driveway. We have get togethers all summer long and thought it might add some nice punch to music. It would be the only sub in a music only system, I might be crazy also. Just was thinking there aren't many subs that you could use outside that would have that kind of output for under $1000.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Toying with the idea of getting one for my garage/driveway. We have get togethers all summer long and thought it might add some nice punch to music. It would be the only sub in a music only system, I might be crazy also. Just was thinking there aren't many subs that you could use outside that would have that kind of output for under $1000.
I was/am. Still not sure what I'm going to do, it all depends on if I move my equipment from the stand in front, to the wall where the IB is.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I was/am. Still not sure what I'm going to do, it all depends on if I move my equipment from the stand in front, to the wall where the IB is.

Haha the one guy that really doesn't need a growler wants a growler!....LOL
dgage likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

At one point, I was thinking of getting a pair. Then my mind changed to get a pair of OS pros. Now that I got the money to pull the trigger for them. I decided to save the money and save more for a down payment for a Hellcat Charger. Well since the the wifey said yes to it.. I want the Hellcat instead.. Lol..

Last edited by rhed; 02-11-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Nobody Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I guess the term "better" is just an opinion. What drivers are you using and who designed the crossovers?

It's not as if it's hard to source out coax's and build your own. But even at $650 per speaker for custom cabinets that's jot unreasonable, and still at least $400 less then a standard JTR Slant 8 so it's not that bad.

When I asked to have the cabinets modified and he wanted a $150 upcharge per and drove me to building my own. No way on this earth was I going to pay $600 for changing some angles on a cabinet design that he would end up marketing later for Atmos. I would have purchased slant 8's but I can't justify $4K for overheads.

Anyway I've gone with Ciare NDCX8-1.4 coaxial drivers and Radian 324/12 crossovers. The cabinets are Eminence designed CNC modeled in Baltic Burch, not MDF. Base on the information I read and a lengthily discussion with the supplier I have no doubt these will end up outperforming the CX-8.

Brian Fineberg, RMK! and countryWV like this.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I asked to have the cabinets modified and he wanted a $150 upcharge per and drove me to building my own. No way on this earth was I going to pay $600 for changing some angles on a cabinet design that he would end up marketing later for Atmos. I would have purchased slant 8's but I can't justify $4K for overheads.

Anyway I've gone with Ciare NDCX8-1.4 coaxial drivers and Radian 324/12 crossovers. The cabinets are Eminence designed CNC modeled in Baltic Burch, not MDF. Base on the information I read and a lengthily discussion with the supplier I have no doubt these will end up outperforming the CX-8.

That's a really nice coax, but I'd like to see some measurements first, especially considering that you're using a stock Radian crossover. If I could make a suggestion, contact Matt mtg90 and see if you can send him one of the coax's and ask him to design you a custom crossover. If you did that then I'd probably take your word for it that it might outperform a CX-8, otherwise I still think the CX-8 would be just as good if not better.

Also didn't that upcharge of a $150 per speaker also include different hardware to ceiling mount the speakers? Honestly it's not that bad of a deal, you make it out to seem as if he was ripping you off.

Last edited by jbrown15; 02-12-2015 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
At one point, I was thinking of getting a pair. Then my mind changed to get a pair of OS pros. Now that I got the money to pull the trigger for them. I decided to save the money and save more for a down payment for a Hellcat Charger. Well since the the wifey said yes to it.. I want the Hellcat instead.. Lol..
That islands going to be one heck of a NASCAR track. Have fun but be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis