Official JTR speaker thread - Page 953 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #28561 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I'm looking to bitstream. I would just transcode to PCM or flac if that was what I wanted [emoji4] I was told the emotiva didn't allow custom curves though, only corrected to a flat setting?

I figured out how to add files to groups but the parental lock eludes me. I need there to be different selectable groups where whole groups could be locked and/or seperate files could be locked. That's what I have right now with mediaportal and it's hard to let it go.
Emotiva just released full Dirac with custom target curves for a $99 upgrade. As far as I'm concerned, the custom target curves are essential.

No idea about parental lock. Maybe post on the JRiver forums?
I haven't tried Mediaportal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28562 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I'm looking to bitstream. I would just transcode to PCM or flac if that was what I wanted [emoji4] I was told the emotiva didn't allow custom curves though, only corrected to a flat setting?

I figured out how to add files to groups but the parental lock eludes me. I need there to be different selectable groups where whole groups could be locked and/or seperate files could be locked. That's what I have right now with mediaportal and it's hard to let it go.
Dirac (like virtually all DSP) works on PCM audio, so if you have another format, like DSD, DTS, DD or MP3, something has to transcode it before you can do EQ and/or bass management. JRiver can do that in real time, if you ask it to.
post #28563 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
I'm going to check it out. have you tried using xbmc with media browser as the back end? its much better than plain xbmc.
No, never tried that.
post #28564 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Need some advise here. I have been using my 228 for a center channel paired with my 215RT's temporally and have been using my Denon (4520) to push it and has been just fine. Now that I am going with my 215RM I am wondering if it will need a little more juice?
Now I have a couple of things I can do, I have a brand new Emotiva XPA3 and I could use that to power the front stage and then pair a minidsp with Dirac in the chain. My question is will the minidsp with dirac allow me to run the 215's full range and control the bass like the dsp (housecurve) on my inuke6Kdsp? Or I could buy another inukeNU46Kdsp and use that to power the front 3. I have liked my setup so far with the dsp on inuke as it is very easy and a cheap alternative for bass control running the big boys full range with no subs!! I don't have much experience or should say "no" experience with the minidsp other than seeing a few units on my travels to GTG's. Plan is to get a new processor and I am most interested in the Denon X7200WA later in may or June when the are upgraded. I am actually fine for now with the 4520, if it were not for Atmos, I would not even consider another unit. Anyway looking for some suggestions to power my 3 215's full range, thanks for any help here!!!

Reef
post #28565 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 430
The MiniDSP is easy to use and has strong bass management capabilities. Here's a link to the LFE management paper.
http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...ass-management
post #28566 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, got my S2 yest. I'm thoroughly impressed with it except for one thing.

It definitely has that larger than life and enveloping bass that give kind of the imax feeling, which is awesome.

However, some times when there is very low frequency content, like in bass i love you, i normally see the clip light come on the amp, and the drivers tend to kind of distort. That sound doesnt seem right. Its a yellowish orange light at the back.

The volume on the amp is a tick above 0db, and auddesey set the trim at -10db. I jst bumped the trim to -6.

When it clipped, it didnt seem to be that loud either, so dont know why it did so.

Other than that, i'm loving every bit of it.

Ps. The pics dont do justice to the size of the drivers at all. When i unboxed it first, i kept starring at those drivers for a good 10 mins before moving on

Last edited by tanbyte; Yesterday at 05:09 PM. Reason: Add one more thing, i also had dynamic volume turned off, as some times it boosts bass signals for me.
post #28567 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post
Hey guys, got my S2 yest. I'm thoroughly impressed with it except for one thing.

It definitely has that larger than life and enveloping bass that give kind of the imax feeling, which is awesome.

However, some times when there is very low frequency content, like in bass i love you, i normally see the clip light come on the amp, and the drivers tend to kind of distort. That sound doesnt seem right. Its a yellowish orange light at the back.

The volume on the amp is a tick above 0db, and auddesey set the trim at -10db. I jst bumped the trim to -6.

When it clipped, it didnt seem to be that loud either, so dont know why it did so.

Other than that, i'm loving every bit of it.

Ps. The pics dont do justice to the size of the drivers at all. When i unboxed it first, i kept starring at those drivers for a good 10 mins before moving on
First of all, "0" on the amp dial is like max on the amps output. So when you see red, it's close to its limits. The infinity sign is no output. So you might wanna turn down the dial. Also, do you see the signal light turn orange when playing a heavy bass scene? It's that light right above the dial.
post #28568 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
The MiniDSP is easy to use and has strong bass management capabilities. Here's a link to the LFE management paper.
http://www.minidsp.com/applications/...ass-management
Sorry but I have to ask, will the dirac unit still give you the bass management as the Nanoavr? Also there are 3 units, which would fit me the best, one is analog, digital and stero dac?
post #28569 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Sorry but I have to ask, will the dirac unit still give you the bass management as the Nanoavr? Also there are 3 units, which would fit me the best, one is analog, digital and stero dac?
Actually, that's a damn good question because you are correct, the Dirac unit loses some of the bass management capabilities. The unit I bought used ships out today so I should be able to try the NanoAVR DL next weekend and let you know my thoughts. Frankly, the NanoAVR units are already obsolete since they only handle 7.1 max so you might be better served by just getting another amp with DSP.
post #28570 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
First of all, "0" on the amp dial is like max on the amps output. So when you see red, it's close to its limits. The infinity sign is no output. So you might wanna turn down the dial. Also, do you see the signal light turn orange when playing a heavy bass scene? It's that light right above the dial.
I did not know that 0 was max. Thot it was min actually

When the clip light comes on, the signal light was still green. Havent seen it on orange yet. What does orange on signal light signify?

Also the volume was at -30 from ref, when i noticed this.

I'm running it on a 15A circuit at this time, could that be causing any issues?
post #28571 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Need some advise here. I have been using my 228 for a center channel paired with my 215RT's temporally and have been using my Denon (4520) to push it and has been just fine. Now that I am going with my 215RM I am wondering if it will need a little more juice?
Now I have a couple of things I can do, I have a brand new Emotiva XPA3 and I could use that to power the front stage and then pair a minidsp with Dirac in the chain. My question is will the minidsp with dirac allow me to run the 215's full range and control the bass like the dsp (housecurve) on my inuke6Kdsp? Or I could buy another inukeNU46Kdsp and use that to power the front 3. I have liked my setup so far with the dsp on inuke as it is very easy and a cheap alternative for bass control running the big boys full range with no subs!! I don't have much experience or should say "no" experience with the minidsp other than seeing a few units on my travels to GTG's. Plan is to get a new processor and I am most interested in the Denon X7200WA later in may or June when the are upgraded. I am actually fine for now with the 4520, if it were not for Atmos, I would not even consider another unit. Anyway looking for some suggestions to power my 3 215's full range, thanks for any help here!!!

Reef
Why not just get a 3000 DSP to power up the center? Cheap power with easy to use dsp.
post #28572 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post
I did not know that 0 was max. Thot it was min actually

When the clip light comes on, the signal light was still green. Havent seen it on orange yet. What does orange on signal light signify?

Also the volume was at -30 from ref, when i noticed this.

I'm running it on a 15A circuit at this time, could that be causing any issues?
Orange on the signal light says that the input is clipping. I guess in your case it's not. So that's good.
15A should be fine as the Speaker Power amps are effecient. Is the sub on its own? Or shared with another sub or other HT gear? Btw, what kind of avr/pre your running?

Last edited by rhed; Yesterday at 06:01 PM.
post #28573 of 28574 Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Orange on the signal light says that the input is clipping. I guess in your case it's not. So that's good.
15A should be fine as the Speaker Power amps are effecient. Is the sub on its own? Or shared with another sub or other HT gear? Btw, what kind of avr/pre your running?
Its sharing with other devices: Denon AVR-971 (older model), Directv, apple tv, and tv. No second sub. I've got a 4520CI coming in next week, which i know will require more power than the current avr.

There is a 20A circuit nearby, but I will need an extension cord to get to it, since I have only one location to place the sub. I will try to move it there. Have you plugged the sub directly into the wall outlet or do you have it through a surge protector? Instead of an extension cord, I was thinking if I have to use a surge protector, I can get one with a longer power cord, and run that to the 20A circuit.

Also the clip light actually comes on only when the content below 10 Hz is being played, for e.g on the bass I love you, I beleive it goes down to 5-7 Hz, I can see the drivers moving quite a bit then (and cant hear/feel much), but they also distort during this time.
post #28574 of 28574 Unread Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why not just get a 3000 DSP to power up the center? Cheap power with easy to use dsp.
Sucks because I sold practically a brand new 3000dsp at a GTG a few months back. I was looking for an easier alternative with one amp. Would be real nice if the NU460000 had a DSP version, but actually be really nice if they would build a 3 channel amp.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page