Official JTR speaker thread - Page 943 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #28261 of 30782 Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I'd keep those 228's if it were me..
I know - when I bought the 212's the plan was as soon as I could place them in service the 228's would go. I really really like them though - but they are extreme overkill for a living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28262 of 30782 Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Here's something.. I finally got to watch a movie on my system since I've been working a lot. But for awhile now, since my mains are set to full range. I had my sub setting on the AVR to no for subs. And just been running like that since. But recently I rewatced Oblivion last week. And finally for the first time got to watch John Wick. Man, the overall sound mix was amazing. Lots of bass too.Then when the movie was done, and the credits started to roll. I went to go feel how much the cones on the S2's was moving. And I got scared for a little while because they weren't. Then I remembered what I did on my reciever before. I couldn't believe it. I've recently watched this 2 movies just from the 215's only. Thinking I had the full speaker and sub system running. Well, now that the first run was with the 215's only, hopefull this Sunday im gonna give JW a spin again this time with the S2's on. And keep the mains at full.. But I still can't believe how much bass the 215's put out on their own..
carp, RMK! and tanbyte like this.

Last edited by rhed; 03-06-2015 at 11:34 PM.
post #28263 of 30782 Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I know - when I bought the 212's the plan was as soon as I could place them in service the 228's would go. I really really like them though - but they are extreme overkill for a living room.
Keep them bro.. Those are just highly praised speakers. Those and the 212's.. Now you own both models.. Nice.. My secondary's in my bedroom are still the deftechs. Not even close to the 228's. But I know you could make them work in you living room..

Last edited by rhed; 03-06-2015 at 11:40 PM.
post #28264 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Here's something.. I finally got to watch a movie on my system since I've been working a lot. But for awhile now, since my mains are set to full range. I had my sub setting on the AVR to no for subs. And just been running like that since. But recently I rewatced Oblivion last week. And finally for the first time got to watch John Wick. Man, the overall sound mix was amazing. Lots of bass too.Then when the movie was done, and the credits started to roll. I went to go feel how much the cones on the S2's was moving. And I got scared for a little while because they weren't. Then I remembered what I did on my reciever before. I couldn't believe it. I've recently watched this 2 movies just from the 215's only. Thinking I had the full speaker and sub system running. Well, now that the first run was with the 215's only, hopefull this Sunday im gonna give JW a spin again this time with the S2's on. And keep the mains at full.. But I still can't believe how much bass the 215's put out on their own..
WOW!! Those 215s are beasts...... now that you can't tell a difference with them on or off, i'll pm you my shipping address... ship all your S2s my way... will pay for shipping...

Speaking of which, I have the exact same issue all the time.. when one of my subs aren't on.... i usually don't notice it until i felt something was amiss... much later that is.. and then i go about looking for the source... this also happens with 'one of the LCR off', say cable loose... this makes me think again about how our brain tries very hard to make us feel that everthing's the same... (thus, i think invalidating a lot of blind tests even... ). I think a speaker system needs to be evaluated in a prolonged manner... although a quick listen can give you a ball park of whether you like it or not..
post #28265 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Report update on my Home Theater.

Today, while the guys are making the sound proof door (it's 3 inches thick and weights a ton), I was in the room messing around with the sound system, setting up everything...

Once i got all hooked up and turned on the sound, i was totally disappointed.... the room's acoustics were as good as it can get in my mind in terms of sound quality when the LCR noesis was on.. but when i add the subs, all hell broke loose.. ROOM MODES galore!!! I felt instant headache... everything sounded off and muddy... and i just can't get that 'quick attack bass' back from my bedroom...

I was horrified.. and was wondering what else i could do to the room...

Here are the problems i was having:

1. Muddy.. room modes... can't stand the bass.
2. Bass was off.. like sound arrive first, then the thud of bass...
3. No mid bass... totally gone...
4. Clarity gone... (can't even hear dialogue well).
5. Bass wasn't strong like i used to like it.. with my OS right beside my bed, i just can't get that feel anymore now that it's 13 feet away. I was thinking maybe my new HT have finally found the limit of the OS...

Basically it sucks big time..

Then this was what i did,... (after a few iteration).

1. Moved the OS to the side wall, with the mouth opening facing the side wall.
2. Moved the Left Noesis to sit against the OS, and the middel also sitting against it.. and the right just on the floor.
3. Moved both my HSU subs to behind one of the back seats... (i stacked them both together to increase their bass levels by 6dB).
4. I set the OS's distance to 27 feet, 13 feet plus the 14 foot long horn it had to go thru.

Suddenly.. NIRVANA!!!

1. The muddiness GONE!! Poof... looks like the subs at the back basically cancelled out all the room modes.. there were literally none.. i can move all around the room and it sounded fantastic.
2. After setting the proper distance, the bass was right on que.
3. Mid bass came back... this was prob due to my Left and Middle speaker now leaning on the OS (and basically near wall)... before my back wall which is totally treated was sucking out all of their mid-bass.. this was a temporary solution.. i am going to need to build a baffle wall to tackle the mid bass issue.
4. Clarity was back.. .extremely clear...
5. BASS was rocking!! With the OS on the corner, i think it added like tons of bass... and also with the HSUs nearfield, the backseat was now the money seat!! it was bass galore.. and clean bass that is.. you won't even know it's there.. it's not hot at all.. i didn't like the OS nearfield, but 2 HSUs sealed nearfield was great... I think long term, i am going to build multiple subs to be placed behind every seat...

Now, the sound was incredible.. much, much better than the Imax.. and way, way better than i had it in my bedroom before.. gonna bring my mom to watch the first movie right after i type this...
carp, Frohlich, RMK! and 2 others like this.
post #28266 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Report update on my Home Theater.

Today, while the guys are making the sound proof door (it's 3 inches thick and weights a ton), I was in the room messing around with the sound system, setting up everything...

Once i got all hooked up and turned on the sound, i was totally disappointed.... the room's acoustics were as good as it can get in my mind in terms of sound quality when the LCR noesis was on.. but when i add the subs, all hell broke loose.. ROOM MODES galore!!! I felt instant headache... everything sounded off and muddy... and i just can't get that 'quick attack bass' back from my bedroom...

I was horrified.. and was wondering what else i could do to the room...

Here are the problems i was having:

1. Muddy.. room modes... can't stand the bass.
2. Bass was off.. like sound arrive first, then the thud of bass...
3. No mid bass... totally gone...
4. Clarity gone... (can't even hear dialogue well).
5. Bass wasn't strong like i used to like it.. with my OS right beside my bed, i just can't get that feel anymore now that it's 13 feet away. I was thinking maybe my new HT have finally found the limit of the OS...

Basically it sucks big time..

Then this was what i did,... (after a few iteration).

1. Moved the OS to the side wall, with the mouth opening facing the side wall.
2. Moved the Left Noesis to sit against the OS, and the middel also sitting against it.. and the right just on the floor.
3. Moved both my HSU subs to behind one of the back seats... (i stacked them both together to increase their bass levels by 6dB).
4. I set the OS's distance to 27 feet, 13 feet plus the 14 foot long horn it had to go thru.

Suddenly.. NIRVANA!!!

1. The muddiness GONE!! Poof... looks like the subs at the back basically cancelled out all the room modes.. there were literally none.. i can move all around the room and it sounded fantastic.
2. After setting the proper distance, the bass was right on que.
3. Mid bass came back... this was prob due to my Left and Middle speaker now leaning on the OS (and basically near wall)... before my back wall which is totally treated was sucking out all of their mid-bass.. this was a temporary solution.. i am going to need to build a baffle wall to tackle the mid bass issue.
4. Clarity was back.. .extremely clear...
5. BASS was rocking!! With the OS on the corner, i think it added like tons of bass... and also with the HSUs nearfield, the backseat was now the money seat!! it was bass galore.. and clean bass that is.. you won't even know it's there.. it's not hot at all.. i didn't like the OS nearfield, but 2 HSUs sealed nearfield was great... I think long term, i am going to build multiple subs to be placed behind every seat...

Now, the sound was incredible.. much, much better than the Imax.. and way, way better than i had it in my bedroom before.. gonna bring my mom to watch the first movie right after i type this...
Awesome. Crisis averted! No worse feeling like oh man. Should have stuck with what I had lol

Glad you were able to find a fix. Now enjoy!
coolgeek likes this.
post #28267 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 302
That's great to hear CG! Sometimes it takes people years to get to that point...
post #28268 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Of course you are correct , I've watched John Wick with Atmos 3 times now and it is my favorite movie for audio. I also ran through most of the Scuba Steve demo disk this past week and never once thought I needed more cow bell err I mean subwoofer. Having 3 215's makes a difference and is exactly what I was hoping to achieve when I bought them. The 212/OS combo was a fantastic setup and having that much sound wash over you is an exhilarating experience but for me it's like skydiving, been there, done that and now I've moved on.

Are you still coming this month? We need to nail down the dates as I have a business trip at the end of the month.

Quote:

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
post #28269 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

As in real estate , it's location, location, location.

Good job!

Opinions are not facts.
post #28270 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Great to hear, CG. I love the look of your theater!

post #28271 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WOW!! Those 215s are beasts...... now that you can't tell a difference with them on or off, i'll pm you my shipping address... ship all your S2s my way... will pay for shipping...

Speaking of which, I have the exact same issue all the time.. when one of my subs aren't on.... i usually don't notice it until i felt something was amiss... much later that is.. and then i go about looking for the source... this also happens with 'one of the LCR off', say cable loose... this makes me think again about how our brain tries very hard to make us feel that everthing's the same... (thus, i think invalidating a lot of blind tests even... ). I think a speaker system needs to be evaluated in a prolonged manner... although a quick listen can give you a ball park of whether you like it or not..
For a friend? Sure I think I can send couple of S2's. But I like to hold on to my marriage. Haha.. Besides who needs S2's when one has a OS, a couple of HSU, and one badass HT room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Of course you are correct , I've watched John Wick with Atmos 3 times now and it is my favorite movie for audio. I also ran through most of the Scuba Steve demo disk this past week and never once thought I needed more cow bell err I mean subwoofer. Having 3 215's makes a difference and is exactly what I was hoping to achieve when I bought them. The 212/OS combo was a fantastic setup and having that much sound wash over you is an exhilarating experience but for me it's like skydiving, been there, done that and now I've moved on.

Are you still coming this month? We need to nail down the dates as I have a business trip at the end of the month.
RMK... You say been there, done that? Seriously? Having 3 215's is literly like having 6 15's for subs.. Really no joke..
Yes.. We are still coming but remember. It's not this month, it's next month of April.
RMK! likes this.
post #28272 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Great to hear, CG. I love the look of your theater!
Thank you Hogues... I love these kind of old fashioned library look... it's always been my dream to have a room just like this.. and now in combination with the Home Theater, it's just perfect for me...

Quote:
As in real estate , it's location, location, location.

Good job!
Thanks RMK! I wanted to cry...!!! After all the effort, time, and pain,... I did not know moving some speakers round can have that kind of drastic differences.. i thought for sure i was screwed and probably needed a lot more bass traps and dsp-ing... looks like subs on opposite sides of the room does the trick...

Quote:

One of these days, I might just have to get the 215 RMs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
That's great to hear CG! Sometimes it takes people years to get to that point...
Thanks DL... It actually did take years... If I am not mistaken, I was one of the first few to pre-order the Noesis... (can't remember how long back then was).. and before that I was lurking around here for years as well.. all the way back to considering the 4 Pi vs the very first JTRs...

And thanks to you, I had my initial 'template' to work with when I started building the room...

When I was staring at blank concrete bunker, it was truly a monumental task to figure out what needed to be done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Awesome. Crisis averted! No worse feeling like oh man. Should have stuck with what I had lol

Glad you were able to find a fix. Now enjoy!
Thanks Brian..

I couldn't have 'stuck' with what i have in any case as I am only renting a house now.. this Home Theater is build in my new House... right now, the only room totally ready is the HT... I don't even have a kitchen done yet... speaking of priorities... haha
RMK! likes this.
post #28273 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked: 1778
Quote:
Thank you Hogues... I love these kind of old fashioned library look... it's always been my dream to have a room just like this.. and now in combination with the Home Theater, it's just perfect for me...

Thanks RMK! I wanted to cry...!!! After all the effort, time, and pain,... I did not know moving some speakers round can have that kind of drastic differences.. i thought for sure i was screwed and probably needed a lot more bass traps and dsp-ing... looks like subs on opposite sides of the room does the trick...

One of these days, I might just have to get the 215 RMs...

Thanks DL... It actually did take years... If I am not mistaken, I was one of the first few to pre-order the Noesis... (can't remember how long back then was).. and before that I was lurking around here for years as well.. all the way back to considering the 4 Pi vs the very first JTRs...

And thanks to you, I had my initial 'template' to work with when I started building the room...

When I was staring at blank concrete bunker, it was truly a monumental task to figure out what needed to be done...

Thanks Brian..

I couldn't have 'stuck' with what i have in any case as I am only renting a house now.. this Home Theater is build in my new House... right now, the only room totally ready is the HT... I don't even have a kitchen done yet... speaking of priorities... haha
I agree with your priorities. There is always takeout
coolgeek likes this.
post #28274 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Some more photos of the Sony 500ES 4K Projector.

Remember: The photos here are just examples of the quality, brightness (at low lamp mode on a 10 feet wide screen)... the actual image is way, way smoother, better colors, and much nicer overall than these photos.. Some of these photos were taken when 'paused' which somehow makes the image softer and less sharp... also, some were taken while moving, so also may be out of focus.. the actual photos were very, very sharp and focused and full of details.. you can see the tiny hairs on the neck for instance... I would say twice as good as these. (taken with my samsung phone).

Some info:

1. Sony 500ES 4K Projector.
2. 10 feet wide, 16:9 screen with Centerstage XD material.
3. Blu-Ray 1080p upscaled to 4K by the projector.

Remember:

1. Some of these photos were taken when paused and that somehow makes the image softer and a bit out of focus. Some were taken while the movie was playing and also seems a little out of focus as well.

2. The actual images were FAR better than these. Much sharper and you can fee far more details.

3. You can see how bright the images were even when in low lamp mode (these were in low lamp). And it's full of pop.

4. Contrast were excellent, Black levels were as good as it's going to get. (I might try out the UF material and see if that can improve the dark levels further.. ).

5. Colors were excellent. I can't believe how good they were.. so much better than my tv or any cinemas i have been to.

6. Something to note, when I was auditioning the CenterStage XD materials with a HD projector, I could see the weave from 10 feet away. When played on this 4K projector, i can go as close as 6-7 feet and it's still silky smooth. Don't ask me why. I think the pixels of the 4K projector has something to do with it... You can see from the photos, most of which were taken from 7 feet away, it's very smooth... no weave at all..

BTW: This first picture was taken by someone on the official 500/600 ES thread with a mirror-less camera (whatever it is)... it's almost exactly what I am seeing on my screen. It's soooo darn good in real life, my own photos below just can't do it justice...

Ok, these are photos I took with my own Samsung phone... they suck in comparison..

post #28275 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 687
@coolgeek - Your theater is even better than your nickname...and that's saying something. Gorgeous! And great job!
@RMK - I need more cowbell.
post #28276 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
@coolgeek - Your theater is even better than your nickname...and that's saying something. Gorgeous! And great job!
@RMK - I need more cowbell.
Thanks dgage... really appreciate the compliments... time to go to bed now... been working on the HT the entire day...
post #28277 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Time to finally do something serious with my HT.
Any advice from you guys on how to make the design/construction good & cheap would be appreciated!
I'm new to this side of things.

Austin Basement Remodel
post #28278 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Anyone tried Crown DSi amps in home installation? Will it be cleaner than the Behringer iNuke? The built in PEQ functions (6 parametric filters) is intimidating. Is HiQnet easy to use? I wonder how's the fan noise (loud as Behringer)?
http://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/products/dsi-1000

Any other amps with built in PEQ?
post #28279 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Time to finally do something serious with my HT.
Any advice from you guys on how to make the design/construction good & cheap would be appreciated!
I'm new to this side of things.

Austin Basement Remodel
If I can impart ONE piece of knowledge that I got from months of research and actually setting up my own HT.. this is it...

--- More diffusors as opposed to absorbers ----

After actually checking out dozens of HT sample rooms set up by people selling Home Theater systems (even one room that cost USD 200,000), i found all of them to be 'too dead' sounding.

DlBeck's room is an example of this principle which the moment i read, I knew it was the right approach (based on my own experiences).... In the research leading up to doing my HT, from various experts in the field, most told me to place absorbers at first reflection points, etc, etc... but i decided to do away with ALL of them.. the way i designed my room, i can always add them when needed without having to take out or change anything.. (you can see all the maroon fabrics.. behind them are diffusers, not absorbers)....

The only place i have a dead zone is in the front wall (behind the screen).

And the ceiling (I have 4 inches of rockwool throughout the entire ceiling)... but i covered that with the 'wood panel' you see with 'holes' in it that allows some sound to get through and be absorbed... so, most are reflected back... I can tell you that before i covered up the ceiling with those perforated wood panels, and the side walls where i had rockwool (they are now covered with wood and used more as bass absorbers), the sound was completely dead... when i played music using my handphone (this is how to test the acoustics of the room before it was done), you can hardly hear anything.. it's like a dead zone...

Right now, the sound is fantastic.. it's alive... and you feel like you're in a huge hall.. (that was a bonus..i am not sure what i did that achieved that effect).. basially, my room now sounds like the Imax hall... i can play music as loud as i want without it being over-whelming...
post #28280 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

After RMK's glowing review of 3D surround sound formats, i did some more reading..

Looks like DTS is also coming out with their own version, and it may be the most flexible in terms of implementation... and looks like the next iteration of AVRs are indeed going to include it... so, i guess, i'll just have to be patient...
post #28281 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If I can impart ONE piece of knowledge that I got from months of research and actually setting up my own HT.. this is it...

--- More diffusors as opposed to absorbers ----

After actually checking out dozens of HT sample rooms set up by people selling Home Theater systems (even one room that cost USD 200,000), i found all of them to be 'too dead' sounding.

DlBeck's room is an example of this principle which the moment i read, I knew it was the right approach (based on my own experiences).... In the research leading up to doing my HT, from various experts in the field, most told me to place absorbers at first reflection points, etc, etc... but i decided to do away with ALL of them.. the way i designed my room, i can always add them when needed without having to take out or change anything.. (you can see all the maroon fabrics.. behind them are diffusers, not absorbers)....

The only place i have a dead zone is in the front wall (behind the screen).

And the ceiling (I have 4 inches of rockwool throughout the entire ceiling)... but i covered that with the 'wood panel' you see with 'holes' in it that allows some sound to get through and be absorbed... so, most are reflected back... I can tell you that before i covered up the ceiling with those perforated wood panels, and the side walls where i had rockwool (they are now covered with wood and used more as bass absorbers), the sound was completely dead... when i played music using my handphone (this is how to test the acoustics of the room before it was done), you can hardly hear anything.. it's like a dead zone...

Right now, the sound is fantastic.. it's alive... and you feel like you're in a huge hall.. (that was a bonus..i am not sure what i did that achieved that effect).. basially, my room now sounds like the Imax hall... i can play music as loud as i want without it being over-whelming...
Thanks.
I haven't heard enough rooms to know what I am looking for in that department.
Right now, I just have a bunch of panels in my super-reflective room.
Overall, it's currently more reflective than I would like.
I haven't been too worried about over-treating it, but I guess it's important to keep some flexibility to back off.
post #28282 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 102
@coolgeek
Do you have any REW room measurements (before and after Audyssey)?
post #28283 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Coolgeek - how much Rockwool do you have on your front wall?

I just put up an AT screen and would like to treat this wall. I could probably fit 8 inches of it between the wall and speakers. It is out of site so it doesn't have to look nice. I was even thinking of just wrapping it in cheap bedsheets and throwing it back there.
post #28284 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Coolgeek - how much Rockwool do you have on your front wall?

I just put up an AT screen and would like to treat this wall. I could probably fit 8 inches of it between the wall and speakers. It is out of site so it doesn't have to look nice. I was even thinking of just wrapping it in cheap bedsheets and throwing it back there.
The front top is a huge bass trap with 2x4s rockwool placed in a triangle.... the rest of the wall is 4 inches of 80kg/m3 rockwool.... and i covered them all up with acoustically transparent black cloth to tidy it up so it looks nice (these aren't expensive.. a few bucks per meter run)... so, the whole enclosure behind the screen is 'dead space'... and also very dark so it doesn' reflect back light onto the screen...

What i notice from this is, without a baffle wall, any LCR speakers i place will have a lot of their 'mid bass' absorbed as well.. .so i am losing a lot of mid bass from my noesis speakers... i have temporarily leaned my noesis against the Orbit shifter to get back the mid bass.. and later will be building a baffle wall around those 3 speakers...
post #28285 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
@coolgeek
Do you have any REW room measurements (before and after Audyssey)?
No... i will be waiting till i move into the house to do the finer tunings... right now, i have to slog my receiver and projector back and forth to the new house and workers are still working there... and i still need to build a baffle wall.. so, it's still ongoing..

I did try audyssey in my own bedroom but decided i did not like their curve... i went back to 'manual adjustments' to what i like to hear... i did keep the audyssey 'distance' settings though...
post #28286 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Thanks.
I haven't heard enough rooms to know what I am looking for in that department.
Right now, I just have a bunch of panels in my super-reflective room.
Overall, it's currently more reflective than I would like.
I haven't been too worried about over-treating it, but I guess it's important to keep some flexibility to back off.
An untreated room is usually too reflective.. especially if the walls are far away.. or if you have a high ceiling.. in my brother's house, one portion of his ceiling is like 20 feet high.. the sound that bounces off that and back into the listening area creates a sort of echo... (when a reflected sound is near it gives a sense of spaciousness, but when it's delayed sufficiently, it becomes an echo)... so, intelligibility is almost gone in his room..

But treating it with absorbers will leave you with a 'too dead' room... for me, the middle ground is diffusors... and if i need to, i'll place some absorbers... remember, for those of us that loves our 'bass' hot, over treating your room, ie, taking out too much of the highs will result in sound that is too 'muddled, bassy.. '.. because those absorbers don't trap the lower frequencies, only the higher ones...
post #28287 of 30782 Old 03-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
For a friend? Sure I think I can send couple of S2's. But I like to hold on to my marriage. Haha.. Besides who needs S2's when one has a OS, a couple of HSU, and one badass HT room?

RMK... You say been there, done that? Seriously? Having 3 215's is literly like having 6 15's for subs.. Really no joke..
Yes.. We are still coming but remember. It's not this month, it's next month of April.
Remembering is the issue. Looking forward to it.

Opinions are not facts.
post #28288 of 30782 Old 03-08-2015, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The front top is a huge bass trap with 2x4s rockwool placed in a triangle.... the rest of the wall is 4 inches of 80kg/m3 rockwool.... and i covered them all up with acoustically transparent black cloth to tidy it up so it looks nice (these aren't expensive.. a few bucks per meter run)... so, the whole enclosure behind the screen is 'dead space'... and also very dark so it doesn' reflect back light onto the screen...

What i notice from this is, without a baffle wall, any LCR speakers i place will have a lot of their 'mid bass' absorbed as well.. .so i am losing a lot of mid bass from my noesis speakers... i have temporarily leaned my noesis against the Orbit shifter to get back the mid bass.. and later will be building a baffle wall around those 3 speakers...
Thanks!

I don't want to lose midbass so I may have to rethink this.

Last edited by raynist; 03-08-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #28289 of 30782 Old 03-08-2015, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Were you crossing the subs with your previous speakers? interested to see if you notice any difference if you were to cross say at 80-90 rather than keeping the 215's at full band. I think the diff may be subtle if any probably.
post #28290 of 30782 Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No... i will be waiting till i move into the house to do the finer tunings... right now, i have to slog my receiver and projector back and forth to the new house and workers are still working there... and i still need to build a baffle wall.. so, it's still ongoing..

I did try audyssey in my own bedroom but decided i did not like their curve... i went back to 'manual adjustments' to what i like to hear... i did keep the audyssey 'distance' settings though...
What do you think the right thickness of treatment would be on a baffle wall to preserve mid bass?

I suppose this sort of thing can be tuned before the fabric and screens go up.

After the fabric goes up, how hard is it to make changes?

How to you get behind the screen? Is there some kind of doorway/access panel?
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page