Official JTR speaker thread - Page 934 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh65@verizon.ne View Post
I bought the Triton One's along with a Supercenter XL and Triton Seven surrounds at Christmas time, I have them right next to a pair of LS9 line source speakers that I own and I have demoed the 212HT's, so far, overall I like the Triton One's better than my LS9's and going by memory better than the 212HT's. They ALL sound phenomenal however so either way you go I believe you would be extremely happy. I haven't had the LS9's hooked up for 1-1/2 months but eventually i will place them again right next to the T1's for another more in depth comparison. I can say they sound REALLY great with everything I have played through them and they are not finicky for room placement, the soundstage is HUGE and the highs are REALLY nice, totally non-fatiguing. I own a JTR OS subwoofer but for most listening I don't even have the OS on and don't really miss it at all so the bass with the built in subs was one of the biggest surprises for me as I wasn't expecting that much bass from them. Recently I have added the OS back in and everyting is playing through an Emotiva XPR-5 amp, new Marantz AV7702 and a Oppo BDP-103D as my main source. I don't think I have ever been happier with any other pair of speakers I have ever owned and I have had some pretty nice speakers over the years. I can tell you also that the Triton Ones will CRANK and play very cleanly doing so. i listen mostly in multi-channel however they soundstage so incredible that i am enjoying listening in stereo all over again!
I will say I listened to some Tritons a few years ago as I was building my man cave and before I stumbled on to JTR. I remember walking out of there thinking they sounded really nice on 2 channel music. They were not set-up for HT so I have no experience on how they would handle higher volumes (i.e. would they start to compress, would they hold their nice highs, would the build in subs start to show their limits, etc....).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Do you guys think it's ok to take the feet off of the 215's? I'm on carpet and it would be so much easier to slide the 215's when I need to move them if I didn't have the feet on them.

I remember Mark saying not to do this with the Submersive, but that makes sense because it's a sealed sub. Since the 215's are ported I'm guessing this is ok?
Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hopping on the everyone is selling JTR's bandwagon, I've got a pair of Slanted 8's in the classifieds.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Do you guys think it's ok to take the feet off of the 215's? I'm on carpet and it would be so much easier to slide the 215's when I need to move them if I didn't have the feet on them.

I remember Mark saying not to do this with the Submersive, but that makes sense because it's a sealed sub. Since the 215's are ported I'm guessing this is ok?
FEET!!!, you got feet?

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Old 02-21-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
FEET!!!, you got feet?
You didn't? Well, I don't anymore!

Ugh, these suck to move even if just going from horizontal to vertical.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:50 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
You didn't? Well, I don't anymore!

Ugh, these suck to move even if just going from horizontal to vertical.
I'm gonna make this into a big deal like the Pendragon grill controversy. Where is that chew guy when you need him.
Nabs17 likes this.

HToM

Old 02-21-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I never got feet on my 215's either! lol They would be impossible to move around on my carpet with feet, i can see why carp wants them off!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:

Mine have rubber feet also. I just went to Wal Mart and bought a case of sliders. I put them under my chairs to move them back and forth and when I need to move the 215's I put them under the feet, but I don't leave them there like the chairs. I move everything with them.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I did the same thing, I have some huge furniture sliders and I put 4 under each speaker. Slides and moves real easy now. I used the sliders when I first bought the speakers to experiment with speaker placement but I still had the feet on so you could see the sliders under the speakers and it looked ugly. Now that the feet are gone you can't see the sliders so it's a win win.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I will say I listened to some Tritons a few years ago as I was building my man cave and before I stumbled on to JTR. I remember walking out of there thinking they sounded really nice on 2 channel music. They were not set-up for HT so I have no experience on how they would handle higher volumes (i.e. would they start to compress, would they hold their nice highs, would the build in subs start to show their limits, etc....).
Yes, this what I was thinking myself. I have heard the new Tritons sound very good and they even won a wow award over at the Shack from member Audio Raver at RMAF. Hearing a speaker at a audioshow is one thing, but bringing it to a GTG or your own home theater and giving it hell is another. Will the Triton One hold up when pushed to or above its limits? Where JTR's don't have limits IMO comparing the Triton One's to JTR's is really comparing Apples to Oranges. The Triton is a full range active speaker and would be better compared to the Cat12's. I have said numerous times that I want to hear the Tritons, I even thought about taking a ride up the road to check them out at a dealer. I think it is time once again for another blind heavy weight GTG with the Triton One's in the line up.

RMAF awards
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-coverage.html

--
rcohen likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 02-21-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 161
one of my OS's came with rubber feet, had to remove them for the same reason. Now I don't move them but when I first set them up I must have tried about 20 different sub placement combinations for the 3 of them. No way I could have done that with the feet on and they weigh less that the 215!

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 02-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
one of my OS's came with rubber feet, had to remove them for the same reason. Now I don't move them but when I first set them up I must have tried about 20 different sub placement combinations for the 3 of them. No way I could have done that with the feet on and they weigh less that the 215!
Honestly Lance the thought of three OS's in an HT just makes me laugh ... in a nervous laughter sort of way.

HToM

Old 02-21-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Where are you guys getting the sliders from? I'd really like move my subs around too..
Old 02-21-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I got mine from Ace Hardware, they are huge. Here is one:

Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey everyone,

Just hooked up the new to me JTR triple 12 as LCR. Incredible sounding, clear up to extremely loud levels. I have them paired with a single submersive subwoofer in a L shape room.

I love the sound of the new JTR's but I feel they are missing the mid bass compared to my previous PSB Imagine T2. I understand the sub is now doing the majority of the work. I was curious if adding another sub would help in that scenario. The one submersive hp digs the low bass notes easily but it is lacking in the Midrange, at least that's what my ears are telling me.

I'm using an onkyo 818 receiver which has xt32 but no sub-eq and that scares me. Just looking for some recommendations. I've calibrated audyssey and set my speakers to 80hz all around and crossover for sub at 120hz.

Currently using the one submersive as a stand and was hoping to pick up another submersive and use it as a stand for the other speaker. I have no room at the back of my theatre and none on the sides as they are open. So the sub would have to go under the left speaker. Not sure if it will be optimal placement which is why sub-eq would help but I don't have it.

Should I grab a second sub? And if I do how do I calibrate them to integrate well without sub-eq?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Tha Hz Curve

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I think I need to send you back the official Audyssey mic stand that came with the 7702, which is made of special acoustic deadening cardboard and treated with a special deadening paint to reduce all possible vibrations for the entire frequency range...and calibrated and tested for 100 hours...and painstakingly measured and cut with lasers for precise height placement. It's really 50% of the cost of the AVR, but understandably so since it is simply just an amazing device.

Such a work of art:
The good ole audyssey rocket. I hope that doesn't hurt the resale value of my 7702 by not having that fine piece.

Quote:
I bought the Triton One's along with a Supercenter XL and Triton Seven surrounds at Christmas time, I have them right next to a pair of LS9 line source speakers that I own and I have demoed the 212HT's, so far, overall I like the Triton One's better than my LS9's and going by memory better than the 212HT's. They ALL sound phenomenal however so either way you go I believe you would be extremely happy. I haven't had the LS9's hooked up for 1-1/2 months but eventually i will place them again right next to the T1's for another more in depth comparison. I can say they sound REALLY great with everything I have played through them and they are not finicky for room placement, the soundstage is HUGE and the highs are REALLY nice, totally non-fatiguing. I own a JTR OS subwoofer but for most listening I don't even have the OS on and don't really miss it at all so the bass with the built in subs was one of the biggest surprises for me as I wasn't expecting that much bass from them. Recently I have added the OS back in and everyting is playing through an Emotiva XPR-5 amp, new Marantz AV7702 and a Oppo BDP-103D as my main source. I don't think I have ever been happier with any other pair of speakers I have ever owned and I have had some pretty nice speakers over the years. I can tell you also that the Triton Ones will CRANK and play very cleanly doing so. i listen mostly in multi-channel however they soundstage so incredible that i am enjoying listening in stereo all over again!
Do you feel the Triton one's low end trumps the LS-9's? That would be quite a feat since the LS's f3 point is right at 20hz or so. My ls-6's put out a ridiculously impressive amount of bass, and it is still quite articulate....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Nice! Thanks..
Old 02-21-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Nice! Thanks..
I saw some at Home Depot for under $8 for an 8 pack of large 5" diameter round ones, in case if HD is more convenient.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Old 02-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Nobody Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Today was a reminder of how I hate to paint! Regardless the texture is not quite a match but once dried the color is, besides who will notice mounded on the ceiling. Hopefully tomorrow I be checking them out.

dgage and countryWV like this.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

This is such a better idea than my original...which was to get a dolly to move my 215's.

Nabs17
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Yes, this what I was thinking myself. I have heard the new Tritons sound very good and they even won a wow award over at the Shack from member Audio Raver at RMAF. Hearing a speaker at a audioshow is one thing, but bringing it to a GTG or your own home theater and giving it hell is another. Will the Triton One hold up when pushed to or above its limits? Where JTR's don't have limits IMO comparing the Triton One's to JTR's is really comparing Apples to Oranges. The Triton is a full range active speaker and would be better compared to the Cat12's. I have said numerous times that I want to hear the Tritons, I even thought about taking a ride up the road to check them out at a dealer. I think it is time once again for another blind heavy weight GTG with the Triton One's in the line up.

RMAF awards
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-coverage.html

--
Triton Ones aren't active. They just have built in subs.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
What kind of room?
Dedicated HT room 17' x 16' but with (2) 8' openings that lead into other rooms in the house that are in the rear and the side of the HT room.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
i had spoke to Sandy gross of Golden Ear in two different occasions and indicated I liked extreme volume at times with clarity, he did not recommend the Triton two's (the top model at the time) to me but when the Triton One's came out he said have at it basically
Old 02-21-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Honestly Lance the thought of three OS's in an HT just makes me laugh ... in a nervous laughter sort of way.
that is funny Rob. I get a bit nervous too when we go really loud. Feels like something might break, oh yeah one of the sconces already did. BTW what are you powering those 215's with these days?

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
Old 02-21-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
i had spoke to Sandy gross of Golden Ear in two different occasions and indicated I liked extreme volume at times with clarity, he did not recommend the Triton two's (the top model at the time) to me but when the Triton One's came out he said have at it basically
I don't claim to know anything about speaker design but the whole Triton line shares common parts/drivers. So what I don't get is how would the same drivers in the Triton One not have some of the same limitation as the other speakers in the Triton line that have the same drivers (such as the Triton 2 and Triton 3..that use the same tweeter, midrange and sub drivers)?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I don't claim to know anything about speaker design but the whole Triton line shares common parts/drivers. So what I don't get is how would the same drivers in the Triton One not have some of the same limitation as the other speakers in the Triton line that have the same drivers (such as the Triton 2 and Triton 3..that use the same tweeter, midrange and sub drivers)?
Just throwing out a guess here but perhaps he felt the low frequency section wasn't up to "extreme volume". The mids and tweeter are very similar between the one and two.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Yeppers, I wondered the same however that's what the man said, I put them to the test and had no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:56 PM
DG_

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I was reading quick to catch up on several days of non forum usage....But did anyone else suggest that perhaps after running audyssey, you just crank the subwoofer level up a bit? Audyssey xt32 definitely neuters the bass a good bit to most people's preference, and for the most part, another 3-4dB will get you back to a happy place. Or if you are crazy, ya know, 7-8dB bump.... Also, not sure what the emp teks are good down to in room, what are your mains crossed at after the calibration? Hopefully they are set to small and somewhere around 80hz or so. This is typically a good spot to cross to a sub, especially the s2.
Yup, I have cranked up the sub levels after the calibration. On the sub amp itself, it's set at around 50% and on my AVR at +3. Speakers are all set on small with a 80hz cross.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 207
So I started trial of Tidal hifi streaming service today...from the first track I played, I was very impressed how good it sounds.

I don't have an external dac, so I was glad to find out I can simply use my iPad to AirPlay directly from the Tidal app to the marantz. The sound quality even over AirPlay is excellent. You do have to expand the player for the song playing to find the AirPlay option by sliding expand from bottom, which wasn't too obvious right off the bat.

Another positive is the playlists they have for different situations....lounging, exercise, party, etc...very convenient and useful. The interface with artwork shows up on the screen via my Marantz, with basic controls as well.

Overall, sound quality is really impressing me the most...and making me enjoy songs I wouldn't have discovered unless they sounded this good. I'm not sure if I'll keep it since I usually get CDs, but when I can turn it up to -10 and it's crystal clean thru the jayterz, it's really nice to know there won't be drop in sq track to track...damn it sounds so good....playing "Runaway" by Galantis whom I've never heard of before and this is just reminding me why I love my jayterz. The convenience and sound quality really lives up to the monthly subscription if you listen to lots of music. If I keep Tidal, I may have to setup a good quality 2 channel in the family room to fully take advantage of the benefits.

Try the app on your idevice and AirPlay it...I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. No separate dac required!

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
Old 02-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
that is funny Rob. I get a bit nervous too when we go really loud. Feels like something might break, oh yeah one of the sconces already did. BTW what are you powering those 215's with these days?
I bought 2 Behringer iNuke NU4-6000's and one is powering the 215's and the other the Atmos ceiling speakers. They run cool and quiet and I like them.
lbrown105 likes this.

HToM

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com