Official JTR speaker thread - Page 931 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6935Likes

post #27901 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yes, this what I was thinking myself. I have heard the new Tritons sound very good and they even won a wow award over at the Shack from member Audio Raver at RMAF. Hearing a speaker at a audioshow is one thing, but bringing it to a GTG or your own home theater and giving it hell is another. Will the Triton One hold up when pushed to or above its limits? Where JTR's don't have limits IMO comparing the Triton One's to JTR's is really comparing Apples to Oranges. The Triton is a full range active speaker and would be better compared to the Cat12's. I have said numerous times that I want to hear the Tritons, I even thought about taking a ride up the road to check them out at a dealer. I think it is time once again for another blind heavy weight GTG with the Triton One's in the line up.

RMAF awards
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-coverage.html

--
Triton Ones aren't active. They just have built in subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27902 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
What kind of room?
Dedicated HT room 17' x 16' but with (2) 8' openings that lead into other rooms in the house that are in the rear and the side of the HT room.
post #27903 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I will say I listened to some Tritons a few years ago as I was building my man cave and before I stumbled on to JTR. I remember walking out of there thinking they sounded really nice on 2 channel music. They were not set-up for HT so I have no experience on how they would handle higher volumes (i.e. would they start to compress, would they hold their nice highs, would the build in subs start to show their limits, etc....).
i had spoke to Sandy gross of Golden Ear in two different occasions and indicated I liked extreme volume at times with clarity, he did not recommend the Triton two's (the top model at the time) to me but when the Triton One's came out he said have at it basically
post #27904 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Honestly Lance the thought of three OS's in an HT just makes me laugh ... in a nervous laughter sort of way.
that is funny Rob. I get a bit nervous too when we go really loud. Feels like something might break, oh yeah one of the sconces already did. BTW what are you powering those 215's with these days?
post #27905 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
i had spoke to Sandy gross of Golden Ear in two different occasions and indicated I liked extreme volume at times with clarity, he did not recommend the Triton two's (the top model at the time) to me but when the Triton One's came out he said have at it basically
I don't claim to know anything about speaker design but the whole Triton line shares common parts/drivers. So what I don't get is how would the same drivers in the Triton One not have some of the same limitation as the other speakers in the Triton line that have the same drivers (such as the Triton 2 and Triton 3..that use the same tweeter, midrange and sub drivers)?
post #27906 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I don't claim to know anything about speaker design but the whole Triton line shares common parts/drivers. So what I don't get is how would the same drivers in the Triton One not have some of the same limitation as the other speakers in the Triton line that have the same drivers (such as the Triton 2 and Triton 3..that use the same tweeter, midrange and sub drivers)?
Just throwing out a guess here but perhaps he felt the low frequency section wasn't up to "extreme volume". The mids and tweeter are very similar between the one and two.
post #27907 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Yeppers, I wondered the same however that's what the man said, I put them to the test and had no problems whatsoever.
post #27908 of 35303 Old 02-21-2015, 08:56 PM
DG_

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I was reading quick to catch up on several days of non forum usage....But did anyone else suggest that perhaps after running audyssey, you just crank the subwoofer level up a bit? Audyssey xt32 definitely neuters the bass a good bit to most people's preference, and for the most part, another 3-4dB will get you back to a happy place. Or if you are crazy, ya know, 7-8dB bump.... Also, not sure what the emp teks are good down to in room, what are your mains crossed at after the calibration? Hopefully they are set to small and somewhere around 80hz or so. This is typically a good spot to cross to a sub, especially the s2.
Yup, I have cranked up the sub levels after the calibration. On the sub amp itself, it's set at around 50% and on my AVR at +3. Speakers are all set on small with a 80hz cross.

Receiver : Denon X4000
Speakers : Emp Tek R55Ti, R56Ci, R5Bi, R55Wi
Subwoofer : JTR S2
post #27909 of 35303 Old 02-22-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked: 399
So I started trial of Tidal hifi streaming service today...from the first track I played, I was very impressed how good it sounds.

I don't have an external dac, so I was glad to find out I can simply use my iPad to AirPlay directly from the Tidal app to the marantz. The sound quality even over AirPlay is excellent. You do have to expand the player for the song playing to find the AirPlay option by sliding expand from bottom, which wasn't too obvious right off the bat.

Another positive is the playlists they have for different situations....lounging, exercise, party, etc...very convenient and useful. The interface with artwork shows up on the screen via my Marantz, with basic controls as well.

Overall, sound quality is really impressing me the most...and making me enjoy songs I wouldn't have discovered unless they sounded this good. I'm not sure if I'll keep it since I usually get CDs, but when I can turn it up to -10 and it's crystal clean thru the jayterz, it's really nice to know there won't be drop in sq track to track...damn it sounds so good....playing "Runaway" by Galantis whom I've never heard of before and this is just reminding me why I love my jayterz. The convenience and sound quality really lives up to the monthly subscription if you listen to lots of music. If I keep Tidal, I may have to setup a good quality 2 channel in the family room to fully take advantage of the benefits.

Try the app on your idevice and AirPlay it...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. No separate dac required!
post #27910 of 35303 Old 02-22-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
that is funny Rob. I get a bit nervous too when we go really loud. Feels like something might break, oh yeah one of the sconces already did. BTW what are you powering those 215's with these days?
I bought 2 Behringer iNuke NU4-6000's and one is powering the 215's and the other the Atmos ceiling speakers. They run cool and quiet and I like them.
lbrown105 likes this.

Opinions are not facts.
post #27911 of 35303 Old 02-22-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
I bought 2 Behringer iNuke NU4-6000's and one is powering the 215's and the other the Atmos ceiling speakers. They run cool and quiet and I like them.
I know we talked on the side Rob and you convinced me to save my money on an amp. I am sticking with an AVR, most likely the Denon X7200W and I will just boost the L/R 215's with my 6000DSP. Hopefully we hear something very soon with DTSX! Still planning on a 215RM for a center or possibly a custom center of some sort. No hurry, right now everything sounds good, not to mention that I have not been in my theater in a week or so, just to busy.
RMK! likes this.
post #27912 of 35303 Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
I know we talked on the side Rob and you convinced me to save my money on an amp. I am sticking with an AVR, most likely the Denon X7200W and I will just boost the L/R 215's with my 6000DSP. Hopefully we hear something very soon with DTSX! Still planning on a 215RM for a center or possibly a custom center of some sort. No hurry, right now everything sounds good, not to mention that I have not been in my theater in a week or so, just to busy.
I'm really tempted to upgrade my Avr too. But I wonder if there will be a ATMOS and DTSX together in a avr or pre. Hopefully something by next year. As of right now I'm still good running the inuke 12000 DSP and 6000 dsp with my old Pioneer avr.
post #27913 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Finally pulled the trigger on the Sony 500ES 4K projector today...

Recliners will arrive on Saturday...

Excited...

BTW: The carpets I got are awesome... i love walking about in them.. so lush... 10 mm of underlay and 10 mm thick carpet...
Frohlich, RMK!, countryWV and 1 others like this.
post #27914 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I bought the first NU4-6000 it was an experiment to see if I liked it running the 215's. I needed it for the 4 ceiling speakers anyway so I gave it a try. Honestly, I did not notice a difference between it and the LG at up to +5 ref. I'm pretty much done with really loud anyway and at a small fraction of the cost, it was a no-brainer decision.

Re the SSP/AVR decision, I'm liking the Auromatic and DSU up-mixing quite a bit and using those is not dependent upon any particular mix being present on the source material. Atmos works now as will Auro 3D and if DTS-X comes along and provides a noticeable improvement I will go in that direction.

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 02-23-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #27915 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Bad News..

4K Blu Ray won't be supporting 3D... what a shame... there goes my hopes for 4K 3D...
post #27916 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I'm really tempted to upgrade my Avr too. But I wonder if there will be a ATMOS and DTSX together in a avr or pre. Hopefully something by next year. As of right now I'm still good running the inuke 12000 DSP and 6000 dsp with my old Pioneer avr.
Next year? Try this summer Now whether there is material by then, who knows, but units will have the DTSX codec pretty soon.
post #27917 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 2360
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Bad News..

4K Blu Ray won't be supporting 3D... what a shame... there goes my hopes for 4K 3D...
Not surprised by this one iota. That would be essentially doubling the information of 4k, which is already stressing the capabilities of information transfer and decoding.
post #27918 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
When I bought the first NU4-6000 it was an experiment to see if I liked it running the 215's. I needed it for the 4 ceiling speakers anyway so I gave it a try. Honestly, I did not notice a difference between it and the LG at up to +5 ref. I'm pretty much done with really loud anyway and at a small fraction of the cost, it was a no-brainer decision.

Re the SSP/AVR decision, I'm liking the Auromatic and DSU up-mixing quite a bit and using those is not dependent upon any particular mix being present on the source material. Atmos works now as will Auro 3D and if DTS-X comes along and provides a noticeable improvement I will go in that direction.
Ahhhh.... I wish you would have compared the two as far as how far they can push the 215's before clipping.

In my room I could get to the following levels at the main LP with the inuke 6000:

Movies: +4 on bass heavy scenes with the 215's ran as large
Music: :+9 on most music tracks, once again 215's set to large

I'm like you as far as not going to crazy volumes anymore, I haven't been above reference since that comparison last summer.

So really I'm just curious if the inuke 6000 can push the 215's as far as they can go or if there is anymore juice to be squeezed out of them. I definitely don't need the extra headroom in fact I'm still rocking the inuke 3000.

I should also say that I went above +4 and +9 on movies and music by a few db's and still didn't hear any bad noises but I didn't want to hurt anything and the amp light was solid red so I backed off real quick.
post #27919 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Not surprised by this one iota. That would be essentially doubling the information of 4k, which is already stressing the capabilities of information transfer and decoding.
I am not sure that's the reason they didn't include a 3D format.

They are including 4:4:4 color space, HDR, etc and no display today can accommodate all of those at once... This is going to be the format for the next decade or so, and I am sure the hardware will catch up to it soon. No reason not to include it onto the 'format' itself.

If I had to guess I would say that the people making the decisions may have thought that no one cares about 3d on tvs... but i think if this is what they thought, they may be mistaken in moving forward because the reason why no one cares in my opinion is that the TVs in the recent past are too small (below 60 inch), refresh rates aren't very good, colors are not great, all of which makes 3D viewing at home not suitable. However, in moving forward, TVs are getting bigger, picture quality are increasing and I think with TVs above 70 inch, 4K, quantum dots, etc, 3D would not only be watchable, but a pleasure to watch.

Anyways, I am disappointed. I love 3D, and now, even with a projector capable of dispalying 3D in 4K, i won't have any real 4K 3D content to play ever...
post #27920 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ahhhh.... I wish you would have compared the two as far as how far they can push the 215's before clipping.

In my room I could get to the following levels at the main LP with the inuke 6000:

Movies: +4 on bass heavy scenes with the 215's ran as large
Music: :+9 on most music tracks, once again 215's set to large

I'm like you as far as not going to crazy volumes anymore, I haven't been above reference since that comparison last summer.

So really I'm just curious if the inuke 6000 can push the 215's as far as they can go or if there is anymore juice to be squeezed out of them. I definitely don't need the extra headroom in fact I'm still rocking the inuke 3000.

I should also say that I went above +4 and +9 on movies and music by a few db's and still didn't hear any bad noises but I didn't want to hurt anything and the amp light was solid red so I backed off real quick.
Yeah I guess I should have but I wasn't looking for that level of performance. I'm happy at -10 or so for movies with an occasional trip to -5 as the content and company dictates. I watched the entire Police Certifiable Bluray @-15 and that was perfectly loud. If I was a metal head like you, I would almost certainly need more HP.

Opinions are not facts.
post #27921 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Actually, the Triton 1 has 5.25" midranges, instead of the 4.5" ones used by the 2 & 3.

It would definitely be interesting to hear a comparison, particularly combined with a proper sub setup, using the Triton 1's subs for mid bass.
post #27922 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Yeah I guess I should have but I wasn't looking for that level of performance. I'm happy at -10 or so for movies with an occasional trip to -5 as the content and company dictates. I watched the entire Police Certifiable Bluray @-15 and that was perfectly loud. If I was a metal head like you, I would almost certainly need more HP.
No, no, I'm pretty much done with crazy volume levels myself. Like I said, I haven't even felt the urge to move up from the inuke 3000.

Still, with our KC HT demo crawl coming up I'm curious what is possible.
post #27923 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
No, no, I'm pretty much done with crazy volume levels myself.
So now you'll give the remote to someone else?
carp likes this.
post #27924 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, no, I'm pretty much done with crazy volume levels myself. Like I said, I haven't even felt the urge to move up from the inuke 3000.

Still, with our KC HT demo crawl coming up I'm curious what is possible.
From the speakers perspective, pretty much anything goes ... but run full range the 215's woofers will be the first to give. That is well beyond reasonable levels IMHO

Opinions are not facts.
post #27925 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just do not listen to the loud level I use to so the AVR route for me has been great. Any of these flagship AVR's have great amps built in and can pretty much handle 7 speakers well above reference, especially with the efficiency of the JTR's. I ran my JTR 5.2 set up with my Denon 4520 and I just never felt the need for an external amp. I was crossed 80hz with the 212HT's running the powered Triax's with them and there was PLENTY of sound, the Denon never quit, even well over reference. At this point in time, I just do not see the need for seperates and spending all kinds of money on amps when I feel I can get the same results with the X7200 and a single Inuke. The only sad thing is the X7200 has a heafty price tag right now
post #27926 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on the Sony 500ES 4K projector today...

Recliners will arrive on Saturday...

Excited...

BTW: The carpets I got are awesome... i love walking about in them.. so lush... 10 mm of underlay and 10 mm thick carpet...
GTG in Indonesia!! The JTR forum with be over in a few weeks I will be bringing some diving gear. Indonesia is in my top 5 destinations. I still have not seen one of these little guys yet !! Good chance of seeing one out your way. So cool.

Another cool vid
uscmatt99 and coolgeek like this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 02-23-2015 at 12:47 PM.
post #27927 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Hey guys. I'm the Dan that @Frohlich traded his JTR speakers for the U215s.

I haven't had more than 10-15 minutes listening to the JTRs so I can't really comment about them yet. First impression so far is that midrange and upper frequencies have more clarity with the JTRs over the U215s. But it is really too early to make too many statements on them.

As for the U215s. They are monsters. They dig down to about 30-40hz in my room. When I ran them I crossed them between 60 and 80. I have (6) sealed SI 18" subs and I enjoyed the U215s crossed at 80 for the most part. That probably has to do more with my subs than the U215s.

I also ran the U215s active biamp and I used a Minidsp DDRC-88A for Dirac room calibration. Both of these brought improvements to the speakers and my room. Believe it or not I really enjoyed raising the crossover between the mid/hi and woofers closer to 500hz than the default 300hz. The horn doesn't have that much pattern control down there so you don't really lose much, but IMO it made the U215s sound and feel like a much larger speaker. My room had some suck-out (or something) between 200-400 that required EQ to get flat with the U215. By raising the crossover most of that went away and much less EQ was required in that region.

Oh and I always ran the U215s with the grills off. I never measured before and after, but that grill has to affect the sound coming out of them.
Hi @dwaleke ,

Anything different/new to report after a few more days with the 212's?

Any regrets?

Thanks
Ray
post #27928 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just do not listen to the loud level I use to so the AVR route for me has been great. Any of these flagship AVR's have great amps built in and can pretty much handle 7 speakers well above reference, especially with the efficiency of the JTR's. I ran my JTR 5.2 set up with my Denon 4520 and I just never felt the need for an external amp. I was crossed 80hz with the 212HT's running the powered Triax's with them and there was PLENTY of sound, the Denon never quit, even well over reference. At this point in time, I just do not see the need for seperates and spending all kinds of money on amps when I feel I can get the same results with the X7200 and a single Inuke. The only sad thing is the X7200 has a heafty price tag right now
Yeah, I'm only in the Marantz which was nicely discounted from MSLP and the 4 channel amp which was $350. Of Course that was X 2 to do 8 channels but still ...

Opinions are not facts.
post #27929 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Hi @dwaleke ,

Anything different/new to report after a few more days with the 212's?

Any regrets?
Not much really. I am changing out a bunch of electronics. I got bit by modern room correction (Dirac) and now I'm focused on looking at all options before committing to one. I have a week left on my XMC-1 trial. I am building a Jriver HTPC and added a 24 channel Motu 24AO DAC to my setup. All that for less money than the XMC-1. Going to be comparing Dirac to Audiolense.

I listened to some music and watched a movie Saturday night. No room EQ though. I like the mids and highs from the JTRs. It's a nice step up from the U215s. However without everything set up it's hard to compare fully. The U215s presented a huge sound stage with lots of midbass. Not quite the same with the 212s. I need to EQ though. So we'll see.

Sorry I don't have a better update for everyone. I should know more this weekend.
post #27930 of 35303 Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Not much really. I am changing out a bunch of electronics. I got bit by modern room correction (Dirac) and now I'm focused on looking at all options before committing to one. I have a week left on my XMC-1 trial. I am building a Jriver HTPC and added a 24 channel Motu 24AO DAC to my setup. All that for less money than the XMC-1. Going to be comparing Dirac to Audiolense.

I listened to some music and watched a movie Saturday night. No room EQ though. I like the mids and highs from the JTRs. It's a nice step up from the U215s. However without everything set up it's hard to compare fully. The U215s presented a huge sound stage with lots of midbass. Not quite the same with the 212s. I need to EQ though. So we'll see.

Sorry I don't have a better update for everyone. I should know more this weekend.
Thanks for the update.

If you EQ the 212HT's and get it to the point you think it matches the midbass of the U215's please post the settings you used.

Thanks.

JTR (3 215 RT, 3 212HTR, 2 228HT, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's)
DIY Sound Group (4 Volt 8's in Slanted boxes, 3 Volt 8's in Ported boxes)
SVS (2 SB13+ and one SB12-NSD)
Klipsch (All for sale! 2 pair Cornwalls, 3 pair Forte's 1 pair Heresy's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page