Official JTR speaker thread - Page 938 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #28111 of 28130 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Man coolgeek that is a nice room.
Thanks... took a long time but I think it's worth the wait...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28112 of 28130 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Initial Photos with the new Sony 500ES 4K projector. The screen is literally wall to wall, curved,... giving me an Imax feel.
Wow, that room is spectacular! Really nicely done!

Who designed it?

With the curved screen, are you using an A-lens?

Does the distortion bother you vs. a flat screen?

Do you think it will be okay from the side seats?

Flat vs curved is one of the decisions I've been struggling with.
post #28113 of 28130 Old Today, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Somebody please buy this before I do...it's already $200 off the regular price: FS: AudioQuest Diamond USB 0.75m Cable
You might find that you end up wanting one for audio and another one for your inkjet:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2416KA...41966&store=pc
post #28114 of 28130 Old Today, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Wow, that room is spectacular! Really nicely done!
TQ... appreciate the sentiments. I love these old fashioned theater design. Reminds me of the hay day of movies back in the black and white days...

Quote:
Who designed it?
I really liked what dlbeck did with his theater, TheSavoy, and basically used it as a starting template. And then it's just about my own tastes in terms of what sort of wood, colors, carpeting, design,.. etc..

Of course, I had to take into consideration all the Acoustics I am going to need. They are all basically hidden in the design (behind acoustically transparent cloth, or behind wood, etc). Speakers are also hidden and not easily seen.

Quote:
With the curved screen, are you using an A-lens?
I am using the Sony 500ES 4K projector. It has lens memory, so an A-Lens is not necessary. Also, I am using the curve screen from SeymourAV (with the XD material), and since it's a 16:9 screen, the curve is gentle and I did not notice anything wrong with it. You just need to zoom in a bit into the 'black velvets'.

I too initially had a lot of questions regarding using a curve 16:9 screen to give me an Imax feel, and now that i have installed it, i must say it's great! Definitely more immersive for me. I can also sit very close, less than 10 feet from a 10 feet wide screen with the Sony 4K projector and it's great!!!

Quote:
Does the distortion bother you vs. a flat screen?
There isn't any distortion at all that i can notice. Probably due to the gentle curve.

Quote:
Do you think it will be okay from the side seats?
My screen is basically wall to wall.. and yes, from any side it's just as great.

Quote:
Flat vs curved is one of the decisions I've been struggling with.
I won't go back to flat after the curve i have.. BTW: mine is 10 feet wide and 16:9 so I can's speak for other ratios and bigger or curvier screens.
rcohen and laeriq like this.
post #28115 of 28130 Old Today, 08:38 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 508
The room looks fantastic. Nice choices on everything. When do the seats arrive?

Quote:
TQ... appreciate the sentiments. I love these old fashioned theater design. Reminds me of the hay day of movies back in the black and white days...

I really liked what dlbeck did with his theater, TheSavoy, and basically used it as a starting template. And then it's just about my own tastes in terms of what sort of wood, colors, carpeting, design,.. etc..

Of course, I had to take into consideration all the Acoustics I am going to need. They are all basically hidden in the design (behind acoustically transparent cloth, or behind wood, etc). Speakers are also hidden and not easily seen.

I am using the Sony 500ES 4K projector. It has lens memory, so an A-Lens is not necessary. Also, I am using the curve screen from SeymourAV (with the XD material), and since it's a 16:9 screen, the curve is gentle and I did not notice anything wrong with it. You just need to zoom in a bit into the 'black velvets'.

I too initially had a lot of questions regarding using a curve 16:9 screen to give me an Imax feel, and now that i have installed it, i must say it's great! Definitely more immersive for me. I can also sit very close, less than 10 feet from a 10 feet wide screen with the Sony 4K projector and it's great!!!

There isn't any distortion at all that i can notice. Probably due to the gentle curve.

My screen is basically wall to wall.. and yes, from any side it's just as great.

I won't go back to flat after the curve i have.. BTW: mine is 10 feet wide and 16:9 so I can's speak for other ratios and bigger or curvier screens.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #28116 of 28130 Old Today, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
The room looks fantastic. Nice choices on everything. When do the seats arrive?
Thanks RMK!!

If everything goes according to plan, the seats should arrive by tomorrow. The truck driver already called me today to make an appointment.

I have also hired another truck to help me get my speakers to the new house. (he's only bringing 2 men, which i fear is not enough to lug my OS down the stairs so i'll have to get another guy, prob one of those still working at my new house to help out).

Today, we put up the screen, but starting tomorrow, the carpentry work continues around the screen area (which is currently left alone as the screen needs to fit in nicely).

I made the screen into a 'door' with hinges so it's easy for me to access the back. The seymour screens are really robust and I am glad this worked.
post #28117 of 28130 Old Today, 09:30 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Thanks RMK!!

If everything goes according to plan, the seats should arrive by tomorrow. The truck driver already called me today to make an appointment.

I have also hired another truck to help me get my speakers to the new house. (he's only bringing 2 men, which i fear is not enough to lug my OS down the stairs so i'll have to get another guy, prob one of those still working at my new house to help out).

Today, we put up the screen, but starting tomorrow, the carpentry work continues around the screen area (which is currently left alone as the screen needs to fit in nicely).

I made the screen into a 'door' with hinges so it's easy for me to access the back. The seymour screens are really robust and I am glad this worked.
Very cool Mr. Coolgeek. You are now the happy and rightfully proud owner of one of Malaysia's finest Home Theaters.

Again, congrats!
coolgeek likes this.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #28118 of 28130 Old Today, 09:32 AM
Tha Hz Curve

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
I'd like some great sounding 2 channel recommendations from you guys...criteria:
-floorstanding
-unique creative design
-used

I'd pick up some used 802d, but I'd like to spend less for now. I plan to use some bookshelf to hold me over until the hunt ends...unless those satisfy my needs.
Dude, Phil 3's.....or those Salks. IF I sell the ls-6's, it will be one of those two that takes their place upstairs for my living room setup.

Quote:
You're not alone...I starting thinking 'near field'...sick in the head man.
Nearfield changes people, perceptions, and all experiences.....

Quote:
I've been listening to Tidal every night for the past four days now...for 3-4 hours at a time. The convenience of having access to millions of lossless tracks has just been addicting. Right now playing Dave Brubeck's "Take Five"...I've got a huge stage of beautiful sound that's just enveloping. Some of you may remember the jazz/drum tracks on the gtg playlist...Tidal has a 'Whiplash' movie inspired playlist that has some great drum tracks to run your setup thru it that's very similar to the gtg favs many of us loved...The live dynamic detailed sound from the jayterz makes me wish I could place a pair of full range jayterz in the family room if they were less 'pretty'...Btw, anyone remember what the title of those gtg drum tracks were?

The only negative I've experienced up to now is the occasional drop out when I first start playing tracks...could just be my router....And the app doesn't always respond to commands immediately. Even with these two issues, there is hardly any artist I couldn't find. Still highly recommend trying the trial
I am not using tidal, but Deezer which is essentially the same thing, pretty cool stuff for sure either way. The main track from the g2g is the "drum and bass demo" from nils lofgren.

Glad you are still loving the slight room change. I will be accepting photos of room-related layout questions via PM or email address. My fee is slightly (much) less than other competing room designers.
asoofi1 likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28119 of 28130 Old Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Man coolgeek that is a nice room.
+1
post #28120 of 28130 Old Today, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Coolgeek.. That is a nice theater. Graphics on the projector looks stunning too..
post #28121 of 28130 Old Today, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_ View Post
Yup, I have cranked up the sub levels after the calibration. On the sub amp itself, it's set at around 50% and on my AVR at +3. Speakers are all set on small with a 80hz cross.
I am shocked at what I have been reading on this subject! The S2 is easily the best ID or non DIY sub that I have ever heard! The output was still filling your room nicely and shaking things. Are you just not happy that you are not experiencing ULF? The S2 has as much output as the cap 2400 above tune and twice below from what everybody has told me on this thread when I was in the market for a JTR sub.

BTW, what did your wife say when she finally discovered the sub?
post #28122 of 28130 Unread Today, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
If you check out the authorized SVS dealers, you will find a listing for Creative Energy in Draper, UT. It is owned by Brit Server who is a friend of Jeff with JTR. I had dinner with Brit and Jeff at RMAF. Brit does custom theater installations in the Salt Lake City area and I believe has some clients with JTR stuff. He could probably set you up with a JTR demo.
I contacted Brit today and he is going to give us (my brother and dad), a demo next week hopefully, thank you again for the help with this. Sadly he doesn't have any 212's, but he does have either the Triple 8 or 12's (can't recall now for some reason), and...the Orbit Shifter; the dramatic pause indicated by the ellipses is indicative of my excitement level about hearing the fabled beast I really wish I could hear those 212's as my brother is mainly focused on music, but what can ya do. Can anyone speak to how close the triple 8's or 12's come to the 212's in terms of musicality, or whatever fancy audio speak is necessary to describe the differences?
post #28123 of 28130 Unread Today, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed08 View Post
I contacted Brit today and he is going to give us (my brother and dad), a demo next week hopefully, thank you again for the help with this. Sadly he doesn't have any 212's, but he does have either the Triple 8 or 12's (can't recall now for some reason), and...the Orbit Shifter; the dramatic pause indicated by the ellipses is indicative of my excitement level about hearing the fabled beast I really wish I could hear those 212's as my brother is mainly focused on music, but what can ya do. Can anyone speak to how close the triple 8's or 12's come to the 212's in terms of musicality, or whatever fancy audio speak is necessary to describe the differences?
I heard the 888's at a blind speaker meet we had at my house a few years ago. I liked them a lot mostly for movies, but never for one single second did I consider making a change. I was not wowed for music, and music is my priority.

A few months later I went to a GTG and heard the 212's. I was completely happy at the time with my current speakers and was not in the market for a speaker upgrade. As soon as I heard the 212's I knew I was in trouble. I fell in love with the sound for music and was able to "borrow" that pair for the next couple of weeks. Once I had them in my room I couldn't do without them so I bought 3 of them.

Now, I've seen others post that there isn't much difference but I can only say what my impressions are.
post #28124 of 28130 Unread Today, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I heard the 888's at a blind speaker meet we had at my house a few years ago. I liked them a lot mostly for movies, but never for one single second did I consider making a change. I was not wowed for music, and music is my priority.

A few months later I went to a GTG and heard the 212's. I was completely happy at the time with my current speakers and was not in the market for a speaker upgrade. As soon as I heard the 212's I knew I was in trouble. I fell in love with the sound for music and was able to "borrow" that pair for the next couple of weeks. Once I had them in my room I couldn't do without them so I bought 3 of them.

Now, I've seen others post that there isn't much difference but I can only say what my impressions are.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose, so I'll take what I can get. My brother is not an expert, but definitely knows what he likes (or thinks he likes), and it's that open, airy, top-end. I was talking to him yesterday though and as much as he liked the Triton One's, he wanted more mid-bass kick (what is that around 80hz?) that he felt from my PB-13 Ultra, but short of the 215 I'm not sure what 2ch setup could bring the whole package like that sans sub; how do the 212's do in that department?
post #28125 of 28130 Unread Today, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 345
@raynist , your PS4 is about to sound even more better!!!!!!

Transparent MusicWave Plus 8ft. MM2 Banana to Spade Speaker Cables
post #28126 of 28130 Unread Today, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed08 View Post
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose, so I'll take what I can get. My brother is not an expert, but definitely knows what he likes (or thinks he likes), and it's that open, airy, top-end. I was talking to him yesterday though and as much as he liked the Triton One's, he wanted more mid-bass kick (what is that around 80hz?) that he felt from my PB-13 Ultra, but short of the 215 I'm not sure what 2ch setup could bring the whole package like that sans sub; how do the 212's do in that department?
the 212's IMO are in a different league than the T8 or T12 for music but not as noticeable with movie dialog reproduction (I have owned all of them). The 212HT will give a lot of output down to 80hz especially if placed near wall. When people say midbass they aften mean lower than this though. The 212's (either model) need to be run with subs.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #28127 of 28130 Unread Today, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Coolgeek, great room. I bet you are having a lot of fun with that and getting more out of the already awesome equipment you have. Room makes such a big difference. Congratulations!

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
post #28128 of 28130 Unread Today, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
Coolgeek, great room. I bet you are having a lot of fun with that and getting more out of the already awesome equipment you have. Room makes such a big difference. Congratulations!
Thanks Lbrown

I spent a lot of time researching the acoustics of the room. Let's hope it all sounds great once i get my speakers in it.

I haven't set up much of anything else other than hook up the projector and testing it as I just got it yesterday and just could not wait one sec longer to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Coolgeek.. That is a nice theater. Graphics on the projector looks stunning too..
All it needs now is a couple of your S2s.. hahaha...

Yeah, even though I have seen the Sony 4K projector many times, now that it's in my room, it looks even more stunning. I love the fact that i can sit so close to my screen that it gives me exactly the Imax experience.
post #28129 of 28130 Unread Today, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
You have issues dude! If you find a good therapist, please PM me their number.
Since my Cats haven't sold yet I'm onto cars #34 &35. Gotta focus on something till these things sell.
post #28130 of 28130 Unread Today, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
@raynist , your PS4 is about to sound even more better!!!!!!

Transparent MusicWave Plus 8ft. MM2 Banana to Spade Speaker Cables
LOL, do you think he will actually sell those in here? Seems people on this site are smarter than that, although he bought them.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page