Official JTR speaker thread - Page 941 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #28201 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Added the Bamboo Wall Lights. They provide a rustic, candle-lit ambient to the whole atmosphere. Each LED bulb is only 2 Watts, believe it or not... So, total power in the room, > 10,000 watts for Sound, and < 100 watts for lights.

CG....what surrounds do you have? I love to woodwork and it appears by looking at the picture you have it angled and I'm assuming that's where your surrounds are. Really love to woodwork.

Nabs17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28202 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Very nice CoolGeek. Are you using single 8's? Also did you do Atmos speakers?
post #28203 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I am about to setup an Elite Screens AT screen this week and have a few questions about placement of my 212HT's.

The area the screen will be in is about 112 inches wide from a wall on the right to a door on the left. I will have 2 of my 4 Power Sound Audio Triax's behind the screen also. Each Triax is about 31 inches wide. Accounting for the Triax's, I have about 50 inches for my speakers. The speakers being 16.5 inches leaves me with less than an inch left over. It seems I may have a hard time towing in my speakers. I had planned on building 21 inch stands to put the 212HT's CD at about 41 inches which is my ear height when sitting up straight on my couch. Another thought I had is to put all of the 212's above the Triax's which are 23 inches tall. This will put the CD about 2-3 inches above my ear height but I could toe in as much as I would like. Will this matter at all? I will be sitting at least 15 feet away from the front of the screen.

I had planned on having it setup as 212-Triax-212-Triax-212. I could push both Triax's together in the middle of the screen and have the center sitting on top. In this scenario the center channels CD would be around 43-44 inches high. I would then have enough room to put my 212's on 20 inch stands as planned and can toe in as much as I would like.

Thanks
Ray

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
4 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in slanted boxes (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
3 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials in Ported Boxes for LCR's
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #28204 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
Tha Hz Curve

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I am about to setup an Elite Screens AT screen this week and have a few questions about placement of my 212HT's.

The area the screen will be in is about 112 inches wide from a wall on the right to a door on the left. I will have 2 of my 4 Power Sound Audio Triax's behind the screen also. Each Triax is about 31 inches wide. Accounting for the Triax's, I have about 50 inches for my speakers. The speakers being 16.5 inches leaves me with less than an inch left over. It seems I may have a hard time towing in my speakers. I had planned on building 21 inch stands to put the 212HT's CD at about 41 inches which is my ear height when sitting up straight on my couch. Another thought I had is to put all of the 212's above the Triax's which are 23 inches tall. This will put the CD about 2-3 inches above my ear height but I could toe in as much as I would like. Will this matter at all? I will be sitting at least 15 feet away from the front of the screen.

I had planned on having it setup as 212-Triax-212-Triax-212. I could push both Triax's together in the middle of the screen and have the center sitting on top. In this scenario the center channels CD would be around 43-44 inches high. I would then have enough room to put my 212's on 20 inch stands as planned and can toe in as much as I would like.

Thanks
Ray
Ray,

Having the CD's a couple inches above ear height will not be a problem at all. I would opt to have all three speakers at the same exact height before I would worry about anything else. Putting the 212's on top of the triaxes and gives you a little more flexibility anyways. You may find that the response is better with the combo a little ways in from the side wall, or perhaps better right up against the side wall. Doing this configuration will allow the ability to experiment a little with what sounds best to you.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28205 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
That is a lot of speaker power to be paired with a PB12-NSD!!

I say go for a captivated 2400 instead of the additional surrounds. I have only reall noticed a difference between 5.1 and 7.1 movies on a few occasions.
Funny you mention that. I hadn't looked at the 2400, but was strongly considering starting with one S2 with the option of adding a 2nd if needed. I know my SVS sub is outmatched, but it still sounds pretty darn good

What's your opinion on the 2400 vs. S2? I thought most of the owners in this thread were running sealed subs.
post #28206 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Tha Hz Curve

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1100
Depends on if you want extension below 20hz or so. With just a single s2, you still won't get it, but if you get a pair of s2's, it will be quite visceral. For half that or so, a pair of caps will get you the same output above tune, but you sacrifice the <20hz material. Arguments are valid on both sides really on whether or not this is important or not....

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #28207 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronin View Post
Funny you mention that. I hadn't looked at the 2400, but was strongly considering starting with one S2 with the option of adding a 2nd if needed. I know my SVS sub is outmatched, but it still sounds pretty darn good

What's your opinion on the 2400 vs. S2? I thought most of the owners in this thread were running sealed subs.
If I were just starting out with getting high powered subs I would go DIY. But if you can afford 2 S2's that might be the best bet.
post #28208 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Current equipment:

3 x JTR triple 12

2 x JTR single 8

SVS PB12-NSD

a 10-year old Sony receiver

Soon to add:

2 x JTR slant 8

I'm considering the following:

Denon X5200W

Marantz SR7009

Marantz AV7702 with an Emotiva XPA-7

Usage is 60/40 movies/music. I originally was just going to get the Denon and leave it at that. Someone pointed me at Marantz so started researching, and then was intrigued with the idea of separates. Room size is roughly 30' x 14'.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The reason I'm asking here and not in the Denon/Marantz threads is that I've already read all of those comparisons. I want to get some feedback from JTR owners. Thanks!

If you're not running Atmos, then an avr like 7009 is all you need for your 7.1 setup.
If atmos 5.1.4, then everything can just run off the avr.
If you're going to 7.1.4 atmos then just add a 2 or 3 channel amp to the 7009 to run a pair or all of the front channels and the surrounds off the avr.
Avr by itself is all you need to go louder than you can stand with the Jayterz.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #28209 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

From what jeff told me when I was deciding between the S2 and Cap 2400. The 2400 stays right with the s2 at or right around port tune. Anywhere else the S2 walks away. So, I grabbed the S2's. But, as you can see and jeff will tell you, you pay more per sub for that extra performance.

To each there own. You certainly can't go wrong with either. I have never once regretted my s2 purchase. I wanted to try some ULF experience and I am getting reference and then some down to 10hz, and maybe lower in my room
tanbyte likes this.
post #28210 of 28219 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Legacy Aeris. I like 802Ds, particularly ones with the latest tweeters, but the Aeris is a league above, IMO
Nice looking, and I'm sure they would sound great...Just 3x more than I want to spend unfortunately.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #28211 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod2486 View Post
From what jeff told me when I was deciding between the S2 and Cap 2400. The 2400 stays right with the s2 at or right around port tune. Anywhere else the S2 walks away. So, I grabbed the S2's. But, as you can see and jeff will tell you, you pay more per sub for that extra performance.

To each there own. You certainly can't go wrong with either. I have never once regretted my s2 purchase. I wanted to try some ULF experience and I am getting reference and then some down to 10hz, and maybe lower in my room
Cant wait to receive mine! 2 more weeks....tick tock...
post #28212 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
CG....what surrounds do you have? I love to woodwork and it appears by looking at the picture you have it angled and I'm assuming that's where your surrounds are. Really love to woodwork.
Thanks Nabs17,

I have 4 Slanted 8s as surrounds. They are great sounding speakers and I wouldn't exchange them for anything. I bought them quite a while back when they are still pretty cheap.

And yes, the columns is where i have my surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Very nice CoolGeek. Are you using single 8's? Also did you do Atmos speakers?
The 4 surrounds are Slanted 8s. I have prepared 4 compartments at the ceiling (in the cross beams, you can see 4 areas that are covered by fabric) to place my atmos speakers in. I bought the Volt-6s and once they arrive, i'll test those out. I am not in a hurry to add the atmos speakers though as i want to wait for a 'real atmos' receiver from Onkyo... which is likely end of this year...
post #28213 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Thanks Nabs17,

I have 4 Slanted 8s as surrounds. They are great sounding speakers and I wouldn't exchange them for anything. I bought them quite a while back when they are still pretty cheap.

And yes, the columns is where i have my surrounds.

The 4 surrounds are Slanted 8s. I have prepared 4 compartments at the ceiling (in the cross beams, you can see 4 areas that are covered by fabric) to place my atmos speakers in. I bought the Volt-6s and once they arrive, i'll test those out. I am not in a hurry to add the atmos speakers though as i want to wait for a 'real atmos' receiver from Onkyo... which is likely end of this year...
It will be interested to hear your impressions of how the V6s and S8s compare.
post #28214 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post
Cant wait to receive mine! 2 more weeks....tick tock...

You will be impressed. Big wow factor when unboxing. They look tough!! How many did you get?
post #28215 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Does anyone know what material Jeff uses for the grills (plastic like material). I'd like to have a matching midbass module I'm building with 15" JBL midbass drivers. Thanks.
post #28216 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
It will be interested to hear your impressions of how the V6s and S8s compare.

I will let you know.. might be a while though as i still need to get them shipped off from the US and also build the boxes which could take some time.
post #28217 of 28219 Unread Yesterday, 11:52 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Does anyone know what material Jeff uses for the grills (plastic like material). I'd like to have a matching midbass module I'm building with 15" JBL midbass drivers. Thanks.
I think he said it was speaker cloth (Parts Express).

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #28218 of 28219 Unread Today, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I think he said it was speaker cloth (Parts Express).
I mean grill frame, it's a pretty nice thin plastic-like material. And then I will put the premium speaker cloth from Parts Express over that.
post #28219 of 28219 Unread Today, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod2486 View Post
You will be impressed. Big wow factor when unboxing. They look tough!! How many did you get?
I would love to say 2 or 4, but only one fits the budget/space at this time. My living room is medium sized, so should be good in there hopefully.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page