Official JTR speaker thread - Page 931 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Speakers > Official JTR speaker thread

Speakers

DG_
05:50 PM Liked: 2
post #27901 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
For an open floor plan like that, your best bet is to go near field with subs. You can actually get great results that way without absurd amounts of power. Either replace the end tables with 2 subs or place one behind the couch. Either approach will give you pretty consistent sound from all seats. You can get wireless kits for subs that don't sacrifice fidelity, if it's inconvenient to run wires. Also, you may need to be careful about aesthetics, when picking subs for those locations.
I really like the end table idea. Would definitely be a route I'd seriously consider if I sell these.
The problem with having the sub behind the couch and using a wireless kit is that I still would have exposed power wires running on the floor. Not sure how I could remedy that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Wow that is wide open. As others have said if you could put it right behind the couch that would probably help.

Have you moved around the room (done the sub crawl) to find out what the bass is doing in different parts of the room? So you have a simple radio shack spl meter? The bass can be dramatically different by moving your head just a few inches as I am sure you know. But, maybe that couch location is in a huge suck out zone.

Also try moving the sub to other parts of that front wall or wherever else your wife will let you try it out. No sense selling the S2 if you will just have the same problems with another sub bc it is in a crappy location.
I have not done the sub crawl as this sucker is heavy. I don't think my recliner or the couch could support it in any case, lol. I'd assume without doing this and by just referencing the pictures I had attached, you wouldn't be able to recommend a better spot than it is currently sitting at?
I will try some other location, but as you mentioned, not all locations are a go from the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Standard bass traps aren't going to do much for 100hz and down. I was going to order a bunch for my room before I really dug in and started to research them. They'll help with upper bass but not really do anything for the lower stuff.
I have the GIK corner bass traps on order. Bummer, as I thought they might help out. Will I see any benefit from these or is it best for me to just save my money and see if I can cancel before they ship?
DG_
05:52 PM Liked: 2
post #27902 of 28060
Are there any benefits to these or similar?

http://www.uniquesquared.com/auralex...ion-riser.html
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15
06:10 PM Liked: 1394
post #27903 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 7,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_ View Post

They look cool but I don't think there's any real hard concrete proof that they do much.
dgage's Avatar dgage
06:15 PM Liked: 409
post #27904 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 2,074
Quote:

These are for people getting too much interaction with the floor...doesn't apply to your situation and so would be a waste IMO.
carp's Avatar carp
06:19 PM Liked: 726
post #27905 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 6,186
Since I recently discovered that I like all my acoustic panels EXCEPT for my primary reflection panels on the side walls it's been bugging me that on my left wall I have a built in the wall book case and on the right wall just drywall. The non-symmetry is bothering me.

How would these work in the primary reflection points on each side wall?

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...-qrd-diffusor/

For a little more you can get black, I think those look nice.
dgage's Avatar dgage
06:22 PM Liked: 409
post #27906 of 28060
Carp - why not just take the panels you have now and remove the back and remove the insulation. Then you can put the same matching panel back up but it won't absorb the primary reflections.
carp's Avatar carp
06:29 PM Liked: 726
post #27907 of 28060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Carp - why not just take the panels you have now and remove the back and remove the insulation. Then you can put the same matching panel back up but it won't absorb the primary reflections.
Interesting idea, never thought of that. So, that would obviously be a visual fix for the non-symmetrical issue but what about acoustics? Would the acoustics on the book case side behave any differently than the wall side with the panels up but no insulation in them?
dgage's Avatar dgage
06:33 PM Liked: 409
post #27908 of 28060
I thought you liked the sound without the panel on the wall? So if you're considering the diffuser, you are potentially bringing in another variable to test that you may or may not like. No insulation would be more live and reflective than the diffuser, which would be more reflective than an insulated panel. All depends on how much more testing and money you want to spend. Knowing you, you'll order the diffuser just to be sure.
carp's Avatar carp
06:36 PM Liked: 726
post #27909 of 28060
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I thought you liked the sound without the panel on the wall? So if you're considering the diffuser, you are potentially bringing in another variable to test that you may or may not like. No insulation would be more live and reflective than the diffuser, which would be more reflective than an insulated panel. All depends on how much more testing and money you want to spend. Knowing you, you'll order the diffuser just to be sure.
Haha, yeah I'm leaning that way but also thinking about these:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...scatter-plate/

Yes I do like the sound better without the first panel on each side wall. However I have to think that the soundstage/imaging is getting affected by having a bookcase on one 1st reflection and a solid wall on the other side.

I think I'll try your idea first though since it's the cheapest!!
raynist's Avatar raynist
06:51 PM Liked: 405
post #27910 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 1,764
Quote:
I really like the end table idea. Would definitely be a route I'd seriously consider if I sell these.
The problem with having the sub behind the couch and using a wireless kit is that I still would have exposed power wires running on the floor. Not sure how I could remedy that issue.

I have not done the sub crawl as this sucker is heavy. I don't think my recliner or the couch could support it in any case, lol. I'd assume without doing this and by just referencing the pictures I had attached, you wouldn't be able to recommend a better spot than it is currently sitting at?
I will try some other location, but as you mentioned, not all locations are a go from the wife.

I have the GIK corner bass traps on order. Bummer, as I thought they might help out. Will I see any benefit from these or is it best for me to just save my money and see if I can cancel before they ship?
What are the lamps next to the couch plugged in to?
jedimastergrant's Avatar jedimastergrant
07:07 PM Liked: 93
post #27911 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed08 View Post
Thank you for the response. What about at lower to moderate listening levels, do you still prefer the JTR's for music compared to the STS's? I know music is subjective, but I'm trying to nail down why so many on here have moved from whatever speakers they owned before to the JTR's, particularly for music. Clean, detailed, and dynamic seems to be popular. I'm just trying to figure out how to sell people on them when they don't have a presence on the popular audio sites and blogs and haven't really been reviewed by the 'professional' audio info sources...maybe that's not possible. Sorry if all of these questions have been asked and answered before. I should really hurry my life-plans along so I can just buy them myself and demo
As gage said you are spot on. Those qualities are what JTR owners appreciate. And it is so subjective. I can appreciate a good ribbon too and have postulated putting a pair behind my screen just for music. But then I would not be able to listen as loud.

Sitting here in my theater today because I am laid up dealing with a kidney stone. Yeah, I know it sucks big time. But, I have been listening to music most of the day and enjoying the heck out of it. Most of it from Palladia. Storytellers with Jason Mraz, The Killers Live at Royal Albert Hall, Jeff Beck Live at Bonnie Raits, lots of stuff from Later with Jools Holland like Sting, Norah Jones, Foo Fighters, etc etc etc. And most of it I am listening to -4 to +4. That is pretty loud but it does not feel harsh in the least. Just tons of fun.

The Def Tech STS's are in my living room and are not optimally placed. No treatments in the room either so it is really an unfair comparison. I am curious what they would sound like in my dedicated room with optimally placed speakers and MLP along with treatments everywhere. My guess is very good. I already enjoy them quite a bit where they are. I would say they are somewhat smoother. They sound like a silk dome tweeter which is awesome. The built in subs do an admirable job and may make his wife as happy as mine to not need an external sub since it is mostly music. If he does not want to listen at reference then they are a good option with a small footprint and they look very nice. The built in subs are a bonus for sure.

Is he married? Can he optimally place the speakers? Will they go in a living room? Is there a WAF for the look of the speakers?

Nice finishes sell speakers more than just about anything so it will be hard to convince to pull the trigger on the JTR unless he actually hears them. Ask around where you live and go audition with him.
Nabs17's Avatar Nabs17
07:07 PM Liked: 83
post #27912 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha, yeah I'm leaning that way but also thinking about these:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...scatter-plate/

Yes I do like the sound better without the first panel on each side wall. However I have to think that the soundstage/imaging is getting affected by having a bookcase on one 1st reflection and a solid wall on the other side.

I think I'll try your idea first though since it's the cheapest!!
Acoustically those two surfaces would be different. The bookcase side would provide "different" diffusion than the blank wall side depending on the depth of the cavities in your bookcase. Are you wanting to absorb, diffuse or a combination of both on each side wall, first reflection point? Or is your intent just to make both side walls look the same? The scatter plate isn't something you can purchase individually but something GIK adds to the front of their other panels. I have 10 GIK 244 panels and 4 of them have the scatter plate installed.
carp's Avatar carp
07:20 PM Liked: 726
post #27913 of 28060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Acoustically those two surfaces would be different. The bookcase side would provide "different" diffusion than the blank wall side depending on the depth of the cavities in your bookcase. Are you wanting to absorb, diffuse or a combination of both on each side wall, first reflection point? Or is your intent just to make both side walls look the same? The scatter plate isn't something you can purchase individually but something GIK adds to the front of their other panels. I have 10 GIK 244 panels and 4 of them have the scatter plate installed.
My intent is not to make the walls look the same, I just want each side to be the same acoustically and even though the JTR's are pretty directional I have a hard time believing that a built in wall book case on one 1st reflection and solid wall on the other 1st reflection would be ideal for acoustics.

Still, I prefer this for sound ^ to having the absorption panels up.

I do have reflection panels for the reflection from the opposite speaker on each wall and also ceiling panels, so I do have some absorption.

Yeah, I saw that you get the scatter plate put into a panel (242 panel in this case) and I'm wondering how that would compare to the diffusion panels.

Bottom line - is putting diffusion panels at the first reflection a no-no? If not I might just order a couple and see what I think.
carp's Avatar carp
07:22 PM Liked: 726
post #27914 of 28060
Quote:
As gage said you are spot on. Those qualities are what JTR owners appreciate. And it is so subjective. I can appreciate a good ribbon too and have postulated putting a pair behind my screen just for music. But then I would not be able to listen as loud.

Sitting here in my theater today because I am laid up dealing with a kidney stone. Yeah, I know it sucks big time. But, I have been listening to music most of the day and enjoying the heck out of it. Most of it from Palladia. Storytellers with Jason Mraz, The Killers Live at Royal Albert Hall, Jeff Beck Live at Bonnie Raits, lots of stuff from Later with Jools Holland like Sting, Norah Jones, Foo Fighters, etc etc etc. And most of it I am listening to -4 to +4. That is pretty loud but it does not feel harsh in the least. Just tons of fun.

The Def Tech STS's are in my living room and are not optimally placed. No treatments in the room either so it is really an unfair comparison. I am curious what they would sound like in my dedicated room with optimally placed speakers and MLP along with treatments everywhere. My guess is very good. I already enjoy them quite a bit where they are. I would say they are somewhat smoother. They sound like a silk dome tweeter which is awesome. The built in subs do an admirable job and may make his wife as happy as mine to not need an external sub since it is mostly music. If he does not want to listen at reference then they are a good option with a small footprint and they look very nice. The built in subs are a bonus for sure.

Is he married? Can he optimally place the speakers? Will they go in a living room? Is there a WAF for the look of the speakers?

Nice finishes sell speakers more than just about anything so it will be hard to convince to pull the trigger on the JTR unless he actually hears them. Ask around where you live and go audition with him.
Nice! Love having free time to listen to music.... I just wish it were under better circumstances!!
Nabs17's Avatar Nabs17
07:38 PM Liked: 83
post #27915 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 633
Quote:
My intent is not to make the walls look the same, I just want each side to be the same acoustically and even though the JTR's are pretty directional I have a hard time believing that a built in wall book case on one 1st reflection and solid wall on the other 1st reflection would be ideal for acoustics.

Still, I prefer this for sound ^ to having the absorption panels up.

I do have reflection panels for the reflection from the opposite speaker on each wall and also ceiling panels, so I do have some absorption.

Yeah, I saw that you get the scatter plate put into a panel (242 panel in this case) and I'm wondering how that would compare to the diffusion panels.

Bottom line - is putting diffusion panels at the first reflection a no-no? If not I might just order a couple and see what I think.
No, putting diffusion at the first reflection is not a no-no in my estimation. It depends on the room you're treating. For me, it made sense to have absorption at the first reflection points because my room is narrow (12' wide) and I wanted to absorb more energy (especially in the front) than disperse it. If your room is wider then it might make more sense to diffuse the sound. Check out forum member "audioguy" and his room and you'll see he has diffusion (GIK I believe) at his first reflection point and it works for him. It depends on your room and the characteristics it displays....my room was very lively and I wanted to tame it without making it too dead.
DG_
07:56 PM Liked: 2
post #27916 of 28060
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
What are the lamps next to the couch plugged in to?
They are plugged into nothing. This one was all wife driven for aesthetics
08:59 PM Liked: 93
post #27917 of 28060
Quote:
No, putting diffusion at the first reflection is not a no-no in my estimation. It depends on the room you're treating. For me, it made sense to have absorption at the first reflection points because my room is narrow (12' wide) and I wanted to absorb more energy (especially in the front) than disperse it. If your room is wider then it might make more sense to diffuse the sound. Check out forum member "audioguy" and his room and you'll see he has diffusion (GIK I believe) at his first reflection point and it works for him. It depends on your room and the characteristics it displays....my room was very lively and I wanted to tame it without making it too dead.
I am with nabs I was instructed to be careful not to make my first reflection points too dead. That is why I chose to splurge for the Quest PerfSorber at those points. It is a combination absorber/diffuser.

And I think it all depends on your specific room just like you said. Where are your speakers in relation to the walls and where is the MLP in relation to the speakers and wall. Dimensions of the room. Specific dispersion characteristics of your speaker. How far the toe in is for the speaker. What other treatments are in the room. Etc.

It all makes my head spin which is why I paid to have a pro do it for me. I just didn't trust myself to make a quasi educated guess.

I think it is an art and a science since it involves cold hard measurements with the basic laws of physics but also psychoacoustics and subjective preferences.
09:20 PM Liked: 93
post #27918 of 28060
Quote:
Nice! Love having free time to listen to music.... I just wish it were under better circumstances!!
Man I have been loving your old 212's this past 10 days as I have been on injured reserve.

Tons of music as I shared but also several movies.

Watched Transformers AOE the other night and the soundtrack was nothing short of bombastic. We won't talk about the dialogue. The audio and video were outstanding.

Then I watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World which I had seen before. Lots of loud music and effects in that one.

And of course some of the shows that are currently running like The Walking Dead, Black Sails, and Top Gear. I am a bit of a gear head so hearing the sound of a Mercedes AMG GT's V8 howl through the 212's is an awesome thing indeed.

One of my recents faves is a show called The Live Room. Episode 1 is Ed Sheeran. It is one heck of a recording. I blasted it and reveled in every second. I think I will play a track from that one during the KC Crazy Theater Crawl.

Right now watching The Killers Live from Royal Albert Hall. At +6 at the moment and I can't stop turning it up!!!!!!!! Just bliss............
raynist's Avatar raynist
09:55 PM Liked: 405
post #27919 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 1,764
Quote:
They are plugged into nothing. This one was all wife driven for aesthetics
That is pretty funny!
BamaDave's Avatar BamaDave
10:20 PM Liked: 43
post #27920 of 28060
02-17-2015 | Posts: 260
Quote:

I agree that absorption should be used at the 1st reflection points.

This is a good video to view to get an idea of what you should consider, of course you can get two different acousticians to agree to disagree on some points but this will open your eyes to making your space sound better regardless! A fully treated HT is high on my DIY list.

RMK!'s Avatar RMK!
08:46 AM Liked: 504
post #27921 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 6,255
Quote:
I am with nabs I was instructed to be careful not to make my first reflection points too dead. That is why I chose to splurge for the Quest PerfSorber at those points. It is a combination absorber/diffuser.

And I think it all depends on your specific room just like you said. Where are your speakers in relation to the walls and where is the MLP in relation to the speakers and wall. Dimensions of the room. Specific dispersion characteristics of your speaker. How far the toe in is for the speaker. What other treatments are in the room. Etc.

It all makes my head spin which is why I paid to have a pro do it for me. I just didn't trust myself to make a quasi educated guess.

I think it is an art and a science since it involves cold hard measurements with the basic laws of physics but also psychoacoustics and subjective preferences.
Your last paragraph sums it up pretty well. I remember Keith Yates telling me about the arduous (and expensive) design, construction and fine tuning process that goes into his often 7 figure HT projects. I'm paraphrasing but essentially he described using his custom developed software programs that use fluid dynamics algorithms to engineer the space and then a Dolby Lake processor to do the EQing. He said the final step was for Keith himself to tune the room by ear. That pretty much follows the elements in your last paragraph but it is Keiths preferences that his well-heeled clients are buying.

The subjective preferences are shaped by our direct experiences and for most of us, commercial Theaters like IMAX can be helpful in forming these impressions. For example, I went to see Jerusalem (IMAX 3D) this past weekend. The wife and I were able to sit where we wanted in the mostly empty Theater for the 11am showing and had the best view and position for sound. Forum member and friend Fugueness (Peter Chang) did much of the time lapse cinematography in this award winning documentary and as usual with IMAX, the visual experience was beyond what can be done at home. The sound was another matter and as good as it was in this "real" IMAX Theater, I prefer my HT for dialog clarity and overall dynamics including the bass. It's cool to think I did this via a "seat of the pants" deployment and by using simple tools (treatments and EQ) to get it done. This forum was very helpful in providing information that enabled me to do this on my own, and have a decent result.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
09:43 AM Liked: 641
post #27922 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 3,462
I thought this was pretty cool

Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich
11:36 AM Liked: 345
post #27923 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 2,333
Several of our JTR brothers joined me on another thread about a trade I just did for my JTR 212s and custom JTR Noesis center with another AVS member for his Yorkville U215 L/C/R. Carp posted that maybe I could share my findings on this thread as well so below is what I posted in the other thread. Perhaps when Dan does the reverse analysis, since he now has my old speakers, he can post his opinions as well.

Please note this is just my opinion....my ears...and in my room. This is not a scientific test and as most JTR brothers know and recommend, always audition things for yourself as everyone has different preferences. Also keep in mind I am still 60% JTR in my set-up with four T8 surrounds and dual S2 subs..so you guys haven't got rid of me yet

I set these up with XT32 from my AV8801. No Dirac..no mini DSP....no manual EQ. I mention this because other forum members love to tweak and that just isn't my passion or skill set.

*JTR Noesis 212 has a very sweet top end that offers great detail and resolution and on some tracks this is a big plus to me. There are some moments that top end gets edgy (for my tastes)but not very often. I always thought the 212 HT was a little "lean" sounding and could use some boosted midbass.
*The U215 has a very "full" sound with plenty of mid-bass. It does not have the same treble energy on the top end that I had grown very accustomed to over the last year with the 212.
*Both have very good imaging and I think the U215 might have a tiny lead here but not much difference overall.
*If I were a 2 channel guy, I think I might lean towards the Noesis family of speakers....especially if you like a "revealing" speaker. It just seems to get micro details out of the music that I didn't hear with the U215. The differences are very subtle but they are there.
*For HT it depends on personal preferences. The U215 is a very robust speaker that puts out a healthy amount of bass and mid-bass and is very coherent from top to bottom.
*They both offer great dialogue inteligibillity but I noticed some very small differences. I have seen "The art of flight" probably more times then anything else in my collection. I almost never watch the whole thing but have seen bits and pieces a 1000 times. Anyways, I know the dialogue parts in that movie very well and used it to judge dialogue. There were some scenes I felt the U215 did cleaner and some the 212 does cleaner. They are both excellent...but there were noticeable differences.
*Both JTR and U215 are bargains but I honestly think the U215 is a stupid good bargain at its asking price. I doesn't get the same buzz as the JTR line but for HT guys, I think it is hard to beat.
*The U215 is a big arse speaker. I thought the 212s were decent size but the U215 takes it to another level. I guess they would be very similar to the 215RM but probably still smaller then the fridge sized 215RT.
*The U215 could survive a nuclear explosion...much like the Danley's from what I remember hearing. Things are built like tanks, which is to be expected from Pro Audio speakers.

Anyways, sorry for the long drawn out comments. In the end, I could easily live with either speaker and be 100% happy. Honestly
raynist's Avatar raynist
11:57 AM Liked: 405
post #27924 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Several of our JTR brothers joined me on another thread about a trade I just did for my JTR 212s and custom JTR Noesis center with another AVS member for his Yorkville U215 L/C/R. Carp posted that maybe I could share my findings on this thread as well so below is what I posted in the other thread. Perhaps when Dan does the reverse analysis, since he now has my old speakers, he can post his opinions as well.

Please note this is just my opinion....my ears...and in my room. This is not a scientific test and as most JTR brothers know and recommend, always audition things for yourself as everyone has different preferences. Also keep in mind I am still 60% JTR in my set-up with four T8 surrounds and dual S2 subs..so you guys haven't got rid of me yet

I set these up with XT32 from my AV8801. No Dirac..no mini DSP....no manual EQ. I mention this because other forum members love to tweak and that just isn't my passion or skill set.

*JTR Noesis 212 has a very sweet top end that offers great detail and resolution and on some tracks this is a big plus to me. There are some moments that top end gets edgy (for my tastes)but not very often. I always thought the 212 HT was a little "lean" sounding and could use some boosted midbass.
*The U215 has a very "full" sound with plenty of mid-bass. It does not have the same treble energy on the top end that I had grown very accustomed to over the last year with the 212.
*Both have very good imaging and I think the U215 might have a tiny lead here but not much difference overall.
*If I were a 2 channel guy, I think I might lean towards the Noesis family of speakers....especially if you like a "revealing" speaker. It just seems to get micro details out of the music that I didn't hear with the U215. The differences are very subtle but they are there.
*For HT it depends on personal preferences. The U215 is a very robust speaker that puts out a healthy amount of bass and mid-bass and is very coherent from top to bottom.
*They both offer great dialogue inteligibillity but I noticed some very small differences. I have seen "The art of flight" probably more times then anything else in my collection. I almost never watch the whole thing but have seen bits and pieces a 1000 times. Anyways, I know the dialogue parts in that movie very well and used it to judge dialogue. There were some scenes I felt the U215 did cleaner and some the 212 does cleaner. They are both excellent...but there were noticeable differences.
*Both JTR and U215 are bargains but I honestly think the U215 is a stupid good bargain at its asking price. I doesn't get the same buzz as the JTR line but for HT guys, I think it is hard to beat.
*The U215 is a big arse speaker. I thought the 212s were decent size but the U215 takes it to another level. I guess they would be very similar to the 215RM but probably still smaller then the fridge sized 215RT.
*The U215 could survive a nuclear explosion...much like the Danley's from what I remember hearing. Things are built like tanks, which is to be expected from Pro Audio speakers.

Anyways, sorry for the long drawn out comments. In the end, I could easily live with either speaker and be 100% happy. Honestly
Thanks for the review!

I kind of figured either would make most people happy.

Interesting that the midbass is more pronounced from the U215's even with Audyssey XT32 engaged (which should make it flat no?). I wonder if the 212's could equal the midbass of the U215's if eq'd some?
rcohen's Avatar rcohen
12:13 PM Liked: 153
post #27925 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 1,566
Quote:
...JTR 212s vs Yorkville U215s...
Nice comparison!

I haven't heard the U215s, but I've heard some people complain about the narrow 60 degree dispersion. Did you find that to be a problem?

I've heard others mention the slight edginess of the 212s. In my (limited) experience, it turned out to be amplifier dependent.

With Hypex NC400 amps, they had an edge to them.

With my Parasound A51 amp, they sounded silky smooth, without sacrificing detail. The edge was totally gone.

I was surprised about this, since the NC400s sounded better than the A51 with my previous speakers (Triad Plats). (Since I know it's coming, no, this comparison wasn't blind, so caveat emptor.)
carp's Avatar carp
12:22 PM Liked: 726
post #27926 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 6,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Thanks for the review!

I kind of figured either would make most people happy.

Interesting that the midbass is more pronounced from the U215's even with Audyssey XT32 engaged (which should make it flat no?). I wonder if the 212's could equal the midbass of the U215's if eq'd some?
I'm sure they could match down to 60-70 ish hz if you EQ'd it in manually but don't the U215's extend much further? Huge advantage if you want a low crossover.
carp's Avatar carp
12:24 PM Liked: 726
post #27927 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 6,186
Quote:
Nice comparison!

I haven't heard the U215s, but I've heard some people complain about the narrow 60 degree dispersion. Did you find that to be a problem?

I've heard others mention the slight edginess of the 212s. In my (limited) experience, it turned out to be amplifier dependent.

With my Parasound A51 amp, they sounded silky smooth, without sacrificing detail. The edge was totally gone.

I was surprised about this, since the NC400s sounded better than the A51 with my previous speakers (Triad Plats). (Since I know it's coming, no, this comparison wasn't blind, so caveat emptor.)
The 212's have a 60 degree dispersion too.

I'm jealous, I didn't get a chance to hear the Yorkvilles at Gorilla's last Jan. since we ran out of time - I've always wanted to hear them.
raynist's Avatar raynist
12:49 PM Liked: 405
post #27928 of 28060
Quote:
I'm sure they could match down to 60-70 ish hz if you EQ'd it in manually but don't the U215's extend much further? Huge advantage if you want a low crossover.
+/- 3db is 45-20k for the U215
+/- 3db is 60-24k for the 212HT (old. Not sure if new is spec'd differently)

Would 15hz of extension make that big of a difference?

I think gorilla has mentioned that his extend down into the 20's in his room (room gain?)
Frohlich's Avatar Frohlich
12:50 PM Liked: 345
post #27929 of 28060
02-18-2015 | Posts: 2,333
Quote:
Nice comparison!

Small world. I am also using an A51 to drive my front 5 speakers (L/C/R/SL/SR) and an A23 to drive my two rear surrounds. So from my standpoint it was an apple to apples comparison since that variable hasn't changed.

Quote:
XT32 set the U215s to full but I manually changed them back to 40HZ. I think real world they start to drop off below 40HZ. I always set my 212s to 80 but I think they could play down to 60-70hz region before they started to drop off.

Quote:
The 212's have a 60 degree dispersion too.

I'm jealous, I didn't get a chance to hear the Yorkvilles at Gorilla's last Jan. since we ran out of time - I've always wanted to hear them.
My 212s had the metal horn which was indeed 60x40 disperson. My center was 60x60 with the wooden horn. I believe the U215s are 60x60.
raynist's Avatar raynist
12:52 PM Liked: 405
post #27930 of 28060
Quote:
Small world. I am also using an A51 to drive my front 5 speakers (L/C/R/SL/SR) and an A23 to drive my two rear surrounds. So from my standpoint it was an apple to apples comparison since that variable hasn't changed.

XT32 set the U215s to full but I manually changed them back to 40HZ. I think real world they start to drop off below 40HZ.

My 212s had the metal horn which was indeed 60x40 disperson. My center was 60x60 with the wooden horn. I believe the U215s are 60x60.
Interesting they were set to full.

What did it set the 212's to?
Tags: 215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp

Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread