Official JTR speaker thread - Page 956 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #28651 of 28654 Old Today, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Yeah, I've decided to be more active on the internet.

Thanks. The Daytona 200 and most other motorcycle racing hasn't been televised in a couple years. Good thing that websites like FansChoice broadcast them:

http://www.fanschoice.tv/component/c...daytona-200774
Smart on the first. Crazy and awesome on the second. Really cool Jeff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28652 of 28654 Old Today, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey all!
Wanted to ask a few questions about amplification to all of you who are running the 215RTs.

1. Any reason to go with an audiophile amp (emotiva, parasound, outlaw, rotel) vs a pro audio amp (crest,crown,qsc,peavey)?
Seems like the general consensus is pro audio = audiophile at a cheaper price point? (No significant advantages one way or the other?
I want to use these 215's for theater and music 50/50, so don't want to miss out on sound quality.

2. How important is the problem mentioned earlier about pre amp output line voltage matching the Amp input desired voltage? If fairly important what you are you all doing about it? (Separate pre amps?)

3. Other good brands to look at that are not crazy expensive?

Thanks for any advice here! Wanna to do this right once, and enjoy for a long time.
post #28653 of 28654 Unread Today, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Hey all!
Wanted to ask a few questions about amplification to all of you who are running the 215RTs.

1. Any reason to go with an audiophile amp (emotiva, parasound, outlaw, rotel) vs a pro audio amp (crest,crown,qsc,peavey)?
Seems like the general consensus is pro audio = audiophile at a cheaper price point? (No significant advantages one way or the other?
I want to use these 215's for theater and music 50/50, so don't want to miss out on sound quality.

2. How important is the problem mentioned earlier about pre amp output line voltage matching the Amp input desired voltage? If fairly important what you are you all doing about it? (Separate pre amps?)

3. Other good brands to look at that are not crazy expensive?

Thanks for any advice here! Wanna to do this right once, and enjoy for a long time.
IMO you want a pro amp. The 215's can take 2000 watts and aren't that crazy sensitive like the 212's so you want to feed them a lot of power. The inuke's are the cheapest route. I like the 3000 dsp. With the 6000 you have a chance of having the thump/shriek at startup and power down. Not so with the 3000. You will only be giving the 215's 600 ish watts with the 3000 compared to over 2000 with the 6000 and in my testing I could get 6-8 db's more out of the 6000 compared to the 3000 before clipping on the exact same scenes. The numbers don't add up, I shouldn't be getting that many more db's, it should be more like 4 but I've tried it a few times and that's what I get.

Now, there is the issue that many say that the inukes are bad for highs and should be used for subs only. Jeff agrees. I honestly can't tell the difference and was a part of a blind amp comparison that was level matched and had immediate switching and I couldn't tell the difference.

Still.... I say the same about Tidal vs. Google Play. FLAC vs. 320. Immediate switching I can't tell the difference at all, but with Tidal it's harder to turn the system off and go to bed, I feel more addicted than with Google Play. Could definitely be placebo though.

I'm talking in circles here. To be safe I would recommend getting a very powerful but quiet/high quality pro amp.

Jeff recommends this if you want something with built in dsp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-I-T400...-/360494842380

If not, get a minidsp for dsp and others could chime in on what pro amp to get. The D-Sonics are supposed to be awesome but they are pricey.
post #28654 of 28654 Unread Today, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
I didn't notice the aspect ratio changes but my son did because he asked during the movie if it was changing but (again) it wasn't distracting to me.

It's like any other "in" special effect, you'll see a bunch do it till people are tired of it. Remember when every movie, even animated ones, started doing the matrix effect?

I've actually noticed the aspect change on a few movies now. I notice it cause it wreaks havoc on my encoding process at times.
@carp , imo it's damned hard to tell a difference between high bitrate MP3/aac vs flac. The most apparent would be noise floor and extreme high end of the spectrum, assuming your hearing is good enough and room is quiet enough.
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp
Gear in this thread - 215RT by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page