Official JTR speaker thread - Page 958 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #28711 of 29412 Old 04-03-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Doesnt the I-Tech also have a DSP? If so I wonder if the 215's were running with the M2 DSP program?
Just so you know, that's impossible.
Mfusick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28712 of 29412 Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
I still have to get John Wick...you and many others are giving great feedback about it. And here I'm trying to hold back on upgrading my avr just yet...

Don't you have four 8340 on the ceiling right now...Where will the new pair of slanted 8's go?
Yes and the new S8's are going right back to where the last S8 were. With Atmos, DSX and Auromatic the surrounds are so much more active that I convinced myself that I needed to fill the void that having no surround backs created.
countryWV likes this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28713 of 29412 Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Yes and the new S8's are going right back to where the last S8 were. With Atmos, DSX and Auromatic the surrounds are so much more active that I convinced myself that I needed to fill the void that having no surround backs created.
That was an expensive lesson to learn
post #28714 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Guess I have a lot to learn. I thought a DSP program was just applied per channel to whatever you hooked up to it. I assumed that it could be done just wouldn't sound good.
So for for instance if you DSPed a speaker on channel 1 then hooked up another speaker, that automatically resets the DSP settings?

Help me out here, so I understand properly.
post #28715 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Guess I have a lot to learn. I thought a DSP program was just applied per channel to whatever you hooked up to it. I assumed that it could be done just wouldn't sound good.
So for for instance if you DSPed a speaker on channel 1 then hooked up another speaker, that automatically resets the DSP settings?

Help me out here, so I understand properly.
The iTech5000 is a 2 channel amplifier. Because the M2 is an active speaker, the iTech enters a special mode where one channel is dedicated to the compression driver and the other to the woofer. The DSP, or active crossovers, for the M2 only work in this "split channel" mode, which means when the M2 DSP is active the amp can only send the signal above the crossover to one channel and below the crossover to the other channel.

If a passive full range speaker were to be connected to either of those channels with the M2 DSP engaged it would be impossible not to know since you would either be missing all the bass or all the treble, depending on which channel you connected.
post #28716 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The iTech5000 is a 2 channel amplifier. Because the M2 is an active speaker, the iTech enters a special mode where one channel is dedicated to the compression driver and the other to the woofer. The DSP, or active crossovers, for the M2 only work in this "split channel" mode, which means when the M2 DSP is active the amp can only send the signal above the crossover to one channel and below the crossover to the other channel.

If a passive full range speaker were to be connected to either of those channels with the M2 DSP engaged it would be impossible not to know since you would either be missing all the bass or all the treble, depending on which channel you connected.
Cool understand where your coming from now. Thanks!
post #28717 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cool understand where your coming from now. Thanks!
No problem. The reason they make it impossible to activate the active DSP presets (such as the M2 preset) and send it to a single channel is to protect the drivers of an active speaker. You wouldn't want a careless mistake to be made and send a full range signal to a tweeter. That would make the magic smoke very quickly.
post #28718 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
LOL, I did not want to touch that one if you know what I mean !!
Gooddoc likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 04-04-2015 at 08:25 AM.
post #28719 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 08:47 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
That was an expensive lesson to learn
Yeah well sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That's life.

Back to Interstellar, is it just me or is that fim an hour too long? It has some great bits and the audio is "stellar" but I felt myself growing older watching it. Many complained about dialog intelligibility but with our super CD's we JTR owners don't have to worry. Even with McConaughey mumbling like in his Lincoln ads, I heard every word ... even the ones I could have done without . The liftoff, worm hole and black hole scenes were epic from a sound and visual perspective.

I remember a discussion with forum member Fugueness about dialog intelligibility. He owned about 2000 films and is in the business so for him clear dialog was paramount. At the time he had some nice Aerial 7T mains and the horizontal soft dome MTM center channel and had heard about the first gen JTR Triple 12HT's. Upon investigation they were so "cheap" be bought a set as potential LCR's. He was so enthusiastic about the JTR's that I had to hear them and after the demo I too became an owner. He ended up moving on to Seaton Cats (good decision) and I stayed the JTR course but we both found out that for Home Theater use, high efficiency designs trump Audiophile speakers all day long. With the refinements Jeff had made over the past few years, his speakers can compete with anything on the market for HT use. There are many variables that effect what we hear and what we like, but the latest generation Noesis JTR's sound fantastic and are a stupid good value.

The 210RT is perhaps the most interesting speaker Jeff has made thus far and I'm anxious to hear them. The 215's are the flagship and their full range (movies and music) capability make them truly unique. But not many can accommodate a speaker of that size so the 210's with a smaller form factor and good LF extension for music become an interesting choice. In fact, if I were building a new system from scratch and looking for a killer Atmos HT setup, I might just go for the 210RT LCR's, 7 Single 8's (LP's for the surrounds and Slanted's for the ceiling) and 4 Cap 1400 subs. I think that would be a world class setup.
Gooddoc, rhed, asoofi1 and 2 others like this.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28720 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
LOL, I did not want to touch that one if you know what I mean LOL!!
Haha!

It is easy to think it could happen if you don't understand how the active presets work on an amp like the iTech.
post #28721 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Back to Interstellar, is it just me or is that fim an hour too long? It has some great bits and the audio is "stellar" but I felt myself growing older watching it. Many complained about dialog intelligibility but with our super CD's we JTR owners don't have to worry. Even with McConaughey mumbling like in his Lincoln ads, I heard every word ... even the ones I could have done without . The liftoff, worm hole and black hole scenes were epic from a sound and visual perspective.

I remember a discussion with forum member Fugueness about dialog intelligibility. He owned about 2000 films and is in the business so for him clear dialog was paramount. At the time he had some nice Aerial 7T mains and the horizontal soft dome MTM center channel and had heard about the first gen JTR Triple 12HT's. Upon investigation they were so "cheap" be bought a set as potential LCR's. He was so enthusiastic about the JTR's that I had to hear them and after the demo I too became an owner. He ended up moving on to Seaton Cats (good decision) and I stayed the JTR course but we both found out that for Home Theater use, high efficiency designs trump Audiophile speakers all day long. With the refinements Jeff had made over the past few years, his speakers can compete with anything on the market for HT use. There are many variables that effect what we hear and what we like, but the latest generation Noesis JTR's sound fantastic and are a stupid good value.

The 210RT is perhaps the most interesting speaker Jeff has made thus far and I'm anxious to hear them. The 215's are the flagship and their full range (movies and music) capability make them truly unique. But not many can accommodate a speaker of that size so the 210's with a smaller form factor and good LF extension for music become an interesting choice. In fact, if I were building a new system from scratch and looking for a killer Atmos HT setup, I might just go for the 210RT LCR's, 7 Single 8's (LP's for the surrounds and Slanted's for the ceiling) and 4 Cap 1400 subs. I think that would be a world class setup.
Couldn't agree more with your points:

JTR's are an incredible value.
If I were just buying I would build the exact system you mention....exactly.

Nabs17
post #28722 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

I'm glad you said that. I went to see Intersteller at the IMAX and there were so many parts that we couldn't understand the dialog. The gf kept asking "what was that?." I figured it was poor eq in that theater so it must be in the mix. I did pick it up this week but haven't had a chance to revisit it yet. I look forward to hearing what the 215RMs will do.
post #28723 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'm glad you said that. I went to see Intersteller at the IMAX and there were so many parts that we couldn't understand the dialog. The gf kept asking "what was that?." I figured it was poor eq in that theater so it must be in the mix. I did pick it up this week but haven't had a chance to revisit it yet. I look forward to hearing what the 215RMs will do.
My wife had a couple of those moments but I heard what she didn't. Caffeine helps get though this one without dozing.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28724 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone have any up close pictures of the base finish of any JTR's? After reading everyone's impressions of the 210Rt I'm pretty much sold that I'll be purchasing a pair once Jeff gets moved to his new digs. In the meantime, I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and grab one of his 210RM's that he has for sale right now. I have some older jtr's but they're veneered so I've never seen the base finish in person. These will be used in my living room so I'm just trying to decide if I need to wait for a whole veneered/painted set or I can grab one of the 210rms on sale right now. Thanks fellas.
post #28725 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Anyone have any up close pictures of the base finish of any JTR's? After reading everyone's impressions of the 210Rt I'm pretty much sold that I'll be purchasing a pair once Jeff gets moved to his new digs. In the meantime, I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and grab one of his 210RM's that he has for sale right now. I have some older jtr's but they're veneered so I've never seen the base finish in person. These will be used in my living room so I'm just trying to decide if I need to wait for a whole veneered/painted set or I can grab one of the 210rms on sale right now. Thanks fellas.
The standard finish is pretty boring. Not rough truck bed liner like in the past but still very industrial looking. I like it but then my speakers are behind a screen in a dedicated room.
I heard through the grapevine that there might be a Ferrari red pair of 210RT's at Axpona in Chicago in a couple of weeks. If that happens, it should give you a good look at whats possible with a painted finish.

Here are a couple of pics of the 215's with the standard finish:

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28726 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I've seen the Laborghini black 215RT last year at the Axpona. Very nice paint job. Though I still like the standard finish. Very though and agressive. I have not one complain about the finish when I have show offs at my place. First impressions are mostly. WTH! Those are huge. Looks crazy! Then when I play them I get.. OMG! They sound very big but accurate and clean.. Well like that in some way.😄
Btw, my family and I will be flying up to California next week. And during that trip, we'll be stopping by RMK's place. I can't wait to meet him who been through almost all the top of the line JTR speakers. And of course his famous HT. Will be my first time hearing ATMOS. I have the feeling after this demo, I'll be going down that ATMOS road too.. Hehe..
RMK! likes this.

Last edited by rhed; 04-04-2015 at 06:10 PM.
post #28727 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 312
The Sheffield Labs Drum track is simply amazing! JTR & Seaton Combo! It's definitely on my demo list.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #28728 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

You said 7 single 8's okay 4 for surrounds how did you use the other 3 in the ceiling? I thought you had to have 4 speakers for the ceiling
For atmos.
Allen
post #28729 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I was thinking that since he is in Hawaii that maybe the volcano crater adds the reverb needed for the 4th speaker.

Yea I was trying to visualize 7 speakers myself.
post #28730 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Who wants to go post in this thread? Most here probably listen at least 20 dB louder that what is listed.

How loud do you listen?
post #28731 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I was thinking that since he is in Hawaii that maybe the volcano crater adds the reverb needed for the 4th speaker.

Yea I was trying to visualize 7 speakers myself.
Huh? Who's in Hawaii?
post #28732 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Sorry - thought RMK lived in Hawaii.
post #28733 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well whatyaknow.. Tidal has Bass Mekanic albums.. Including Bassotronics.. haha! Friggin crazy stuffs. Matter of fact its my first time listening to any of those albums. My favorite so far is Just Bass, Bass I Love you, and Sub Bass Excursion from Bassotronics . Geez! The head pressure and the internal organs vibrating.. HAHA crazy stuff.. nice!
RMK! likes this.

Last edited by rhed; 04-04-2015 at 09:56 PM.
post #28734 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 11:09 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
You said 7 single 8's okay 4 for surrounds how did you use the other 3 in the ceiling? I thought you had to have 4 speakers for the ceiling
For atmos.
Allen
Ok, make that 8 single 8's.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28735 of 29412 Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I've seen the Laborghini black 215RT last year at the Axpona. Very nice paint job. Though I still like the standard finish. Very though and agressive. I have not one complain about the finish when I have show offs at my place. First impressions are mostly. WTH! Those are huge. Looks crazy! Then when I play them I get.. OMG! They sound very big but accurate and clean.. Well like that in some way.😄
Btw, my family and I will be flying up to California next week. And during that trip, we'll be stopping by RMK's place. I can't wait to meet him who been through almost all the top of the line JTR speakers. And of course his famous HT. Will be my first time hearing ATMOS. I have the feeling after this demo, I'll be going down that ATMOS road too.. Hehe..
Looking forward to it.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28736 of 29412 Old 04-05-2015, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Happy easter everyone.

Enjoying Bourne Ultimatum with 2.1 setup - JTR S8-LP + Seaton Submersive HP+.

Easily beats my 7.1 def tech setup.

Cant wait for an all JTR speaker setup

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
post #28737 of 29412 Old 04-05-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
The standard finish is pretty boring. Not rough truck bed liner like in the past but still very industrial looking. I like it but then my speakers are behind a screen in a dedicated room.
I heard through the grapevine that there might be a Ferrari red pair of 210RT's at Axpona in Chicago in a couple of weeks. If that happens, it should give you a good look at whats possible with a painted finish.

Here are a couple of pics of the 215's with the standard finish:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
I've seen the Laborghini black 215RT last year at the Axpona. Very nice paint job. Though I still like the standard finish. Very though and agressive. I have not one complain about the finish when I have show offs at my place. First impressions are mostly. WTH! Those are huge. Looks crazy! Then when I play them I get.. OMG! They sound very big but accurate and clean.. Well like that in some way.
Thanks fellas. I think I'll give Jeff a call tomorrow and get a 210rm ordered. I'll put in the order for the 210rt's once he's settled in his new place.

Dang it. I told myself I wouldn't make any ht purchases until I was done with the rest of my home remodel. This site (and this thread in particular) is bad for my wallet.

Happy Easter guys.
RMK! and rhed like this.
post #28738 of 29412 Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Happy Easter guys.
And Happy Easter to you too!
post #28739 of 29412 Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Thanks fellas. I think I'll give Jeff a call tomorrow and get a 210rm ordered. I'll put in the order for the 210rt's once he's settled in his new place.

Dang it. I told myself I wouldn't make any ht purchases until I was done with the rest of my home remodel. This site (and this thread in particular) is bad for my wallet.

Happy Easter guys.
Yes, well all know the risk associated with frequent visits to the site. The upside is the pleasure of hearing our favorite music rendered perfectly and/or the fanfare at the beginning of a great movie we have been anxious to watch. Those moments make it all worth it.

HToM

Opinions are not facts.
post #28740 of 29412 Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Sorry - thought RMK lived in Hawaii.
That's a pleasant thought ... Mahalo