Official JTR speaker thread - Page 940 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #28171 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I do have a processor, it's not the minidsp but a different brand. After i have more time to play with the subs/placements, i may have to do some measurements if i am not satisfied with the sound and see what else i can do (including EQ), and maybe adding some more acoustics / bass traps into the mix..
Well...if after all that you're still not satisfied, there will only be one thing left to do........

Add another OS to help smooth things out.

Nabs17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28172 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Well...if after all that you're still not satisfied, there will only be one thing left to do........

Add another OS to help smooth things out.
Unfortunately that is not an option as i have 'zero' free space in my room.. the only place subs can go is behind the screen (ie, one location)... i might be able to put some 'tiny' 10 inch subs behind the first row... but i'll have to build them to be really short and angled or something to fit...
post #28173 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Hi @dwaleke ,

Anything different/new to report after a few more days with the 212's?

Any regrets?

Thanks
Ray
I just wanted to follow up on this now that I've had the 212HTs for a couple weeks.

I agree with what @Frohlich said in his post here.

I have also made small comments in various threads and my opinion hasn't changed much. Basically the 212HTs have more clarity in the mids and upper frequencies. This is a decent sized upgrade compared to the U215s. The 212s sound like they are smaller speakers. Oh and the midbass on the U215s was better.

I also just tested out some midbass modules with the L/R 212HT and have some feedback here.

And to top it all off I played with Audiolense XO this weekend and I'm really impressed with how well it integrates the speakers together. Better than my experience with Dirac in that regard (and I really liked Dirac overall).

After all the changes I made this weekend I found myself listening to a bunch of music and kept wanting to listen to more. I did not enjoy music listening as much with the U215s.

So far no regrets. I do wish I had the bottom end (<500hz) from the U215 and the top end of the 212HTs though.
dgage likes this.
post #28174 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Interesting but how does a 1080i/720p source look?
Quote:
Preliminary viewing of the Sony 500ES 4K projector on the Centerstage XD screen.

My initial reaction? Absolutely stunning pictures.

On HD projectors the XD material's weave is visible up to 10 feet or so, but it seems that when you use the 4K projector you can go much closer without seeing the weave.. I do not yet know how to explain this. I mean, a weave is a weave right? But my gut feeling is that the 'weave' we see may be a combination of 'pixel size + weave' rather than just 'weave'.

With the 4K projector, the image is silky smooth, baby bottom smooth... (enter your own analogy here).

When watching 3D, i can even walk up to my 10 feet wide screen and look right through it, like looking out a window. 3D has never been better (not even on the IMAX), as this projector on a 10 feet wide 0.9 gain screen is brighter than the image on the IMAX and with much better contrast and black levels. Space looks like absolute black... stars looks like stars...

Anyways, judge for yourself.. the image is taken about 9 feet away.. zoom in and see if you can see any weave. BTW: this pic was taken by my Samsung phone... the actual image is way smoother and much better colors...

BTW: This is an upscaled 1080p music video from a DTS demo track. Imagine what a 'real' 4K source would be like.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #28175 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I just wanted to follow up on this now that I've had the 212HTs for a couple weeks.

I have also made small comments in various threads and my opinion hasn't changed much. Basically the 212HTs have more clarity in the mids and upper frequencies. This is a decent sized upgrade compared to the U215s. The 212s sound like they are smaller speakers. Oh and the midbass on the U215s was better.

I also just tested out some midbass modules with the L/R 212HT and have some feedback here.

And to top it all off I played with Audiolense XO this weekend and I'm really impressed with how well it integrates the speakers together. Better than my experience with Dirac in that regard (and I really liked Dirac overall).

After all the changes I made this weekend I found myself listening to a bunch of music and kept wanting to listen to more. I did not enjoy music listening as much with the U215s.

So far no regrets. I do wish I had the bottom end (<500hz) from the U215 and the top end of the 212HTs though.
Thanks for your impressions.

It sounds like you are both happy with the swap.
post #28176 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

It's called the 215RT ... If you can fit em it's a one and done speaker ...
dwaleke likes this.

HToM

post #28177 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
It's called the 215RT ... If you can fit em it's a one and done speaker ...
I think my ultimate speaker would be the 215RM.

How high is the tweeter in the 215RT? Seems it would be quite a bit higher than ear height.
dgage likes this.
post #28178 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I think my ultimate speaker would be the 215RM.

How high is the tweeter in the 215RT? Seems it would be quite a bit higher than ear height.
It is approx 48" from the floor to the horn center. That is a little high but well within the the vertical dispersion of the speaker. I was a little concerned at first but now don't even think about it. The full range capability is the seal the deal feature for me.

HToM

post #28179 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Check out the Birdman soundtrack. Mostly all drumming and very dynamic. Was done by Antonio Sanchez who is apparently a Grammy winning jazz drummer.
post #28180 of 28216 Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting but how does a 1080i/720p source look?
I tried a DVD 480.. it smoothens it, but i think it's way too low a res to do much with... it's hard to do a comparison because we're so used to HD now, looking back to 480 is just going too far back... especially when it's projected on a 10 feet wide screen.

As for 720p and 1080i, i haven't tried those out yet.. i do have some content in 720p, but not sure where to find 1080i content.. once i checked it out, will let u know...
RMK! likes this.
post #28181 of 28216 Old Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Added the Bamboo Wall Lights. They provide a rustic, candle-lit ambient to the whole atmosphere. Each LED bulb is only 2 Watts, believe it or not... So, total power in the room, > 10,000 watts for Sound, and < 100 watts for lights.

dgage and hogues like this.
post #28182 of 28216 Old Today, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 221
post #28183 of 28216 Old Today, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Very sweet CoolGeek!! Love the overall look.
Thanks DLBECK,

It's basically your cinema in a different skin...

I should say, 'Inspired by The Savoy'
post #28184 of 28216 Old Today, 08:08 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Added the Bamboo Wall Lights. They provide a rustic, candle-lit ambient to the whole atmosphere. Each LED bulb is only 2 Watts, believe it or not... So, total power in the room, > 10,000 watts for Sound, and < 100 watts for lights.

Well you did it CG. Warm, inviting and very much like a high-end cinema only much more comfortable and I know, better sounding.

I almost hate to ask but did you wire for Atmos/Auro/DTS-X?

HToM

post #28185 of 28216 Old Today, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well you did it CG. Warm, inviting and very much like a high-end cinema only much more comfortable and I know, better sounding.

I almost hate to ask but did you wire for Atmos/Auro/DTS-X?
Thanks RMK... you know I have great sound, as you're the one who actually brought me to the JTR family...

If you look at the ceiling, at the cross beams, you'll notice that there are 'fabric' on the beams... those are 'false beams' which i created to place the Atmos speakers. I have 4 of them on the ceiling.... each with 2 sets of speaker cables (just in case). I made it so that where my speakers are placed aren't really noticeable.

Although I am not sure i'll invest in an Atmos AVR this year as the model Onkyo has is not 'true' atmos...
post #28186 of 28216 Old Today, 08:35 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Thanks RMK... you know I have great sound, as you're the one who actually brought me to the JTR family...

If you look at the ceiling, at the cross beams, you'll notice that there are 'fabric' on the beams... those are 'false beams' which i created to place the Atmos speakers. I have 4 of them on the ceiling.... each with 2 sets of speaker cables (just in case). I made it so that where my speakers are placed aren't really noticeable.

Although I am not sure i'll invest in an Atmos AVR this year as the model Onkyo has is not 'true' atmos...
Yeah, I finally took my lazy a$$ over to your build thread and got my answer re the ceiling speakers. Good choice on those and I for one am pretty happy with both of the available upmixing formats (DSU and Auro-matic) as they both give the ceiling speakers a workout. DTS-X is the wildcard but I was more concerned about getting use out of the ceiling speakers now and worry about the object based and 3D audio formats down the road.

I will say that the Dolby Atmos Demo disk sounds incredible in my room and I was especially blown away with the Enrique Iglesias Music Video: Bailando. It was easily the best music surround sound I have heard to date. Getting the Auro 3D demo today and really looking forward to that as it is purported to be the better format for music. Bottom line for me is that these new SS formats take HT audio to another level and the future looks very promising if a little foggy.

HToM

Last edited by RMK!; Today at 08:40 AM.
post #28187 of 28216 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I finally took my lazy a$$ over to your build thread and got my answer re the ceiling speakers. Good choice on those and I for one am pretty happy with both of the available upmixing formats (DSU and Auro-matic) as they both give the ceiling speakers a workout. DTS-X is the wildcard but I was more concerned about getting use out of the ceiling speakers now and worry about the object based and 3D audio formats down the road.

I will say that the Dolby Atmos Demo disk sounds incredible in my room and I was especially blown away with the Enrique Iglesias Music Video: Bailando. It was easily the best music surround sound I have heard to date. Getting the Auro 3D demo today and really looking forward to that as it is purported to be the better format for music. Bottom line for me is that these new SS formats take HT audio to another level and the future looks very promising if a little foggy.
I have a feeling the next amp iteration Onkyo comes up with will have the full Atmos specs. Amps aren't cheap, so I may just have to have a little patient

It's great to see that you're finally at a place where you have everything you built up to (or, evolved to),... but, knowing you, you'll likely be evolving again soon.. haha...

It's always good to see what new toys you'll be playing with next, although i think the JTR 215s will keep you happy for a long time to come.
post #28188 of 28216 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

FYI, Emotiva just announced an XMR-1 processor, which is supposed to have Atmos, HDMI 2, Dirac, and 16 channels. No ETA, but I think I will wait on that for my next preamp.
post #28189 of 28216 Old Today, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
FYI, Emotiva just announced an XMR-1 processor, which is supposed to have Atmos, HDMI 2, Dirac, and 16 channels. No ETA, but I think I will wait on that for my next preamp.
16 channels!!! dang!!!

Anyways, I love the idea of running all my speakers off a single receiver (with amp built in). That's the best thing I love about these High Efficiency speakers.. i just don't need the extra amps and the simplicity it offers. I have had friends keep asking me what amps i am using and whenever i say, 'oh, well, just a receiver'.. they'll look disappointed.. haha

I guess I am not a huge 'gadget' kind of guy.. i like keeping it all simple and easy to use.

BTW: I just tested out my speakers with the Onkyo 718 (which is several steps down from the 3009 i was using), and I just can't tell the difference in sound / volume.. i can power all of the speakers to as loud as i want without distortion... so, i am thinking here, why in the world do i even need the higher end receivers when a cheap lower end would do EXACTLY the same trick. And I have also powered my 212s with the LAB 10,000 clone (2000 cleats watts each channel), and again, i don't feel like there's any difference... so, in the end, if i can't find a difference, why bother with the 'extra work'? or 'extra expense'?
RMK! likes this.
post #28190 of 28216 Old Today, 09:29 AM
Tha Hz Curve

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
considering how long it took them to come out with the latest processor, you might be far, far behind by the time this one comes around...
asoofi1 likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28191 of 28216 Old Today, 09:30 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
I have a feeling the next amp iteration Onkyo comes up with will have the full Atmos specs. Amps aren't cheap, so I may just have to have a little patient

It's great to see that you're finally at a place where you have everything you built up to (or, evolved to),... but, knowing you, you'll likely be evolving again soon.. haha...

It's always good to see what new toys you'll be playing with next, although i think the JTR 215s will keep you happy for a long time to come.
Very nice of you to refer to my illness as "evolving" . You should think separates as separating out the amp section makes the upgrade process a little easier. Since I have had a lot of amps and am currently very happy with my bargain basement Behringer INUKE's, I have "evolved" to the belief that power can be cheap.

Quote:
Yeah, sounds interesting and since I bought (and sold) the XMC-1, I have a 25% off coupon. That said, we might be waiting a very long time so in the meantime, I get to enjoy 5.1.4 audio via a variety of formats.
coolgeek likes this.

HToM

post #28192 of 28216 Old Today, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
considering how long it took them to come out with the latest processor, you might be far, far behind by the time this one comes around...
If JRiver comes out with Atmos support first, I may be tempted to get a Motu 24Ao and do everything from my PC. A processor would give me all the bells and whistles on console games, too, which would be nice.

And I'm sitting on a 40% off card.

As others have said, I have my old preamp while I wait. Hopefully, Emotive will move faster, now that their first one is out.
post #28193 of 28216 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
16 channels!!! dang!!!

Anyways, I love the idea of running all my speakers off a single receiver (with amp built in). That's the best thing I love about these High Efficiency speakers.. i just don't need the extra amps and the simplicity it offers. I have had friends keep asking me what amps i am using and whenever i say, 'oh, well, just a receiver'.. they'll look disappointed.. haha

I guess I am not a huge 'gadget' kind of guy.. i like keeping it all simple and easy to use.

BTW: I just tested out my speakers with the Onkyo 718 (which is several steps down from the 3009 i was using), and I just can't tell the difference in sound / volume.. i can power all of the speakers to as loud as i want without distortion... so, i am thinking here, why in the world do i even need the higher end receivers when a cheap lower end would do EXACTLY the same trick. And I have also powered my 212s with the LAB 10,000 clone (2000 cleats watts each channel), and again, i don't feel like there's any difference... so, in the end, if i can't find a difference, why bother with the 'extra work'? or 'extra expense'?
Yeah, you would still need external amplification, but if you're not a power junkie, you could go with dense, lower power amplification. That's definitely a cost benefit of the receivers, although I guess I'm somewhat of a power junkie.
post #28194 of 28216 Old Today, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Man may walk on Mars before this!
post #28195 of 28216 Old Today, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
receiver opinions

Current equipment:
3 x JTR triple 12
2 x JTR single 8
SVS PB12-NSD
a 10-year old Sony receiver

Soon to add:
2 x JTR slant 8

I'm considering the following:
Denon X5200W
Marantz SR7009
Marantz AV7702 with an Emotiva XPA-7

Usage is 60/40 movies/music. I originally was just going to get the Denon and leave it at that. Someone pointed me at Marantz so started researching, and then was intrigued with the idea of separates. Room size is roughly 30' x 14'.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The reason I'm asking here and not in the Denon/Marantz threads is that I've already read all of those comparisons. I want to get some feedback from JTR owners. Thanks!
post #28196 of 28216 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Current equipment:
3 x JTR triple 12
2 x JTR single 8
SVS PB12-NSD

Soon to add:
2 x JTR slant 8

Denon X5200W
Marantz SR7009

Usage is 60/40 movies/music. I originally was just going to get the Denon and leave it at that. Someone pointed me at Marantz so started researching, and then was intrigued with the idea of separates. Room size is roughly 30' x 14'.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The reason I'm asking here and not in the Denon/Marantz threads is that I've already read all of those comparisons. I want to get some feedback from JTR owners. Thanks!
That is a lot of speaker power to be paired with a PB12-NSD!!

I say go for a captivated 2400 instead of the additional surrounds. I have only reall noticed a difference between 5.1 and 7.1 movies on a few occasions.
post #28197 of 28216 Old Today, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
This looks perfect on paper but as others have said , timing is likely somewhere between 2017 and never
post #28198 of 28216 Old Today, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
This looks perfect on paper but as others have said , timing is likely somewhere between 2017 and never
Pretty sure I heard a rumor (just told myself in the mirror) that the XMR-1 will only be released with 12 channels and you'll get a firmware update for the additional 4 channels sometime in the 8 months following release depending on how much groveling is done by owners. Oh, and the additional 4 channels will have a usage fee of $150 for the privilege to have Emotiva power in the house. No, I'm not bitter about being lied to about a planned firmware upgrade to my Sherbourn PT-7130...nope.
post #28199 of 28216 Old Today, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Pretty sure I heard a rumor (just told myself in the mirror) that the XMR-1 will only be released with 12 channels and you'll get a firmware update for the additional 4 channels sometime in the 8 months following release depending on how much groveling is done by owners. Oh, and the additional 4 channels will have a usage fee of $150 for the privilege to have Emotiva power in the house. No, I'm not bitter about being lied to about a planned firmware upgrade to my Sherbourn PT-7130...nope.
Pretty sure Dan just had us banned for life from the Emotiva lounge and my 40% off coupon (*please note Emotiva reserves the right to alter or revoke the 40% off coupon at any time with no notice) was reduced to 39% off. Dang it!!!!!!!
post #28200 of 28216 Old Today, 01:12 PM
Tha Hz Curve

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Current equipment:
3 x JTR triple 12
2 x JTR single 8
SVS PB12-NSD

Soon to add:
2 x JTR slant 8

Denon X5200W
Marantz SR7009

With those speakers, you won't need more power really than what an AVR already offers. With that said, I have the 7702 and run Dsonic 7 channel amp, as well as an outlaw amp on the atmos speakers now and I love both those amps for sure! Save yourself some money and check out the Outlaw B-stocks. The 7125 might just be the ticket, and is likely all you need for your setup...That is unless you listen at the back of the room at reference or something. The 7702 is a great piece for sure though

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page